• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Heyya guys, I never post in here but I'm gonna start RE0 today (I know everyone's favorite). I'm wondering what the difficulty is like on this game? I usually play on easy because I'm terrible at survival horror and just really love the atmosphere, thanks for any advice!

Hardest main game alongside CV. But unlike the latter, there is an easy difficulty.

Hardest main game alongside CV. But unlike the latter, there is an easy difficulty.

CV is one of the easiest games. You get way too much ammo for a game where not many enemies compared to other games. Killing every enemy on the Island you should still reach antartic with 250+ handgun bullets.

CV is one of the easiest games. You get way too much ammo for a game where not many enemies compared to other games. Killing every enemy on the Island you should still reach antartic with 250+ handgun bullets.
I may be wrong on this, but isn't the knife in CV pretty darn good, as well? Leaving you even more ammo saved by the end.

Yet it was commonly reported that people had to start the game over before the antarctic because of not being prepared for the plane fight.

Yet it was commonly reported that people had to start the game over before the antarctic because of not being prepared for the plane fight.

That is just how the game suddenly blocks off areas and cuts you off from resources if you didn't pick them up. Or they wasted heavy ammo on zombies.

But there's a chest in the plane before the boss fight.

But if you didn't pick up for example, the grenade launcher, since it's in a location with many items and needs a fair bit of backtracking to get to, if you leave it there with intent to go back, you cannot go get it.

If you wasted GL ammo or explosive bow rounds on zombies, the worm or bandersnatches, well the shitload of handgun ammo and regular bow rounds isn't good for a Tyrant fight where high damage weapons are needed.

As long as game was played with small bit of common sense, there shouldn't be any issues with the plane fight (which doesn't even need ammo, if you launch the crate enough times it just kills it in the end).

Anybody know how much original GameCube copies of Resident Evil, RE2, and Zero go for? I'm trying to scrounge up some cash and want to sell these for an okay amount.

RE2 seems to be about $30 on a quick glance.

Zambatoh

Anybody know how much original GameCube copies of Resident Evil, RE2, and Zero go for? I'm trying to scrounge up some cash and want to sell these for an okay amount.

So basically the price tag hasn't dropped in the last decade. Sounds about right.

It's been a long time since I've played Code Veronica but if I remember correctly my biggest issue with the CV tyrant fight in the plane cargo hold was the confined space your fighting him in.

They run around that much unless you get lucky in finding one in a local resale shop, of which unfortunately GCN titles aren't as prevalent as the Xbox or PS2. If you get lucky though, $15 is about what they usually go for.

I'm currently hunting down Outbreak File #2, as well as a PS2 with all the fixins' in good condition.

Neiteio

Those following my RE2 LTTP know that I've since moved onto RE3: Nemesis. And man — I might like this game even more.

Everything in the city up through the trolley escape was sublime. Perfection. Endlessly varied and exciting. Beautifully balanced, well-paced, and downright harrowing at times — hobbling along at length, clutching my sides, little ammo, few herbs, fewer ribbons. Dogs bursting out of storefront windows and jumping through fires; hordes of zombies spilling down alleyways I'd previously cleared out, or climbing out of cars, or crashing through gates, or breaking through windows. And Nemesis showing up when I least expect it. "STAAAAAAAAARRRSSS!"

And when I left off earlier today, I had just assembled the "chronos gear" inside the clocktower and used it to ring the bell. The chapel is like a mini-mansion — a great change of pace from the city proper. I'm eager to see where this game will go next.

If RE3 can stick the landing, it may be one of my favorite RE titles, full stop. What a great sequel to RE2!

Those following my RE2 LTTP know that I've since moved onto RE3: Nemesis. And man — I might like this game even more.

Everything in the city up through the trolley escape was sublime. Perfection. Endlessly varied and exciting. Beautifully balanced, well-paced, and downright harrowing at times — hobbling along at length, clutching my sides, little ammo, few herbs, fewer ribbons. Dogs bursting out of storefront windows and jumping through fires; hordes of zombies spilling down alleyways I'd previously cleared out, or climbing out of cars, or crashing through gates, or breaking through windows. Nemesis showing up when I least expect it. SO GOOD.

And when I left off earlier today, I had just assembled the "chronos gear" inside the clocktower and used it to ring the bell. The chapel is like a mini-mansion — a great change of pace from the city proper.

