• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

Does suspend and resume pause the timer?

Also, just noticed your tag links to Bish's twitter. So are you now officially ban-proof? lol

Pretty sure suspend and resume on PS4 and Xbox one does. But i'm on PC so I can't do that. I guess if I wanted to I could change values so that I minus a save I made since I was going to come right back or something. More work than me just complaining though lol. Nah i'm far from banned proof, but i'm more or less free to make all the Dino Crisis threads I can handle. I use that power for good though.

Been playing Nemesis on my PSPgo

Definitely the classic RE I've played the least but I enjoy it more each time I play it. Love the pacing, action, scenario choices, and the plethora of zombies. Nemesis fights are fun even if most times I just run away to save ammo.

Story is pretty weak compared to 1&2 but it's a great game all the same. I've always been confused as to why so many people write it off and it seems like those who disparage it are huge fans of CVX....which leads me to this,

CVX is a good game as well but it definitely jumped the shark in terms of story telling and really set the trend for annoying, overly dramatic characters (prior to CVX the series felt unintentionally campy, especially RE1, but the motivations seemed realistic given the situation everyone was in, CVX is just dumb in the way characters act). The resurrection of Wesker was a huge mistake as well, IMO.

CVX was definitely a step back in terms of gameplay too, can't walk up stairs, no dodge, etc. It also has a complete lack of headshots, never understood that (the animation is there but the head remains attached). That right there is some bullshit.

I also feel that the 3D environments were actually a bad thing, everything looks so stale and clean (though I do recognize that the graphics are good in their own right), I much prefer the pre-rendered backgrounds. I know some people really dislike the lighting engine in the HD remaster but I prefer it, feels like it adds much more atmosphere to the game.

Point being, RE3 deserves less hate and more love.

Junahu

I always thought Resident Evil games have a specific pause button that stops the game and displays "pause" on the screen. Inventory and Map screens count the timer for obvious reasons. I didn't think the pause screen would still count.

It could be worse I guess. At least it's not Dead Rising's Infinity mode, where you can't even save, and need to play for 14 hours straight.

Jawmuncher

I always thought Resident Evil games have a specific pause button that stops the game and displays "pause" on the screen. Inventory and Map screens count the timer for obvious reasons. I didn't think the pause screen would still count.

It could be worse I guess. At least it's not Dead Rising's Infinity mode, where you can't even save, and need to play for 14 hours straight.

I think it depends on the RE game. Some I know for sure count time while even on the pause screen.

finley83

Banned
There's always one thing I never liked about the old school resident evil games. Which is how selfish they are with the person playing. If you want a decent rank you can't save much, but you also can't pause the game since the counter still ticks. So at least for me, it always feels like before I play some old school RE I gotta be committed in doing so. Like having a free evening or something.

Like I can't just go "Oh i'm going to play for 30 minutes and take a break". I waste a save and hurt my rank.
Then again i'm playing RE:0 again and I was never going to get super good ranks anyway. So I don't know why I care.

REmake and RE0 on Wii actually pause the timer if you press the Home button, which certainly makes things a bit less stressful. Don't think there is a solution if you're playing any other platform though.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
The no pause thing is kind of a drag. Especially on RE0 since it's just a longer game. No save runs are pretty terrible too, since Lurkers don't show up until the last 1/4 of the game. I'm going to get infinite ammo and just cheese my way through S rank.

Never bothered with it before on Zero, but kind of want it now for some reason

Neff

If I'm playing for speed then I usually run for toilet breaks or drinks/food during cutscenes.

You have to know where the long ones are though, and even they aren't that long.

Ludens

Banned
Did Leon B too, now my trip is over.
Anyway, I still don't understand how
Ada survived.

One time
she fell into the void, another she got murdered by Mr. X
, and after two seconds
she is ok giving you the rocket launcher.

It doesn't make sense, even if
Wesker saved her, how can she be ok in less than two minutes.

