• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Shins

Banned
Flunkie said:
So no more R2 > KZ2 messages on PSN? :D
I guess it says a lot when you'll actually spend money to buy a game

although, I guess you don't have much in the way of options, what with Blu-Ray :p

Ploid 3.0

I'm addicted.

I love games where Spec-ops don't give tanks ammo. I can't wait to get my first upgrades. I usually have to pick a class based on what others picked.

4 tanks, and 3 medics? Spec ops.
5 spec-ops? Medic

Once again: THIS BETA IS AN OPEN BETA; THEREFORE, IT IS COMPLETELY SHAREABLE.

So, share away!

EDIT: And please, please, please, Insomniac, please increase the jump height just a tad bit. I'm playing Orick, and whenever I try to jump off those logging establishments to ambush some enemies down below in the water I fail to clear the railing. Please change that!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm addicted.

I love games where Spec-ops don't give tanks ammo. I can't wait to get my first upgrades. I usually have to pick a class based on what others picked.

4 tanks, and 3 medics? Spec ops.
5 spec-ops? Medic

I always go Spec-Ops. I love the Marksman too much to use anything else.

I've noticed a lack of people going as medics though.

Madman

JB1981 said:
It has more to do with AI logic than challenge. The boss' literally do not do anything. The stalkers and the Goliaths stand in place and take about 1 million shots before going down. I was playing as a Soldier and literally stood in front of the goliath and held down R1 for 10 minutes. Not fun.
Eh, I doubt you stood directly in it's path for 10 minutes and it did nothing.

No sense arguing this. I made my suggestion.

Madman said:

Eh, I enjoy co-op as much as anyone else, but even I know the "Boss" encounters are broken. I just wrapped up a co-op session.. the final "Boss" was a Stalker, I literally stood still directly in front of it for a few minutes and zapped away till it died (I was a medic btw). I didn't even need to resort to healing anyone. We all just stood in a circle around it.

I do hope Insomniac has something to remedy this.

Baha

Madman said:

Um, this can happen. Maybe not in front of it but if you're at a safe distance you can easily stand there and hold down r1. I hope the enemy AI is improved in the final version for larger bosses, the yellow crimps are more fun to kill since they're pretty aggro and come after you.

jjasper

Madman said:

If you have a gunner and a spec op you can do that. The stalker or big dude will just stand there shooting at you. The bosses are the worst part of the coop.

I've noticed alot of small things that can be added/changed. I'll have to play again to remember them but the only one that i remember from the top of my head are:

1. Under the scoreboard for Cooperative, the dead player's color should change to red instead of staying orange. That way, it is easier to know when to wait for them to revive or who to revive instead of searching for them in the map. Usually, alot of players are dead and the 2 or 3 alive are roaming together. They need to know that they are the last 3 people alive. A simple color-coding will help alot.

2. The cap for Immortal medal should be reduced to 100 or something. 300 successful co-op is impossible! 100 is somewhat feasible :p

3. In the lobby, L2/R2 should be used to change pages. I'm sure it's something that they've implemented in the final game for it's a must.

That said, the game is fucking amazing! :)

Ploid 3.0

industrian said:
I always go Spec-Ops. I love the Marksman too much to use anything else.

I've noticed a lack of people going as medics though.

All of the jobs are very fun. I did a writeup for another forum (my old ffxi linkshell. I keep in touch with the people since they are on psn heh).

So I got the Resistance 2 open beta and thought I'd give my impressions on it.

I only played Co-op so far, and it's amazing. It's like dynamis (a ffxi raid) in a complex map that change each time you play it (different objectives, different enemy placements/spawns, and different paths you are to take). The 3 jobs (classes) are in a nicely done:

*The tanks need the spec-ops, and the medics. The tanks have a lot of HP and drink a lot of ammo. You need the medic, and spec-ops to replenish them both. So far my tank is level 2 and you get a chaingun with a shield alt button (think invincible almost when you are receiving fire from the front). For the shield and ammo you have to have a spec-ops be ammo whore (I already hear "Ammo please!" "I need Ammo spec-ops!!". The tank can get damage mitigation items from the store. You can buy them with some kind of items/points you obtain during raids.

