• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Games, Ranked (By Number Of Ports) [Kotaku]

Jawmuncher

w0iboeio6pjnbrl3ewzw41ppm.jpg

An interesting look at just how much the RE series has been ported throughout the years. While the list by Stacie Ponder might draw some argument due to it's inclusion of systems like Zeebo, Game.com, and the Tiger 99x. Or counting PS1 classics as a port (Since they're playable on PS3, PSP, & Vita). I'd argue their all fair game.

Now that we're past that I find it fascinating to see the series as a whole has had so many ports. Capcom is quite consistent and one of the crazy things is that despite all of the numerous ports all of the games always sell. RE fans in general seem to be really big on the series and sure don't mind buying a slightly fancier version for a fair price to experience these games again. Even titles with backlash such as RE6 push sales with their later ports. So the RE name definitely carries some weight with it. You can see an old total sales thread here. Ports are definitely a big factor into the series total of 78 million in sales.

I will say though that I feel ports for the series are starting to come to an end. At least in the sense that capcom will need to start putting more work into getting people to eat these games up again. RE4 for example is the most ported game in the series. Between the PS4,X1, and PC version there's really no reason to buy the game again in the future as is. Sure they could add a platinum trophy to the PS4 version. But outside the interest in a portable version of RE4 on switch, that game in particular would need something like the RE4 HD Textures Mod to entice people to buy the game again. Since as of late the ports have been happening far more frequently.

On the other hand, now would be the best time to start looking at the games with little ports or have never been ported. Updated rereleases of the classic titles in the vein of FF7/FFIX on PS4/PC and other systems would be an easy way to reintroduce more people into the more survival horror roots of the franchise while offering an option that doesn't consist of getting a older PS family device or tracking down old copies. In addition to that ports of Outbreak and Mercenaries in particular would be nice to see. Since a lot of people seem to have missed those titles or never experienced them in their best form (Outbreak with Online play). With capcom being so port happy and this being their largest series. They might as well start digging into the vaults of the series, is the way I look at it.

Lastly if Revelations 2 and Revelations 1 does well on Switch. I have no doubt that capcom will be making that an RE port machine as well. Much like we saw with the RE series on GC. Seems like an easy market to tap into with the portability side of things offering up a new experience in a sense. Which is enough to entice some people even if all the content in the game is the same.

-No Prize: Gaiden, Dead Aim, Mercenaries 3D, Outbreak, Outbreak File #2

-#8 (Tie): The Umbrella Chronicles and The Darkside Chronicles, 2 Platforms Each
Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3

-#8 (Tie): Survivor and Survivor 2 Code: Veronica, 2 Platforms Each
PlayStation, Windows, PlayStation 2, Arcade

-#8 (Tie): Umbrella Corps, 2 Platforms
PlayStation 4, Windows

-#7 (Tie): Operation Raccoon City, 3 Platforms
Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

-#7 (Tie): Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, 3 Platforms
Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

-#6: Resident Evil 6, 5 Platforms
Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One

-#5 (Tie): Resident Evil 5, 6 Platforms
Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nvidia Shield

-#5 (Tie): Resident Evil Code: Veronica, 6 Platforms
Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360

-#5 (Tie): Resident Evil (1996), 6 Platforms
PlayStation, Windows, Sega Saturn, Samsung SCH-G100, Samsung SPH-G1000,
Nintendo DS

-#4 (Tie): Resident Evil: Revelations 2, 7 Platforms
Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo Switch

#4 (Tie): Resident Evil 0, 7 Platforms
GameCube, Nintendo Wii, Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One

#4 (Tie): Resident Evil (2002), 7 Platforms
GameCube, Nintendo Wii, Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One

#4 (Tie): Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, 7 Platforms
Windows, GameCube, Dreamcast, PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PSP

#3: Resident Evil: Revelations, 8 Platforms
Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo WiiU, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows, Nintendo Switch

#2: Resident Evil 2, 10 Platforms
PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PSP, Windows, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, GameCube, Game.com, Tiger 99x

The Champion: Resident Evil 4, 12 Platforms
GameCube, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Nintendo Wii, iOS, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Zeebo, au, Android

Her comments on all of these ports are well worth checking out
Article - https://kotaku.com/resident-evil-games-ranked-by-number-of-ports-1818851198

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Should the multiple re-releases of the PC versions be counted as a single platform ?

