• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Loudninja said:
Thats cool with me, Resistance 1 had the right length.
R1 always felt very long to me, but I think that's a good thing. It felt insanely long the last time I beat it on superhuman, but that was maybe the 8th times I beat it.

Ceb

jstevenson said:
We were aiming for the same length. It should be similar, perhaps a little shorter or longer. We won't really know until the last few play tests with the close-to-final tuning.

Sounds good. I was worried that the surfer girl leak with time estimates to finish the (co-op?) campaign would translate into a significantly shorter game.

Did you ever trace the source of that leak, btw?

-viper-

Banned
BobTheFork said:
R1 always felt very long to me, but I think that's a good thing. It felt insanely long the last time I beat it on superhuman, but that was maybe the 8th times I beat it.
How on earth did you beat it on superhuman? And 8th time on that mode?

I found it quite hard on normal!

Loudninja

BobTheFork said:

Wow 8 times, the most I did was 3 I think. :lol

Justin Dailey said:
I'm still unsure about the shields all over the place. Will there be shields in the SP?

I just hope the shields look different in the final game....they looked a bit weird in the co-op footage i saw online. I think jstevenson mentioned that they would be different.

jmd494

Private Hoffman said:
I just hope the shields look different in the final game....they looked a bit weird in the co-op footage i saw online. I think jstevenson mentioned that they would be different.
I think it'll just be frustrating and game-slowing if every enemy you encounter has a shield. In co-op I realize this encourages flanking...but in SP it could be very frustrating.

-viper- said:

You must be doing something wrong, are you sure you use all your weapons? Once you get used to them, most of them are actually extremely powerful, and the game's kinda turn into a puzzle/strategic game, where using the right tool is more important that doing it with some insane skill. I guess the two weapons limitations will change things in R2, I guess the harder mode will be a lot more challenging because of that, even if the more powerful weapons have very fiew ammo in R1, the fact that you carry 10+ weapons and that the regular guns are reliable AND have tons of ammo turns you into a one man army with tons of deadly weapons to mess around with.

Damn, I want to replay R1 now :lol

-viper- said:
How on earth did you beat it on superhuman? And 8th time on that mode?

To be fair I beat it that many times because after I beat it 3 times my save data got corrupted while I was playing on super human. I beat it 3 more times (last on super human) then again months later, then finally last month on superhuman again.

I really do love R1.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
-viper- said:
I think it took me 15-18 hours to complete the single player campaign. I'd prefer a lengthy campaign like the one in R1.

It would be nice if the time spent was displayed within the save file, just like in Devil May Cry 4, Uncharted and MGS4.

Hmm, on average, RFOM took people 10-12 hours to complete.

jstevenson said:
On normal? It always felt longer on the higher difficulties (which is understandable). My favorite times on R1 were on superhuman, trying to slowly blast my way through a group of intrenched Chimera.

ianp622

jstevenson said:
To fully level all three classes? A LONG time.

I think he meant to reach the end of the story. You don't have to level up all the way to reach the end of the campaign right?

Guled

ianp622 said:
I think he meant to reach the end of the story. You don't have to level up all the way to reach the end of the campaign right?
ya, thats what I ment. How long will the coop story take?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
R1 :FOM had a good length ,so if R2 is gonna have almost the same length ,im a happy guy :D

a couple of odd questions :
1) 'Teds playground' is gonna make it to the retail version ?
2) The Insomniac folks will have some icon or symbol to be recognized ?

Cheers
Sorry for my english :D

-viper-

Banned
jstevenson said:
Well I really have no idea how long it actually took me because there isn't an actual timer, but the SP campaign felt really long.

Then again, I didn't play the SP campaign in one consistent stretch.

rod

Banned
FightyF said:
Funny thing is that I have rod on my PS3 and 360 friends list and he's played more games than all the people calling him "troll" combined.

I don't agree with what he said, R2 (and R1 for that matter) is far from a "POS" in terms of graphics. But I'm not going to argue with him after all the forum trolls went after him.

i know dude. really, i didnt expect many people to agree with me, i know resistance is a touchy subject with a lot of people, but dayem, you cant disagree these days without being called a fucking fanboy! its a joke. i play games. i give impressions on what i see. hey ive liked things that most people consider to be absolute crap. i dont follow the crowd, i just say what i think. its a forum. im still going to buy the game, all i was saying is that i dont find it close to being "the best looking console shooter ever".

that said, im still going to buy the game, so i dont understand why so much hate. and its the same people saying the same shit all the time. i hope its a much better GAME than r1. i remember shawn elliot on either gfw/1up once, talking about R1 and he couldnt have put it better. it was just a very average run of the mill shooter. i really want a much better campaign mode out of R2. i know the multi will be great (main reason im buying it at the moment).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Guled said:
ya, thats what I ment. How long will the coop story take?

