• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

How exactly did the RE6 story ruin anything?
Most complaints are on the gameplay, or from people who weren't following the story in the first place always asking for a reboot.

It's just a continuation of the shit that has plagued RE writing for along time.

Every story almost has to get bigger and bigger outbreaks or BOW attacks, and new organisations are constantly springing up in a game, only to be defeated and never be heard from again in any meaninful way.

These organisations are never build up through multiple games, so ultimately nobody cares about them. The same goes with the bad guys, most are never heard from before they appear, some may get a file mention at best. Then they appear and die, or get arrested. Again no build up and nobody has time to give a shit about them. Not that the series needs meaningful bad guys, Wesker was a villain te last few minutes of RE1 only, RE2 and 3 didn't really have meaningful villains at all.

I look forward to RE7 when 'Villainy McVillain' appears to release a new virus, with his organisation 'Villains Inc'. It's just a shame they'll all be dead or gone by the end of the game.

kc44135

I think it's a bit early to say "villain of the week". RE5 was definitely a culmination of a lot of series history but there has only been one mainline game since then. Given the reaction to RE6 I kind of doubt that Capcom will follow up much on the story threads in RE6 now but I expect the original intention was for it to form the basis of a new ongoing story for the series.

Yeah, I was lumping Rev 1 & 2 in there when I said that, but 6 is the only numbered entry we've gotten since 5, so fair enough. I also get the sense that the certain plot threads were meant to extend to later games (" cough" The Family "cough"), but I also don't think we'll we any follow-up there in 7, due to 6's reception.

Seyavesh

These organisations are never build up through multiple games, so ultimately nobody cares about them. The same goes with the bad guys, most are never heard from before they appear, some may get a file mention at best. Then they appear and die, or get arrested. Again no build up and nobody has time to give a shit about them. Not that the series needs meaningful bad guys, Wesker was a villain te last few minutes of RE1 only, RE2 and 3 didn't really have meaningful villains at all.

you actually got a monkey paw wish in re6 by means of this complaint because it 100% sets up a big illuminati network called "the family" that was clearly meant to be their new overarching organization

Hello GAF. I just bought RE Origins Collection. Do you recommend me to play RE0 or RE first?

I haven't play RE0, RE, RE2 and RE4 yet. And the first zombie in RE is really scared the shit out of me back then, when I was 4 years old. Lol
So I'm really looking forward to playing RE2 and RE4 on PS4. I wish they will remake RE3 after they done with RE2. I really miss this game.

Btw, I'm really glad that they did a reversible cover art like this.

jPUbvFQ.jpg

qmcxXEj.jpg

PS. This is my first post in RE thread. xD

Is the EU version of RE1 (PSONE) the "good version"?

Is it worth playing on Vita if you already have the Remaster?

Insofar that it has the original OST, yes. It suffers from the usual shitty PAL conversion though, if you're at least familiar with the story from the REmake, you might wanna get the game from the japanese PSN instead, VA is still english, only texts are japanese, it runs at full speed unlike the PAL version, it has the original OST as well, and it's the only uncut version on PSN, it has the full gore opening and Chris smoking.

It's different enough to play even if you know the REmake, especially since while the REmake might be a better game than the original, the Director's Cut's Arranged Mode is better than REmake.

News Bot

Banned
I genuinely don't get any of the transformations for the entire series except maybe Wesker. There is a 99.9% chance you are going to turn into some horrible monster. Why would anyone voluntarily do it?

It's like the J'Avo- why would a mercenary force volunteer to turn themselves into some sort of variation of crab creatures?

All of them have unique reasons as to why they transform according to the situations they found themselves in.

Alexia: Could revert to human form at will, until her second mutation caused by damage and the virus being unable to keep up with the necessary regeneration.

Morpheus: Was dying. Injected himself with the t+G-Virus to save his life knowing that it didn't decrease intelligence and made the host practically invulnerable.

Birkin: The G-Virus was incomplete and Birkin was done for. He gambled on becoming the virus' intended mutation, a G-Human, a superhuman. It failed due to being incomplete and going out of control.

Wesker: Overdosed, but would've metabolized and reverted to human form until he was damaged so much the virus began tearing his body apart, unable to keep up with the regeneration necessary.

