• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

WTFing

Banned
resistance_fall_of_man.jpg
51sGypx5HvL._SS400_.jpg

WTF happened?
I am buying it anyway.

Guled

jstevenson said:
Now, by no means was this our strategy --- we wanted you guys to vote on the LE cover cause the fans should pick it --- but as a gamer, I ALWAYS want the LE cover to be different, and in that case, I'd always want the LE cover to be the better of the two.

You can sometimes do it differently (I liked the Bioshock LE cover a lot) -- but anyways, just sayin, it'd be annoying to your most hardcore fans if the LE cover was worse than the regular edition cover, amirite?

again - this has nothing to do with our situation as you could've picked the Regular cover as the LE cover in the vote... I'm just sayin in general.
Don't worry, I was just joking. I know you guys wouldn't do something like that. Its nice that you gave us a choice for the LE, the one that won looks ace. But its not the LE cover thats the problem here, but the RE cover could of been better. But it doesn't really matter that much, it not like something that you'll look at for more then a couple of mins anyways

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Bugnology said:
resistance_fall_of_man.jpg
51sGypx5HvL._SS400_.jpg

WTF happened?
I am buying it anyway.

This was already discussed in the old thread, apparently they wanted a change in direction with the cover, I know there's quite a few people on here that are not that enamoured with standard cover art, personally I'm not a great fan of it myself but I'll be getting the CE anyway, but I do think it's a 'safe' vibrant cover that explains exactly what the game is about and will appeal to the average (non-forumite/geek) gamer, the type of gamer that chooses games based on cover art and synopsis alone, the gamer that are going to earn Insomniac a wad of £$£$, RFoM was a fantastic game but it hit more of a niche market, you can see with R2 they are going all out on PR on this one aiming it towards as broad an audience as possible, it makes good business sense, if your really into the game and you feel that strongly about it then they've provided what looks like to be an excellent CE of the game aimed more towards the hardcore fanbase.

GrayFoxPL

pack.1.jpg

Just to rub it in. :D

jstevenson said:
oh if covers could tell stories...

Some corporate asshole came on forced Insomaniac to do this, right?

Or a 9 year old son of some big fish made a sketch that just had to be the cover, huh?

You are too soft for them.

Usually I don't care about covers, but great game deserve great cover. First impression and all that.

This is bad, this is close to something Midas would do.

Oh and people don't mix "cover bitching" with "game bitching", ok?

I loved R1 and I'm pretty sure I love R2. What am I speculating for? I've fallen in love in it as soon as I saw Magnum revolver :lol.

Wollan

Kuroyume said:
Has anyone who signed up for the beta through the beta page gotten in yet?
Those people will gain access in early October, you will probably not receive a reclaim-key before a couple of weeks.

Lince

Banned
hi there guys I just got home from my summer nightmare (car accident) and I've just seen I got invited in late August into the private beta test for R2, unfortunately I never visited the official PlayStation forums before (I just post here you know) so it seems I can't get into the private forums and get the beta to download and all, any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance and saludos and holas to all my friends here.

GrayFoxPL

RoboPlato said:
I never noticed it said die instead of diner on the Chimera side before.

O shit. You're right.

Btw. I can't wait to see what new weapons (unlockable again please!) are in.

Ploid 3.0

Posted in the gamestop managers conference thread.

daegan said:
The R2 video was DAMN inducing and involved a lot of Ted Price almost dying XD (hey Insomniac guys, and any other devs who had their people out there, know that a lot of us really really REALLY appreciate you guys coming out. thank you so much :eek:)

thuway said:
MORE PLEASE!!!! How were the graphics? What did the level look like? What made it "inducing"?

This post = TOTAL WIN.

thuway: sorry, i typed that crazy. like "damn!" inducing, it induces one to say damn.

very different pace as compared to standard Resistance. the level occurs in a bog-ish forest with lots of jumping out, cloaked enemies, as opposed to wave after wave after wave. the up-close AI (i forget the word Price used) is a really cool concept when lent to an enemy like these. pretty freaky stuff. everything blows up really nice and it's up there with the best looking stuff so far but I wouldn't put it head and shoulders above anything. i haven't been following r2 closely so i don't know if the weapons were new or anything.

thuway said:
:-O. Epic. Epic. EPIC. If you were to compare the game graphically (in its rough state, Mr. Stevenson has said the polish hasn't been fully implemented yet), what would you compare it to? How would you say it looked compared to Gears?

Also, what is the MSRP for the Street Fighter IV pads? Did they look anything like the ones that were released on the Anniversary collection?

I'd compare it to a CoD4 or 5. Looks less plastic-y than GoW; the lighting looks more organic to me as well. (keep in mind tho i PLAYED GoW2 and just WATCHED R2) not necessarily BETTER, but I liked it visually more.