Now I think I'll go with RE3, even if I played this to death (I remember when I went to school, there was a week I was sick, so I played for three times, once per morning, RE3, trying to unlock all epilogues), but that was...man, 17 years ago :\
I'm old.

Ada survived.

One time
, and after two seconds

YsbKHg1.gif

Junahu

Ada survived.
The thing about RE2 is that it doesn't actually say that
she survives the laboratory exploding, merely that she had enough energy after 'dieing' to get up and drop a weapon to you. It's meant to be her final redemption for betraying Leon. If the story was to be taken in isolation, then it'd be fairly clear that Ada doesn't survive.

I personally prefer the bridge death, because it's a little more ambiguous, and you can always pretend her fall was broken by something soft, like that gigantic mutated plant that's growing in the main shaft.

It's best to ignore official canon when playing older RE games. Official canon uses whatever events give them the best options for sequels. Just treat the games as their own stories, and come to the conclusions that make sense to you.

Man, I really don't like how Lady HUNK is designed.

I know it's fan service and I don't have to buy it, but it kinda drives me up the wall how her legs are exposed and HUNK'S is not.

It's pretty shitty imo

Also, playing the first RE: Revelations on the Wii U is making me questioning how I played the 3DS version without the second directional nub.

I'd be more then willing to double dip for a the STEAM version

Dreading that first boss D:

Neiteio

Man, I really don't like how Lady HUNK is designed.

I know it's fan service and I don't have to buy it, but it kinda drives me up the wall how her legs are exposed and HUNK'S is not.

It's pretty shitty imo

Also, playing the first RE: Revelations on the Wii U is making me questioning how I played the 3DS version without the second directional nub.

I'd be more then willing to double dip for a the STEAM version

Dreading that first boss D:
I actually prefer the single-stick controls of the 3DS original. When I start my PS3 copy (which arrived today) I'll be using those same controls (listed as "Classic" in the options). The reason I prefer them is because I like having camera control with the second stick. You can still strafe and such while aiming if you hold the L button.

Agreed on Lady Hunk being a silly design, although I suppose in her favor, it makes her stand out. I mean, she's a gasmask-wearing commando... with no pants. That's kind of amazing, lol.

Jawmuncher

Would be cool if Ada had a mild strain of T-Virus from wesker. That just kind of allowed her to survive these almost killing blows.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man that Helena Harper police uniform is sexy.
Helena is the best looking girl (woman) in the series. Jill is the coolest though.

Weiss

Banned
I actually prefer the single-stick controls of the 3DS original. When I start my PS3 copy (which arrived today) I'll be using those same controls (listed as "Classic" in the options). The reason I prefer them is because I like having camera control with the second stick. You can still strafe and such while aiming if you hold the L button.

Agreed on Lady Hunk being a silly design, although I suppose in her favor, it makes her stand out. I mean, she's a gasmask-wearing commando... with no pants. That's kind of amazing, lol.

I like the 3DS/single stick gameplay because it makes shooting cumbersome and awkward. You can't dance around enemies, you have to carefully and slowly point and shoot at them.

ReRev3DS was honestly something I was hoping would become a template for more 3DS survival horror games.

Jawmuncher

Remember when Revelations 3DS was gonna be 50 dollars and they back pedaled?
I also remember pre-ordering the game at gamestop and not getting the case. I was pretty pissed about that.

Jawmuncher

I still want a RE title to just go all out one day. Have literally every character of the series show up at some point.

TreIII

...A great warmup exercise for Revelations, and it makes me wish they'd make a dedicated Mercs game for consoles.

One of these days Capcom will release a Resident Evil: Mercenaries game for consoles and PC, and it'll be great.

If it weren't for the fact that Umbrella Corps is RIGHT THERE, I would say that another easy game to go along with RE/Bio's anniversary would have been a full-fledged Mercs+Raid release for consoles.

Ah, well...