Sergei: Had no chance of beating superhuman Wesker. Decided that becoming a monster but maintaining his cognition was his only recourse.

Piers: Lost his arm, mentor was dying, injected himself "for the BSAA, for the future."

Carla: Was shot and fell, thus dying. Injected herself to prevent death knowing she'd still maintain at least some cognition.

Ryan Howard: Cornered by agents, injects himself knowing he faces either death or life imprisonment. Also overcome by grief and shame.

In regards to the ELA mercenaries, Carla claimed it was a "nutritional supplement" that would boost combat prowess. The ELA was trying to end the civil war in a decisive strike, so they took anything they could get. She'd also supplied the Ogroman B.O.W., so they trusted her.

That's a one trick pony though- why would anyone in China still inject themselves with the C-Virus 6 months after what happened in Eastern Europe?

Nobody in China injected themselves. Carla offered young and healthy men from the poor population money in exchange for participating in "medicine experiments something or other." Then she injected them with the C-Virus.

Seriously, tho, can News Bot or someone explain why Leon and Helena weren't affected by the Lepotitsa gas in Tall Oaks, the plane and Lanshiang? Yeah, I know — "gameplay, lol" — but they're usually more attentive to detail than that. And I vaguely recall there being an explanation, but I can't remember what it is.

Are they on a cutting-edge vitamin regimen? Does their hair product deflect environmental contaminants? Are they holding their breath? Are they infected with a virus that produces plot armor antibodies?

Helena was locked up in an isolated room by her fellow Secret Service agents for ranting and raving about the President's impending assassination. We don't know where Leon was, but he'd just turned up in the room at the beginning of his campaign (you see a brief shot of his shock upon entry) so presumably he was in the same situation. Almost everyone else apart from a few students were outside, where the gas permeated. A few ran back inside.

Since there's a few people here discussing the series story, I'll throw in my two cents. The story going bigger is leading it to being more ridiculous than ever, true, but my biggest problem is the villains. 6's villains were an absolute joke, I think. Simmons and Carla were easily the worst/ dumbest villains in the series history, and "The Family" and "Neo-Umbrella" were like something straight out of bad fan fiction. They just didn't live up to either Wesker or the Umbrella Corporation, and without great antagonists, I think the series feels a bit aimless at this point. We really need a new "Big" bad guy (or corporation) that's actually cool/threatening , and sticks around for more than one game. I feel like it would really add a lot to the overall story.

Simmons is a great villain, but he's tied to Carla and thus dragged through the dirt.

The Family are fine. A secret cabal tied to an ancient family. It's cliché, but not illogical or silly, and different enough from iterations of this type of organization in other media. They don't contradict or interfere with established lore either. I think it was created so that the writers could take the easy way out on the dark side of the U.S. Government, without portraying the U.S. Government as outright villains. It's basically the same organization seen in The X-Files (Syndicate), Deus Ex (Illuminati) and The Blacklist (Cabal).

Neo Umbrella was never meant to replace Umbrella. It was a faux organization created by Simmons using The Family's resources in order to perpetuate bioterrorism and maintain the U.S. as the dominant superpower, using his position as National Security Advisor to strike down incidents caused by Neo Umbrella as a show of power on the global stage. The reason it's called Neo Umbrella is to get people in the BIO world to think about Umbrella and exhibit the same sort of primal fear associated with them following Raccoon City. Meanwhile there are plenty of former Umbrella researchers around the world to pin it on.

News Bot

Banned
How come Leon and Helena weren't affected by the Lepotitsa gas on the plane?

It only started to leak gas on the plane. They opened the hatch before there was enough concentration of it to cause infection. Their health does decline. The passengers were infected by the Lepotica's gas while it was in the plane's ventilation, while Leon and Helena were in the cargo hold.

Neiteio

It only started to leak gas on the plane. They opened the hatch before there was enough concentration of it to cause infection. Their health does decline. The passengers were infected by the Lepotica's gas while it was in the plane's ventilation, while Leon and Helena were in the cargo hold.
Ah, OK. Fair enough!

