• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

kogasu

Yeah, Homecoming was one to the point where it should have just been Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game...Gaiden...I guess lol.

Even though I'm not particularly fond of the RE movies, as long as it doesn't make it to the point that Homecoming did, I'm fine with what the RE games do with their movie elements.

All Homecoming did was remove PH's top like themovie and change the way the otherworld came about, it was a new gen of consoles and they likely would have done it anyway. One of the better visual improvements.

Story had nothing to do with the movie and is deep in the SH lore.

Mr_Zombie

Nah, it took a lot of its visuals straight from the movie: the sign "Welcome in Silent Hill", the whole PH design (movie PH looks differently than the SH2 one - not only is he half naked, but his head has a completely different shape), world transformation, nurses' design (movie nurses have distinct look - they look differently than SH2 bobblehead nurses or the more bloody ones from SH3).

Neiteio

I'm currently replaying RE4. Man, this game. It's even better than I remembered — and I remembered it being one of the best games ever. It really is!

I love RE1, RE2, RE3, RE4, RE5, RE6, Revelations 1, Revelations 2. I would probably enjoy CVX, as well.

So I'm not hating on other games when I say I love RE4 best. They're all great.

But yeah, RE4 really is exceptionally well-made. The journey is impeccably paced and consistently introduces new ideas from start to finish. Each idea is well-designed and effortlessly introduced with just the right balance and learning curve. Each idea receives just the right amount of repetition and iteration, and no idea overstays its welcome.

I also like how each set-piece tends to have a few less enemies than you'd expect. RE4 errs on the side of "less is more," and it works. It generally throws something at you twice before moving on, which is perfect. And between each set-piece there are many small moments that are satisfying, like the occasional light puzzle or divergent path, i.e. backtracking across the lake to see the dogs and swamp village at night or visit the merchant in the cove, instead of going straight for the dam and waterfall.

RE4 is a game where I enjoy, like, every single beat, be it gameplay or storytelling. I love all three regions and every area therein, and all of the encounters. Just a masterpiece through and through. Probably my favorite game ever, and my current play-through reaffirms it.

But like I said, I'm not trashing other games by saying this. I feel the need to point this out since the RE community seems a bit toxic in this regard, i.e. most people can't say they like one game without hating on another. :-\

Jawmuncher

I like all the RE genres. Though some games are going to be ranked lower than others, it's just the nature of the beast. I would play a resident evil fighter, SRPG, or anything else Capcom would throw at me.

I'm a fan of the universe before I am a fan of the genre.

BTails

So I finally got around to downloading that RE 20th Anniversary PS4 theme... DAMN SON! The sound effects make me tingly inside...

Nudull

Banned
Operation Raccoon City. My god.

There is fun-bad, and there's boring-bad. Guess which category this game falls in? I would've hoped the day-in-the-limelight plot with playing Umbrella grunts would salvage it, but not only are they completely one-dimensional, the plot itself ends up falling apart when you realize that (considering that Umbrella collapsed in the aftermath of RE3 anyway) their mission is a complete waste of time. Of course, having that kind of plot isn't bad if the cast is likable and you want to know how they turn out, but...I refer you to my previous point.

Jawmuncher

Operation Raccoon City. My god.

There is fun-bad, and there's boring-bad. Guess which category this game falls in? It would've hoped the day-in-the-limelight plot with playing Umbrella grunts would salvage it, but not only are they completely one-dimensional, the plot itself ends up falling apart when you realize that (considering that Umbrella collapsed in the aftermath of RE3 anyway) their mission is a complete waste of time. Of course, having that kind of plot isn't bad if the cast is likable and you want to know how they turn out, but...I refer you to my previous point.

Playing on easy helps the game a bit, as does playing in coop. It had cool idea's but bad execution. Bullet sponge enemies makes things even worse.

Nudull

Banned
How would you folks feel about a Resident Evil VR? With the recent hype around PSVR, I've been thinking of VR's potential with horror games. Would it work?

Jawmuncher

How would you folks feel about a Resident Evil VR? With the recent hype around PSVR, I've been thinking of VR's potential with horror games. Would it work?

They're apparently already doing that. Would be the first piece of software to get me interested in VR.

I would love it. I think it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Now that I think about it, VR remasters of the Chronicles games would be a cheap way for Capcom to experiment and get comfy with VR.

Jawmuncher

I would love it. I think it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Now that I think about it, VR remasters of the Chronicles games would be a cheap way for Capcom to experiment and get comfy with VR.