If RE3 can stick the landing, it may be one of my favorite RE titles, full stop. What a great sequel to RE2!

RE3 was my introduction to the series, and remains high on the list due to how well fleshed out Raccoon City is in it. It's good to see that you're enjoying it!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Attempted to play RE6 on PSNow. Kinda sucked with muddy visuals and input lag.

Guess that service has a ways to go before it's viable for action games.

Neiteio

RE3 was my introduction to the series, and remains high on the list due to how well fleshed out Raccoon City is in it. It's good to see that you're enjoying it!
I'm super-impressed by how "complete" the city feels. Restaurants, stores, warehouses, offices, a parking garage, a gas station, the local newspaper, City Hall, even a return visit to the RPD. And the way new threats are continually introduced in every area, including ones you've already cleared out once or twice, makes it feel like an actual zombie apocalypse.

Ludens

Banned
Lol for people saying CV is easy. For the first hour or so you are literally screwed, there are no ammo, only a few healing items and the game puts you costantly in situations in which you CAN'T avoid damage (like the start of the game in the graveyard, where you will take a bit for sure since there are ton of zombies and you can't dodge properly; the same applies in the location when zombies ambush you and you can grab the smb; bandersnatches hitting you even when you dodge them, also they can reach you in a sec).

And as another user said, you can screw up yourself if you don't spare enough ammo for Antartica. Because if you are playing without a guide for the first time, you don't even know there's another big section and you NEED to swap characters and the second one will use items you put in the box. CV is very long too compared to other RE games (in fact you need to complete it with 4.30 hours and less to take S rank, while in example RE2 barely takes 2 hours for a full game), so it's really possible a player won't thing about a whole new section after the plane fight.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Not on hard difficulty. I played every RE game on the hardest difficulty available during my first playthrough, Code Veronica was one of the last mainline RE's I played, and it was far harder than most of the other entries on hard difficulty.

The hardest RE's on hard difficulty would be Zero, Code Veronica, Revelations 1 (Infernal), and Revelations 2.

Zero gets hard due to being much less supplies than other RE games on hard (I think I've ran low/out of ammo more in Zero than any other RE game), and some enemies are very much huge problems on hard (stares down the Exterminators and Leechmen).

Revelations 1 has some super high difficulty spikes on Infernal; it has pretty big segments where it's just an average challenge, but then suddenly spikes up the difficulty for a certain segment. The hardest parts are probably the first chapter, and the last chapter.

Revelations 2 makes you really scavenge for supplies, have to play intelligently, and some of the bosses and moments really take all your wits to complete, and you have to playing sparing every supply you have a lot of the time for those tough encounters.

Code Veronica has some absolute difficulty spikes, segments where you have to do something neigh perfectly to not die, and a number of enemies that can punish you harshly (Bandersnatches, so many poison enemies, many of the boss fights, etc.) as well as more deathtraps than any other RE game.

Ludens

Banned
Not on hard difficulty. I played every RE game on the hardest difficulty available during my first playthrough, Code Veronica was one of the last mainline RE's I played, and it was far harder than most of the other entries on hard difficulty.

The hardest RE's on hard difficulty would be Zero, Code Veronica, Revelations 1 (Infernal), and Revelations 2.

Zero gets hard due to being much less supplies than other RE games on hard (I think I've ran low/out of ammo more in Zero than any other RE game), and some enemies are very much huge problems on hard (stares down the Exterminators and Leechmen).

Revelations 1 has some super high difficulty spikes on Infernal; it has pretty big segments where it's just an average challenge, but then suddenly spikes up the difficulty for a certain segment. The hardest parts are probably the first chapter, and the last chapter.

Revelations 2 makes you really scavenge for supplies, have to play intelligently, and some of the bosses and moments really take all your wits to complete, and you have to playing sparing every supply you have a lot of the time for those tough encounters.

Code Veronica has some absolute difficulty spikes, segments where you have to do something neigh perfectly to not die, and a number of enemies that can punish you harshly (Bandersnatches, so many poison enemies, many of the boss fights, etc.) as well as more deathtraps than any other RE game.

What do you mean? CV has only one difficulty setting (easy is for JAP version only). Also you can't kill at all all enemies before Antartica on CV, is simply impossible. You can do that only if you kill all zombies with the knife, but even by doing so, you still need a lot of ammo. Killing dogs or Bandersnatches with the knife is a nono, you risk to take so much damage.