I think what he's trying to say is that each successive mainline RE has only gotten bigger and crazier, and that because of this trend and how over-the-top 6 was, we might not get another numbered RE game with a more subdued pace, and creepier atmosphere like the older games. RE4, and even 5 to an extent, had the feel and pace of an RE game, but 6 was insanity from beginning to end. I actually kinda enjoyed it for that, but I see his point, and I'm definitely concerned about the direction RE7 will take. I'd prefer if we didn't see another game with 6's pacing and scope, let alone something even crazier.

That's exactly it, thank you.

I think Rev 2 proves they can still scale back if they desire. But the series mythology after Umbrella's collapse lets them go as big as they want too. It's kind of cool actually.

Which I said in my post. Thing is, Rev2 happens before shit hits the fan, like I said, I don't see them going back to that kind of story in a post RE6 world which for me would be a shame.

Since there's a few people here discussing the series story, I'll throw in my two cents. The story going bigger is leading it to being more ridiculous than ever, true, but my biggest problem is the villains. 6's villains were an absolute joke, I think. Simmons and Carla were easily the worst/ dumbest villains in the series history, and "The Family" and "Neo-Umbrella" were like something straight out of bad fan fiction. They just didn't live up to either Wesker or the Umbrella Corporation, and without great antagonists, I think the series feels a bit aimless at this point. We really need a new "Big" bad guy (or corporation) that's actually cool/threatening , and sticks around for more than one game. I feel like it would really add a lot to the overall story.

A lot of them are weak, true, but I think they can also be used to tie the games together. RE4 might seem disconnected from the rest of the series, for example, but Wesker was in the background, making evil plans and playing with his viruses, or whatever, and you knew the series was building towards a showdown with him. Right now, we're just fighting Bio-terror, and it's basically just "villain of the week". I'd just like some overarching threat to connect the games, and for the series to build towards something again, rather than seemingly getting more and more crazy just for the sake of it, is all.

Looks like we agree on a lot of things.

Man if I knew that I would have picked up a physical copy! I would say start with the RE1 remake it's one of the best survival horror games ever made.

Thanks man.

And that reversible cover is for the Asia region only. US and Japan didn't get any reversible cover.
Also, they're going to make a reversible cover art for RE6 too (I asked them and they sent me this photo).

I guess the Asia region will get a reversible cover for every RE game from now.

We're closing in on the date of the first Resident Evil.

march 22 1996

I hope we hear something about RE7

I just want to see what ReMake 2 is gonna look like more than anything.

Will it have tank controls? Will it have pre rendered backgrounds or 3D backgrounds with a locked camera? Is it going to be over the shoulder 3rd person?

So many questions!!!.....

In regards to the ELA mercenaries, Carla claimed it was a "nutritional supplement" that would boost combat prowess. The ELA was trying to end the civil war in a decisive strike, so they took anything they could get. She'd also supplied the Ogroman B.O.W., so they trusted her.

Nobody in China injected themselves. Carla offered young and healthy men from the poor population money in exchange for participating in "medicine experiments something or other." Then she injected them with the C-Virus.

Does J'Avo also include mind control like Las Plagas? Because if not I just don't buy that these guys are fighting side by side and they don't have a complete mental breakdown the moment a comrade gets shots and transforms into a crustacean. That's the moment you say "screw it, I'm going AWOL".

Which I said in my post. Thing is, Rev2 happens before shit hits the fan, like I said, I don't see them going back to that kind of story in a post RE6 world which for me would be a shame.

The events in RE6 are big but not unprecedented. In addition to Raccoon City an entire city had to be sunk after a city wide outbreak (Rev 1). And there are other major incidents referenced in the movies of similar scope. So I don't really feel there is any thing in RE6 that would preclude a smaller scale story like Rev 2 if that's how Capcom wanted to take it. Send the characters to a remote location, come up with a reason for a loss of comms with the outside world and then you are good to go.

Seyavesh

Does J'Avo also include mind control like Las Plagas? Because if not I just don't buy that these guys are fighting side by side and they don't have a complete mental breakdown the moment a comrade gets shots and transforms into a crustacean. That's the moment you say "screw it, I'm going AWOL".
i would have to imagine this is the case considering all those mutations still come from the base form of j'avo and how they attack jake which pretty much does that exactly in his first chapter

'welp everyone's dead and a monster, guess im going awol'

Zero-ELEC

Banned
C-Virus is based on the t-Veronica Virus and the G-Virus, as such it has the t-Veronica's ant like control (inject a person with the C-Virus and they will singlemindedly do what they were told to do) and faculty retention (to a greater extent in Carla's special brew) as well as the G's cellular regeneration and extreme mutations. This was developed after studying Las Plagas as well.

