• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

jmd494

Wow...I don't usually play online games but skirmish mode is FANTASTIC! (is the guy who says defend the beacon one of the pirates from ratchet? haha). I love the mode.

I do have one complaint though. While co-op is fun, it feels pretty anticlimactic when you have to fight one of those regular-looking chimera with stars over his head (the ones that literally take 600 - 700 bullets to kill. It makes the wraith feel like it has NO power whatsoever.

The mode is well balanced but I wish there was a way to do that without giving enemies nearly infinite hitpoints.

jmd494

Oh yeah...I have questions:

1. In competitive mode, is it just my imagination or can you not fire with the wraith without the shield instantly disappearing?
2. In competitive mode, it seems like an effective strategy would be to have a spec ops follow a soldier, stay in his shield, fire through his shield, and keep throwing him more shield. My question is, can other co-op partners shoot through their teammates shields?

-PXG-

Snipes424 said:
Weren't you the same guy yesterday who was trolling this forum?

Read this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339143

Private Hoffman said:
I agree. I feel KZ2 is much better as a competitive multiplayer experience. It's hard for me to play the R2 beta competitively after playing KZ2, which is far more polished, has better gameplay dynamics and weapon balance. R1 felt too spammy with lots of laserbeam weapons. I know IG is known for their weapons, but having lots of crazy weapons does not make for a balanced MP game.

That being said, R2 has a fantastic co-op mode, and the single player will definitely be a lot of fun (just like the first). So it's still day 1 to me. I guess you can kind of expect some of these issues with just one year's development time.

I can't imagine what IG would do with 2 years dev time on a project.

I think Killzone 2 is going to be ill. Sort of like Gears, but first person. That shit is going to be crazy and A LOT of fun. But Resistance MP just isn't anything special. Just another run of the mill shooter to me. Single player however is great. The first game's SP was fantasitc, and I am excited to play through R2's campaign.

Clinton514

Leave Killzone 2 out of this thread :lol

Anyway, after playing about an hour of the beta. Here's what I have to say in short:

Loving the Co-op. That's going to be most if not all of my online time I put into this game.

The game still feels too fast(yeah I'm crazy) and chaotic, just like the first. Jumping into a full room made my head spin.

JB1981

Flunkie said:
So no more R2 > KZ2 messages on PSN? :D
I love the multiplayer.
I just don't care for the co-op much. I'm literally sitting here typing this while the rest of my squad does all the work.

IG seems to have sided with raw numbers rather than dynamic gameplay in co-op. The whole experience is completely one-dimensional imo.

-viper-

Banned
Yep. My PS3 locked up twice while playing Resistance.

JB1981 said:
Man, the Goliaths in co-op are just braindead bullet sponges. I'm bored by co-op.
You mean the Stalkers?

I'm going to assume that the Stalkers are puzzled at who to shoot. At least that is what appeared to be the case when I played co-op.

JB1981

-viper- said:
Yep. My PS3 locked up twice while playing Resistance.

You mean the Stalkers?

I'm going to assume that the Stalkers are puzzled at who to shoot. At least that is what appeared to be the case when I played co-op.

The Stalkers and the Goliaths. The boss fights put me to sleep.

xero273

gg guys. My mic was on but I don't think it was working. Do you need to press anything to talk when you are in a party? and how about when you are in-game?

JB1981 said:
I love the multiplayer.
I just don't care for the co-op much. I'm literally sitting here typing this while the rest of my squad does all the work.

IG seems to have sided with raw numbers rather than dynamic gameplay in co-op. The whole experience is completely one-dimensional imo.
Woot. Game couldn't be more dynamic. I've played several times in just one map and I don't think I've seen all objectives yet.

Different strokes I guess. Personally I hate the MP, it looks like ass and the Marksman is super overpowered.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
This game is in serious need of patching. It has locked up my PS3 each time for the last 3 matches. Anyone else going through this?
Never happened here, but I do get disconnected alot from co-op matches. Some network errors.

Llyranor

Wow, medic is awesome hectic fun. But it's a tough job.

Between trying to keep myself alive, replenishing my healgun ammo, trying to keep my allies up and revive as needed, and sometimes having to try to keep separate groups relatively far apart alive at the same time, it's a great challenge. Got a lot of you guys dead anyway, but it was fun nevertheless!

xero273

Rainy Dog said:
Yup, wired router. Not sure what you mean by directly to the net?

Take the eternet cable directly from your modem and plug it into the PS3. This only works if your modem is not a router/modem.

That was a fun co-op game, but it seemed to be a bit shorter objective wise. I think we could have definitely used another Spec-Op to balance out the soldiers.

I love how there are so many different objectives and that you will actually approach the same objective from different parts of the map in different games. It keeps things fresh even when you have replayed the same objective a dozen times.

