• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Did someone say timeline?!

Code:
BIO HAZARD The Wicked North Sea (1998)
Resident Evil 0 (July 23, 1998 - July 24, 1998)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Beginnings  (July 24, 1998)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Nightmare (July 24, 1998)
Resident Evil (July 24, 1998 - July 25, 1998)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Rebirth  (July 25, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak - Outbreak (September 23, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak - Hellfire (September 23, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2 - wild things (September 24, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2 - underbelly (September 25, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak - The Hive (September 26, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak - Below Freezing Point (September 27, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2 - flashback (September 27, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2 - desperate times (September 27, 1998)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (September 27, 1998 - October 1, 1998)
Resident Evil 2 (September 29, 1998 - September 30, 1998)
The 4th Survivor (September 30, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak - Decisions, Decisions (October 1, 1998)
Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2 - end of the road (October 1, 1998)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Death's Door (October 1, 1998)
Resident Evil Survivor (November 25, 1998 - November 26, 1998)
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X (December 17, 1998 - December 28, 1998)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - Operation Javier (2002)
Resident Evil: Dead Aim (September 23, 2002)
BIOHAZARD Umbrella Chronicles ~Prelude to the Fall~ (2003)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Umbrella's End (February 18, 2003)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Dark Legacy (February 18, 2003)
Resident Evil: Revelations - Terragrigia Panic (2004)
Resident Evil 4 (Autumn, 2004)
separate ways (Autumn, 2004)
Resident Evil: Revelations (2005)
Resident Evil: Degeneration (November, 2005)
Lost in Nightmares (August, 2006)
Resident Evil 5 (March 5, 2009 - March 7, 2009)
Desperate Escape (March 6, 2009 - March 7, 2009)
BIOHAZARD THE STAGE (August, 2010)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Claire - Episode 1: Penal Colony (Early 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Claire - Episode 2: Contemplation (Early 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Claire - Episode 3: Judgment (Early 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Claire - Episode 4: Metamorphosis (Early 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Extra Episode 1: The Struggle (Early-Mid 2011)
Resident Evil: Damnation (Early 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Extra Episode 2: Little Miss (Mid 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Barry - Episode 1: Penal Colony (Mid 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Barry - Episode 2: Contemplation (Mid 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Barry - Episode 3: Judgment (Mid 2011)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Barry - Episode 4: Metamorphosis (Mid 2011)
Resident Evil: The Marhawa Desire (Early 2012)
Resident Evil 6 - Chris' Story (December 24, 2012 - July 1, 2013)
Resident Evil 6 - Jake's Story (December 24, 2012 - July 1, 2013)
Resident Evil 6 - Ada's Story (June 27, 2013 - July 1, 2013)
Resident Evil 6 - Leon's Story (June 29, 2013 - July 1, 2013)
BIOHAZARD heavenly island (2014)
Umbrella Corps (2015)

Why would Umbrella Corps be at the end? Wouldn't that take place in the Raccoon City era?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Why would Umbrella Corps be at the end? Wouldn't that take place in the Raccoon City era?

Umbrella Corps does not actually involve Umbrella or its U.B.C.S. and U.S.S corps. The Umbrella moniker is an ironic title, as the PMCs that that it refers to aren't related to Umbrella at all, instead they are hired by other companies to go into Biohazardous zones and attempt to salvage research for them. It takes place after RE6, at the very least, and was said to take place in the "present day of Resident Evil" in 2015.

Source

joe2187

Banned

Umbrella corps takes place after the clusterfuck of RE6 left the majority of the world in a mess of mass zombie infestations and outbreaks of other B.O.W.s running amok.

Basically a bunch of Rival PMCs are competing against one another to capture B.O.W.s and the research and leftover materials of umbrella to make their own Viruses and B.O.W.s

Zaverious

You would think the FBC or BSAA would have cleaned out the village or what happened at kijuju given that the events happened in 2004 and 2009 respectively.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
You would think the FBC or BSAA would have cleaned out the village or what happened at kijuju given that the events happened in 2004 and 2009 respectively.

