• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

jstevenson: With co op leveling being in the public beta, can you say whether or not the levels will carry over to the retail game if we are in the beta?

I had no idea the beta was for co-op. I had pretty much settled on getting the CE anyway, but this is incredible. This will be my first beta.

Online coop.

say a person dies during a battle. do they auto respawn or how will that work? Does Medic have an item to respawn? or do their body come back after killing all the enemies in that area?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DMPrince said:
Online coop.

say a person dies during a battle. do they auto respawn or how will that work? Does Medic have an item to respawn? or do their body come back after killing all the enemies in that area?

If a medic runs to them, they can revive them very quickly

OR

a Spec Ops or Soldier can spend a much longer amount of time doing nothing while standing on the body and revive them

OR

the timer expires and you respawn.

While this seems to make it very hard to stay dead - during our playtest today, Ted, Jake Biegel (lead co-op), Intihar, myself and a few other multiplayer folks were playing, and we got wiped out a couple times.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
prodystopian said:
jstevenson: With co op leveling being in the public beta, can you say whether or not the levels will carry over to the retail game if we are in the beta?

I had no idea the beta was for co-op. I had pretty much settled on getting the CE anyway, but this is incredible. This will be my first beta.

They will not carry over - we'll do a complete wipe of the servers and stats before retail launch.

The public beta data will be very helpful in doing finally tuning for XP amounts required to level up, as well as tuning the upgrade system as well.

jstevenson said:
If a medic runs to them, they can revive them very quickly

OR

a Spec Ops or Soldier can spend a much longer amount of time doing nothing while standing on the body and revive them

OR

the timer expires and you respawn.

While this seems to make it very hard to stay dead - during our playtest today, Ted, Jake Biegel (lead co-op), Intihar, myself and a few other multiplayer folks were playing, and we got wiped out a couple times.

what's the respawn time? 30 seconds or less? and can i turn it off to where they don't respawn? :lol

jstevenson said:
The public beta data will be very helpful in doing finally tuning for XP amounts required to level up, as well as tuning the upgrade system as well.

pls don't make the same mistake as cod 4 and bad company while balacing that. really don't want to see most ppl maxed their level after only two weeks or so. battlefield 2 is a good example how to rank up properly and give incentives in reasonable amounts of time.
ok maybe a online lifespan of about 1000h is a bit much for a console shooter, but make sure that one hasn't played dead after only 10 to 20.

thuway

I swear, Ted Price is one of the coolest guys ever. He doesn't talk shit about other games, he gives a straight forward answer, and he lets the product speak for itself.

Cesar

Banned
This part sounds awesome:

But one improvement I think everyone will notice is our new water. It's refractive, reflective, and can be tuned to create anything from muddy swamp water to a crystal clear Caribbean shoreline. It's fully interactive--meaning characters create very believable ripples and waves as they move around in it.

One of my favorite moments in the game takes place in a flooded area of Twin Falls, Idaho, where around 20 submerged leapers rush the player. All of the leapers are creating ripples, which interact with each other, something that's incredibly hard to program, especially if you want the game to run fast. It's also easy to get distracted by how cool the water looks while you're getting chewed up by the leapers.

We're extremely happy with where R2 is overall. That said, we're confident we'll continue to wring even more out of the PS3 over the next few years.

andycapps

I'm thinking that water is going to be one of Resistance 2's shining points, kind of like how glass shattered was one of Resistance: FOM's strong points (IMO).

James, the new shots of Leviathan at GS look very nice, no jaggies at all and the lighting is looking much better. Are those doctored up or are you guys running some significant anti-aliasing there? I'm suspecting the latter because I know you guys don't normally do bullshots like Team Ninja does for their games.

Ploid 3.0

Remember insomniac mentioning new tech they showed that will make quite a big splash? It was on the Fullmoon show. So I guess the water tech is what they meant. People figured it had something to do with water anyway. I hope to see it soon.

Tr4nce

That new Splicer weapon reminds me alot of that one weapon in Turok for N64. This game is shaping up real nicely. I want to buy it, but something is holding me back. I've had great fun with the first one, especially online with CTF. Oh what the hell, I'll just buy it. It's Resistance after all. The lighting looks way better by the way.

andycapps

Metalmurphy said:
I was disappointed with the SOCOM beta, not really my type of game, so... who do I have to kill to get in the R2 beta? :D

Pre-order the game? Or you can hope that if you're a very active member on My Res that they'll get you in eventually into the private beta before the public beta starts.

andycapps said:
Pre-order the game? Or you can hope that if you're a very active member on My Res that they'll get you in eventually into the private beta before the public beta starts.
Hum, I never actually pre-ordered a game, never felt the need for it. R2 might be my first. But I'm in Portugal, will I still get in?

andycapps

Metalmurphy said:
Hum, I never actually pre-ordered a game, never felt the need for it. R2 might be my first. But I'm in Portugal, will I still get in?