*The medics can hold their own, but could do better backing up a warmachine(tank) while he drain enemies for energy (energy used to cure your team), and raising people is almost instant as a medic. They can do a AOE cure around them, or shoot the aoe cure if they're targeting a friendly. Right now my medic don't need spec ops much, but I got a new gun when I hit level 3 I think. I haven't tried it yet. Medics are a good active class in this game. They are no where near as boring as a rpg mage that can't fight nothing, but sit there and tend to the parties only with the occasional debuff on a enemy.

The Spec-ops is the job I chose to take up far. They need medics, but can function ok without the tanks. I wuv it. It has a far scope so I can snipe with a burst shot assault rifle (marksman). The rifle can also send a charge that stops and starts shocking the enemies around it. You give everyone in your team ammo by throwing it at them or dropping it. They don't get ammo from anything else other than boss fights that are scattered throughout the zone I think. Spec-ops is a fragile DD as well. The lowest HP, and no defenses means you gotta stay hidden and out of the way while supplying the tank with his ammo drink. Spec ops also get a cloak where he can be invisible. I don't have it but I saw a fellow spec ops use it. I guess this is the equivalent of -enmity. Do a lot of damage, and use it if you grab attention probably.

There is a store in the game where you can buy items that increase your abilities and such. Like for spec ops there is a item you can buy that increase the amount of ammo people get from each of your ammo boxes. Dropping ammo boxes is limited and on a timer. You can store 2 drops, and it constantly recharges the timer if you aren't maxed at 2. Maybe there's an item to increase the charges, I'm mostly focused on dropping ammo than shooting at the moment.

What else, oh the game looks awesome. There can be 100 enemies, and even more bullets on the screen and you don't get slowdown. There are some zombie like mobs that charge at you swinging their arms and crap. There's a lot going on and you have to keep up with your role to keep the group successful. There is a trophy that you get for completing so many levels without dying. Those types of trophies are going to be reserved for the best clans, or make random groups actually try to work together the best they can.

When things are going good, and leaders are giving orders the game is so awesome. I had a game where I was the only tank, and I had around 2 spec ops on my team. I kept asking for ammo but I guess they didn't know how to use it. That was so horrible, I wasn't getting good exp because we were moving so slow, and the spec ops were playing their own game shooting things. Most of the exp come from bosses and completing objectives I think. They settled for slow chicken feed. 20,000ish exp is the most I got out of one level.

Oh the party system is even better now. So slick and good. The lobby is great, and everything runs like it's a finished product.

------------------------

shagg_187 said:
I've noticed alot of small things that can be added/changed. I'll have to play again to remember them but the only one that i remember from the top of my head is that under the scoreboard for Cooperative, the dead player's color should change to red instead of staying orange. That way, it is easier to know when to wait for them to revive or who to revive instead of searching for them in the map. Usually, alot of players are dead and the 2 or 3 alive are roaming together. They need to know that they are the last 3 people alive. A simple color-coding will help alot.

Oh and the cap for Immortal medal should be reduced to 100 or something. 300 successful co-op is impossible! 100 is somewhat feasible :p

That would be very nice to have. It would prevent a lot of lost games though, but it would be very functional and help keep everyone on the same page.

Good lord, is it me or is every weapon fun as hell to use? Nothing feels broken yet, not even the buffs. Skirmishes is pure genius, I was skeptical about the 60 player matches/rival squads but it works so well. I cannot wait till November!!!

Ploid 3.0

Byakuya769 said:
Good lord, is it me or is every weapon fun as hell to use? Nothing feels broken yet, not even the buffs. Skirmishes is pure genius, I was skeptical about the 60 player matches/rival squads but it works so well. I cannot wait till November!!!

