• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

test_account

XP-39C²
rod said:
i really cant believe these bias calls :lol talk about insecure, i have no agenda, especially towards microsoft! like i said, i play mostly pc games these days anyway...i wasnt comparing ps3 to a pc, but it definitely gives me more of a [dante]warm and fuzzy feeling [/dante] than any of these consoles do :lol
Ok, i missunderstood then, sorry. But what are you comparing it to? :)

EDIT: I see that you mentioned some games earlier, like Call of Duty 4 etc., do you mean the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of these games?

Mahadev

test_account said:
Ok, i missunderstood then, sorry. But what are you comparing it to? :)

EDIT: I see that you mentioned some games earlier, like Call of Duty 4 etc., do you mean the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of these games?

Dude he also mentioned Halo 3 and CoD3. Why are you wasting your time discussing it? He's just here to troll.

Ploid 3.0

You know even with the guy asking him to name console games that look better, and the fact that it says halo 3 and not 2, I think he means PC? But he forgot crisis warhead. So yea most likely consoles :\

Ah whateva it's now saturday, one day closer to R2!

Dizzan

MINI Member
God, grow up people. It's a game..

Anyway to maybe get this thread back on track, was the Orick Trailer CG or in game assets? If so, was it touched up because I thought it was very impressive.

Dizzan said:
God, grow u people. It's a game..

Anyway to maybe get this thread back on track, was the Orick Trailer CG or in game assets? If so, was it touched up because I thought it was very impressive.

in-game assets.

mr_nothin

Banned
f@luS said:
worst troll ever. GTFO
Not really all that bad..
IDK what it is about insomniac and their texturing method but alot of the textures look smooth. It's weird, they're like blurry or something.
And their lighting systems are pretty iffy also. Some objects look like they have prelit_1 on.
Its kind of like a mixed bag.
Im talking only Resistance games.

That R2 cutscene looks AMAZING though.
The actual game hasnt impressed me all that much just yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ploid 3.0 said:
You know even with the guy asking him to name console games that look better, and the fact that it says halo 3 and not 2, I think he means PC? But he forgot crisis warhead. So yea most likely consoles :\

Ah whateva it's now saturday, one day closer to R2!
Ye, he might be talking about the consoles. I was just wondering :)

Indeed, 1 day closer to R2, i'm pretty sure that i will buy it at day 1! :)

antiloop

rod said:
i really cant believe these bias calls :lol talk about insecure, i have no agenda, especially towards microsoft! like i said, i play mostly pc games these days anyway...i wasnt comparing ps3 to a pc, but it definitely gives me more of a [dante]warm and fuzzy feeling [/dante] than any of these consoles do :lol

I'm not a big R1 fan myself but coming in to a thread and calling "POS".. really what do people expect.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Guys its a Resitance 2 thread, if you dont like it ,dont post here.
Please stay on topic ,until now it was an awesome thread. :D

rod said:
id say cod3, cod4, r6v, bioshock, h3 (being as ugly as it is, technically) and UT3 all look better than r2. but hey, i thought r1 was an ugly POS too.

but when your attitude is

there really is no point in arguing.

i AM curious in what gives YOU such a hard on for anything sony related. i truly am.

you must be tripping on bioshock and UT 3... I played the UT 3 demo on maximum settings pc and was pretty damn unimpressed....bioshock looks nice and is great artistically, but technically its really not that impressive... H3 is crazy though haha. It doesnt look nearly as bad as some people on here make out, but there are alot of games that also look better

rod said:
id say cod3, cod4, r6v, bioshock, h3 (being as ugly as it is, technically) and UT3 all look better than r2. but hey, i thought r1 was an ugly POS too.

i AM curious in what gives YOU such a hard on for anything sony related. i truly am.
Your delusional....

gbovo

rod said:
AGENDA! XBOT! and all that crap
dude, the thread title reads "Resistance 2 Hype Thread with latest info". If you're not interested in/impressed by what you've seen so far of the game, and thought its predecessor was a piece of shit, then why are posting in a thread for people who are 'hyped' about the game?

