• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Kittonwy said:
I do think it presents a balancing issue because it's not just a few snipers we might be seeing but a whole TEAM of snipers, maybe that's exactly what the gaf clan is going to resort to when we play R2 MP, that just kills the variety, I like the idea that everybody has their favorite weapon and that I don't have to resort to sniping when I can run around with a bullseye and kill dudes, but if sniping is best I'll end up sniping.
This is just it, variety available but people not using it. If you want variety you have to take advantage of the variety that is there. If sniping is "best" you say? Such a thing only is true if you have convinced yourself of the fact. It's a choice you make, to be good at one thing or the other, or many things overall and just pick whatever the hell you feel like in the moment.

When FPS games started giving people too many outs from straight up dying (because noobs cried about only living 10 seconds and devs listened), it seems everyone became a little bitch and thought living the longest was the whole point, rather than to have fun killing people. Then from that mindset, everyone made up rules in their head about how to play these games. Thing is, none of it really exists, and if you want to forgo such tactics then you can learn how to manage it AND live a long time if you give yourself the patience to figure out how. If everyone picks sniper it's because the players are stupid, not because sniping is dominant.

How much RFOM MP have you played? Or do you just assume people are noobs?
Being a little bitch has nothing to do with being a noob. What I was saying is that snipers are only dominant in games where the players have a history of limiting themselves and thus stand ignorant of all but 3-4 ways to take out a sniper. Sniping has it's time and place, but like anything it can itself be dominated, and not just by a couple cheap tricks.

Private Hoffman said:
Oh, and they should block users from being able to turn 1 hit kills on in the community lobbies. USELESS and destroys the point of weapon balance. EVERY freaking one has that 1 hit kill feature on, too.

I'm glad they sped up the private beta. I played the hell out of RFOM1 and liked it. What's really making the game less chaotic is the real time objective changes.

I did hate that all private lobbies used 1 hit kills though. They almost always had unlimited ammo and grenades too. The game was more of a frag fest in those lobbies.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dice said:
This is just it, variety available but people not using it. If you want variety you have to take advantage of the variety that is there. If sniping is "best" you say? Such a thing only is true if you have convinced yourself of the fact. It's a choice you make, to be good at one thing or the other, or many things overall and just pick whatever the hell you feel like in the moment.

So basically you're arguing for argument's sake. Sniping is easier to get kills in RFOM, that's just the way it is. You can pick a weapon with a shorter range but sniping is more effective, that's just from real experience with the game, it's not that personally I don't use a different weapon.

When FPS games started giving people too many outs from straight up dying (because noobs cried about only living 10 seconds and devs listened), it seems everyone became a little bitch and thought living the longest was the whole point, rather than to have fun killing people. Then from that mindset, everyone made up rules in their head about how to play these games. Thing is, none of it really exists, and if you want to forgo such tactics then you can learn how to manage it AND live a long time if you give yourself the patience to figure out how. If everyone picks sniper it's because the players are stupid, not because sniping is dominant.

Your whole general "deal with it" argument makes me think you've never played RFOM MP much. People try to use many different tactics but then the variety of weapons and the effective range they have makes it possible for these people to use different tactics to KILL people, INCLUDING SNIPERS. Sniping IS dominant in RFOM, not because people are stupid, RFOM has some really, REALLY skilled snipers. The clan has played thousands of RFOM MP games and people are nothing if not creative.

Being a little bitch has nothing to do with being a noob. What I was saying is that snipers are only dominant in games where the players have a history of limiting themselves and thus stand ignorant of all but 3-4 ways to take out a sniper. Sniping has it's time and place, but like anything it can itself be dominated, and not just by a couple cheap tricks.

Again you're simply making a general argument, with nothing that really specifically pertains to Resistance.

FightyF

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
The only way you could get into that private beta is if you had been an active member on the resistance forums or you were an active member in the GAF clan or somewhere else.

I dunno, I saw some players who played 1/3 the MP games I did get in. :p

Private Hoffman said:
They should have allowed a much broader audience be able to give feedback for the final code. Now the game has sped up considerably (something I'm NOT a fan of), and this is what will be placed in the final version seeing as how R2 is going to go gold here in a few weeks.

