• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

M3Freak

Banned
GTA (Greater Toronto Area) GAFers:

I got a call from the Brampton Queen St & Airport EB today about the R2 beta code. They have them in and I was told to come in to pick it up.

I wager other EBs in the GTA should have them in now too.

Wolffen

makingmusic476 said:
When are beta codes going out for those who pre-ordered?

Yeah, I asked that last page and got no answers.

BlimBlim said:
Second part added. More tomorrow if I'm feeling better and can go back there.

Thanks BlimBlim! Hope you get to feeling better.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Darkpen said:
thanks blimblim.

So I just watched that R2 trailer that was uploaded to PSN yesterday, and omg, the ending gave me shivers! So hyped now :D :D :D

rofl, why does that look like the citadel in HL2?

I've never played HL2. I guess if I had and it looks as similar as you say I'd have probably changed it to avoid the usual "It looks like another game I played" kind of shit.

jett

D-Member
Ken Masters said:
are the environments destructible in this game, because in the first game there was always this life less feeling to the game

It'll at least have destructible cover like R1, which is more than can be said for some other shooters. I don't think they're going for destructability.

Dibbz

Gametrailers doesn't magically make textures look like crap. There's tons of videos of Uncharted, Killzone 2 etc that all look amazing on the same site, using the same video compression.

Also, even in low light conditions you can still make out details, it doesn't wash them away.

Looking back at those Orick shots, why is it that the car has such a strong shadow but there are no highlights on the car at all to show that there is light hitting the object. There must be a strong light source hitting the car in order to have such a deep shadow. Why is it that the cars and the roads don't seem to reflect any light back at all? They just kind of illuminate themselves and absorb any light which should be reflected back.

I'm beginning to wonder how Iceland looks as good as it does looking back at those Orick shots.

Either there's something totally wrong with that Orick level or there's a serious lighting problem.

cameltoe

Dibbz said:
Gametrailers doesn't magically make textures look like crap. There's tons of videos of Uncharted, Killzone 2 etc that all look amazing on the same site, using the same video compression.

Also, even in low light conditions you can still make out details, it doesn't wash them away.

Looking back at those Orick shots, why is it that the car has such a strong shadow but there are no highlights on the car at all to show that there is light hitting the object. There must be a strong light source hitting the car in order to have such a deep shadow. Plus, why is it that the cars and the roads don't seem to reflect any light back at all? They just kind of illuminate themselves and absorb any light which should be reflected back.

I'm beginning to wonder how Iceland looks as good as it does looking back at those Orick shots.

Either there's something totally wrong with that Orick level or there's a serious lighting problem.

OMG please STFU already would ya!

BTW, those new GS vids are amazing!

ypo

The forest scene in this game is just insane. So much details and the lighting is just right. So natural looking.

patsu

Dibbz said:
Looking back at those Orick shots, why is it that the car has such a strong shadow but there are no highlights on the car at all to show that there is light hitting the object. There must be a strong light source hitting the car in order to have such a deep shadow. Why is it that the cars and the roads don't seem to reflect any light back at all

Because you didn't notice them doesn't mean they are not there. I can see reflection on the truck for example.

Also why must garbage reflect light ? These cars have been abandoned for god knows how long. Have you been to a junk yard ?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dibbz said:
Gametrailers doesn't magically make textures look like crap.
You're right, there's nothing magical about it:

unchartedMuddyAndFlat.png

But apparently it's more believable to you that Insomniac reduced the texture detail in R2 much lower than it was in Resistance 1. Or even Ratchet and Clank. On the PS2.

Not low light per se, low contrast. In any case, you're not listening (not surprising at this point). It's not the lighting condition itself that washes out detail in a video feed. It's the combination of low contrast lighting conditions PLUS video compression that does.

mr_nothin

Banned
cameltoe said:
OMG please STFU already would ya!

BTW, those new GS vids are amazing!
He's right for the most part and even BlimBlim (who's actually played the darn game) said that the lighting was a "tad too flat".
We have enough videos from alot of different websites with different compression methods to decide.

Here's hoping that they fix it.
Well not "fix it" per se, but make it better or more noticable.
If not, then it's not a game breaker.

FirewalkR

Unbelievable. Probably the best looking PS3 game when it comes out and people still complain about things they'll never notice while being chased by Chimera.

gbovo

You can really begin to appreciate the foliage and water/lighting in Orick level. They both look really great. The only thing that's lacking is the weapon effects/explosions.

Guled

Just a question, when you register the beta code on the site, it asks for a psn handle. Can I only download/play the beta on that handle or if I get extras can I give them away?

antiloop

FirewalkR said:
Unbelievable. Probably the best looking PS3 game when it comes out and people still complain about things they'll never notice while being chased by Chimera.

The best isn't best enough.

Dibbz said:
Losers always whine.
I agree.

Game looks incredible, massive leap from Resistance Fall of Man. I've always been more of a fan of games that pushed massive amounts of geometry rather than super high resolution textures. I like actual 3D detail.

Guled

he jstevenson, when you register the beta code on the site, it asks for a psn handle. So, can I only download/play the beta on that handle or if I get extras can I give them away?

Kittonwy

Banned
Dibbz said:

Looking back at those Orick shots, why is it that the car has such a strong shadow but there are no highlights on the car at all to show that there is light hitting the object. There must be a strong light source hitting the car in order to have such a deep shadow. Why is it that the cars and the roads don't seem to reflect any light back at all? They just kind of illuminate themselves and absorb any light which should be reflected back.

Indifferent2.gif

*stonecold stunnerz Dibbz*

RAWR2!!!222!!!
Indifferent2.gif

EktorPR

Anyone watched the '1up Show' tonight? No? WATCH IT. Glowing impressions of co-op and much better quality videos of the areas and modes previously shown (omg at the lighting through the fog in the Orick portion of the game :D), not to mention our very first look at one of the game's trophies ("Rampage!").

So pumped for this game right now. :D :D

EktorPR said:
Anyone watched the '1up Show' tonight? No? WATCH IT. Glowing impressions of co-op and much better quality videos of the areas and modes previously shown (omg at the lighting through the fog in the Orick portion of the game :D), not to mention our very first look at one of the game's trophies ("Rampage!").

So pumped for this game right now. :D :D

I enjoyed the show a lot! The reviews were pretty dang good. Can't Wait!!!!!

ezekial45

Banned
I'm getting more excited to play the co-op missions than the multiplayer. It seems like something out of an MMO raid or something.

I haven't played the original Resistance, is it worth picking up?

ezekial45 said:
I'm getting more excited to play the co-op missions than the multiplayer. It seems like something out of an MMO raid or something.

I haven't played the original Resistance, is it worth picking up?

Hell yeah!!!! It has aged quite well and the story is pretty amazing!!!

Blim those videos are incredible the game looks astounding.
I honestly have been trying to avoid this thread because the
complaints about the graphics are just nuts the game looks
so damn smooth and polished.

Great job JS and Insomniac.

From 1up Show, one of the new weapons is called the "Bellock Semi-Automatic."

Any idea what it might be? I can't tell if a name like that would be related to the grenade-launcher looking thing we've seen in the recent videos.

Top Bottom