You gotta love the shotgun. The bullseye is very nice for spec ops also. I haven't tried the new weapon I got for medic yet (carbine). R2 is <3 thank you Jstevenson and let insomniac know they have the lightning! I would buy dlc for another 10 leve.. oh how would that work though. Hmm well I would be interested in expansions for the co-op already, and I don't buy dlc, but I did once subscribe to a mmorpg for 3ish years.

Tom Penny said:
So the bosses basically have no A.I. that sucks. They just sit there and take bullets? Were is the tension then.

Yea I wish there was more of a threat from the bosses. The in FFXI there were bosses that stood stationary but if you damaged them wrong, or stood in the wrong spot you'd wipe the team. Maybe make it so mistakes could ruin it for the whole team. Also give the boss abilities that other normal enemies don't have. Like making it so if a person die with a effect they can't be revived within X amount of seconds (respawn too, unless they just can't be revived and the normal respawn is their only option). They won't mind of the fights are exciting, they'd be watching their team as they continue on while sitting on the edge of their seat.

DrPirate

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I've noticed alot of small things that can be added/changed. I'll have to play again to remember them but the only one that i remember from the top of my head are:

1. Under the scoreboard for Cooperative, the dead player's color should change to red instead of staying orange. That way, it is easier to know when to wait for them to revive or who to revive instead of searching for them in the map. Usually, alot of players are dead and the 2 or 3 alive are roaming together. They need to know that they are the last 3 people alive. A simple color-coding will help alot.

2. The cap for Immortal medal should be reduced to 100 or something. 300 successful co-op is impossible! 100 is somewhat feasible :p

3. In the lobby, L2/R2 should be used to change pages. I'm sure it's something that they've implemented in the final game for it's a must.

I would like to add 2 things to this:

1. When scrolling through the game browser, holding down should sustain the scroll. I hate tapping down.

2. Muting people in game...

DrPirate said:

1. When scrolling through the game browser, holding down should sustain the scroll. I hate tapping down.

Those too! :D I hate getting jerks before the scroll kicks in. Muting people in game would also be great if it's not there already (I haven't checked it. I mute people during the lobby for i can tell who is going to be annoying lol).

Ploid 3.0

dwin45 said:
Are there going to be dedicated servers for this game?

You can bet that. If i'm not mistaken, there are dedicated servers now. It's R2, Insomniac is a company that moves froward now backwards.

Acid08

Banned
Played co-op last night. Didn't like it much. Felt too much like a gigantic clusterfuck of shit. Bosses kinds sucked, enemies look really weird, and some of the effects( blood, explosions) look really pixelated and weird. Maybe it's just my TV for that stuff but idk.

One weird thing I noticed is that the hybrids look a lot smaller in R2 than R1. In R1 they seemed a lot taller and more menacing. In co-op they look short and weak. I hope they look and feel differently in the SP.

Despite all this Im loving competatice. So much fun.

Awntawn

Tom Penny said:
So the bosses basically have no A.I. that sucks. They just sit there and take bullets? Were is the tension then.
That's more glitches than anything else. The titans often get stuck on walls, when they're up and about they're pretty deadly. The stalkers on the other hand, I haven't seen move, but they'll still kill you if you're not smart. As it is right now, the big bosses are the easiest part of coop (The steelhead bosses are pretty tough, but the regular enemy AI is so damn aggressive). On one hand, I'd love to see it fixed for realism, on the other I can't imagine how difficult it would become. It's hard enough to complete a stage coop as it is without having to worry about the bosses completely destroying your ass 3;

Tom Penny said:

Bosses are more just a big payoff as a reward for finishing a section. The Titans are dangerous if they start moving or if your soldiers don't provide defensive cover, and if you have a "boss" character that is surrounded by other mobs then good luck. The only really static boss encounters are the Stalker and the two Titans standing on the pedestals. All the other encounters I have had were pretty hectic and required good communication from teammates.