Harder to say because it's a modular story and the way the zones are randomized. Suffice to say, it will take a good amount of time to experience every different element that's in there.

ianp622

jstevenson said:
Harder to say because it's a modular story and the way the zones are randomized. Suffice to say, it will take a good amount of time to experience every different element that's in there.

Oh really? I didn't know that. I thought when they said the environment was different each playthrough it meant pieces of scenery were swapped out and such.

rod said:
i know dude. really, i didnt expect many people to agree with me, i know resistance is a touchy subject with a lot of people, but dayem, you cant disagree these days without being called a fucking fanboy! its a joke. i play games. i give impressions on what i see. hey ive liked things that most people consider to be absolute crap. i dont follow the crowd, i just say what i think. its a forum. im still going to buy the game, all i was saying is that i dont find it close to being "the best looking console shooter ever".

Uhm, it's not so much your comments about Resistance not being the best game ever, it's the fact that you listed a lot of games that look average and said R2 looked worse than that.

Not to mention, you went on to call Uncharted average when it's not, and then claimed people who really enjoyed Uncharted were overhyping it.

Resistance was a great game for a launch title, but it wasn't close to being the best FPS. The online play was great fun, largely because it was so smooth and lag free, but it was still chaotic. Resistance 2 looks to improve upon every feature of Resistance 1.

In other words, there's a lot of reasons to be excited for Resistance 2, and frankly the graphics look really great to me.

rod

Banned
hey, uncharted comments-opinion. you thinking that its not overhyped-opinion. its all opinions man! noone is right, im not going to read the uncharted thread and say OH SHIT, I WAS WRONG, it IS goty!! :lol also those games that look average? yeah, opinions...

anyway, its true that R2 does look like its improving (imo thats not too hard) and i dont give a shit about what people call me on a gaming forum o_O blind? idiot? eh, idc, i dont expect anything less...but a 360 fanboy? haha...yeah, that kinda irks me the wrong way. just because it really is a form of saying "oh his opinion is rubbish he must be a microsoft knobjockey". i hate plenty things ms. on my 3rd console and all that...

anyway, this thread is about r2, i was asked to name the games that look better, i didnt want to sidetrack it, just wanted to state my opinion on the games visuals. i wont ever say opinions of a games mechanics until i play it, so all i had to say was about the visuals. i had no idea this was a r2 circle jerk thread, i thought opinions could go both ways. *sigh*

Ploid 3.0

That splicer reminds me of the Chopper/multi-star weapon in ratchet and clank :D They attack multiple times like seen in Ted's Playground.

200px-Chopper.png

I'm sure it's been mentioned before. It's just that I only saw the ted's playground footage on xplay on a small window before. Finally saw a better quality video, and saw the blades arching around after the first hit, just like the multi star.

EktorPR

rod said:
hey, uncharted comments-opinion. you thinking that its not overhyped-opinion. its all opinions man! noone is right, im not going to read the uncharted thread and say OH SHIT, I WAS WRONG, it IS goty!! :lol also those games that look average? yeah, opinions...

anyway, its true that R2 does look like its improving (imo thats not too hard) and i dont give a shit about what people call me on a gaming forum o_O blind? idiot? eh, idc, i dont expect anything less...but a 360 fanboy? haha...yeah, that kinda irks me the wrong way. just because it really is a form of saying "oh his opinion is rubbish he must be a microsoft knobjockey". i hate plenty things ms. on my 3rd console and all that...

anyway, this thread is about r2, i was asked to name the games that look better, i didnt want to sidetrack it, just wanted to state my opinion on the games visuals. i wont ever say opinions of a games mechanics until i play it, so all i had to say was about the visuals. i had no idea this was a r2 circle jerk thread, i thought opinions could go both ways. *sigh*

I hate this "opinions" argument. I mean, we're supposed to have them and have the right to express them, but when things are good, they just plain are. If you don't like them because of a number of reasons (that you should state to make yourself more clear) is another thing altogether, but don't come here saying that Uncharted is "average" when it clearly is not.