Well they did, but there it's hard to get the genie back in the bottle without sterilization, especially when people go back into infected zones before they give the all-clear (Looking at you, random people of "Pueblo, Spain")
That's actually the excuse, btw.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know, I guess the biggest hint we right now have of Resident Evil 7 is it being about a world where B.O.W.'s are common.

At the end of RE6, when you finish all the campaigns, you see Jake in some miscellaneous desert town that seems to be in the Middle East fighting the brute back-shell monsters from RE6, I had always sort of been curious of the context of the scene, since RE has always had evil corporations and the like behind its monster outbreaks, what was the context of this scene?

Now Umbrella Corps has pushed that it is a canon entry to the storyline of the series, and takes place after RE6, and it features companies interested in what Umbrella had done before then, and features a world where there are regions of the planet where I guess some B.O.W.'s just roam free.

I mean, after so many viral outbreaks and scenarios globally, it's only sensible that B.O.W.'s may eventually break out of these contained outbreaks and may become part of the worlds ecosystem in some weird way, but I guess I hadn't really thought they might ever go that direction. But if there's any story string that Resident Evil has gone into since the fall of Umbrella, it's Umbrella's aftermath, and I guess how much their influence is still felt after they've fallen. We've had a cult in RE4 use their own form of B.O.W.'s, Wesker's attempt at a new world order working with Tricell as a company in RE5, a terrorist movement in Revelations 1 to use B.O.W.'s to strike fear, Revelations 2 take of an island full of test subjects to find the key to immortality at the mercy of the hands of a mad woman. Degeneration had B.O.W.'s trading hands to terrorists and being used for freedom fighting, Damnation had it used in a local war for power and warfare, and RE6 had global conspiracies of the people 'who really run the world' using bio-terror as a way to redirect the populace from their corruption and misdeeds.

I expect there to be a villain and a set-up for RE7 obviously, but I wonder if one of the developing story threads is that so much shit has gone down in the RE world, and the issue has now gone globally, that there's really no way to contain it anymore. RE5/Degeneration brought up that B.O.W.'s had entered into the black market and were being used by terrorists groups, which has been a thing for several games now. But maybe these creatures are getting more out of the hands of just shady groups and more into the actual world? It'd be one interesting way to tie in the old main antagonist of the series, Wesker, into it, since his whole deal ended up being about a new world order. But even if he's dead, the world in the series is still sort of going to shit as literal monsters are beginning to populate more and more parts of it. I think it'd be an interesting angle to have literal monsters be something of a threat in their world, monsters that were made for combat, war, and simply killing being something of alpha-predators that run free that escape the grasps of these outbreaks and scenarios.

I don't know, that's maybe not the direction the series is going in, but with the continuous plots about Umbrella's felt presence even after its dead, the sort of ambiguous monsters at the end of RE6, and now an apparently canon game where we learn that the recent sites of outbreaks have, in fact, not been completely wiped out, but are actually festering places of monsters, might all hint at this. The only other clue I think we have right now is obviously Alex is still alive in Natalia, and that on-going Resident Evil Revelations 2 manga, which actually takes place after Revelations 2, and I know News Bot recently posted that an interesting new character popped up in the manga that is deeply connected to the series lore. The RE6 prologue manga had things that popped up in RE6 and such, so curious to see if anything comes from this Revelations 2 manga, partially as it's still on-going, but more so it actually takes place AFTER Revelations 2, so maybe it's actually set-up for something else.

Could someone do me a HUuuuuuGE favor?
Is the list below the best way to play resident evil 6 chronologically?
somone please check (chucky chesse guy, anyone?)

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Could someone do me a HUuuuuuGE favor?
Is the list below the best way to play resident evil 6 chronologically?
somone please check (chucky chesse guy, anyone?)

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

That order was actually made by me since I happened to have ended up with RE6 early, and happy it's really caught on over the years. The list was made when Ada's campaign was unlockable instead of available from the start of the game (which came in a patch a few months after release that also made cutscene QTE's removable and added co-op to Ada's campaign, plus FOV options), but I think it works well, and I'll explain some of my reasoning.

