• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

jett

D-Member
Okay, when you you and your teammates know what you're doing co-op is pretty awesome, I love playing as the medic. OTOH, I totally suck at competitive multiplayer. :p

Graphically technically it's pretty remarkable, but I guess I just don't like the artstyle used. R1 was too bland and bleak, R2 is the extreme opposite: it can get insanely garish, and I liked the Speed Racer movie. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jstevenson said:
I believe there were some Titan co-op fixes, I think a lot of crash bugs should've been fixed too.
Titan fixes? That's a much more substantial patch than I expected. Guess I'll need to check it out once I'm done with work.

Septimus

Any leftover NA(Canadian) codes? I preordered long ago and still can't get a code and can't apply either since it won't take my email.

M3Freak

Banned
RoboPlato said:
How long has the beta MyResistance site been up? It's AWESOME. It autotracks all your stats, makes and makes pie charts the divide up the time that you've been playing. The co-op stats are really in depth for the individual classes. Check it out:
http://beta.myresistance.net

I like that site - very cool. It would be even cooler if we could access all of it in-game, but if not, no biggie.

oneHeero

M3Freak said:
played some more DM last night. more impressions (more solidified impressions, anyway):

- grenade throwing still sucks in competitive. I simply cannot throw a grenade as far or as accurately as I could in RFoM, or even in R2's co-op mode. I hate them now because they are a liability.
- it definitely takes longer to drop a person than it did in RFoM. I played almost 4500 rounds of RFoM - there is no question it's a longer kill in R2.
- my aim is massively decreased because of the massive reticule. I need a smaller, compact reticule for my eyes to focus on something when shooting. For me, the big reticule "disappears" when I'm firing, and then I end up flailing wildly because it becomes very difficult to tell if my aim is good.
- because of the stupid reticule, the ironsight is still the best way to guarantee a quick, accurate kill. A complete departure from RFoM. Relying on the ironsight means a slow game, which means it's not what I expected of the second game in the Resistance series.

- maybe I have to increase the sensitivity, but turning and shooting takes FOREVER. If I'm getting shot in the back, it's over - I will not survive. In RFoM, if you were fast enough, you could turn around and take out the guy shooting you.
You stated yiur answer to the 1st bold. Its not that it takes longer(as you can see in the last bold) but its that your aim sucks cuz of the new reticule.

If you want you can add me on psn and play with us and see that there is no difference, if anything you can die faster lol.

PSN Wise_

Jeseus

i have been able to play RES2 beta without any noticable lag until today (after patch 1.03) -when some people die (co-op) they just standing for me with minimum health (beside players name its showing connection problem) and i can heal them its like cheat :) XP,XP,XP,XP after one round i have over 55 000 XP :lol ...

PLEASE FIX THIS

Goldrusher

RoboPlato said:
How long has the beta MyResistance site been up? It's AWESOME. It autotracks all your stats, makes and makes pie charts the divide up the time that you've been playing. The co-op stats are really in depth for the individual classes. Check it out:
http://beta.myresistance.net

Cool.

2hpsu91.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
M3Freak said:
played some more DM last night. more impressions (more solidified impressions, anyway):

- grenade throwing still sucks in competitive. I simply cannot throw a grenade as far or as accurately as I could in RFoM, or even in R2's co-op mode. I hate them now because they are a liability.
I agree. Grenade throwing was more fun in rfom.

M3Freak said:
- it definitely takes longer to drop a person than it did in RFoM. I played almost 4500 rounds of RFoM - there is no question it's a longer kill in R2.
I agree, it does take longer. Not a big deal though if you're good. :p
M3Freak said:
- because of the stupid reticule, the ironsight is still the best way to guarantee a quick, accurate kill. A complete departure from RFoM. Relying on the ironsight means a slow game, which means it's not what I expected of the second game in the Resistance series.
I think this is a good thing, like andydumi said. Realistically, Ironsight SHOULD be more accurate than not aiming.