Oh, another thing: in CV there are a lot of sections where you can die istantly, because of traps or some specific boss attacks (I remember with Chris you can die istantly if Alexia first form touches you).

I think CV will be the only RE I won't even bother to A rank, it's just frustrating. Great game, but you can't use First Aid Spray (and hell if you need those), you can't save (and hell if there are sections in which you will die, since you can'theal you)...I'll just pass and complete it one time.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil games seem to hold price pretty well not counting like 4-6. Dead Aim still runs about 20 complete and in good condition. Gun Survivor I have seen go all over the place.

Neiteio

I beat Nemesis in the chapel courtyard, but I used up all my first aid kits and herbs doing so. Since then I've learned I didn't have to fight him on the train. I still have a separate save prior to the train fight. I think I might go back, retrieve some green herbs I missed, and do the train sequence over, this time fleeing from Nemesis. Then when I fight him at the chapel again, I'll have flame rounds and magnum rounds on hand, and more healing items. Goal would be to come out of the chapel fight with health items still in inventory.

If it proves to be too much work, I'll just pick up from my other save, where I'm currently playing Carlos.

Ludens

Banned
I managed to complete Claire's part on CV. Nosferatu killed me twice, but I managed to finally defeat him with the sniper rifle (that heart...I think just a tiny, small part of it count as hitspot, I shooted him a lot but he did no animation, the last time I managed to get four shots at once and it did the trick).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God in some ways I'd almost rather have a remake of 3 than 2. Can't understand how so many dislike that game.

3 is amazing. One of my favorites, hands down. Also I really enjoyed its soundtrack a lot more than RE2 or 1's.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love 2as well but 3 is every bit as good. I really hope they remake 3 after 2.

On a side note how is Code Veronica on ps2?

CV was no doubt difficult. I had to restart the game multiple times since I kept crewing myself over with ammo, and I become quite consertitive with it. I blasted through the island portion of the game in like 2 hours as I had it memorized. I remember I missed the magnum at one point too. I made it to Alexia but never beat her as I had like no resources.

Nemmy will always be my favoriate Tyrant. He looks terrifying. He gives me strong Hellraiser vibes and he's tough as fuck. Probably one of the strongest enemies in the series canon too.

Would have been dope to play Wesker's Umbrella Chronicles chapter in the style of Remake.

Neiteio

God in some ways I'd almost rather have a remake of 3 than 2. Can't understand how so many dislike that game.

Neither can I. 3 is every bit as good.

3 is amazing. One of my favorites, hands down. Also I really enjoyed its soundtrack a lot more than RE2 or 1's.
I'm pretty freaking obsessed with RE3: Nemesis right now. Can't stop thinking about it. "STAAAAAAAAARRRSSS!"

What an amazing 48 hours it's been, playing RE2 and RE3 back to back for the first time.

I think Fancy Clown put it best in my RE2 LTTP when he said RE2 is very smooth and empowering to play, with its abundant resources (not unlike another fan favorite, RE4), while RE3 is more about a challenging and suffocating atmosphere like REmake, starving you for resources and surrounding you with enemies in a dynamic and ever-changing setting.

Both games are great and have their own distinct flavor. I see RE2 and RE3 as halves of a greater whole — a "Raccoon City Saga," if you would.

I hope RE3 will be remade after RE2, although between the two games, RE3 holds up exceptionally well, with detailed backdrops that look surprisingly sharp on my HDTV, improved FMVs and in-game character models, and all-around slick production values.

But I want all of the titles to be updated! If they're going to create Raccoon City assets for a remake of RE2, they might as well do the same for RE3!

I'm sure the RE2 remake will sell extremely well, so people will be primed for an RE3 remake. This is the post-Slenderman era where stalker monsters are in vogue with YouTube personalities, so reintroducing Nemesis could be a hit on social media. :)

Plus, Jill is everyone's waifu. There must still be a market for Bare Shoulders Short Skirt Jill!

Ludens

Banned
CV was no doubt difficult. I had to restart the game multiple times since I kept crewing myself over with ammo, and I become quite consertitive with it. I blasted through the island portion of the game in like 2 hours as I had it memorized. I remember I missed the magnum at one point too. I made it to Alexia but never beat her as I had like no resources.

