• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

jjasper

Metalmurphy said:
That one is awful. The bridge alone with the spaceships would have been so much better.

I don't see why people keep saying that. The bridge and spaceships would mean nothing to to a random person just browsing. It could have been the collectors edition box (not seen because of the outer package) but not one on a store shelf.

Ceb said:
Before someone quotes your tag, I have to add that I'm not really fond of that one either. It was a weird paint effect to it and due to the bridge in the background and the perspective, the Chimera coming out of the water look like giants and more goofy than scary.

It looks like they're trying to copy Halo 3's box art, which also had a similar paint effect and just looked terrible.

Can't believe they decided to go with this.

jjasper said:
I don't see why people keep saying that. The bridge and spaceships would mean nothing to to a random person just browsing. It could have been the collectors edition box (not seen because of the outer package) but not one on a store shelf.

To the random person looking at a boxart, Resistance 2 looks like a sub-par, third rate shooter based solely upon the box. It looks ridiculously cheesy, low quality, and generic.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Private Hoffman said:
It looks like they're trying to copy Halo 3's box art, which also had a similar paint effect and just looked terrible.

To the random person looking at a boxart, Resistance 2 looks like a sub-par, third rate shooter based solely upon the box. It looks ridiculously cheesy, low quality, and generic.

Maybe that's why they decided to go with it.

jjasper

Private Hoffman said:

But they know its a shooter!

Edit: I do agree that Hale should be in a different position.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dever said:
I like the backround, but I'm not really liking Hale and the Chimeras. Imo they should keep the backround, but have Hale looking the other way around. Also remove the chimeras. Essentially it would be Hale watching the Chimeran ships tearing the bridge to pieces, helpless to do anything about it. I thought they were going for a sense of desparation in the game, so it would reflect that I guess.

Here's a quick sketch! Your eyes have been warned.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ai3eb8.jpg

Yeah I'm bored.

Perfect If Hale's body was facing us, and he's looking back at the Chimeran invasion, witht the glowing eyes:D

h3ro

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Perfect If Hale's body was facing us, and he's looking back at the Chimeran invasion, witht the glowing eyes:D

It'd be even better if he was looking back at us with the same smirk as the "You Go" Indian guy... That would be epic...

thuway

Private Hoffman said:

I think it looks pretty decent. I don't understand the complaining, Insomniac obviously had a reason to go with this choice.

Wollan

Not that I ultimately care that much..
But I'm not a big fan of either of the cover arts. The R2 logo shouldn't have that black silhouette behind it, looks like it's a sticker or a cut-out from another image. Don't quite like that Nathan portrayal either, a lack of detail and maybe a bit too standard angry soldier?
I find it surprising though because R1 & R&C had two of the very best covers this gen. R2 is probably Insomniacs biggest game this gen considering the software and the time of release, would have been nice to have a spectacular cover to go alongside it.
Ultimately I don't care too much though.

Wollan said:
Not that I ultimately care that much..
But I'm not a big fan of either of the cover arts. The R2 logo shouldn't have that black silhouette behind it, looks like it's a sticker or a cut-out from another image. Don't quite like that Nathan portrayal either, a lack of detail and maybe a bit too standard angry soldier?
I find it surprising though because R1 & R&C had two of the very best covers this gen. R2 is probably Insomniacs biggest game this gen considering the software and the time of release, would have been nice to have a spectacular cover to go alongside it.
Ultimately I don't care too much though.

R&CF:TOD and Resistance:FoM both have awesome, awesome covers.

This is the biggest downgrade I've ever seen for a company. A really big disappointment, IMHO.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, but you have to question who thought this was a good idea.

jjasper said:
regular edition box art:

51sGypx5HvL._SS400_.jpg

HOLY CAMEL SHIT!

That is the most generic looking boxart ever, wtf is up Nathan Hale? why is he glowing? Why does he look like he came from a late 90s PC game? What's with the floating Chimera and Why is there no color on the box, I thought R2 was pushing for Color.

Slap the guy that made this and slap whoever let this pass through.

btkadams

wow @ all the complaining about the covers. if anything you're proably going to only see the spines in your collection. who cares what the case looks like

Ceb

Private Hoffman said:
Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, but you have to question who thought this was a good idea.

Some marketing dude who wanted to "Gears of War" the cover for added sales.