patsu

rod said:
that is a good point. i truly do think cod4 looks better, resistances (mainly all insomniac games) seem to have really basic textures, and they just concentrate on big landscapes. honestly though, i just dont find r2 to be visually impressive. at all. i understand nearly everyone in here has a MASSIVE hard on for the game and has decided that no matter what, it will be theyre GOTY no matter how average it is (see uncharted, r1). the only thing decent about r1 was the multi. imo anyway. i think you are really forgetting how great some of those other games look. maybe im just a sucker for lots of colours and hi res textures and shit, its just a personal opinion.

edit: if you wanted to try and prove your "r2 is visually impressive" point a bit better, i wouldve picked the very first shots shown. you know the ones with the ships flying over the city? yeah. those look pretty average. big machine=impressive? k.

What is not impressive about r2 ? Or rather how much have you seen R2 so far ?

While you complained about people loving R2 just because of its scale, complaining about R2 because of lack of color in one level is just as shallow. Both views are equally immature and insecure. CoD3 and UT3 are definitely not as refined as the R2 visuals. They just look more colorful but they are too rough. CoD4 and R6V look good, but they depict a different world. Lighting-wise, R2 is better.

I'd say most people see more than just scale in R2, it's usually a combined experience. The scale factor simply adds the multiplier effect. Whether it's the best... well we'll know once it's released. Even beta testers like me haven't seen the game yet.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm always surprised as to how invested people can get into something like graphics. I'm probably not picky enough: I think the Resistance games look great, CoD4 looks great, BioShock... This generation I just don't see the use in comparing and nitpicking, they're all pleasant to look at. I guess it can't be that easy huh

Luckyman

Banned
In game wise R2 definitely needs to show more to put it past the competition in graphics.. so far it has lacked that final pop that some games have.

rod said:
that is a good point. i truly do think cod4 looks better, resistances (mainly all insomniac games) seem to have really basic textures, and they just concentrate on big landscapes. honestly though, i just dont find r2 to be visually impressive. at all. i understand nearly everyone in here has a MASSIVE hard on for the game and has decided that no matter what, it will be theyre GOTY no matter how average it is (see uncharted, r1). the only thing decent about r1 was the multi. imo anyway. i think you are really forgetting how great some of those other games look. maybe im just a Dumbass Troll and shit, its just a personal opinion.

edit: if you wanted to try and prove your "r2 is visually impressive" point a bit better, i wouldve picked the very first shots shown. you know the ones with the ships flying over the city? yeah. those look pretty average. big machine=impressive? k.

Fixed!

Trevelyan

Banned
James, I was reading through the PTOM R2 article, and noticed they said the game would take you from Iceland>San Fran>Orick>Twin Falls>Chicago>Mother ship. Are those all the loctations that will be in the final game, or are there still some other locations you haven't showed yet?

The pics look fantastic, btw, and the write-up is awesome.

Nizz

Darunia said:
I'm always surprised as to how invested people can get into something like graphics. I'm probably not picky enough: I think the Resistance games look great, CoD4 looks great, BioShock... This generation I just don't see the use in comparing and nitpicking, they're all pleasant to look at. I guess it can't be that easy huh
Yes, you're right. Bioshock, UT3, COD 4....they all look amazing to me. Resistance 2 looks amazing to me, Killzone 2 looks amazing. I'm just happy to be playing or about to play these games! F.E.A.R. 2, Far Cry 2, COD:WaW all look pretty hot as well.

patsu

Luckyman said:
In game wise R2 definitely needs to show more to put it past the competition in graphics.. so far it has lacked that final pop that some games have.

What's shown so far are the complex and large environments. e.g., The Leviathan scene, 60-player MP map with a healthy supply of foliage. Is there another console game that achieved this level of performance ?

The Leviathan level has lot's of background details. The building in the final level will be on fire too, not to mention the water down below.

There are enough impressive elements in the final game. I think people just don't connect with the art.