Nemmy will always be my favoriate Tyrant. He looks terrifying. He gives me strong Hellraiser vibes and he's tough as fuck. Probably one of the strongest enemies in the series canon too.

Would have been dope to play Wesker's Umbrella Chronicles chapter in the style of Remake.

Just completed exactly this section. I found the magnum luckily, but my problem is a damn hunter poisoned me, so I needed to fight Alexia (5 shots out of 6 I had gone, for the magnum) with a crappy health, I'm almost dying. I saved on another slot but in a room with no box (I have some blue herbs stored in it).

What a crap. And all of this after Steve's "fight", in which you NEED to use at least two full cure items because there's no way to dodge his attacks.

Neff

If they do remake 3, I'd be excited for it, but I'd want them to make significant changes to the environments, the story, the cast, and Nemesis himself, to the point where it probably wouldn't resemble the RE3 we know much anymore, so you guys probably don't want me on your team.

But what I'd want to see

- Make Carlos and the rest of the army guys more interesting. If Predator can do it in one helicopter ride, so can RE.
- Provide more diverse outcomes for the 'story decision' junctions, or scrap it. Apart from the first one, which saves you a lot of time if you pick the right one, they mostly lead to insubstantial, arbitrary design reshuffles.
- More indoor locations. I don't feel like the classic RE formula works so well when you spend so much time outdoors. Claustrophobia and the fear of what's in the adjacent room are key (although the outdoor locations in RE2 are some of my favourite areas in the series due to being used sparingly).
- Better (and more) bosses, including Nemesis himself. I've never liked Nemesis' design, and I find fighting him repetitive and rather useless unless I have to, considering the lame items he drops.
- Better endgame. The disposal facility is a really weak, uninteresting area. The game kind of drops off a cliff for me after the park in general.

And all of this after Steve's "fight", in which you NEED to use at least two full cure items because there's no way to dodge his attacks.

Nope.

SPOILERS

HYDE

Banned
Just picked up RE2 and RE3 from the Sony PS3 sale...never have played the original RE games, sucks RE1 isn't on sale too. I did buy the original RE1 disc for PS1 off ebay though, and I am just past the plant mini boss (i think it's a boss) where you poison the water to get to the supplies, etc... behind it. Having fun so far, suprised by how well it holds up, just as good as MGS1 for me. Also, on a off topic note...just started playing the Onimusha series as well, and I have beaten 1(freaking amazing), and I believe I am at the second to last boss in 2. I bought 3 and 4, but don't want to touch them until beating the 2nd.

Neiteio

If they do remake 3, I'd be excited for it, but I'd want them to make significant changes to the environments, the story, the cast, and Nemesis himself, to the point where it probably wouldn't resemble the RE3 we know much anymore, so you guys probably don't want me on your team.

But what I'd want to see

- Make Carlos and the rest of the army guys more interesting. If Predator can do it in one helicopter ride, so can RE.
- Provide more diverse outcomes for the 'story decision' junctions, or scrap it. Apart from the first one, which saves you a lot of time if you pick the right one, they mostly lead to insubstantial, arbitrary design reshuffles.
- More indoor locations. I don't feel like the classic RE formula works so well when you spend so much time outdoors. Claustrophobia and the fear of what's behind that next door are key (although the outdoor locations in RE2 are some of my favourite areas in the series due to being used sparingly).
- Better (and more) bosses, including Nemesis himself. I've never liked Nemesis' design, and I find fighting him repetitive and rather useless unless I have to, considering the lame items he drops.
- Better endgame. The disposal facility is a really weak, uninteresting area. The game kind of drops off a cliff for me after the park in general.
I haven't beaten RE3 yet, so I can't comment on the end-game, but I'd say Carlos is about as interesting as Ada in RE2. I like how his good nature shines through despite Jill's initial suspicion. And this other guy (Nikolai, I think his name is?) seems shady, but I'm not sure what's going on with him. Jill thinks he's dead, but RE operates on comic book logic, and I didn't see him die, so...

I also think the outdoor environments are a big part of this game's unique appeal. The streets and alleyways of Raccoon City form a maze of comparable complexity to the RPD, albeit the focus is less on unraveling it (since most of it is open and interconnected from the start) and more on surviving it (due to the hyper-abundance of monsters and other threats). That being said, I wouldn't mind the interior locations being expanded.