Chris's Chapter 2 and Jake's first two chapters take place around the same time, though Jake's campaign goes a bit further in the story of this era (they take place around 6 months before all the other events in the game). Chris' chapter 1 occurs after this 6 month time jump (his 2nd chapter is a flashback), but I think works as the best first chapter in the game. Jake's first chapter kind of doesn't teach you shit, and I think is best experienced when you're a bit more adjusted to the mechanics of the game. Leon's Chapter 1 has the must tutorial stuff in it, but the three chapters after it all take place immediately after each other, and I actually think Leon's campaign is better enjoyed when you sort of know how to play the game. Chris' first chapter I find to be the best intro because it can be played best for one jumping in like RE4/RE5, which isn't how you should play the game as it's not as enjoyable and not designed in that way, but also opens the player to experiment and learn some things about the game. I think Chris' first two chapters do a good job at opening up the story (Jake's and Leon's stories start with no real explanation in their first chapters, they basically kind of just... Start. Chris' campaign has the best 'intro' to the scenario as Chris is strangely amnesiac and is re-learning/remembering the things around him, and is there when the outbreak begins and transitions into the outbreak, unlike Leon and Jake where the campaign starts when chaos is already well underway).

The rest of it, the middle section especially, I think works very well. The chapter go in a sensible order, I listed some chapters that occur around/at the same time based on difficulty and variety, or which end at slightly later times (Leon and Jake's Chapter 4 end up around the same time, but Leon's chapter goes a bit further than Jake's Chapter 4, and Chris' campaign chapter 4 ends after Leon's Chapter 4, but goes a bit past where Leon's chapter 4 ends, as a simple example) but most events will lead well into each other.well

The final chapters are listed based on final boss difficulty, and overall importance to the story. Jake's final boss is probably the easiest, and his conclusion isn't the best grand finale to the other campaigns either. Chris' contrasts well as it happens alongside Jake's ending, and I think his final boss is the medium difficulty one. Leon's final boss is the longest, and also the hardest, plus his story has the biggest 'climatic finish' to it.

Ada's campaign I still think is enjoyed best last, both because her campaign is quite a bit harder than the other campaigns, but also her story spoils some elements of the other campaigns that I think is best experienced afterwards than during the course of..

I personally think the game is enjoyed much more in this way, but it's everyone's decision of how they want to play. I think it makes the story seem a lot more coherent, plus adds more variety in the game, and surprisingly paces itself rather well. Some dislike the order since there's some segments where campaigns crossover, and since this is a chronological order that means you'll need to play the same scene twice, but these scenes are brief and often have differences between the two campaigns. I've found those I've played with usually have a much more positive opinion of RE6 playing in the chronological order rather than going from campaign to campaign, but see what others think.

I personally think the game is enjoyed much more in this way, but it's everyone's decision of how they want to play. I think it makes the story seem a lot more coherent, plus adds more variety in the game, and surprisingly paces itself rather well. Some dislike the order since there's some segments where campaigns crossover, and since this is a chronological order that means you'll need to play the same scene twice, but these scenes are brief and often have differences between the two campaigns. I've found those I've played with usually have a much more positive opinion of RE6 playing in the chronological order rather than going from campaign to campaign, but see what others think.

Awesome!! cant wait to get this on march 29th, I got it for 16$ bucks from amazon, since they gave me a 20% discount for preordering it, also it supposed to have better resolution , the game is called HD now :) And yeah I guess the list caught on I stumbled this list somewhere in game faqs, not neogaf.

God, RE6 made such a clusterfuck of the story that I don't think it's salvegeable in any way.
RE is at its best when the story is at a smaller scale and the characters are confined to a location along with the threat.
One of the many things Rev2 did right was getting back that feeling of isolation with the characters being left to find their way out of a desperate situation.
Going all over the world blowing shit up... How far we've come from being trapped in a mansion.
In a story that is post RE6 I don't see them going back to that type of setting but hopefully I'm wrong. With the state the world is in they're not going to waste their time on investigating a building or a small town, in this context it'll always have to be something on a much larger scale.