The medic is definitely easy exp. and it is great that he also gets grenades to help clear out some of the rough patches. The later upgrades to the various classes indicates that play style will probably change dramatically if you load-out your class differently. Today I unlocked Chloraform for the Medic, and Invisibility for the Spec-Op.

I agree that the Stalker is a bit lame, but the drones are brutal if just rush in. It would have been nice if it had an area of effect attack to repel. But then it is also situated in an area where it has no mobility and we have the high ground.

I am definitely more excited for the co-op then I expected to be prior to the beta. Thank you IG.

Rainy Dog

xero273 said:
Take the eternet cable directly from your modem and plug it into the PS3. This only works if your modem is not a router/modem.

Cheers xero273. It's a 4-port router though, so no go unfortunately :(

DrPirate

Banned
JB1981 said:

This.

The boss fights are really, really, really boring.

If everyone just circles the boss, not only do they take way too long to kill, but they don't even shoot at you because they don't know how to shoot at.

Madman

DrPirate said:
This.

The boss fights are really, really, really boring.

If everyone just circles the boss, not only do they take way too long to kill, but they don't even shoot at you because they don't know how to shoot at.
They become more difficult at higher levels. Keep playing if you want more of a challenge.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
So it really is like playing an MMO :lol

I sort of had that experience yesterday. I was in an 8 person coop game and there was a room filled with 2 star elites and we just stood there shooting them...I was a medic and I was practically invincible. Just stood in the doorway and unleashed. Another medic stood on the other side and we healed each other when necessary.

It's not that it's boring per se, but it really is MMO like.

patsu

Madman said:
They become more difficult at higher levels. Keep playing if you want more of a challenge.

The differences between the hybrids and the bosses are too great. The hybrids are amazing on the hilltop battle. The big guys (Titans, Stalker) do nothing. They should move them around more, and make them charge random players... especially medics. Do something else (e.g., tone down damage) to make it easier for lower level folks.

I totally agree that the bosses are very boring to fight. Hopefully this is part of the day 1 patch.

xero273 said:
For those that are looking for a coop game, shagg_187 has a neogaf room up.

Room: Neogaf Alive!!

Ahh, better luck next time? ..That didn't last very long XD

Oh, and good game PlutoBux. The First time I've completed a co-op level.

xero273

Assembly Required said:
Ahh, better luck next time? ..That didn't last very long XD

Oh, and good game PlutoBux. The First time I've completed a co-op level.

ha yea. three people playing isn't enough.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Good couple of games there.

I agree with anyone who says the bosses are too easy. I was able to run right past the Stalker on numerous occassions. Maybe they should put the bosses in more open environments (think of the Stalker battle in Manchester in R1 single player.)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As far as disconnects and matchmaking etc. Lots will be fixed with Day one patch.

In addition, we'll be continuing to support the game beyond launch, so suggestions on MyResistance will help us a lot :)

careksims

jstevenson said:
As far as disconnects and matchmaking etc. Lots will be fixed with Day one patch.

In addition, we'll be continuing to support the game beyond launch, so suggestions on MyResistance will help us a lot :)

Ah you and IG are a blessing to this industry. Though when we played a 60 player map last night.... it was such a mess >_> Hopefully I'll get use to it

Darkpen

Banned
man, co-op feels more like I'm playing an MMORPG than it does anything else. The enemies keep on piling in until a trigger's switched, or the bosses are giant bullet sponges. Really hard sometimes.

And I keep thinking in TF2 terms :lol

Darkpen said:
man, co-op feels more like I'm playing an MMORPG than it does anything else. The enemies keep on piling in until a trigger's switched, or the bosses are giant bullet sponges. Really hard sometimes.

And I keep thinking in TF2 terms :lol

I couldn't agree more.

Madman

patsu said:
The differences between the hybrids and the bosses are too great. The hybrids are amazing on the hilltop battle. The big guys (Titans, Stalker) do nothing. They should move them around more, and make them charge random players... especially medics. Do something else (e.g., tone down damage) to make it easier for lower level folks.

I totally agree that the bosses are very boring to fight. Hopefully this is part of the day 1 patch.
I am pretty sure that at higher levels, the bosses will give you much more of a challenge.

JB1981

Madman said:
I am pretty sure that at higher levels, the bosses will give you much more of a challenge.

It has more to do with AI logic than challenge. The boss' literally do not do anything. The stalkers and the Goliaths stand in place and take about 1 million shots before going down. I was playing as a Soldier and literally stood in front of the goliath and held down R1 for 10 minutes. Not fun.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
JB1981 said:
It has more to do with AI logic than challenge. The boss' literally do not do anything. The stalkers and the Goliaths stand in place and take about 1 million shots before going down. I was playing as a Soldier and literally stood in front of the goliath and held down R1 for 10 minutes. Not fun.
Ah, glad I'm not the only one. Co-op is way way way way WAY too much chaos for me. I got bored shooting things as well...competitive is much better.

Top Bottom