M3Freak said:
- maybe I have to increase the sensitivity, but turning and shooting takes FOREVER. If I'm getting shot in the back, it's over - I will not survive. In RFoM, if you were fast enough, you could turn around and take out the guy shooting you.
I don't find it that bad. I mean again, realistically if you get shot in the back most likely you're not going to be able to turn around and shoot back. But im confused, you said it takes longer to turn around but longer to be killed? shouldnt that equal out?

I know it's Resistance, an alien invasion fps but it seems Insomniac are trying to make it much more grounded and realistic than R1. A little slower gameplay, much more things going on screen which gives it a war feel to it. Which I'm all for.

M3Freak

Banned
oneHeero said:
You stated yiur answer to the 1st bold. Its not that it takes longer(as you can see in the last bold) but its that your aim sucks cuz of the new reticule.

If you want you can add me on psn and play with us and see that there is no difference, if anything you can die faster lol.

PSN Wise_

Yes, that's true. But, others in the GAF clan have said the same thing, even guys that had much better stats than I did in RFoM.

I have noticed that when I manage to tag someone with the bullseye, they go down faster than in RFoM. The problem is, tagging is really hard because, you guessed it, the reticule is poo.

Rolf NB

Did anyone else experience, how shall I say it, spontaneous race changes? During a couple TDM matches in Chicago alleys, while playing the human side, suddenly Chimera with blue arrows (player team) would start spawning and vice versa. I have no idea what caused it. I think the race is supposed to be predetermined, with players only able to configure the loadouts. But then that might be an option reserved for high-level players ...?

Anyone seen this as well?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BTW - if you somehow have kept the R2 beta running, and haven't gotten the patch, please quit out and log back in so you can get the 1.03 update.

So I finally got a chance to play 2-3 hours in a row last night. We had another great co-op session, but then I got into a 60 player team deathmatch. I have to say the more I play the more I love it. I take back what I said about the aguer, I managed to score in the top 5 with it every time. Everytime someone stops moving they get destroyed through a wall : ) I don't know if I was really feeling it before but I'm ready for R2 now. I haven't even seen any of the SP mode yet, which I know is going to be outstanding. I am going to completely crush this game in 2 weeks.

I will disagree about the time of death. Honestly I think its exactly the same. The time it take me to kill someone with the bullseye is the same IMO and the carbine. The auger seems longer but it's only A fast kill when you get up close and I haven't done that yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jstevenson said:
BTW - if you somehow have kept the R2 beta running, and haven't gotten the patch, please quit out and log back in so you can get the 1.03 update.

I have been playing through it, so Ill restart.

That said, can you make the "death indicator" redish screen edges appear later (less health) in coop? Even if I lose a 4th or a 3rd of my health the edges get red and since I dont regenerate as a Scout in coop, I play around for half an hour with red edges... I can see it in SP or in the competitive where the red edges go away as I heal relatively quickly, but in coop where medics often ignore you until you get closer to death...it gets annoying to play with a constantly red screen.

inner-G

Banned
Just pre-ordered but no code :/

Oh well, I know It'll kick ass when I get it.

*got a code, see y'all on tonight :D :D Can't wait to check out the Chicago map

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BobTheFork said:
So I finally got a chance to play 2-3 hours in a row last night. We had another great co-op session, but then I got into a 60 player team deathmatch. I have to say the more I play the more I love it. I take back what I said about the aguer, I managed to score in the top 5 with it every time. Everytime someone stops moving they get destroyed through a wall : ) I don't know if I was really feeling it before but I'm ready for R2 now. I haven't even seen any of the SP mode yet, which I know is going to be outstanding. I am going to completely crush this game in 2 weeks.

I will disagree about the time of death. Honestly I think its exactly the same. The time it take me to kill someone with the bullseye is the same IMO and the carbine. The auger seems longer but it's only A fast kill when you get up close and I haven't done that yet.
I think a lot of the people that have been complaining about stuff like that have either played R1 too much so their looking for every possible difference or too little to remember what R1 was actually like online.