Jawmuncher

God, RE6 made such a clusterfuck of the story that I don't think it's salvegeable in any way.
RE is at its best when the story is at a smaller scale and the characters are confined to a location along with the threat.
One of the many things Rev2 did right was getting back that feeling of isolation with the characters being left to find their way out of a desperate situation.
Going all over the world blowing shit up... How far we've come from being trapped in a mansion.
In a story that is post RE6 I don't see them going back to that type of setting but hopefully I'm wrong. With the state the world is in they're not going to waste their time on investigating a building or a small town, in this context it'll always have to be something on a much larger scale.

How exactly did the RE6 story ruin anything?
Most complaints are on the gameplay, or from people who weren't following the story in the first place always asking for a reboot.

kc44135

This seems like as good a thread as any to ask this. Are there any details on the RE6 Remaster besides it coming out this month? Resolution, framerate, anything? It just seems really odd, because it's coming out in about three weeks, and there's practically no details on it.

Eventually, things had to escalate to that point. You don't have massively influential companies and world power nations involved and then turn around and not explore what happens when someone actually manages to reach some success. Part of what was frustrating in the classic games was that it was either Raccoon City or some mansion, and it didn't seem to look like they were really going to go much further than going from Umbrella facility to another as if we didn't know they were a global company.

It does present some challenges in how to take things further or how to pull things back in scope in a satisfying way, and is something I'm very much concerned about in regards to the series' longevity. Again though, this point was inevitable. Part of why I feel that Third Energy from Dino Crisis being introduced may benefit the games with further avenues of escalation while on that path.

As for RE6 story, nothing was destroyed or was a clusterfuck where things aren't lining up with preestablished canon. Did it have some weird stuff that makes little sense? Sure. I didn't care at all for Simmon's
Ava fetish
being what drives the plot, nor did I 'get' his transformations like I did with Birkin, Alexia, Wesker and co, and the RE4 gang. The catacombs being there was utter nonsense. I didn't find Carla compelling. Doing another revenge/PTSD story for Chris was both a bit heavyhanded and repetitive despite how well they did it IMO. Jake being
Wesker's son
was odd given that I would think the latter would have more of a hand in his life to pursue perfection, unless I missed a doc somewhere that goes into that more.

And quite honestly, outside of the
Carla
stuff, RE4 had far more weird stuff that made less sense.

I make it no secret that I've had some strong disagreements with the direction of RE's narrative elements starting with CV, as well as believing that the series could've/can sold well as survival horror with certain adjustments and the phenomenal marketing efforts they later put into RE5 and 6, but it all still works. Well, other than the lab/geography thing going on in Zero, but I'm not in the mindset to delve into canon/easter egg nonsense.

kc44135

How exactly did the RE6 story ruin anything?
Most complaints are on the gameplay, or from people who weren't following the story in the first place always asking for a reboot.

I think what he's trying to say is that each successive mainline RE has only gotten bigger and crazier, and that because of this trend and how over-the-top 6 was, we might not get another numbered RE game with a more subdued pace, and creepier atmosphere like the older games. RE4, and even 5 to an extent, had the feel and pace of an RE game, but 6 was insanity from beginning to end. I actually kinda enjoyed it for that, but I see his point, and I'm definitely concerned about the direction RE7 will take. I'd prefer if we didn't see another game with 6's pacing and scope, let alone something even crazier.

nor did I 'get' his transformations like I did with Birkin, Alexia, Wesker and co, and the RE4 gang. T

I genuinely don't get any of the transformations for the entire series except maybe Wesker. There is a 99.9% chance you are going to turn into some horrible monster. Why would anyone voluntarily do it?

It's like the J'Avo- why would a mercenary force volunteer to turn themselves into some sort of variation of crab creatures?

I think what he's trying to say is that each successive mainline RE has only gotten bigger and crazier, and that because of this trend and how over-the-top 6 was, we might not get another numbered RE game with a more subdued pace, and creepier atmosphere like the older games. RE4, and even 5 to an extent, had the feel and pace of an RE game, but 6 was insanity from beginning to end. I actually kinda enjoyed it for that, but I see his point, and I'm definitely concerned about the direction RE7 will take. I'd prefer if we didn't see another game with 6's pacing and scope, let alone something even crazier.