GrayFoxPL said:
pack.1.jpg

Just to rub it in. :D

I like the CE cover a lot more, too. But come on guys, do you play the game or play the cover? All of my cases get stacked into a hidden drawer under the TV only to see the light of day when discs are changing, do you guys mount them on your walls or something?

btkadams

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I like the CE cover a lot more, too. But come on guys, do you play the game or play the cover? All of my cases get stacked into a hidden drawer under the TV only to see the light of day when discs are changing, do you guys mount them on your walls or something?
apparently, 95% of the people in this thread do.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
btkadams said:
apparently, 95% of the people in this thread do.

and in that case, they can download the high-res of the cover they like (out of several choices), get a nice printer to print it out :)

This message brought to you by the fund to preserve Bryan Intihar's sanity.

womfalcs3

Banned
jstevenson said:
and in that case, they can download the high-res of the cover they like (out of several choices), get a nice printer to print it out :)

This message brought to you by the fund for Bryan Intihar's sanity.

:lol I like how you keep re-iterating that.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
jstevenson said:

This message brought to you by the fund to preserver Bryan Intihar's sanity

:lol please tell me he's on the next podcast talking about this

andycapps

jstevenson said:

:lol :lol I bet this has you guys laughing/screaming like crazy at some of the posts here. But anyway, I will be getting the CE, but I really don't get the hate over the covers. The people here are apparently the gamers that care tons about how original the art is and will look at it for years to come. The other 99% of your purchasing audience will hear that it's a great game and look at the cover and think it looks pretty cool, and pick it up.

End of story.

The Jer

ScrabbleBanshee said:
The box is fricken important to me.
I bought the disced version of Warhawk over the downloadable one, because I wanted the box.
I'm ridiculously picky about having things look presentable, organized and nice.
and it makes a big difference when I'm paying $50+ for something. I want it to look good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Jer said:
The box is fricken important to me.
I bought the disced version of Warhawk over the downloadable one, because I wanted the box.
I'm ridiculously picky about having things look presentable, organized and nice.
and it makes a big difference when I'm paying $50+ for something. I want it to look good.
Print out one of the alternate covers then. Why do people keep arguing over this? The only ones that really care are the ones that would be willing to take to time to print out another cover anyway. You know we're on a drought for info when the box art becomes the only point of debate.

Firewire

Banned
I'm getting the CE! Game of the awesome deserves the extra cash involved! It will be displayed in my game room right next to the CE for MGS4 and all the other CE's I have.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You know what would be awesome? A Chimera sackboy kind of like this guy.
DSCF5662.jpg

Just add some hoses, eyes, teeth, and there it is.

lupinko

jstevenson said:

Do these lack the Only on PlayStation/PlayStation Network things?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Dante said:
You're a tease :p

BTW when are we gonna get some new screens? It's time to get this hype train in full effect! November isn't too far off now!

Let's see --- there is a cover story in PTOM coming very soon with new screens, and then we're doing a couple events soon and assets should be out soon too.

Also a couple other things in the works that should be cool too

andycapps

jstevenson said:
Let's see --- there is a cover story in PTOM coming very soon with new screens, and then we're doing a couple events soon and assets should be out soon too.

Resistance themed LBP levels confirmed! :lol :lol

jstevenson said:

Is this the same issue that you were talking about previously as having single player screenshots that you said would impress?

M3Freak

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
HOLY CAMEL SHIT!

That is the most generic looking boxart ever, wtf is up Nathan Hale? why is he glowing? Why does he look like he came from a late 90s PC game? What's with the floating Chimera and Why is there no color on the box, I thought R2 was pushing for Color.

Slap the guy that made this and slap whoever let this pass through.

Ya, cover looks like total ass. Fucken hell...I'm not surprised though (re: I'm in the private beta).

You guys do realize the cover is really a "Dramatic Nathan Hale", right? That pic was taken right after he turned around and THAT is why his expression is kina like "What!!!!":lol

h3ro

jstevenson said:

JS, is there any way we could get some of the high res art files of the different locales in R2 that we've seen around in magazines and shows, etc? (Like the art used in the R2 theme wallpaper on PSN)

Nizz

jstevenson said:

:lol :lol Good one! It's nice of you guys to be doing that, putting covers online for d/load to enjoy whichever one suits players. I'll admit, I like the CE cover more than the regular one but no big deal. Like others have said, it's not like I'm going to hang the covers on the wall or whatnot! I'm more interested in how the game turns out ;) I have a question though, which type of paper do you guys recommend to use if I were to download one of those different covers?

I'd compare it to a CoD4 or 5. Looks less plastic-y than GoW; the lighting looks more organic to me as well. (keep in mind tho i PLAYED GoW2 and just WATCHED R2) not necessarily BETTER, but I liked it visually more.
Not bad at all! I don't know about other people, but I thought COD 4 looks amazing. That quality of graphics with the Resistance art style and nice lighting? That sounds sweet to me...