But some of us Res 1 fans are huge FPS fans in general.

Private Hoffman said:
Part of the reason I couldn't get into Resistance (and hence, never was an active GAF clan member or Resistance forum member), was that I just didn't think the gameplay felt solid at all in R1 mp. It was too chaotic, way too fast, you were always dying with no feedback on what killed you or in what direction to look, nades being thrown constantly everywhere. It was a mess IMHO, and a large reason why is because of how fast it was. It was ridiculous seeing regular soldiers moving that fast.

I did see this, but almost exclusively in custom games. Playing a ranked game was totally different, you didn't see that sort of random chaos, you saw players who knew what they were doing, in either DM or TDM (or any team mode).

I agree about the feedback when dying, but you didn't see too many nades being thrown in larger maps with a larger amount of players in ranked as it's useless to throw a nade into a massive open field, in fact I see more nade spamming in Halo. I think the amount of nades given to players, along with the fact that players don't drop nades IIRC, means a good number of them in a level and not an excessive amount.

I haven't played the beta, but I would think that having a slow character in big huge open fields would be sort of annoying to play. It's like playing Chemical Plant Zone with Mario.

Ok, reading your other posts it's clear that you're just playing custom games here. That's your problem right there.

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
IN GENERAL if your system is a loadout system where you can pick any weapon you choose, you no longer have the ability to limit the number of sniper weapons on the map since everybody can basically loadout with a sniper rifle.

Which is why, as I pointed out and many former private beta members know, other changes were introduced to compensate. Oh, woe is me.

Still, I want to see the what R2 multiplay is like now. I'm all signed up for the open beta, and I am hopeful things are more along the lines GAF R1 clan members have been wanting (well, not just us...).

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
They can do whatever the fuck they want in terms of weapon management in SP to be quite honest.

I happen to like sniping, this actually works in my favor since I no longer have to sit and squat over the damn spawn or wait my turn behind beatbox and sutdawg and BigE, obviously your level design has to change in order to curb the sniping but then people snipe regardless, they don't need specific sniper spots, all it is, is a powered up rifle with a superior scope. I do think it presents a balancing issue because it's not just a few snipers we might be seeing but a whole TEAM of snipers, maybe that's exactly what the gaf clan is going to resort to when we play R2 MP, that just kills the variety, I like the idea that everybody has their favorite weapon and that I don't have to resort to sniping when I can run around with a bullseye and kill dudes, but if sniping is best I'll end up sniping.

The Marksman balances out sniper whores more than any weapon in the original game. In fact, the Marksman is precisely the weapon Resistance multi needed - a long range battle rifle. I always thought tagging people from across the map with the Bullseye in RFOM 1 was cheap and the Carbine had way too much accuracy at long range (without the use of irons sights, which were downright useless in the first game). The races weren't all that 'balanced' in the first game either. I'm happy that the Chimera do not have default rage anymore - it was always terribly unbalanced when a fucking RAGING CHIMERA WHO COULD RUN WHILE SHOOTING with a shotgun would just plow through people.

And it took Insomniac a loooong time to nerf that shotty. But even with the nerfing, a double-barreled blast was just as effective.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
The Marksman balances out sniper whores more than any weapon in the original game. In fact, the Marksman is precisely the weapon Resistance multi needed - a long range battle rifle. I always thought tagging people from across the map with the Bullseye in RFOM 1 was cheap and the Carbine had way too much accuracy at long range. The races weren't all that 'balanced' in the first game either. I'm happy that the Chimera do not have default rage anymore - it was always terribly unbalanced when a fucking RAGING CHIMERA WHO COULD RUN WHILE SHOOTING with a shotgun would just plow through people.