Concept17

Darunia said:

Indeed. Some of the more mediocre titles can even look great at times. Force Unleashed for instance looks absolutely amazing in certain levels. Often times it falls on level design as much as art direction and technical graphics.

patsu said:
What's shown so far are the complex and large environments. e.g., The Leviathan scene, 60-player MP map with a healthy supply of foliage. Is there another console game that achieved this level of performance ?

The Leviathan level has lot's of background details. The building in the final level will be on fire too, not to mention the water down below.

There are enough impressive elements in the final game. I think people just don't connect with the art.

Yeah, I think the leviathon level looks really impressive...this is coming from someone who plays crysis on pretty high settings

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Trevelyan said:
James, I was reading through the PTOM R2 article, and noticed they said the game would take you from Iceland>San Fran>Orick>Twin Falls>Chicago>Mother ship. Are those all the loctations that will be in the final game, or are there still some other locations you haven't showed yet?

The pics look fantastic, btw, and the write-up is awesome.

That isn't the correct order, nor is it the final list. Still several levels we haven't shown.

jstevenson said:
That isn't the correct order, nor is it the final list. Still several levels we haven't shown.

Only several?

Heh, you've only showed like...4 that I know of. Can't remember how many levels R1 had...but it was a lot. My only worry about R2 is that the campaign will be shortened due to all the other ambitious modes taking a lot of time to develop.

R1 had a meaty campaign that I loved.

Trevelyan

Banned
jstevenson said:
Was the level shown at the Gamestop manager's conference a new level, or the flooded(I think i read somewhere parts of Twin Falls are flooded...) section of the Twin Falls level?

And thanks for the answer, can't wait to see what the other levels are like. Everything so far has seem really varied compared to R1. :D

thuway

Private Hoffman said:
Only several?

Heh, you've only showed like...4 that I know of. Can't remember how many levels R1 had...but it was a lot. My only worry about R2 is that the campaign will be shortened due to all the other ambitious modes taking a lot of time to develop.

I don't know many locations the first game had, but it had 30 levels I think. If they go for the same legnth or maybe slightly longer, I'll be more than happy.

Trevelyan said:
Was the level shown at the Gamestop manager's conference a new level, or the flooded(I think i read somewhere parts of Orick are flooded...) section of the Orick level?

And thanks for the answer, can't wait to see what the other levels are like. Everything so far has seem really varied compared to R1. :D

I believe the new level they showed to the press was Twin Falls. I could be wrong though. Hopefully we'll get to see it in action next week.

Trevelyan

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I believe the new level they showed to the press was Twin Falls. I could be wrong though. Hopefully we'll get to see it in action next week.
Haha, yeah. I remembered it was Twin Falls. I'd really like to a swamp-type level, something set in the bayous of Louisiana or Miss.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Private Hoffman said:
Only several?

Right, but that was over maybe 10 locations and each location had 2-3 levels. We now have full-on region streaming, so we don't have those breaks in the action. The campaign is definitely meaty.

Kittonwy

Banned
rod said:

I'm not sure why you even have r6v in there. Halo 3 IS impressive in its lighting (best lighting on the 360) and its forest environments (grass, trees, rocks and water all look natural and convincing), most of the outdoor stuff looked ace, I don't agree that COD3 and UT3 looked better than R2, not so sure about COD4 (it got its moments, not all the time) since I haven't seen the more recent R2 build. The thing that I'm concerned with the Insomniac engine has always been lighting (the need for HDR lighting as well as lens flare)/shadowing (not just self-shadowed characters, but self-shadowed environments as well as objects even the ones on the ground) and ground and wall textures (the need for them to be not just higher resolution but actually more natural and gritty as well as more convincing). We'll see, the problem is there hasn't been enough shown, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more footage of the game, not more pre-recorded cutscenes but actual gameplay.

I don't agree with you on Uncharted getting any kind of special treatment, it's just about the most polished single player experience on the system from art to actual gameplay whether it's controls or friend + enemy AI or gameplay scenarios.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Trevelyan said:
Was the level shown at the Gamestop manager's conference a new level, or the flooded(I think i read somewhere parts of Twin Falls are flooded...) section of the Twin Falls level?