Perhaps the worst thing about it is Hale's empty stare. Only the most hardcore of fans who know the plot outline will get that he's not entirely human - the rest of the prospective buyers will simply see even more "generic soldier" than what's really there.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I want the CE cover in poster form, is that going to be possible in anyway ?, are there any super hi-res images of the CE cover anywhere ? PM me if someone has a link please.

EDIT -

I just thought, If I can get hold of a hi-res image of the CE cover I could get a Giclee print done of it, that would look awesome.

Rapping Granny said:
HOLY CAMEL SHIT!

That is the most generic looking boxart ever, wtf is up Nathan Hale? why is he glowing? Why does he look like he came from a late 90s PC game? What's with the floating Chimera and Why is there no color on the box, I thought R2 was pushing for Color.

Slap the guy that made this and slap whoever let this pass through.

The logo at the top of the box art is laughable too.

They couldn't have tried to center it more or put it in a position where it's not so close to the top PSN logo bar? :lol

Looks like an amateur did it.

DrPirate

Banned
Who cares, Jstevenson himself said there was gonna be alternate downloads for the covers.

I hope that infamous "option 4" from the beginning of this thread shows up there. That boxart was tight as hell.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
dont get too defensive people, i dont think anybody critisizing the cover art is Not gonna buy the here. i just drop $80 on this pitbull with lipstick, i just think the game needs to look like the big deal that it is.

Nooreo

Dever said:
I like the backround, but I'm not really liking Hale and the Chimeras. Imo they should keep the backround, but have Hale looking the other way around. Also remove the chimeras. Essentially it would be Hale watching the Chimeran ships tearing the bridge to pieces, helpless to do anything about it. I thought they were going for a sense of desparation in the game, so it would reflect that I guess.

Here's a quick sketch! Your eyes have been warned.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ai3eb8.jpg

Yeah I'm bored.
SPLASH?!!!

Hype +100

Terrible terrible cover but to be honest I don't care. Games sit in a cupboard under my tv out of sight so it could have a naked women on the front...........what are we discussing again?

thuway said:
I've said this before, but I'll say it again: This is fucking Insomniac. When have they ever let us down?

Well this is the first time I've been let down by one of their covers.

R2 will probably be the best game they've ever made, but it's a shame it has such a shitty cover! Especially since their previous PS3 games had AWESOME covers.

But I'm sure some clueless suit, jeff bell looking fellow was responsible for this mess.

Kagari said:
Just get the collector's edition if you don't like the standard edition cover...

Maybe that's their intention!

I don't buy CE's though. Standard version for me. I'll make my own cover or something from the official artwork that gets released.

thuway

Private Hoffman said:
Maybe that's their intention!

I don't buy CE's though. Standard version for me. I'll make my own cover or something from the official artwork that gets released.
How can you pass on that delicious figure, artbook, and hard cover box? You know you want it :D .

thuway said:
How can you pass on that delicious figure, artbook, and hard cover box? You know you want it :D .

I've got too many games this fall that I plan to buy, can't really afford to be spending $20 on things I don't really need.

The CE is cool though, no doubt.

jett

D-Member
Linkzg said:
That looks really bad. Is this confirmed to be real? I sure hope not.

The more I look at it, the more I dislike it. Especially the logo, which looks completely out of place. I don't know who put that shit together, but certainly not a graphic designer. At least not a talented one.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Guled said:
maybe they made the cover bad so people might be more willing to get the LE :lol

Now, by no means was this our strategy --- we wanted you guys to vote on the LE cover cause the fans should pick it --- but as a gamer, I ALWAYS want the LE cover to be different, and in that case, I'd always want the LE cover to be the better of the two.

You can sometimes do it differently (I liked the Bioshock LE cover a lot) -- but anyways, just sayin, it'd be annoying to your most hardcore fans if the LE cover was worse than the regular edition cover, amirite?

again - this has nothing to do with our situation as you could've picked the Regular cover as the LE cover in the vote... I'm just sayin in general.

acevans2

I gotta agree that the box is pretty blah. It doesn't matter a lot to me, but I'm just saying, there was potential to have it look way better.

And for the record, I wasn't in love with the collector's edition either. Resistance 1 had a pretty unique and appealing boxart though.

No doubt that the LE cover is better, and it is actually pretty great, but that doesn't mean that the standard edition should be this bad looking.

dagZ

So I just signed up for the public beta, but people keep saying I'll get a email. When should I be getting one?

urge26

I'd love to get into the public beta, that way I could be the LE at Amazon and not Gamestop.... regular cover looks beyond shitty.

Top Bottom