They just gotta do a bit more work on them. Just beat Umbrella Chronicles and you could tell it was a cheap port job. They run fine, but they didn't put in extra work into bringing them over that time.

Jawmuncher

Have they said if they added or changed anything to the RE6 port besides having all the dlc?

There's a easier control mode.
Improved control options - Auto-action option simplifies button prompts for quick time events, extends time limits for specific scenes and aids automobile controls. Default mapping of keys and default game settings have been optimized, but players can still remap keys and adjust back to the original game settings if desired.

There's a easier control mode.
Improved control options - Auto-action option simplifies button prompts for quick time events, extends time limits for specific scenes and aids automobile controls. Default mapping of keys and default game settings have been optimized, but players can still remap keys and adjust back to the original game settings if desired.

Hopefully "optimized default game settings" refers to a wider FOV by default. Would go a long way in improving players' first impressions.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
We're a week away now from the series 20th anniversary date.

Think Capcom will do anything/announce anything for it? I am secretly hoping for something interesting, but guess we'll see.

Ludens

Banned
I wonder where you might have found it. :|

Lol, sorry bud, I TOTALLY missed your post. I was on Fire HD and the device showed me later posts and not your.

We're a week away now from the series 20th anniversary date.

Think Capcom will do anything/announce anything for it? I am secretly hoping for something interesting, but guess we'll see.

Capcom announced the musical, are you happy?

Jawmuncher

We know they will acknowledge the anniversary. Worse comes to worst I think at minimum we'll get a tease if they're saving it for E3.

Though to me a reveal now and perhaps a gameplay demo at E3 would be a better option. I still hope outbreak HD is real, as unlikely as that might be.

Neiteio

I recall with RE6, they revealed it in January of 2012, mere weeks before Revelations came out on 3DS.

So I'm hoping that here in March 2016, they'll reveal RE7 mere days before the RE6 remaster is out!

Jawmuncher

I recall with RE6, they revealed it in January of 2012, mere weeks before Revelations came out on 3DS.

So I'm hoping that here in March 2016, they'll reveal RE7 mere days before the RE6 remaster is out!

Would make sense. The hype for it would push sales, especially if it's somewhat related to RE6. "Oh it has jake, and it's looking pretty good. Maybe I should give RE6 another try".

RSB

Banned

That would be nice. My dream scenario would be to have the RE7 reveal trailer on the 20th Anniversary, and then a gameplay demo at E3, with a teaser for RE2 Remake at the end.

Jawmuncher

The biggest thing is whether the game planned for this year or not. It's been in dev for awhile apparently so it could go either way.

Manu

I need Resident Evil 7.

I'm afraid that they're gonna use Unreal Engine or something though, I know Phanta Rei was a dud but could still get a lot of mileage from MT Framework this gen.

RE5 was one of the best looking games last gen and it came out in 2009.

Jawmuncher

I need Resident Evil 7.

I'm afraid that they're gonna use Unreal Engine or something though, I know Phanta Rei was a dud but could still get a lot of mileage from MT Framework this gen.

RE5 was one of the best looking games last gen and it came out in 2009.

Was Revelations MTFramework? Because it was rather rough on all platforms.
Then again the smaller budget might have played into that.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Was Revelations MTFramework? Because it was rather rough on all platforms.
Then again the smaller budget might have played into that.

Revalations (3DS) used MTFramework Mobile, I assume they ported it to the regular MTFramework when porting it to home consoles.

Unless you mean REv2, in which case, yeah, it ran on MT Framework 2.X.

Manu

Rev 2 ran fine as well on PS4, other than the forest section in Ep. 1 I can't recall any hiccups.

I'm also in the mindset that Rev 2 looked good enough, I wouldn't mind if any further RE titles on current gen were 60 fps by sacrificing a bit of graphic quality.

Unfortunately I know that's wishful thinking on my part and most people want their AAA games to have DEM GRAPHICZ.

I think it's a bit early to say "villain of the week". RE5 was definitely a culmination of a lot of series history but there has only been one mainline game since then. Given the reaction to RE6 I kind of doubt that Capcom will follow up much on the story threads in RE6 now but I expect the original intention was for it to form the basis of a new ongoing story for the series.

I haven't beaten RE6 yet but they could take a queue from RE4 and take things in more of an unexpected direction. After Code Veronica I don't think I was alone in thinking that the next game would culminate in all the living RE heroes teaming up to storm an Umbrella base or something along those lines (I believe you get a taste of that in Umbrella Chronicles?), but instead RE4 starts with Leon telling the player that Umbrella is dead due to their stock prices dropping.

Top Bottom