As an aside, the shield carrier enemies will drop their shields if you shoot them in the arm (where the shield projects out of) which will also stun them for a moment. If you are playing Spec-Ops support you should aim there so that the soldier isn't wasting ammo (because the wind up on the minigun is so slow if you stop).

Mardil

would someone share this with me? i bought qore like two weeks after it was released and i havent got my code. contacted costumber service but i don't think they'll answer me until monday. when i get the code, i'll give it to whoever shared it, or maybe to the community.

please?

DrPirate

Banned
And one last thing. All the guns sound awesome except for the Carbine. It sounds like a peanut shooter. The bullseye gives my subwoofer a nice workout, but the Carbine's "barely there" sound is inconsistent and weak.

Acid08

Banned
DrPirate said:
And one last thing. All the guns sound awesome except for the Carbine. It sounds like a peanut shooter. The bullseye gives my subwoofer a nice workout, but the Carbine's "barely there" sound is inconsistent and weak.
Seriously. In R1 the Carbine sounded great and felt like a hefty gun. Now it's like an airsoft gun.

-PXG- said:
To me, it feels like it has a long way to go. R2 feels incomplete and rushed. I thought Resistance 1 was GOOD, but nothing great. SP was a lot of fun, MP was average at best. I thought the game had terrible, inconsistent art direction and poor MP map design.

In the Beta, I don't get a good sense that I am actually making contact with whatever I am shooting. The speed and how things move seem off and out of place. It's just a really sloppy game all over to me. Its fun for a while, but its just mindless mayhem and people creating Marksman phalanxes and shit. I hate to say it, but its a discombobulated mess of a game to be honest. Again, fun for a bit, but just not well put together.

So, I REALLY hope that this isn't anything close to what the final product will be.
From what I've played, I agree.

But I've never been much of a fan of "run n' gun" shooters.

JB1981

I really love revving up that Splicer.

JS: Will matchmaking be available in the beta? I want to gain XP!!! And I don't want to be restricted to user created games with stupid game rules.

What do you guys think of the weapon balance? I find the game to be very, very balanced overall. I still think the Auger needs a little more oomph and the grenade launcher gun needs a little work .. but damn .... great variety of weapons that all handle differently and feel pretty damn good. I also agree with the people who don't care for the Carbine. I've never liked it, not even in the original game. The assault rifle in Halo is at least fun to shoot. .... the Carbine feels hollow. I'd say I probably use the Marksman more than any other weapon. I think the Bullseye is very hard to get kills with (drastic change from the original).

BTW, where the fuck is Kittonwy?

Madman

JB1981 said:
I really love revving up that Splicer.

JS: Will matchmaking be available in the beta? I want to gain XP!!! And I don't want to be restricted to user created games with stupid game rules.

What do you guys think of the weapon balance? I find the game to be very, very balanced overall. I still think the Auger needs a little more oomph and the grenade launcher gun needs a little work .. but damn .... great variety of weapons that all handle differently and feel pretty damn good. I also agree with the people who don't care for the Carbine. I've never liked it, not even in the original game. The assault rifle in Halo is at least fun to shoot. .... the Carbine feels hollow. I'd say I probably use the Marksman more than any other weapon. I think the Bullseye is very hard to get kills with (drastic change from the original).

BTW, where the fuck is Kittonwy?
Banned for a month IIRC.

Baha

DrPirate said:

Holding down DOES sustain the scroll. I thought it didn't too until I held it down longer today. They need to fix that.

Oh and one more thing. I don't know if anybody has played this version of co-op yet but I played one this morning where there's the hill. There's a teleporter on top as usual but it constantly spawns waves of auger wielding chimera and to top it off, there's a titan on the very top of the rock firing like crazy since he can see EVERYTHING. The team I was with lasted a few waves but we kept getting decimated everytime we pushed towards the top of the hill. If the chimera didn't kill us, the Titan's fireballs that kept raining from the sky would.