Jawmuncher

If it weren't for the fact that Umbrella Corps is RIGHT THERE, I would say that another easy game to go along with RE/Bio's anniversary would have been a full-fledged Mercs+Raid release for consoles.

Ah, well...

An all mercs games on consoles & PC would be amazing. Mercs was so close, but being 3DS only hurt it. Well that and coming out before the CPP was out. Well also I might add the layout was kind of odd. Since it was like the last level was the actual merc map. Dunno why they didn't have a seperate section from the Merc missions for those who just wanted to play maps and get a high score.

Neiteio

I still want a RE title to just go all out one day. Have literally every character of the series show up at some point.
I want an RE game with multiple teams that are all part of one continuous story, RER-style, and they mix and match as the story goes on.

So what starts as:

- Chris and Jill
- Leon and Claire
- Jake and Sherry
- Barry and Moira

...goes on to become Chris and Leon, Jill and Claire, Chris and Barry, Jill and Barry, Leon and Sherry, Claire and Sherry, Chris and Jake, etc.

Just think about the background of each pairing. Barry as the father figure to Chris and Claire, Sherry having been saved by Leon and Claire, etc.

And along the way, other characters like Rebecca and Sheva could show up. And you could have multiple competing organizations sending in spies/double agents, so both Ada -and- Jessica could appear. Maybe they could even be competing against each other!

Ada survived.

One time
, and after two seconds

Now I think I'll go with RE3, even if I played this to death (I remember when I went to school, there was a week I was sick, so I played for three times, once per morning, RE3, trying to unlock all epilogues), but that was...man, 17 years ago :\
I'm old.

I dunno, how do two people fall in love after about 5 minutes of dialogue and how could Leon after barely that possibly claim that he knew Ada well enough to tell that she couldn't be a spy.
It's Resident Evil.

Weiss

Banned
I dunno, how do two people fall in love after about 5 minutes of dialogue and how could Leon after barely that possibly claim that he knew Ada well enough to tell that she couldn't be a spy.
It's Resident Evil.

You don't understand.

She's just a woman.

Who's in love with him.

*dies*

Neiteio

An all mercs games on consoles & PC would be amazing. Mercs was so close, but being 3DS only hurt it. Well that and coming out before the CPP was out. Well also I might add the layout was kind of odd. Since it was like the last level was the actual merc map. Dunno why they didn't have a seperate section from the Merc missions for those who just wanted to play maps and get a high score.
The nine EX levels (which include all eight maps, plus a second round on Deserted Island) are the game's equivalent of "full Mercs levels." Those are the ones that throw everything and the kitchen sink at the player. All of the prior missions are teaching you different skills and ramping up the tension with increasingly complex arrangements. And while you'd think those levels would be easy for Mercs vets like ourselves, they still gave me a workout when I was going for certain ranks to unlock different characters.

One of the best additions in Mercs 3D is how A-ranking (or maybe it was S-ranking) all of the levels prior to the EX levels with any given character will unlock that character's loadout for all of the other characters. Hence how I'm currently playing as BSAA Jill with Krauser's longbow, rocket launcher and grenades!

Jawmuncher

The nine EX levels (which include all eight maps, plus a second round on Deserted Island) are the game's equivalent of "full Mercs levels." Those are the ones that throw everything and the kitchen sink at the player. All of the prior missions are teaching you different skills and ramping up the tension with increasingly complex arrangements. And while you'd think those levels would be easy for Mercs vets like ourselves, they still gave me a workout when I was going for certain ranks to unlock different characters.

One of the best additions in Mercs 3D is how A-ranking (or maybe it was S-ranking) all of the levels prior to the EX levels with any given character will unlock that character's loadout for all of the other characters. Hence how I'm currently playing as BSAA Jill with Krauser's longbow, rocket launcher and grenades!

I actually used play coins to unlock different load outs. But yeah future merc games that is how it should be. Different load outs, use whatever character you want, even if you have to unlock them.