Chimeras haz the advantage because they haz teh bullseye.
angry.gif

You think it's easy to tag someone from across the map?
angry.gif

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
Chimeras haz the advantage because they haz teh bullseye.
angry.gif

You think it's easy to tag someone from across the map?
angry.gif

It was way too easy to tag people from a distance, especially when the Chimera always looked like they were shooting at the air! LOL

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
It was way too easy to tag people from a distance, especially when the Chimera always looked like they were shooting at the air! LOL

When they're shooting at the air, it means they've already tagged you, once you've tag someone you don't want to be shooting at them, you want to give your shots enough clearance over any cover the other guy would seek.
Indifferent2.gif

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Private Hoffman said:
Oh, and they should block users from being able to turn 1 hit kills on in the community lobbies. USELESS and destroys the point of weapon balance. EVERY freaking one has that 1 hit kill feature on, too.

:D

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
When they're shooting at the air, it means they've already tagged you, once you've tag someone you don't want to be shooting at them, you want to give your shots enough clearance over any cover the other guy would seek.
Indifferent2.gif

What about when they come up out of a vent and aren't even aiming at you but get the tag? That's mostly what I am talking about.

BTW, I agree with a lot of your criticisms but not as far as balanced is concerned. I found the beta to be very, very balanced. Maybe one of the more balanced games of MP I've ever played.

jstevenson said:

Glad to hear that feature is gone. :D

Now we can have a good community lobby system as well as ranked games.

Sometimes I just wanted to hop in a quick game without it being ranked, but they were ALWAYS 1-hit kills.

JB1981 said:
The Marksman balances out sniper whores more than any weapon in the original game. In fact, the Marksman is precisely the weapon Resistance multi needed - a long range battle rifle. I always thought tagging people from across the map with the Bullseye in RFOM 1 was cheap and the Carbine had way too much accuracy at long range (without the use of irons sights, which were downright useless in the first game). The races weren't all that 'balanced' in the first game either. I'm happy that the Chimera do not have default rage anymore - it was always terribly unbalanced when a fucking RAGING CHIMERA WHO COULD RUN WHILE SHOOTING with a shotgun would just plow through people.

And it took Insomniac a loooong time to nerf that shotty. But even with the nerfing, a double-barreled blast was just as effective.

Awesome impressions of the marksman. I loved the Halo 3 battle rifle, and felt that a long ranger weapon (not a sniper) was needed for the multiplayer.

FightyF said:
:lol

Since you like macros so much:

Wah wah, someone's opinion you don't like, and secondly you misconstrue, sheeesh.

Wwhhhhaaaahaaa?! Really? That's nuts!

Holy crap Sony dropped the ball this year...another beta I didn't get access to. *shakes head*

j/k

Seriously, that was like...........so yesterday.

I'm over it and I am so friggin Mega Ultra Jacked Hyped for this game. I am going to pay the CE off tomorrow!!!!!!!

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
wow, uh ok. I never said it would be good if they fix everything. It's a BETA, I said I like where had gone and once they put in the inevitable work they still had left to do it would be even better. Everyone acted like everything they saw set in stone and final. I brought up the grenades because I would ask all of you 'why do you think the entire games sucks' and the only answer I got back was the grenades are nerfed FAIL!!! I don't like the aiming FAIL. My point about R1 people holding back R2 was that the only reason people who played r1 bitched about the beta was because R2 wasn't enough like R1 and I don't think it should be.
I said it was TITs because I really like it and I think R2 will be great if they continue to polish and work some on what they had. I also don't think 'We want BETTER aiming' is very helpful either.
"what's wrong?"
the accuracy is bad!!!!
"what should we do?"
make is better

I don't know man, I liked it and I feel like I've had to apologize for that opinion to everyone in the clan. I guess I'd rather not ever bring it up again.

No need to apologize man, especially to me. I understand what you're saying.

I don't know how everyone else took it, but I was just shocked IG took R2 in the direction they had (in the private beta). I wasn't expecting many of the changes that were in the private beta because I expected the core Resistance game play to be the same. But it wasn't...and you know the rest.

(I'm not saying the above is the case anymore)

I enjoyed the Beta. Skirmish Mode was fantastic. If the speed and a few other issues get solved this game will be Ace! Everything points to those issues being fixed in the lasted build so I think I will be very happy!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I swear if the beta starts before Sony gets me my PS3 back I will wreck them considering when I sent it in last time they made it worse.

SumGamer

Private Hoffman said:
So early October happens this week. R2 beta coming?