Basically the C-Virus is cheating, is what it is.

News Bot

Banned

It's a trait inherited from t-Veronica as those who are injected without an adaptation period become subservient to the memory of their last command ("Fight the BSAA" or "Work for Ada Wong") when there is no adapted leader present to give new commands.

Mercenaries and poor people are already particularly willing employees. The C-Virus just makes that stick.

C-Virus is based on the t-Veronica Virus and the G-Virus, as such it has the t-Veronica's ant like control (inject a person with the C-Virus and they will singlemindedly do what they were told to do) and faculty retention (to a greater extent in Carla's special brew) as well as the G's cellular regeneration and extreme mutations. This was developed after studying Las Plagas as well.

Basically the C-Virus is cheating, is what it is.

That's kind of cool actually

cheez124

how difficult is RE2 compared to REmake? i'm playing RE2 for the first time (well, technically i actually started playing it last year, but put it on hiatus and somehow lost my save file...i didn't get far anyways) and i have a lot of handgun bullets. like, over 90 of em. i've heard some people say that RE2 is surprisingly action-y for a classic RE, but sheesh. REmake is the only "classic" RE i've completed, but i never had this many bullets in that game. am i in for a relatively easy journey, or does the game ramp up? this is on normal, and i started with claire, if it matters.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
how difficult is RE2 compared to REmake? i'm playing RE2 for the first time (well, technically i actually started playing it last year, but put it on hiatus and somehow lost my save file...i didn't get far anyways) and i have a lot of handgun bullets. like, over 90 of em. i've heard some people say that RE2 is surprisingly action-y for a classic RE, but sheesh. REmake is the only "classic" RE i've completed, but i never had this many bullets in that game. am i in for a relatively easy journey, or does the game ramp up? this is on normal, and i started with claire, if it matters.

Good news and bad news.

Good News: Resident Evil 2 I personally think is easier than REmake, though it has its bad news.

Bad News: Resident Evil 2 has an A/B scenario system, there's a surplus of bullets because some ammo you pick up in the A scenario will make it unavailable in the B scenario. This is true for ammo and healing items (not all ammo and healing items, but know there will be far less ammo and healing items in scenario B if you pick up a lot in Scenario A, not to the point Scenario B is incomplete, just be a harder time).

Golnei

Bad News: Resident Evil 2 has an A/B scenario system, there's a surplus of bullets because some ammo you pick up in the A scenario will make it unavailable in the B scenario. This is true for ammo and healing items (not all ammo and healing items, but know there will be far less ammo and healing items in scenario B if you pick up a lot in Scenario A, not to the point Scenario B is incomplete, just be a harder time).

Though the disparate weapon types still mean you'll have plenty of supplies even if you pick up everything you can on your A run - especially on normal, you're swimming in magnum and shotgun rounds by the end of Leon B. Even the submachine gun can be replaced if you've already taken it.

Neiteio

Good news and bad news.

Good News: Resident Evil 2 I personally think is easier than REmake, though it has its bad news.

I didn't notice this. Claire A and Leon B both seemed really generous with items to me.

Zambatoh

Good news and bad news.

What? No. As someone who has played through RE2 countless times, I can tell you ammo is always fixed regardless of what you pick up in A route. The only time the zapping system comes into play is with the Machine Gun/Side Pack locker. Also the Gas and fingerprint room. But that's about it. They really oversold that aspect of the game.

Neiteio

What? No. As someone who has played through RE2 countless times, I can tell you ammo is always fixed regardless of what you pick up in A route. The only time the zapping system comes into play is with the Machine Gun/Side Pack locker. Also the Gas and fingerprint room. But that's about it. They really oversold that aspect of the game.
One other thing that comes to mind is the alligator. If you blow its head off with the canister trick in Claire's Scenario A, the alligator won't come back in Leon's Scenario B.

Neiteio

Still thinking about RE3. Such a great game. Playing RE2 and RE3 back to back was amazing. And the fact I got them for, like, $3 combined in the PSN sale makes up for other games I bought full price and didn't like nearly as much, lol. I'll just imagine I spent the money on these games instead!