RoboPlato said:
I think a lot of the people that have been complaining about stuff like that have either played R1 too much so their looking for every possible difference or too little to remember what R1 was actually like online.
eh, I don't really know exactly what it is. Allot of the guys from the resistance 1 clan just don't like it and don't think they will play that long. Kind of sucks because that was the best part of RFOM. I understand some of the points they have but none of it really bothers me too much. I'm really enjoying it so its just a disagreement; it really seems to be a huge split of opinions amongst heavy R1 players

M3Freak

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I think this is a good thing, like andydumi said. Realistically, Ironsight SHOULD be more accurate than not aiming.

But, that's completely antithetical to what made RFoM so good and so addictive! As I've said earlier in this thread, R2's target demographic is different from RFoM's.

Bad_Boy said:
I don't find it that bad. I mean again, realistically if you get shot in the back most likely you're not going to be able to turn around and shoot back. But im confused, you said it takes longer to turn around but longer to be killed? shouldnt that equal out?

The kill isn't so long that you have enough time to turn around and return the favour. For example, I used to have enough time to turn around and chuck a grenade in the other guy's direction: that many times took him out, even if managed to kill me. So far, I haven't been able to do even that in R2. Granted, I haven't played much, but I should be able to repeat that tactic here. I suppose with enough practice with R2's game play style I may be able to repeat that...

Bad_Boy said:
I know it's Resistance, an alien invasion fps but it seems Insomniac are trying to make it much more grounded and realistic than R1. A little slower gameplay, much more things going on screen which gives it a war feel to it. Which I'm all for.

That's exactly the issue. It's a monster FPS - making it more realistic, plodding and, well, CoD4 like, is not what made me a RFoM fan. Hell, RFoM single handedly made me like the FPS genre! That's saying a lot. I don't like some of the FPS sub-genres (e.g. realistic FPSes), but I do enjoy FPSes now.

I realized something today: R2's name is quite a bit different from R:FoM. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but perhaps the departure from the game naming convention IG has used in the past is their way of telling us R2 is nothing like R:FoM.

BobTheFork said:
eh, I don't really know exactly what it is. Allot of the guys from the resistance 1 clan just don't like it and don't think they will play that long. Kind of sucks because that was the best part of RFOM. I understand some of the points they have but none of it really bothers me too much. I'm really enjoying it so its just a disagreement; it really seems to be a huge split of opinions amongst heavy R1 players

I am sure you will find that split among fans when any sequel is released. We all may be playing the same game but the attraction to that game may be different for each of us. I think that this thread has more than proven this. We will have to set up a new GAF clan to take advantage of the many people that are really enjoying the new experience.

the_prime_mover said:
I am sure you will find that split among fans when any sequel is released. We all may be playing the same game but the attraction to that game may be different for each of us. I think that this thread has more than proven this. We will have to set up a new GAF clan to take advantage of the many people that are really enjoying the new experience.
Well yeah the clan wasn't just going to be the same people (we maxed out the limit on RFOM anyways lol) but the main group that have played continuously since it came out (~a dozen people) doesn't look like it will be returning which really kind of sux :/

M3Freak said:
But, that's completely antithetical to what made RFoM is good and so addictive! As I've said earlier in this thread, R2's target demographic is different from RFoM's.
This is really the only thing I totally disagree with. I don't think the appeal of RFOM had anything to do with the aiming or shooting mechanics. To me the key philosophy for R1 was:
-Lots of players
-Stable online play (unbelievably stable)
-Fast paced action

Now I do think the they have slowed the speed a bit which changes how the game handles but its not a major switch to Cod4 or God forbid Halo speed. The main appeal is still there with the massive scope and the stable play.