Yeah, it's been two months since the beta invitation was included in Qore. This BS must end this week.

Not to mention that episode of Qore sucks and I only subscribe for R2 beta alone =(.

cjtiger300 said:
I still haven't got my email from GS so I would say at the very best, Friday. Hopefully sooner!!!!!!!!!!
Go you your Gamestop and get the codes in physical form don't know if Gamestop's sending out the code's via e-mail.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
After listening to 1up FM, does anyone else think that the North Carolina studio is doing 360 games? I'm just saying. You can quote me in a year!

Also I am going to preorder Resistance 2 tomorrow!

Y2Kev said:
After listening to 1up FM, does anyone else think that the North Carolina studio is doing 360 games? I'm just saying. You can quote me in a year!

lol...no, what gave you that idea?

I just think it's them expanding because, well, 1 game per year isn't enough for them! I'm not sure exactly how their relationship with Sony is, but it's a pretty damn good one...plus, Sony owns the IPs that Insomniac makes. Sony probably wrote Ted a fat check to build a new studio because of how damn reliable they are in terms of releasing games. That's a rare thing in this industry.

Aeon712

Y2Kev said:

I didn't listen to the interview but that is what I figured the new Studio would be doing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Y2Kev said:

What makes you think that?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Aeon712 said:
I didn't listen to the interview but that is what I figured the new Studio would be doing.

I was thinking they would be making downladable games.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Aeon712 said:
I was thinking that they could be doing :
1- PSN only games.
2- New IP (PS3 Exclusive)

and of course the obligatory : Please Insomniac ,keep making PS3/PSN exclusives games ,pleeeeeeeaaaaaase !! :D
I assume that SCE knows the importance of Insomniac ...

Cirekiller said:
Go you your Gamestop and get the codes in physical form don't know if Gamestop's sending out the code's via e-mail.

I already have the voucher, but you have to register the code and they send you one a few days before the beta starts.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
cjtiger300 said:
I already have the voucher, but you have to register the code and they send you one a few days before the beta starts.
So when the beta starts ? :D

I would assume that if they NC studio was gonna start 360 development, it'd be a little larger since Insomniac has no previous experience developing for the platform. Isn't it a smaller studio aimed at making smaller projects?

I guess we'll find out when they open up next year and they give me a job. :3

Chris_C

Private Hoffman said:
lol...no, what gave you that idea?

I just think it's them expanding because, well, 1 game per year isn't enough for them! I'm not sure exactly how their relationship with Sony is, but it's a pretty damn good one...plus, Sony owns the IPs that Insomniac makes. Sony probably wrote Ted a fat check to build a new studio because of how damn reliable they are in terms of releasing games. That's a rare thing in this industry.

NeoGAF, from speculation to fact in the space of two sentences.

EDIT: What does their proximity to Epic have to do with them making 360 games?

KZObsessed

Ted Price said that the new studio will make PS3 games:

Ted Price said:
Although the North Carolina studio will have a team of about 30, Price said they will be able to create PS3 games on their own.

"Traditionally, we've had more than 30 people working on a title, but over the past few years we've learned a lot about product management and how to create more effective and more efficient pipelines," said Price. "We have a good handle on the PlayStation 3 technology. The tools and technology we've developed over the last couple of years have enabled us to develop AAA games with smaller teams."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/insomniac-to-open-studio-in-north-carolina

Fersis

jstevenson said:
Which would make sense because the engine/tools will still be developed in Burbank.
Yeah,good news :D
I was fearing that you guys would become multi platform.
(Well, at least not SONY platforms)

Any word on the public BETA ?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
jstevenson said:

Awesome news! I used to hop on to resistance, and I would just wanna play a custom game, but would spend so much time sifting through trying to find a game without that stupid option. You should've made a filter option to filter that out.

jstevenson said:
Which would make sense because the engine/tools will still be developed in Burbank. ;)

No 360 games from North Carolina. We are still PS3 exclusive.

Awesome news:D

patsu

jstevenson said:
Which would make sense because the engine/tools will still be developed in Burbank. ;)

No 360 games from North Carolina. We are still PS3 exclusive.

Good move to stamp out bad rumors fast.

Top Bottom