Realizing you need to backtrack for something, and then encountering all kinds of emergent horrors along the way is nothing new with RE3, but this game seems to handle it especially well, constantly phasing in new threats from all directions, making it feel like the city is truly overrun with monsters.

Regarding the split pathways, I haven't played the game as much as you, but I'm intrigued by the premise, even if it's just a light reshuffling here and there. Some of the mix-ups sound neat, like entering the chapel from the burning bedroom if you jump out of the train, vs. entering from the courtyard if you hit the emergency brakes. It's like the difference between entering the RPD in Claire A vs. Leon B, but on a scene-by-scene basis. It also appears that enemy layouts, item distribution, etc, are semi-randomized. Like with the chapel, I hear you can encounter those flea-men in one room, or alternatively more zombies.

As for Nemesis, I think he's fun to fight, but incredibly difficult. I know he can only grab you with his left (?) arm, so it's generally safe to run around his right (?) side, but it's hard to remember this under pressure. And I hear he'll grow tentacles at some point that make this harder to do. I've gotten better at dodging while facing him, however!

I still prefer to run from him. It's fun seeing how far he'll pursue you, and the stuff he does while chasing you is pretty great. He fired an RPG at me in the Marvin room at the RPD!

CV doesn't even have a Hard difficulty. Just Normal, and easy/very easy too in the Japanese version. "Not on hard difficulty" is fictional talk.

It has more ammo resources than any other game in the series compared to how much you actually need. If you're struggling it's not due to the game. As a guess you're ignoring the bowgun unless it has explosives rounds, most players do, but it's actually good against many enemies (zombies tend to eat a lot of arrows compred to how many handgun shots they take but other enemies don't) and it has shitloads of ammo.

The quick deaths don't mean much when they're all easy to avoid.

I may be wrong on this, but isn't the knife in CV pretty darn good, as well? Leaving you even more ammo saved by the end.

Yeah the knife is super overpowered compared to any other knife in a game, but even without it ammo resources are plentiful.

Neff

I haven't beaten RE3 yet, so I can't comment on the end-game, but I'd say Carlos is about as interesting as Ada in RE2.

Carlos is in no way, shape, form or wildly imaginative scenario as interesting as Ada. You'll see.

Actually you've just reminded me of one of my biggest issues with RE3, in that it suffers from an incredibly weak antagonist. RE needs a good human/humanoid foil, because humanity is of course the greatest monster of all. Wesker mark II lite
in a helicopter
just doesn't cut it. Fuck that guy.

Ludens

Banned
The quick deaths don't mean much when they're all easy to avoid.

Eh, but you NEED to know there are traps. Like, I just died in the slab trap with Claire.
I died on Nosferatu too because he threw me out of the platform.
On CV there are way too many insta.death situation, even excluding section when the game literally throws you in a boss fight without a warning (like Alexia form 1).

Neiteio

Carlos is in no way, shape, form or wildly imaginative scenario as interesting as Ada. You'll see.
Oh, I know the premise behind Carlos is simple enough, but I mean in terms of his characterization. Ada has a lot of mystique but your actual encounters with her (meaning what she says and does) are fairly simple.

Also, this is highly subjective, but I kind of like the desolate feeling of RE3's lone wolf quality. It's Jill against the world, most of the time. (Although now I'm playing as Carlos trying to retrieve a vaccine!)

Neff said:
Actually you've just reminded me of one of my biggest issues with RE3, in that it suffers from an incredibly weak antagonist. RE needs a good human/humanoid foil, because humanity is of course the greatest monster of all. Wesker mark II lite
in a helicopter
Ah, so he's a villain, huh? Wasn't far enough to know for sure, but I suspected it.

I'm not sure RE3 has an antagonist problem, though. Nemesis fills that role, I'd say. About as well as other "force of nature" foes like the villains of RE2 (G and Mr. X).

Neff

Not fair to compare Carlos like that. He only got one game. Compared to Ada's 3 and a movie

If you compare RE3 Carlos to RE2 Ada alone, Ada has history, personal motive, double-agency, a fake death/ambiguous return, and genuine chemistry (leading to the series' first and only kiss) with one of the leads. She came back several times because her character in RE2 was so compelling.

Carlos gets slapped and saves Jill a couple of times. Where is he now?
Does anybody care?

