• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Wolffen

RoboPlato said:
DVDs can store HD data, just not as much.

I hope that's true, otherwise the bonus DVD will be full of SD fail, just like Bungie's "HD" extras DVD in the Halo 3 special edition. =/

God, I hope emails for the beta start going out tomorrow.

Ploid 3.0

The reason I thought it couldn't is the encoding in dvds. I wonder if the disk will play on standard dvd players, or if that HD trailer will just be unplayable if it's in a different format. It don't even matter actually.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ploid 3.0 said:
The reason I thought it couldn't is the encoding in dvds. I wonder if the disk will play on standard dvd players, or if that HD trailer will just be unplayable if it's in a different format. It don't even matter actually.

Do you whonder?

Ploid 3.0

jstevenson said:
Do you whonder?

Nah, I'm sure it will. Dvd's and blu rays are still magic to me. The fact they can play HD is good news that I'm late on hearing about. I'm not that into computers and the guts on how things work.

jstevenson said:
Do you whonder?

Surprise Blu Ray bonus pack in? One can only hope!

Making my Daily super mega jacked hype post!!!!!!!!! I can't friggin wait much longer!!!!!!!! Give me the Beta before I go insane!!!!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wolffen said:
I hope that's true, otherwise the bonus DVD will be full of SD fail, just like Bungie's "HD" extras DVD in the Halo 3 special edition. =/

God, I hope emails for the beta start going out tomorrow.
The Legendary edition came with two discs. One was a DVD video while the other was an actual XBOX360 game disc (with HD footage on it). Was that not the case with the special edition?

DVDs can store HD data, just not as much.
Yes, the discs can indeed store any sort of data you'd like. The DVD video format used by actual players, however, is not capable of decoding any sort of HD material.

Fady K

This years been crazy with me for FPS games. Im eager to play Bioshock again on the PS3, Resistance 2 is so so good from what I tried and im there day one, Killzone 2 is crazy, and i cant wait to return to the world of FEAR in Project Origin. So many quality shooters.

davygee

Banned
There's people on here moaning about the lighting used in R2, which ranges from the amazing to the mediocre in some peoples eyes.

Well, as far as I can see, most if not all games suffer from the same problem. With dynamic shadows and self shadowing to pre-baked down to just plain no shadow at all.

Well looking at some of the Gears 2 videos and it looks like this wonderful game suffers from the same problem. It seems that only the characters have shadows and the environment doesn't have any.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
davygee said:
There's people on here moaning about the lighting used in R2, which ranges from the amazing to the mediocre in some peoples eyes.

Well, as far as I can see, most if not all games suffer from the same problem. With dynamic shadows and self shadowing to pre-baked down to just plain no shadow at all.

Well looking at some of the Gears 2 videos and it looks like this wonderful game suffers from the same problem. It seems that only the characters have shadows and the environment doesn't have any.

mhmhm yeah we already discussed the lighting thing ,now is a happy thread :D
Were waiting to the public BETA so no more 'self shadowing bricks and grass' and no more 'stunnerz' :D

EDIT: Lets make a happy thread.

Wolffen

dark10x said:
The Legendary edition came with two discs. One was a DVD video while the other was an actual XBOX360 game disc (with HD footage on it). Was that not the case with the special edition?

Yeah, I meant the Legendary Edition bonus DVD, which Bungie originally said would have "HD versions of remastered Halo 1 and Halo 2 cutscenes" and an "HD" version of the Beastarium. Needless to say, the extras disc was not in HD.

Yes, the discs can indeed store any sort of data you'd like. The DVD video format used by actual players, however, is not capable of decoding any sort of HD material.

That's what I thought.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dark10x said:
Ah, I didn't realize that. Sorry for the confusion then.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So.. hum... no news on the Public Beta date ?

davygee said:

But Gears 2 looks fucking incredible and everyone and their mom was saying Resistance 2 looked like a PS2 game.

/Snoopers

Yeah, Gears does suffer from some similar issues. It's nowhere near perfect and its environment lighting model is pretty flat. In fact, in terms of graphical leaps, the leap from R1 to R2 is much greater than the leap from G1 to G2. I just don't see how people can isolate one area to harp on without looking at the bigger picture. Gears 2 has a certain style going for it, and it looks good. Resistance 2 has a different style going for it, and it looks good too.

Private Hoffman said:
But Gears 2 looks fucking incredible and everyone and their mom was saying Resistance 2 looked like a PS2 game.