I think Rev 2 proves they can still scale back if they desire. But the series mythology after Umbrella's collapse lets them go as big as they want too. It's kind of cool actually.

kc44135

I genuinely don't get any of the transformations for the entire series except maybe Wesker. There is a 99.9% chance you are going to turn into some horrible monster. Why would anyone voluntarily do it?

It's like the J'Avo- why would a mercenary force volunteer to turn themselves into some sort of variation of crab creatures?

I think Rev 2 proves they can still scale back if they desire. But the series mythology after Umbrella's collapse lets them go as big as they want too. It's kind of cool actually.

That's true, and Rev 2 was better for it, but it's not a main series entry, and also takes place prior to RE6, so it doesn't necessarily indicate the direction RE7 will take. It is cool to see the series going bigger, and I don't mind that, specifically. I just can't imagine what something crazier than 6 would be like, lol.

Neiteio

Seriously, tho, can News Bot or someone explain why Leon and Helena weren't affected by the Lepotitsa gas in Tall Oaks, the plane and Lanshiang? Yeah, I know — "gameplay, lol" — but they're usually more attentive to detail than that. And I vaguely recall there being an explanation, but I can't remember what it is.

Are they on a cutting-edge vitamin regimen? Does their hair product deflect environmental contaminants? Are they holding their breath? Are they infected with a virus that produces plot armor antibodies?

Well, to go down the line (which may require some corrective input from the likes of News Bot):
  • Birkin was losing his research and had become very obsessive about it. So when Umbrella passed the orders down, he used his research on himself to a)deny them use and b)to destroy the extraction team. (Edit: Birkin was also mortally wounded by the strike team, thus prompting his injection of G- thanks Neiteio)
  • Alexia was woken early from her hibernation, and thus the Veronica-T in her virus hadn't fully assimilated to her biology in the desired fashion. This resulted in her unstable mutations coupled with the damage she received in her fight with Wesker and Redfield.
  • Plagas attached themselves and matured in villagers/castellans/PMC units tricked into being incubated with the lavae. Head cultist had the 'Queen Plagas'.
  • Wesker was created with the goal to be the ultimate being, and was 'raised' as such. His injection of the virus following the Tyrant attack to survive further catapulted him down that path, and the obvious fraility of Spencer was the final ignition to a full blown god complex. Uroburos was the pursuit in developing the ultimate life form, thus combining it to his being would in his compromised mind result in bringing about that ultimate lifeform he hoped to replace all life on Earth with.

I don't recall the full reasoning with J'Avo other than that some were forced and others were lead to believe that they would be superior fighters.

Seriously, tho, can News Bot or someone explain why Leon and Helena weren't affected by the Lepotitsa gas in Tall Oaks, the plane and Lanshiang? Yeah, I know — "gameplay, lol" — but they're usually more attentive to detail than that. And I vaguely recall there being an explanation, but I can't remember what it is.

Are they on a cutting-edge vitamin regimen? Does their hair product deflect environmental contaminants? Are they holding their breath? Are they infected with a virus that produces plot armor antibodies?

I have trouble recalling specifically what takes place in that scene, but did they walk in the aerosol-styled dispersion to where they would breathe the virus in? If not and it took actual contact with the 'clouds' of C-Virus to infect both the Cathedral survivors and the flight passengers, then that's how. If they did make contact or that dispersion method was more loose in the flight to where everyone was suddenly infected other than them, then I have no idea.

That's true, and Rev 2 was better for it, but it's not a main series entry, and also takes place prior to RE6, so it doesn't necessarily indicate the direction RE7 will take. It is cool to see the series going bigger, and I don't mind that, specifically. I just can't imagine what something crazier than 6 would be like, lol.

Oh yeah I don't think they will actually pair it back in RE7 like they did with Rev 2. I'm just saying that even with the international scope of the series story now they could still do something smaller scale if there was a desire to without forcing a reboot.