JS will have to answer that, but I'm pretty sure that SCEE is running it's own campaign for the beta, but that there will be one there. I don't know if pre-order guarantees you entry though. My apologies, I thought you were in the USA.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ploid 3.0 said:
Heh, splicer has a DOT ability. A term I picked up in a MMORPG. Now will it be usable in Co-op?

You hear the terms DPS and AOE a lot around the office in reference to co-op classes and abilities too..... :D

DemonCleaner said:
pls don't make the same mistake as cod 4 and bad company while balacing that. really don't want to see most ppl maxed their level after only two weeks or so. battlefield 2 is a good example how to rank up properly and give incentives in reasonable amounts of time.
ok maybe a online lifespan of about 1000h is a bit much for a console shooter, but make sure that one hasn't played dead after only 10 to 20.

To be fair, that happens with any leveling game. There are ALWAYS people who are going to play 12 hours a day constantly and just level up up up. You have to look at the more average player, and try to encourage them too. So there is a balance --- we get what you're saying though.

andycapps said:

Heh. Won't be able to get into the private beta for much longer.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I signed up for the beta on the website... when should I expect a response?

I'll be preordering the CE when I can.

scoobs

Kagari said:
I signed up for the beta on the website... when should I expect a response?

I'll be preordering the CE when I can.

The public beta starts in October, so I imagine the people that get in will be getting their invites around the beginning of the month.

DrPirate

Banned
d0g_bear said:
Have any Canadian Gaffers been to an EBgames that has the beta code? My local one in Montreal hadn't even heard of it.

Same problem here man. EB Games - Ottawa didn't know the release date, what perks you got for preordering, etc.

Epic Fail on their part.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So it's time for some baseless speculation. I've been thinking about what kinds of new weapons the Chimera are going to have, since all of the new weapons have been human ones. I'm thinking the Chimera are going to get their own kind of sniper rifle, mainly for the fact that that was one of the few types of threats missing from the single player campaign but I can't come up with anything more creative than that. Any ideas?

Wow JS, you have major patience. That cat david123 over at the Beta Forums on MyRes has to be the most annoying poster in the history of man. I wish a Grim would tear him limb from limb. Once again you are the man.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
cjtiger300 said:
Wow JS, you have major patience. That cat david123 over at the Beta Forums on MyRes has to be the most annoying poster in the history of man. I wish a Grim would tear him limb from limb. Once again you are the man.

hahaha.... he sent us all a message last night explaining why we should make him a mod... :lol :lol

CAVE343

I've been staying out of Resistance threads beause I want to see the game for the first time on my own screen, but its so tempting to look at all the media!

Please release the PAL version in the same span as the US version :)

jstevenson said:
hahaha.... he sent us all a message last night explaining why we should make him a mod... :lol :lol

A mod? I am guessing that PM went straight to the trash! That guy has some serious issues.:lol :lol

ganja

4176_resistance2.jpg

4180_resistance2.jpg

4178_resistance2.jpg

4179_resistance2.jpg

old?

Ploid 3.0

jstevenson said:
You hear the terms DPS and AOE a lot around the office in reference to co-op classes and abilities too..... :D

Hah awesome!

(sorry couldn't find a word other than awesome)

ganja said:
http://mattyblog.cookynet.com/resistance2/screenshots/4176_resistance2.jpg\
[/QUOTE]

Holeey [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/9u3t3d.gif

http://mattyblog.cookynet.com/resistance2/screenshots/4180_resistance2.jpg\
[IMG]http://mattyblog.cookynet.com/resistance2/screenshots/4178_resistance2.jpg\
[IMG]http://mattyblog.cookynet.com/resistance2/screenshots/4179_resistance2.jpg\
old?[/quote]

I seen these in a video.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
ahh... the latter three are all from E3 trailer... and looked ripped out of it. Game looks better.

The first one was in the Gamepro story, I think.

PS - if you want new screens, the cover story in PlayStation: The Official Magazine this month is the place to be.

Ploid 3.0

jstevenson said:
ahh... the latter three are all from E3 trailer... and looked ripped out of it. Game looks better.

The first one was in the Gamepro story, I think.

PS - if you want new screens, the cover story in PlayStation: The Official Magazine this month is the place to be.

Man you guys are awes.. spectacular.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was just about to write that some of these shots were from the E3 trailer (i knew i had seen that 2nd picture before with the big machine (unfortunately i cant remember the name for them), so i checked over at Gametrailers.com and Youtube.com to find this trailer, i had to search alittle since i didnt know it was from the E3 trailer at first), but jstevenson already beaten me to it :)

I think the screenshots looks great though, so thanks for posting them, ganja! :) And if the game looks better now, that is a nice bonus for me! :)

Top Bottom