FightyF

Banned
jstevenson said:

I'm not picky about my covers at all, I'm fine with anything, but I have to say that allowing people to download hi-res covers to print is very cool, and I just might do that!

Hey jstevenson, or anyone else that knows it, is the Beta sign up page for the US only?

I ask this cause there's a "en-us" on the url and "en-uk" or "en-gb" don't work.

If not, is there anyway for an European to apply?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Metalmurphy said:
Hey jstevenson, or anyone else that knows it, is the Beta sign up page for the US only?

I ask this cause there's a "en-us" on the url and "en-uk" or "en-gb" don't work.

If not, is there anyway for an European to apply?

I think those are localization tags in general for MyRes.

However --- this signup is probably only going to work for SCEA. SCEE is announcing its own plans in each country as they vary from country to country. I don't have anymore details than that, though.

You can sign-up on that page, it can't hurt, at least.

jstevenson said:
I think those are localization tags in general for MyRes.

However --- this signup is probably only going to work for SCEA. SCEE is announcing its own plans in each country as they vary from country to country. I don't have anymore details than that, though.

You can sign-up on that page, it can't hurt, at least.
Got it. I've registered anyway then :p

M3Freak

Banned
I also agree with others that Insomniac is going way beyond the "call of duty" (ha!) by providing alternate cover artwork in hi-res - thanks!

Having said, I did two things today that I haven't done in a very long time, and one of those things I've never done:

1. I pre-ordered Resistance 2
2. I'm getting the LE

I caved! The pre-order isn't so bad (only put the minimum down - $10), but paying for the LE is nuts. $79.99 is a lot for a game, even though there are extra bits!

BTW, my EB didn't have the beta info stuff for the public beta. They did tell me that they would call when they get them in. ::shrugs::

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
FightyF said:
I'm not picky about my covers at all, I'm fine with anything, but I have to say that allowing people to download hi-res covers to print is very cool, and I just might do that!

Agreed that's sweet, but when/where ?

jstevenson,

Also will it be possible to get hi-res pictures of the CE cover without the logo's etc on, this is what I want to do, I'll give you an example below,

I want to split the cover of the CE art into two pictures likes so as a pair,

azcbuw.jpg

29vfn5z.jpg

And then either mount them behind glass with the large white boarder as above or get them printed onto canvas (Giclée) and have it framed, but as you can see having the logo's left on the art work will ruin the second picture so if possible please could we/I have access to the original art work.

GameSpot: Where are you currently in development? What's done? What's left?

Ted Price: The game is just about finished as I write this. Yet the three to four weeks before we deliver a final disc to the factory are always the most difficult. This is when we're fixing bugs, adding tons of polish, making tuning tweaks, and trying to keep our builds stable for the testing team. What's great is that all of our features are in, and the game is looking, sounding, and playing fantastic. Resistance 2 has become everything we hoped it would be.

GS: Co-op will be in the public beta, correct? What have you guys done with the co-op that's different? Can you tell us a little bit about different classes/gameplay styles people will play as?

TP: Yes, online co-op will be a big part of the public beta. And, we firmly believe we're breaking entirely new ground with Resistance 2's online co-op. What's different? First, we offer eight-player online co-op. Second, you can choose to play three different character classes, all of which can be leveled up to unlock unique weapons, armor, and abilities. Third, the co-op campaign has its own story--you aren't playing through the single-player story (which is pretty standard in most games.) Fourth, as I mentioned earlier, we have a branching level structure so that each play-through can be different.

During the public beta, players will get to check out the three different classes and level them up to a limited extent--unlocking some of the cool persistent rewards we offer.

So what are the classes? You can play as a medic, a spec ops, or a soldier. Each class is designed to support the other two classes. Here's how:

The soldier is the damage sponge of the group. His primary weapon is the HVAP wraith minigun. The wraith can deploy a moveable shield, which protects both the soldier [and] the teammates who follow him.

The medic is the only class that can heal the team. But to gain healing power, medics must use a special weapon, the medicator, to siphon energy from enemies.

The spec ops is the main damage dealer in the team and has the scoped marksman--allowing this class to stay back and work from a distance. However, the spec ops is responsible for dropping ammo packs and thus, must venture into the line of fire as well.

It's a lot of fun to try out different class mixes with your friends. Playing with eight medics is a challenge, but we're sure it's one some of the more masochistic players will want to try.

Finally, as I mentioned above, all of these character classes have plenty of cool unlockables they'll earn as they level up. These unlockables affect gameplay and ensure that the game stays fresh.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/resistance2/news.html?sid=6197590

Top Bottom