TreIII

Yeah, but at this point, I think the main thing is how would you warrant a 40-50 dollar MSRP tag for a Mercs release. Even UC is settling for a budgeted price point, which makes me think that they would have to go all out with content, characters and fanservice.

Maybe that "roster" posted earlier would be on the right track...

News Bot

Banned
It's Resident Evil.

It has less to do with it being Resident Evil and more with it being time-constrained fiction. Plenty of movies do the same thing. You're meant to imagine that Leon and Ada spent more time together than the game implies, simply because the writers were constrained by how much they could put in the game. BIO2 is a crowning achievement in video game storytelling for its time, considering it was done in less than a year with four scenarios and the Zapping System, although that was under-utilized due to the aforementioned time constraints.

Ah, well...

Just awhile back, I just realized that Capcom hadn't ported 3D Mercs on to STEAM which blew my mind because I had thought that would be easy money to have with +Steam Workshop support.

Is co-oping in RE5 on Steam random based or based on who on your friends list has a copy of the game?

On a completely different subject, does anyone think RE7 will be PS4/PC?

strafer

Just awhile back, I just realized that Capcom hadn't ported 3D Mercs on to STEAM which blew my mind because I had thought that would be easy money to have with +Steam Workshop support.

Is co-oping in RE5 on Steam random based or based on who on your friends list has a copy of the game?

On a completely different subject, does anyone think RE7 will be PS4/PC?

Wouldn't surprise me if they release it on PS3 and 360 as well.

The only reason Leon let himself get strung along for 2/3's of his campaign to what was obviously an annoying and unnecessary set up/ambush. He's gotta have that ass.

braves01

Banned
It's Resident Evil.

Steve professed his love to Claire pretty quick, too, though I imagine having to kill your own father and turning into biorganic weapon on the same day might lead to some emotional instability.

Jawmuncher

Carlos though, what happened to that guy is what I wanna know. Seemed like he was gonna get it in where Chris failed too. Still think secretly capcom wants to keep Chris sexual preference unknown. Considering they cut out the stuff from Lost in Nightmares.

News Bot

Banned
Carlos though, what happened to that guy is what I wanna know. Seemed like he was gonna get it in where Chris failed too. Still think secretly capcom wants to keep Chris sexual preference unknown. Considering they cut out the stuff from Lost in Nightmares.

The Lost in Nightmares banter was cut because it interfered with the atmosphere. It's hard to be spooked when your characters are talking about some chick one of them wants to bang. I'm surprised something like that was written at all.

The Lost in Nightmares banter was cut because it interfered with the atmosphere. It's hard to be spooked when your characters are talking about some chick one of them wants to bang. I'm surprised something like that was written at all.

What cut banter are you guys referring to?

Junahu

It's Resident Evil.
They have feelings for one another because it was a zombie apocalypse and they helped eachother out multiple times. The dedication Leon shows to Ada is rather disarming to her, as she's a spy accustomed to being cold and emotionally distant.

From Leon's perspective, this is the first survivor he has met in the RPD, that didn't die in front of him. He probably feels a strong obligation to save her, to honor Marvin's dieing request.
There's also the blatant sexual attraction thing going on, what with the camera pan used to introduce Ada and all.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
After Revelations' dialogue, nothing will surprise me, lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I like to imagine there's just one guy at Capcom who really loves Dino Crisis and brings it up all the time when pitching ideas, and no one else pays him any mind.

:(

Helena is the best looking girl (woman) in the series. Jill is the coolest though.

I'm a huge fan of the RE girls but for some reason Helena didn't do much for me.
Best looking for me is Sheva followed by Ada.
I've always had a thing for Claire, there's just something about her, a certain charm if you will.
With Jill it depends on the game lol, they just change her too much, something in her RE3 face always felt off to me and Revelations is just lol.
She's amazing in REmake and 5 though.

Leon and Ada really need to get it on btw, the sexual tension in RE6 went beyond breaking point.

Top Bottom