I'm way more excited to play RE6 again than I thought I'd be.

I just wish they offered a discount for those who are going to buy all 3 games.

kc44135

Hello GAF. I just bought RE Origins Collection. Do you recommend me to play RE0 or RE first?

I haven't play RE0, RE, RE2 and RE4 yet. And the first zombie in RE is really scared the shit out of me back then, when I was 4 years old. Lol
So I'm really looking forward to playing RE2 and RE4 on PS4. I wish they will remake RE3 after they done with RE2. I really miss this game.

Btw, I'm really glad that they did a reversible cover art like this.

PS. This is my first post in RE thread. xD

Definitely play RE1/ REmake and even RE2 first (if you can). The game makes a bunch of references to RE1 that you won't get otherwise and it also ties into RE2 as well (albeit in the dumbest, most nonsensical way possible), so yeah, play both of those first if possible.

Nudull

Banned
Made it to the Palace on my CVX playthrough.

Haven't struggled with the early part of a RE game this much since I first played RE2. People weren't kidding about the difficulty, but after a few deaths, I'm starting to get the hang of it more. I'm scared as hell about not having enough ammo to take on the later parts of the game. o.o

Akibared

Thanks man.

And that reversible cover is for the Asia region only. US and Japan didn't get any reversible cover.
Also, they're going to make a reversible cover art for RE6 too (I asked them and they sent me this photo).

I guess the Asia region will get a reversible cover for every RE game from now.

That's disappointing I would love it if Capcom started doing that for the western versions.

zeemumu

Back when I was little and playing RE2 on my N64 I didn't know what "debris" meant so I assumed that was Mr. X's name because the whenever you'd try to access the doorway that his pod blocked it would say that it was blocked by the debris.

Jawmuncher

Back when I was little and playing RE2 on my N64 I didn't know what "debris" meant so I assumed that was Mr. X's name because the whenever you'd try to access the doorway that his pod blocked it would say that it was blocked by the debris.
That's too good.

Made it to the Palace on my CVX playthrough.

Haven't struggled with the early part of a RE game this much since I first played RE2. People weren't kidding about the difficulty, but after a few deaths, I'm starting to get the hang of it more. I'm scared as hell about not having enough ammo to take on the later parts of the game. o.o

I played through it recently after not having played it since it was originally released.
Actually thought it was easier than I remembered and by the time I left the island I was swimming in ammo. Over 100 bullets and arrows, over 50% left in the dual pistols and several grenade rounds.

I also see a lot of people say they struggle with ammo/health in RE0, even having to reload old saves because they burned through everything. This is a pic of my inventory when I was getting ready to fight the final boss when I played the remaster and it doesn't include all the crap I had lying around on the floor or the items I came across on my way there, could've filled the inventory three times.

There are specific sections, usually in the early parts of the games, where resources can be a bit scarce, but I think they're more than fair with how much they give you.
When revisiting these games I'm always a bit paranoid with ink ribbons because it's not easy for me to play for long stretches at a time but even those turned out to be more than enough.

I did find Zero tough on health, and spent large chunks of the game in orange condition, but before the final boss the room you are in gives you loads of ammo and health so its not really an issue there. It's more just as you going through the game. Those leech dudes and the monkeys can do a lot of damage.

I did find Zero tough on health, and spent large chunks of the game in orange condition, but before the final boss the room you are in gives you loads of ammo and health so its not really an issue there. It's more just as you going through the game. Those leech dudes and the monkeys can do a lot of damage.

The game is indeed more generous with ammo than health items but you should try to keep Rebeca out of fights and use Billy whenever possibe or you'll burn through them in no time.
The leech dudes fortunately go down quick with fire.

Jawmuncher

These days after beating the games on normal I usually just play on easy if I just want a playthrough where I'm not worrying about much.

Jawmuncher

It's so interesting how the game's rather than ignore the films, embrace them to a point. Whether it's the lasers or red queen stuff. Can't think of too many franchises that acknowledge their movies in any form. Aside from a creator maybe coming out and saying it's trash.

Golnei

I guess Silent Hill acknowledged the movie with Homecoming, but that had very little to do with the original creative staff.

Top Bottom