Ploid 3.0

This is all that needs to be said and reminded of. R1 brought the goods with a great and long SP, and a spectacular MP game. R2 isn't running purely on hype. R&C:F and Ratchet Quest for Booty show that Insomniac's engine is getting beefier. They know how to make great looking games. Now R2 is almost here with all the above in the quotes, a updated engine, and so on. I'm excited for a reason. Insomniac hasn't failed me yet. They make darn great games.

DrPirate

Banned
rod said:

You're doing a FANTASTIC job of convincing people.

Why didn't you just say you thought they were average, everything is just ok in your opinion and not a single person would have bothered you about it. Games don't click with everyone and this is understandable.

Earlier you asked, what gives people a hard-on for anything sony related. Ever wonder that people actually just might LIKE the universes and characters created? Do you have to be a fanboy to enjoy (or hate anything) for that matter?

Resistance 1 clicked with me in concept and style, but the parallel storyline and the detail in the backstory is what brought me into the Resistance fanboy mode (The timeline on the US site, and the journals on the EU R1 site, I'm a huge history buff and go crazy for this stuff). I thought Uncharted was Indiana Jone + National Treasure + Tomb Raider, and again, being a huge history fanatic, fell in love with it in concept, BEFORE I loved the gameplay and graphics.

You essentially calling everything average is essentially shitting over everyone's taste. As you very well said, there's no right and wrong. State your opinion and leave it at that. My opinion, I like the style, and graphically, I think it looks fantastic.

1-D_FTW

Since there's a lot of arguing about the graphics in this thread, I'm gonna give my opinion (Just purchased PS3 and downloaded the demo): I use to think you guys were all nuts and drunk with the kool-aid.

All the screens and movies I've seen (plus on a friend's DLP) left me unimpressed. But when I downloaded the demo today and played on my beautiful big screen HDTV, I was stunned by how good it actually looks. It's a great looking game. And I've spent most of the past two gens playing on PC. Played Crysis with a good framerate and on Level 4 of the Cuban mod. So I'm not some rube easily impressed. But it just has a great "look" to it that I wasn't expecting. Before today, I just always thought it was generic blah-dom. Seriously wrong.

Now, I'm getting my ass handed to me and can't get past the first checkpoint in Level 1 of the demo (though I was able to skip ahead and beat level 2.) Between the sensitivity being way to high and me not playing a console FPS since Wolfenstein on Xbox, I feel like I'm controlling my character with chopsticks.

1-D_FTW said:
Since there's a lot of arguing about the graphics in this thread, I'm gonna give my opinion (Just purchased PS3 and downloaded the demo): I use to think you guys were all nuts and drunk with the kool-aid.

All the screens and movies I've seen (plus on a friend's DLP) left me unimpressed. But when I downloaded the demo today and played on my beautiful big screen HDTV, I was stunned by how good it actually looks. It's a great looking game. And I've spent most of the past two gens playing on PC. Played Crysis with a good framerate and on Level 4 of the Cuban mod. So I'm not some rube easily impressed. But it just has a great "look" to it that I wasn't expecting. Before today, I just always thought it was generic blah-dom. Seriously wrong.

Now, I'm getting my ass handed to me and can't get past the first checkpoint in Level 1 of the demo (though I was able to skip ahead and beat level 2.) Between the sensitivity being way to high and me not playing a console FPS since Wolfenstein on Xbox, I feel like I'm controlling my character with chopsticks.

Level 2 of that demo is what sold me on the game way back when. It really does have a unique, beautiful style.

senahorse

Private Hoffman said:
Uhm, it's not so much your comments about Resistance not being the best game ever, it's the fact that you listed a lot of games that look average and said R2 looked worse than that.

Not to mention, you went on to call Uncharted average when it's not, and then claimed people who really enjoyed Uncharted were overhyping it.

Resistance was a great game for a launch title, but it wasn't close to being the best FPS. The online play was great fun, largely because it was so smooth and lag free, but it was still chaotic. Resistance 2 looks to improve upon every feature of Resistance 1.

In other words, there's a lot of reasons to be excited for Resistance 2, and frankly the graphics look really great to me.