Jawmuncher

If you compare RE3 Carlos to RE2 Ada alone, Ada has history, personal motive, double-agency, a fake death/ambiguous return, and genuine chemistry (leading to the series' first and only kiss) with one of the leads. She came back several times because her character in RE2 was so compelling.

Carlos gets slapped and saves Jill a couple of times. Where is he now?
Does anybody care?

Carlos deserves to come back. I think he's the only playable character mainline that hasn't come back really.

in a helicopter

RE2 doesn't have one either. Irons sits in a chair faking friendlyness then we see him ill and dies a moment later. Doesn't even appear in Leon scenario. Then we have Annette who is just kinda pathetic, either helping Claire find Sherry, getting slapped off a rail by Ada or getting herself killed by her monster husband. Her biggest villain moment was shooting Ada before dropping dead.

Neiteio

Carlos reminds me of Parker. Just a good-natured dude trying to do the right thing. I like how Jill doesn't trust him at first because he's working for Umbrella. In a potential remake, they could expand upon that dynamic, the two getting to know each other better and bonding more deeply.

Neff

RE2 doesn't have one either. Irons sits in a chair faking friendlyness then we see him ill and dies a moment later.

But then you have the files lending an enormous amount of conflicting context to that 'friendly' appearance. Fair enough if you missed or ignored them, but holy shit they made Irons a great character. He's deeply twisted and sincerely creepy, which is basically all I want from a RE villain. And I'll take Annette's conflicted agenda of revenge/paternal instinct/professional bias over Nikolai anyday.

Carlos deserves to come back. I think he's the only playable character mainline that hasn't come back really.

Billy only had one game of course, but otherwise, I think you're right.

Neiteio

Irons is definitely a crazy character, hunting down his own men, stuffing the mayor's daughter, etc. But yeah, you have to read the files to realize that. I didn't really think of him as a villain since your interactions with him are so limited.

The villain of RE2, in my eyes, was Birkin, which like Nemesis is a "force of nature." But that's OK. Not every villain needs to be an evil mastermind.

HeelPower

Anyone else agrees there is something really unique about RE3 Jill ?

They struck an amazing balance between making her a competent badass and yet someone who's barely surviving the apocalypse.

Idk what is it but RE3 Jill is the definitive RE/survival protagonist for me.

Mr_Zombie

I disagree. Some quick decisions give you different cut-scenes that supplement the story, some make you explore the location in different order, others affect enemies and items layout. It's really no different than RE2 Claire/Leon A/B scenarios, only this time you can decide in real time which path you choose.

Also, there are at least two bigger decisions than the first one (Neiteio, don't read it if you haven't beaten the game yet!):
- whether you jump from the cable car or use the break not only affects from which side you enter the clock tower, but IIRC also affects the fight with Nemesis at the Clock Tower, since if you pick a certain choice (I don't remember which one) Carlos comes to help you at the beginning of the fight and destroys Nemesis' rocket launcher, which makes the fight play a little differently

- then there's the decision at the bridge leading to the Dead Factory: whether you push Nemesis off the bridge or jump down: not only does it affect whether or not you start from the basement or from the 1st floor, but it also gives you an additional (optional) boss fight and a different ending FMV.

Also, the game has plenty of optional/alternative cut-scenes. Even though I've beaten the game dozens of times, I'm still not sure I've seen them all. The scene at chapel, when
Jill wakes up after taking the vaccine
has at least 3 or 4 different versions depending on whether you
defeated Nemesis or not and whether you let him near the chapel; I think there's also a different dialogue depending on which floor in the hospital you choose to visit first, i.e. if you saw Nicholai murdering Tyrell and being blown out of the window

in a helicopter

Given that at the time RE3 was released Wesker was simply a dude who wears shades in indoor locations (and during a night missions ffs), and his greatest achievement in the whole game was killing Enrico and then being killed by his "ultimate failure" ("Don't come this way! Nooooooo!!") I would say that Nicholai is a much better villain that RE1 Wesker could only dreamed to be. (
Not to mention, if you play a certain route Nicholai can even succeed and survive
).

Also, don't forget that RE3 has another villain - Umbrella itself - but with a twist. You are cooperating with Umbrella's soldiers, mercenaries that were rescued by Umbrella only to be forced to participate in various cleaning operations. You meet both good guys and bad guys; you see some of them dying and others surviving which gives Umbrella's workers a little bit more humanity.