RE2 and 3 had separate re-releases with better quality video files and better compatibility.

Also, RE4 is GOAT. I would buy it again if it gets released on the PS5 too.

Anth0ny

I wonder if RE4 has the most legit ports of any game ever. And when I say legit ports, I don't count games like Tetris that are technically different games, or something like Super Mario Bros that is just running on an NES emulator on different platforms.

Doom is probably up there too.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Correction:
Resident Evil 4 is exclusive to the Nintendo GameCube and it always will be. Sorry haters!

Platy

The Zeebo port of RE4 is not bad, censorship of blood aside, specially if you consider that the console is weaker than the ps2.

Now the Game.com port of RE2 was ATROCIOUS. Like that was not even made by capcom. It is like top5 worst games I ever played and I played stuff like Meme Run, Superman 64 and ET =P

Javier23

Banned
I wonder if RE4 has the most legit ports of any game ever. And when I say legit ports, I don't count games like Tetris that are technically different games, or something like Super Mario Bros that is just running on an NES emulator on different platforms.

Doom is probably up there too.
Doom definitely beats RE4.

Aru

Should the multiple re-releases of the PC versions be counted as a single platform ?

RE2 and 3 had separate re-releases with better quality video files and better compatibility.

Also, RE4 is GOAT. I would buy it again if it gets released on the PS5 too.

Should the PS Classics version count as multiple platforms? The PS3, PSP and Vita version of RE1, 2 and 3 is the same, not ported 3 times.

TheMoon

Would it be fair to include Resident Evil 4 on windows twice?

yes, OG and HD are two distinct versions of RE4.

Should the PS Classics version count as multiple platforms? The PS3, PSP and Vita version of RE1, 2 and 3 is the same, not ported 3 times.

PS Classics are emulated re-issues, just like virtual console release. Doesn't make sense to count them. Otherwise you should also include the Wii U eShop download of RE4 Wii Edition (which technically just boots into Wii Mode).

Fluloco

For me the big surprise is that REmake is available in so many platforms, when like three years ago it was confined to GameCube and Wii.

Melchiah

If you add RE1 and REmake numbers, as you should, it would be on the top with 13 platforms. I imagine RE2 will top it with its remake.

Chun-Li

For some reason they aren't even counting the fact that RE1 is playable on PS3, PSP, and Vita. But they do list RE2 and RE3 for those platforms.

guyssorry

Interesting to see RE7 so low. I really didn't like it. The only other RE game I played was 4 on the Wii, which i loved, so I hope some of the other ones are more like RE4 in terms of quality. I really want to like some of the other RE games, so I may try the ones that are ranked higher.

Melchiah

Not at all.

Everything is redesigned. Levels, puzzles, item locations, new areas...

The layout of the mansion is mostly the same, and I recall having many of those same puzzles in the original. Item placement itself is completely trivial.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Poor gamecube owners. RE4 said it would stay faithful then proceeds to spread itself into any platform under the sun :(

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
yes, OG and HD are two distinct versions of RE4.

PS Classics are emulated re-issues, just like virtual console release. Doesn't make sense to count them. Otherwise you should also include the Wii U eShop download of RE4 Wii Edition (which technically just boots into Wii Mode).
Yeah, makes it look like the list is "playable platforms" rather than ports, and even then it'd be missing a couple (like the original PS1 games being playable on PS2, or the Wii U example you mentioned)

L Thammy

A new port of Resident Evil 4 is, more importantly than anything else, another excuse to replay Resident Evil 4.

I think every video game system should have multiple ports of Resident Evil 4. Why stop at one per system?

Poor gamecube owners. RE4 said it would stay faithful then proceeds to spread itself into any platform under the sun :(

The N stands for netorare. The mystery is finally solved.

Top Bottom