But the thing is, IT IS average. Visuals aside you have a pretty generic corridor shooter. Starts out as an interesting adventure and degrades into a string of set pieces with average mechanics and controls and then ends with a QTE. Just my opinion of course but I expect much more out of a AAA game than Uncharted managed to deliver.

Insomniac sure delivers and I have a lot of faith in them. But saying that R2 will be great because it's R1.5 is a bit of a stretch, they're sure upgrading a lot of stuff. But there's also tons of stuff that are radically different, and R2 seems to be a very different beast than the first game.

The aiming is different now, when you move you lose accuracy, and you have an iron sight and all, the game is slower. It's like going from Quake to Call of Duty. They've also changed the health system, we had health points back then, now we have a standard cover and recharge system, this will also change a lot of things. Then you can only carry two weapons now, when in the first game you had more than 10. It's not much of an evolution, they're really changing the game.

I'm not saying that R1 is awesome and that R2 will be crap, but as a big fan of the first game, I'm not sure how I'll like all those changes.

thuway

rod said:

sxjfc1.gif

test_account

XP-39C²
x3n05 said:
But the thing is, IT IS average. Visuals aside you have a pretty generic corridor shooter. Starts out as an interesting adventure and degrades into a string of set pieces with average mechanics and controls and then ends with a QTE. Just my opinion of course but I expect much more out of a AAA game than Uncharted managed to deliver.
It was only talk about the visuals though. As rod said in a previous post here:

rod said:

test_account

XP-39C²
x3n05 said:
OK my bad, carry on.
rod said:
no, i was talking game. visuals in uncharted were great. game was average.
I read your earlier post now where you mentioned something about Uncharted, and i now see that you mentioned something about Resistance 1 multiplayer right after that, so in afterthough i thought you might have been talking about the gameplay in Uncharted and not about the graphics in Uncharted in that post.

What you wrote in a later post here where you said you just wanted to state your opinion about the visuals for the games made me think that you maybe ment Uncharted as well since you mentioned "games" and not "game". But in afterthought i see that you mean the gameplay of Uncharted and not the graphics :) I am sorry for the missunderstanding.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
rod said:
no, i was talking game. visuals in uncharted were great. game was average.
Do you really think that Uncharted was average or is it a joke ?
Uncharted is one of the best games ever done. (Im not joking)

DrPirate

Banned
Fersis said:
Do you really think that Uncharted was average or is it a joke ?
Uncharted is one of the best games ever done. (Im not joking)

It doesn't matter because either way, different strokes, different folks and all that.

Offtopic:

CANADIANS: EBGAMES NOW HAS THE R2 BETA FROM THE PREORDERS GOGOGOGO (going and pick mine up Monday :p).

Fersis

DrPirate said:
It doesn't matter because either way, different strokes, different folks and all that.
Yeah ,pretty much.
Just that i love Uncharted :D

Kittonwy

Banned
DrPirate said:

Offtopic:

CANADIANS: EBGAMES NOW HAS THE R2 BETA FROM THE PREORDERS GOGOGOGO (going and pick mine up Monday :p).

You mean they'll have the codes? I go see tomorrow.

DrPirate said:

And it's clearly off topic, if you guys wants to discuss about Uncharted, there are other threads more appropriate.

Fersis

RockmanWhore said:
And it's clearly off topic, if you guys wants to discuss about Uncharted, there are other threads more appropriate.
You are right , also ,its not the thread to talk about Killzone 2 or if COD4 or/and Halo 3 are better than R2.

Lets keep with the awesome thread with awesome hype of an awesome game by an awesome developer.

DrPirate

Banned
Kittonwy said:
You mean they'll have the codes? I go see tomorrow.

At least the EbGames in downtown Ottawa, Corner of Sussex drive and Rideau Street has them. My neighbour got his so I'll go during the week. I'll take a picture of it and everything if it's true.

DrPirate said:
Why didn't you just say you thought they were average, everything is just ok in your opinion and not a single person would have bothered you about it. Games don't click with everyone and this is understandable.

Earlier you asked, what gives people a hard-on for anything sony related. Ever wonder that people actually just might LIKE the universes and characters created? Do you have to be a fanboy to enjoy (or hate anything) for that matter?

*nods*

One of the more annoying traits on GAF are the folks that like to paint a bunch of fans with a wide brush, roll out the usual hackneyed attacks like "overhyped" and "group think", and then in the same breath whine about being jumped on for their "honest dissent". Give me a break already.

Top Bottom