But then you have the files lending an enormous amount of conflicting context to that 'friendly' appearance. Fair enough if you missed or ignored them, but holy shit they made Irons a great character. He's deeply twisted and sincerely creepy, which is basically all I want from a RE villain. And I'll take Annette's conflicted agenda of revenge/paternal instinct/professional bias over Nikolai anyday.

Irons was a little over-the-top for me. Sure, Nicholai is your stereotypical Russian bad guy, but at least for a long time you can think of him as a companion. It's only in the third part of the game you learn about his true agenda and it's still done in quite realistic fashion. Irons on the other hand... we are to believe that a psycho guy with a freaking dungeon (where he kills and stuffs his preys) under his office is the chief of RPD. Yeah... nope.

I liked Annette, though. Her conflicted nature, the way she interacted with Sherry, or still hoped there's at least a bit of humanity in Birkin made her a really interesting character.

Neiteio

So without spoiling anything, what's the general consensus on RE3 from the chapel onwards? I already know the general locations: the mini-mansion-like chapel and clocktower; a local hospital; a park and cemetery; and a factory where Umbrella disposes of BOWs.

The first half of the game — uptown and downtown — is amazing. One of the best experiences I've had with this series.

I suspect the second half will be more linear, like a collection of smaller areas, which is perfectly fine. It'll just make for a different experience.

Given that at the time RE3 was released Wesker was simply a dude who wears shades in indoor locations (and during a night missions ffs), and his greatest achievement in the whole game was killing Enrico and then being killed by his "ultimate failure" ("Don't come this way! Nooooooo!!") I would say that Nicholai is a much better villain that RE1 Wesker could only dreamed to be. (
Not to mention, if you play a certain route Nicholai can even succeed and survive
).

Also, don't forget that RE3 has another villain - Umbrella itself - but with a twist. You are cooperating with Umbrella's soldiers, mercenaries that were rescued by Umbrella only to be forced to participate in various cleaning operations. You meet both good guys and bad guys; you see some of them dying and others surviving which gives Umbrella's workers a little bit more humanity.
Yeah, I find the whole angle with the UBCS to be quite interesting. It appears Umbrella is using these mercs to save face by rescuing civilians (with secret priority for Umbrella affiliates, according to one file). There are well-meaning people on the UBSC, like Carlos, but there are also more dubious types like Nikolai who appear to know what's really going on.

It's also neat how at the same time, Umbrella is sending in Tyrants to cover their tracks, with Mr. X hunting down survivors of the police station in RE2, and Nemesis hunting down members of STARS in RE3.

Mr_Zombie

So without spoiling anything, what's the general consensus on RE3 from the chapel onwards? I already know the general locations: the mini-mansion-like chapel and clocktower; a local hospital; a park and cemetery; and a factory where Umbrella disposes of BOWs.

The first half of the game — uptown and downtown — is amazing. One of the best experiences I've had with this series.

I suspect the second half will be more linear, like a collection of smaller areas, which is perfectly fine. It'll just make for a different experience.

Further locations are much smaller in scope: the hospital is more or less the size of the Clock Tower: three floors with only 1-3 small rooms on each floor (bonus: cut-scenes and enemy layout depend on which floor you pick to visit first), but almost each room contain a puzzle; the park is just a couple of corridors you have to explore (and backtrack) that ends with the cemetery (a single location with a small warehouse). And Dead Factory is smaller than RE1 lab.

The first half of the game is certainly much more interesting when it comes to locations.

Also, a huge tip: when you will be leaving the Clock Tower and heading to the park, bring a lockpick with you. Seriously, this is one of those moments where the game wants you to use an item you forgot you even have, that is stored somewhere at the bottom of the chest; but if you forget it, well, it's backtracking time (through a spiders- or brain suckers-filled corridor).

News Bot

Banned
Further locations are much smaller in scope: the hospital is more or less the size of the Clock Tower: three floors with only 1-3 small rooms on each floor (bonus: cut-scenes and enemy layout depend on which floor you pick to visit first), but almost each room contain a puzzle; the park is just a couple of corridors you have to explore (and backtrack) that ends with the cemetery (a single location with a small warehouse). And Dead Factory is smaller than RE1 lab.

The first half of the game is certainly much more interesting when it comes to locations.

This is actually because BIO3 was doubled in scale halfway into development but still released on its original due date.

Top Bottom