/Snoopers

Yeah, Gears does suffer from some similar issues. It's nowhere near perfect and its environment lighting model is pretty flat. In fact, in terms of graphical leaps, the leap from R1 to R2 is much greater than the leap from G1 to G2. I just don't see how people can isolate one area to harp on without looking at the bigger picture. Gears 2 has a certain style going for it, and it looks good. Resistance 2 has a different style going for it, and it looks good too.

gears has always been flashy, its really detailed textures are eye catching. Geometry wise R2 is probably pushing more but the textures are still less detailed. Personally I think it looks as good in its own way,

Dante said:
BTW Jstevenson, Is the R2 History video released on PSN last week gonna be on the R2 disc at a better compression? The PSN one seems to have some artifacts from compression.
While you're waiting for the bonus disc, you can download the version on the UK PSN store. It has a bitrate three times higher and looks a lot better than the US version.

Ploid 3.0

davygee said:

R2 is in a bad position. It's a ps3 exclusive and has the weight of the whole galaxy on it's shoulders. It's microscope timez, amirite.

DeadGzuz

Banned
davygee said:

Some rumors suggesting that Gear2 effects have been getting cut before release.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1222352&postcount=477

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Ploid 3.0 said:
What the crap I was expecting to see video. :( Man I should have bought qore. Preordering is out of the question for me, I need it day one. I refuse to get overrun then discouraged this Resistance.
They do show some footage but still the guy the sent to cover the game sounded like if he didn't want to be doing what he was sent to do. Everything he said sounded boring as hell, the main guy was asking him all the questions and the guy just answered like if he was bored out of his mind.

Elbrain said:
They do show some footage but still the guy the sent to cover the game sounded like if he didn't want to be doing what he was sent to do. Everything he said sounded boring as hell, the main guy was asking him all the questions and the guy just answered like if he was bored out of his mind.

Yeah, that was a pretty bad segment. The guy even admitted that this isn't his type of game, so why he went to the event is questionable. Plus he didn't even seem to have any facts (facts that have been confirmed for some time) and was just acting very non-committal. I think that most people following this thread could avoid this segment and not lose out on any information.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
the_prime_mover said:
Yeah, that was a pretty bad segment. The guy even admitted that this isn't his type of game, so why he went to the event is questionable. Plus he didn't even seem to have any facts (facts that have been confirmed for some time) and was just acting very non-committal. I think that most people following this thread could avoid this segment and not lose out on any information.
That is what pissed me of the most, shit if you are sending someone to cover a game make fucking sure they at least know WTF they are talking about.

Fersis

dagZ said:
sorry if this is a stupid question, but when the beta open for qore people?
Not a stupid question, Insomniac Games has not announced the date of the Public BETA.
They only said , 'early october' maybe when Socom BETA ends ?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Fersis said:
Not a stupid question, Insomniac Games has not announced the date of the Public BETA.
They only said , 'early october' maybe when Socom BETA ends ?
They will probably announce it tomorrow going along with their Fullmoon Podcast.

Fersis

Elbrain said:
They will probably announce it tomorrow going along with their Fullmoon Podcast.
That would be nice, because IF im in the beta i could play all the weekend !:lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Proelite said:
Damn. I never knew you could sprint in R1. Could've saved me some replays.

Mind blown honestly !, never knew that myself and I must of completed the game about a dozen times now, guess I should read the instructions in the future, I tend to normally just jump in though and learn the controls as I go.

Fersis

lowrider007 said:
Mind blown honestly !, never knew that myself and I must of completed the game about a dozen times now, guess I should read the instructions in the future, I tend to normally just jump in though and learn the controls as I go.
You can sprint only in MP NOT in the SP campaign.

Kittonwy

Banned
BuddyC said:
Yeah, you can sprint in campaign now.

I like that. I'm always runnin, even in real life, always runnin.
Indifferent2.gif

Fersis

So anyone of you guys are in the public BETA?
I have a small chance to get in :D

Fersis

mhm i think that i can get an extra code.
JStevenson if you want the code to play the BETA send me a PM. :lol

Septimus

Fersis said:
mhm i think that i can get an extra code.
JStevenson if you want the code to play the BETA send me a PM. :lol
If you can get one, can I get dibbs on it? The Canadian EB Games fail hard.

Got an email from PSU inviting me to apply for the beta...
...I got excited for a moment thinking I was already accepted.
Blah.
The waiting game continues.

Top Bottom