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
This is really the only thing I totally disagree with. I don't think the appeal of RFOM had anything to do with the aiming or shooting mechanics. To me the key philosophy for R1 was:
-Lots of players
-Stable online play (unbelievably stable)
-Fast paced action

Now I do think the they have slowed the speed a bit which changes how the game handles but its not a major switch to Cod4 or God forbid Halo speed. The main appeal is still there with the massive scope and the stable play.

It's not fast anymore. that's the problem! I can run fast, but the actual fighting isn't. Something is off. It's not Resistance anymore.

To be clear: I didn't want R:FoM 2. I wanted a better game; not a whole sale departure from what I played the first time. Perhaps I would have been more open to these drastic changes if they had been introduced slower. Say, some in R2, and the whole shebang in R3. Just a thought...not saying that's how it should have been.

I'll play R2 with you Bob. But, I don't see myself playing as much, unless the day 1 patch (which also makes NOOOOOOOO sense) fixes more of the crap that's turning me and others (you know who) off.

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
Does the patch make the game good? Please say yes, Please say yes :D

j-wood

I've been playing the beta for about a week, but none of my stats show up on the beta.myresistance.net website. Everything is still set to zero. Is there a reason for this?

j-wood said:
I've been playing the beta for about a week, but none of my stats show up on the beta.myresistance.net website. Everything is still set to zero. Is there a reason for this?

Only shows ranked competitive (impossible to get into in my experience). Coop should be tracking though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Only shows ranked competitive (impossible to get into in my experience). Coop should be tracking though.

Unranked stats will be displayed on the site eventually soon too. Still doing lots of stuff to it :)

GodofWine

Im confused...

People are saying RFOM was "fast" and R2 is less so and feels more like COD4...but I consider COD4 to be silly fast...and do not remember RFOM being like that. I own RFOM but never played it much online (got it WAY late).

Can someone just rank those 3 games in terms of speed? id say from fastest to slowest = COD4, RFOM, R2 (but my perception is obviously skewed from being away from 2 of these for awhile)...R2 does not feel slow at all..it feels normal..which is good. I don't remember RFOM feeling too fast..but I remember COD4 feeling like sprinting with guns. halp!

GodofWine said:
Im confused...

People are saying RFOM was "fast" and R2 is less so and feels more like COD4...but I consider COD4 to be silly fast...and do not remember RFOM being like that. I own RFOM but never played it much online (got it WAY late).

Can someone just rank those 3 games in terms of speed? id say from fastest to slowest = COD4, RFOM, R2 (but my perception is obviously skewed from being away from 2 of these for awhile)...R2 does not feel slow at all..it feels normal..which is good. I don't remember RFOM feeling too fast..but I remember COD4 feeling like sprinting with guns. halp!

To me, it feels like this (From fastest to slowest):

1. R:FOM
2. R2
3. COD4

GodofWine said:
Im confused...

didn't really play anogh cod4 to say, but I always compared RFOM to being just a small step slower than Unreal tournament, which is compete twitch speed. The single player was much slower than the online portion. Just the normal walking speed was very quick for a console shooter and the full sprint let you run a circle around people in no time. R2 runs a hair slower than RFOM, but it's also the iron sights shooting that slows the pace down some. If you just run an gun like I tend to its still fast.

slider

GodofWine said:
Im confused...

I own 2 of those and have pre-ordered the 3rd. Strange but I've never once played COD4 online. In fact I didn't even finish the single player despite really enjoying it.

As for speed, R1 was fast. Sometimes crazily so. And I really loved that about it. I'm DL'ing the R2 beta* as I type so will post some useless impressions later.

*It's taking forever! Only at 48% and I had to delete a whole load of PSN games from my 60gig HDD. I've a feeling it'll be worth it though.

EDIT: BobTheFork said it right in that comparison with Unreal Tournie.

Ceb

Damn, I always manage to miss beta key handouts. -_-

When do the first keys start to go out to the lucky among those who registered at the MyResistance beta site?

GodofWine

Teknoman said:
R2 feels like a decent balance between speed and tactics.