I'm kind of wondering if they are going to go the opposite way- maybe RE7 will flash forward when there was an unchecked outbreak and the game could be post apocalyptic like TLoU or Walking Dead?

Neiteio

^^^ I think Birkin used the G-Virus on himself because he was mortally wounded by gunfire, and the transformation had at least a chance of creating something desirable.

^^^ I think Birkin used the G-Virus on himself because he was mortally wounded by gunfire, and the transformation had at least a chance of creating something desirable.

I haven't seen RE2s gameplay in a long while, so my memories are a bit slanted to the reemergence of the Outbreak intro :p

But yes, that sounds right, even though I believe he had intended to use it regardless when it became clear the strike team was incoming.

kc44135

Since there's a few people here discussing the series story, I'll throw in my two cents. The story going bigger is leading it to being more ridiculous than ever, true, but my biggest problem is the villains. 6's villains were an absolute joke, I think. Simmons and Carla were easily the worst/ dumbest villains in the series history, and "The Family" and "Neo-Umbrella" were like something straight out of bad fan fiction. They just didn't live up to either Wesker or the Umbrella Corporation, and without great antagonists, I think the series feels a bit aimless at this point. We really need a new "Big" bad guy (or corporation) that's actually cool/threatening , and sticks around for more than one game. I feel like it would really add a lot to the overall story.

kc44135

Oh yeah I don't think they will actually pair it back in RE7 like they did with Rev 2. I'm just saying that even with the international scope of the series story now they could still do something smaller scale if there was a desire to without forcing a reboot.

I'm kind of wondering if they are going to go the opposite way- maybe RE7 will flash forward when there was an unchecked outbreak and the game could be post apocalyptic like TLoU or Walking Dead?

That sounds pretty cool, actually. It would definitely shake things up, at least.

Neiteio

I liked RE6's story overall. My favorite detail was Simmons being so smart, yet so fucking insane that he recreates his waifu out of a cocoon. I like the idea that Ada's "it" factor is so strong that people are driven to recreate her.

I don't recall the full reasoning with J'Avo other than that some were forced and others were lead to believe that they would be superior fighters.

That's a one trick pony though- why would anyone in China still inject themselves with the C-Virus 6 months after what happened in Eastern Europe?

Since there's a few people here discussing the series story, I'll throw in my two cents. The story going bigger is leading it to being more ridiculous than ever, true, but my biggest problem is the villains. 6's villains were an absolute joke, I think. Simmons and Carla were easily the worst/ dumbest villains in the series history, and "The Family" and "Neo-Umbrella" were like something straight out of bad fan fiction. They just didn't live up to either Wesker or the Umbrella Corporation, and without great antagonists, I think the series feels a bit aimless at this point. We really need a new "Big" bad guy (or corporation) that's actually cool/threatening , and sticks around for more than one game. I feel like it would really add a lot to the overall story.

Honestly I think the series is generally weak on antagonists overall but it usually doesn't harm the individual games. Wesker is IMO really the only true standout though I also like the Ashfords in CVX.

RE2 and 3 don't really have much in the way of antagonists in terms of interesting personalities or motivation. Birkin's mutated design is cool and all but he is a paper thin character. Sadler is marginally better but barely.

In fact I think the series consistently does much better with supporting characters than primary antagonists. Irons is memorable- so is Krauser,Ada, Luis, and even Irving or Excella.

Neiteio

He wasn't the main antagonist, but I thought Salazar was fucking fantastic. For the whole middle third of RE4 (the most robust part of the game), you want to grab that diminutive Cap'n Crunch by the collar and make him squeal.

He wasn't the main antagonist, but I thought Salazar was fucking fantastic. For the whole middle third of RE4 (the most robust part of the game), you want to grab that diminutive Cap'n Crunch by the collar and make him squeal.

Exactly- pretty much everyone in RE4 except the village chief were more interesting than Sadler.