(Disclaimer. I wrote a long-ass post and i accidentally the whole message!!! Rewriting.)

Baha said:
Holding down DOES sustain the scroll. I thought it didn't too until I held it down longer today. They need to fix that.

Oh and one more thing. I don't know if anybody has played this version of co-op yet but I played one this morning where there's the hill. There's a teleporter on top as usual but it constantly spawns waves of auger wielding chimera and to top it off, there's a titan on the very top of the rock firing like crazy since he can see EVERYTHING. The team I was with lasted a few waves but we kept getting decimated everytime we pushed towards the top of the hill. If the chimera didn't kill us, the Titan's fireballs that kept raining from the sky would.

In that section, the wave of chimeras will keep on flooding in unless the Titan is killed. The wave will stop for a minute or two if you kill alot of them but they'll be back.

chubigans said:
Ah, glad I'm not the only one. Co-op is way way way way WAY too much chaos for me. I got bored shooting things as well...competitive is much better.

Though i have played (and love) co-op more than competitive at this point, you are right. The co-op is chaos but things can be fixed with simple solutions. Let me suggest some from the top of my head:

- Fix the dumb AI. I have played the single player campaigns and the AI is freaking amazing! I'm sure the same AI coding is used for multiplayer. It's not that the AI is dumb, its just that they tend to freeze at times and look at the wrong direction unless they are shot at and woken up again. Knowing that chimeras have more eyes than humans, they shouldn't demonstrate anything less than 120 degrees of arc. They should also know when they are facing a wall, so they don't tend to look at the wrong direction. At one point in the co-op, the titan got stuck and was facing the wall. He turned back only when someone came really close to him, making the melee animation kick in, which resulted in him turning around.

-The co-op feels VERY scripted. Once again, I have played the single-player campaign and yes, even though the co-op is far more open and will be forced to be more scripted due to the amount of players, it should be tweaked a little. During the "titan on the hill" battle (as mentioned above by Baha), at times you see Chimeras spawning at a spawn point that is on our back. To justify this "error", they try to run and meet up with the other chimeras on screen (i.e. ahead of us). Doing so causes them to run past humans without even worrying. The sequence/trigger can only be disrupted if you shoot at them. This can be avoided fairly easily and can have alot of positive results.

- When facing bosses like Stalkers and Titans, i have seen a small meter on top of their health. To be honest, I really don't know if it's an HP bar or an XP bar. Whatever it is, it should be more obvious. If it really is a health bar, then they should adopt a "Street Fighter"-ish bar with mix of yellow/red colors just like the way humans do. Either that or they should adopt a numbering system (for example, 5645/8000). If possible, why not both? The health bar should highlight when you are far from the boss and the numbers should highlight when you are upclose to a boss. If it's not health bar, please tell me what it is for i can't really tell if it's increase or decreasing :p If it's NOT a health bar, then i think the bosses need one.

- Not alot of people tend to use headsets. Why not give everyone 4 (or 8) simple presets? Simple presets like "Medic!", "I need Ammo!", "Take cover!", "Everyone stick together!", "Don't die on me!" can be VERY helpful during combat. They can be easily mainpulated in the controls too (e.g. holding Select will pop out the preset screen. The analog sticks and triggers will still function as normal, giving players the ability to run and shoot or hide.. but D-pads and face buttons will work as preset dialogues. User can choose which preset they want by going to options. Pressing select will resume normal game). Games like MGO and SOCOM demonstrate these brilliantly even though they can live without them. In my opinion, Resistance 2 co-op (and competitive) needs this since the maps are bigger and meaner than before. I'm sure keyboard support is again available in R2, making things simpler but for people without it, preset dialogues would help.

IMO, the co-op is an RPG shooter and i love it! It's fucking amazing and a great addition to Resistance but a few tweaks here and there can make this experience a memorable moment.

Top Bottom