No, we showed single-player Orick, CA...

thuway

Kittonwy said:
I'm not sure why you even have r6v in there. Halo 3 IS impressive in its lighting (best lighting on the 360) and its forest environments (grass, trees, rocks and water all look natural and convincing), most of the outdoor stuff looked ace, I don't agree that COD3 and UT3 looked better than R2, not so sure about COD4 (it got its moments, not all the time) since I haven't seen the more recent R2 build. The thing that I'm concerned with the Insomniac engine has always been lighting (the need for HDR lighting as well as lens flare)/shadowing (not just self-shadowed characters, but self-shadowed environments as well as objects even the ones on the ground) and ground and wall textures (the need for them to be not just higher resolution but actually more natural and gritty as well as more convincing). We'll see, the problem is there hasn't been enough shown, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more footage of the game, not more pre-recorded cutscenes but actual gameplay.

I don't agree with you on Uncharted getting any kind of special treatment, it's just about the most polished single player experience on the system from art to actual gameplay whether it's controls or friend + enemy AI or gameplay scenarios.

That said, what do you think of the new character models for the enemies? The grims in particular look fantastic.

jstevenson said:
Right, but that was over maybe 10 locations and each location had 2-3 levels. We now have full-on region streaming, so we don't have those breaks in the action. The campaign is definitely meaty.

Ah, I see. The cool thing about Resistance 1 is that even though there were 10 locations, each section within that location had a unique look. I'm hoping for the same from Resistance 2. It'll be interesting to see how different the game plays now without having the sections broken up. Some people complained about the way Resistance 1 broke the action up into smaller sections, but I kind of liked it in terms of pacing. In some games it feels like certain levels go on way past their welcome, but R1 gave me just a hint of each location without making me ever feel bored.

Ploid 3.0

Darunia said:

MGS2 looks amazing, ZoE2 is insane, MGS3 omg, FFXII what the crap get in ma belly, GoWII D: D: D: D:. Graphics always make a impression. Even if it's easily possible on another system (crysis current time, Xbox wreckless during last gen).

Kittonwy

Banned
thuway said:
That said, what do you think of the new character models for the enemies? The grims in particular look fantastic.

The grims look good, not sure about the titan or the dudes with shields in terms of whether they're menacing enough. The titan just seems so much smaller now.

Kittonwy said:
The grims look good, not sure about the titan or the dudes with shields in terms of whether they're menacing enough. The titan just seems so much smaller now.

You sure about the Titan? From the Co-Op footage I saw on the net along with the new magazine pictures, he looked bigger than the Titan in R1. And much better designed too

-viper-

Banned
jstevenson said:
How long is the R2 campaign in comparison with the R1 campaign?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
-viper- said:
How long is the R2 campaign in comparison with the R1 campaign?

We were aiming for the same length. It should be similar, perhaps a little shorter or longer. We won't really know until the last few play tests with the close-to-final tuning.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
We were aiming for the same length. It should be similar, perhaps a little shorter or longer. We won't really know until the last few play tests with the close-to-final tuning.

Thats cool with me, Resistance 1 had the right length.

Trevelyan

Banned
Loudninja said:
Thats cool with me, Resistance 1 had the right length.
Definitely. R1's campaign was perfect in length. Been a while since I've played it, but I remember putting about 10-12 on each playthrough. Maybe even more.

FightyF

Banned
Firewire said:
I can't believe someone actually thinks that tutti fruity rainbow colored game looks better than R2! :/

Funny thing is that I have rod on my PS3 and 360 friends list and he's played more games than all the people calling him "troll" combined.

I don't agree with what he said, R2 (and R1 for that matter) is far from a "POS" in terms of graphics. But I'm not going to argue with him after all the forum trolls went after him.

-viper-

Banned
Trevelyan said:
Definitely. R1's campaign was perfect in length. Been a while since I've played it, but I remember putting about 10-12 on each playthrough. Maybe even more.
I think it took me 15-18 hours to complete the single player campaign. I'd prefer a lengthy campaign like the one in R1.

It would be nice if the time spent was displayed within the save file, just like in Devil May Cry 4, Uncharted and MGS4.

Top Bottom