Neiteio

Honestly, antagonists aren't really necessary in Resident Evil since the real "enemy" is the environment itself. Trying to find your way out of the clockwork hell that is the Spencer Estate or the RPD or Raccoon City or whatever is perfectly satisfying in itself.

That's a one trick pony though- why would anyone in China still inject themselves with the C-Virus 6 months after what happened in Eastern Europe?

Were they still creating J'Avo within the same groups, and was what happened in Eastern Europe common knowledge in those circles? Overall it was indeed a sort of weak premise as things went forward.

Jawmuncher

Honestly, antagonists aren't really necessary in Resident Evil since the real "enemy" is the environment itself. Trying to find your way out of the clockwork hell that is the Spencer Estate or the RPD or Raccoon City or whatever is perfectly satisfying in itself.

Eh I'll disagree to this to an extent. Maybe for those games they weren't but with how the series is now, they help to move a lot of the story on. As was said just earlier, with the scale big mainline games are, antagonists move the story forward easier I would say.

So more or less, smaller scale not needed, bigger scale needed. In my eyes anyway.

LUXURY

I'm slowly trying to rebuild my collection of the games. The older ones are proving to be quite hard to get a hold of. I managed to get a big box version of Resident Evil 2 for the PC a few years back and haven't seen one since. Would love to get Resident Evil 3.

By the way, does anyone know of any ways to play the game on Windows 10? Or am I just better off playing it another way.

Jawmuncher

I'm slowly trying to rebuild my collection of the games. The older ones are proving to be quite hard to get a hold of. I managed to get a big box version of Resident Evil 2 for the PC a few years back and haven't seen one since. Would love to get Resident Evil 3.

By the way, does anyone know of any ways to play the game on Windows 10? Or am I just better off playing it another way.

Japanese new PC versions with fan translations are the easiest way to play RE on PC.

kc44135

Honestly I think the series is generally weak on antagonists overall but it usually doesn't harm the individual games. Wesker is IMO really the only true standout though I also like the Ashfords in CVX.

RE2 and 3 don't really have much in the way of antagonists in terms of interesting personalities or motivation. Birkin's mutated design is cool and all but he is a paper thin character. Sadler is marginally better but barely.

In fact I think the series consistently does much better with supporting characters than primary antagonists. Irons is memorable- so is Krauser,Ada, Luis, and even Irving or Excella.

A lot of them are weak, true, but I think they can also be used to tie the games together. RE4 might seem disconnected from the rest of the series, for example, but Wesker was in the background, making evil plans and playing with his viruses, or whatever, and you knew the series was building towards a showdown with him. Right now, we're just fighting Bio-terror, and it's basically just "villain of the week". I'd just like some overarching threat to connect the games, and for the series to build towards something again, rather than seemingly getting more and more crazy just for the sake of it, is all.

kc44135

Is the EU version of RE1 (PSONE) the "good version"?

Is it worth playing on Vita if you already have the Remaster?

The PSN version, you mean? I could be mistaken, but I believe the EU version is the original Director's Cut, which features the original soundtrack, rather than ridiculous one from the later DualShock version, so you're good to go. Also, yeah, I think it's worth playing in addition to REmake. It's a very different game, and also might give you a deeper appreciation for REmake, and and all of the changes and switch ups that were made to it. REmake was actually designed with RE1 veterans in mind, after all.

kc44135

I agree. Salazer was awesome.

A lot of them are weak, true, but I think they can also be used to tie the games together. RE4 might seem disconnected from the rest of the series, for example, but Wesker was in the background, making evil plans and playing with his viruses, or whatever, and you knew the series was building towards a showdown with him. Right now, we're just fighting Bio-terror, and it's basically just "villain of the week". I'd just like some overarching threat to connect the games, and for the series to build towards something again, rather than seemingly getting more and more crazy just for the sake of it, is all.

I think it's a bit early to say "villain of the week". RE5 was definitely a culmination of a lot of series history but there has only been one mainline game since then. Given the reaction to RE6 I kind of doubt that Capcom will follow up much on the story threads in RE6 now but I expect the original intention was for it to form the basis of a new ongoing story for the series.

Top Bottom