Thats what Im thinking too...I have played both styles (run/gun and tactically move) within the R2 beta and both work..thats what I like about it.

Teknoman said:
R2 feels like a decent balance between speed and tactics.
That's always good, but honestly I prefer the total chaos that is 60 player TDM. The map is soo huge you could have guys hiding anywhere or sniping from anywhere. You randomly meet up with packs of allies and enemies. It really gets crazy.

GodofWine

BobTheFork said:
That's always good, but honestly I prefer the total chaos that is 60 player TDM. The map is soo huge you could have guys hiding anywhere or sniping from anywhere. You randomly meet up with packs of allies and enemies. It really gets crazy.

Oh hell, the 60player rooms are just crazy....last night I found a rock I could climb in the corner of a map (no one sneaking up on me)...and crouched on top of it for a few minutes with my Fareye...eventually the spawning moved within range..oh yes..it was fun

.....though eventually someone place a slug in my head.....

Teknoman

BobTheFork said:

Actually thats what I mean. I was on the chicago map a few days ago, when a huge grenade fest broke out on one of the streets. Launchers and handhelds. I decided to hit one of the bounce pads to get to higher ground and go around the side. Found a dead soldier's fareye(?) sniper rifile up top (I was Chimera) and ended up playing the role of sniper for the rest of the match. So much chaos on the ground, yet so quiet up top :D

Of course, I missed one person's head and then ended up having a sniper battle with them for the rest of the match, while crazy amounts of gunfire were taking place on the streets below.

I do wish your squad members would...actually act like a squad though. No one talks ; ;
Oh and whats the right d-pad communication option for? I pressed it, but didnt see any icons pop up. Is that just for normal non-team based games?

BobTheFork said:
didn't really play anogh cod4 to say, but I always compared RFOM to being just a small step slower than Unreal tournament, which is compete twitch speed. The single player was much slower than the online portion. Just the normal walking speed was very quick for a console shooter and the full sprint let you run a circle around people in no time. R2 runs a hair slower than RFOM, but it's also the iron sights shooting that slows the pace down some. If you just run an gun like I tend to its still fast.

RFOM is way slower than UNREAL.

In fact, I'd say the gap between Unreal and RFOM is as large or larger than the gap between RFOM and Halo. It's why I really couldn't go back to RFOM after UT3 game out... I don't like walking in molasses.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BobTheFork said:

This. And the fun thing is they are in such a frenzy to chase each other if you just stand still, they go right by.

I was playing earlier as Humans, and a horde of 10-12 aliens swarmed by at full speed... and then a dozen humans after them. And I was standing on the side of the road...laughing.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
R2 beta is downloadinng now. I checked the OP, but I can't find an end date for the beta. Any idea how long i'm going to get to enjoy this?

My Arms Your Hearse said:
RFOM is way slower than UNREAL.
Someone already agreed with me, I win :p
UT and Rfom are the two shooters I've played the most and That's just what I think. When you played as the chimera there was almost no difference, you could run all the time with no accuracy loss. Either way, RFOM is the faster console only shoot I've ever played by a mile.

M3Freak

Banned
GodofWine said:
Oh hell, the 60player rooms are just crazy....last night I found a rock I could climb in the corner of a map (no one sneaking up on me)...and crouched on top of it for a few minutes with my Fareye...eventually the spawning moved within range..oh yes..it was fun

.....though eventually someone place a slug in my head.....

Do you play ranked or unranked? I see tons of people playing custom games...which is gay (usually).

BobTheFork said:
Someone already agreed with me, I win :p
UT and Rfom are the two shooters I've played the most and That's just what I think. When you played as the chimera there was almost no difference, you could run all the time with no accuracy loss. Either way, RFOM is the faster console only shoot I've ever played by a mile.

Well, I'll agree with the console only part. But it's still SLOOOOOW compared to Unreal/Quake. Slow in every possible respect (if you want fast kills virtually every gun in Unreal is capable of a one hit kill).

Top Bottom