• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

In the middle of a co-op right now.
OMG this game is insanely addictive.

OK, so we're about 20 minutes into it... And all of a sudden we all spawn inside a log cabin with absolutely no way out. :lol :lol :lol lolwhut?!

kaching said:
Not Li?kely.

Really? They're talked about in Resistance: FoM, but never seen, and they're not going to appear in R2 either? Seems kind of strange. Seems as if they would appear as a twist at some point in R2 to me. But what do I know.

Enojado

RJNavarrete said:
There it is. But yea, I want some GAF friends to play co-op with.
PSNs?

As a friendly fyi, there is a R2 beta thread in the online/matchup forum that has people's PSN's that are going to play R2. Put your PSN there and I'm sure you can expand the GAF friend's you have. :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
nevermind, im an idiot.

Seems you cant download with US account and play it via your normal one. Not sure why i thought that, guess i dreamed it.

-PXG-

Pai Pai Master said:
Oh yes, definitely. Compared to this, there was basically no hit detection in the private beta. It was a very, very early build. This feels near-complete, if not final.

To me, it feels like it has a long way to go. R2 feels incomplete and rushed. I thought Resistance 1 was GOOD, but nothing great. SP was a lot of fun, MP was average at best. I thought the game had terrible, inconsistent art direction and poor MP map design.

In the Beta, I don't get a good sense that I am actually making contact with whatever I am shooting. The speed and how things move seem off and out of place. It's just a really sloppy game all over to me. Its fun for a while, but its just mindless mayhem and people creating Marksman phalanxes and shit. I hate to say it, but its a discombobulated mess of a game to be honest. Again, fun for a bit, but just not well put together.

So, I REALLY hope that this isn't anything close to what the final product will be.

yanhero

Wow, I thought Resistance1 was just alright so I wasn't sure if I was gonna get R2, but R2 coop is just so much fun. I've never played an fps with classes before, and this might just be my favorite coop fps.

One question though, can a Medic heal himself?? If so, how???

yanhero said:
Wow, I thought Resistance1 was just alright so I wasn't sure if I was gonna get R2, but R2 coop is just so much fun. I've never played an fps with classes before, and this might just be my favorite coop fps.

Nah. It's not like the special ops where he drops a case of ammo... The medic actually shoots out a healing beam, I think, so you can't theoretically heal yourself.

Ploid 3.0

yanhero said:

Don't he have regen or something? He automatically heals, oh wait is the health regeneration on everyone naturally? Does a medic health regeneration move faster than the other classes?

Awntawn

Ploid 3.0 said:
Don't he have regen or something? He automatically heals, oh wait is the health regeneration on everyone naturally? Does a medic health regeneration move faster than the other classes?
The first berserk Ring of Life also automatically boosts your health to full. Otherwise, the phoenix gun drains life from enemies when you shoot them.

Ploid 3.0

Awntawn said:
The first berserk Ring of Life also automatically boosts your health to full. Otherwise, the phoenix gun drains life from enemies when you shoot them.

Ooh, these items sound nice. Wonder what all the items do. Can't wait to mess around and sink my teeth into co-op. I started a gamefly account to keep myself occupied with games (since LBP got delayed and committed suicide going against R2 for me).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
evlcookie said:
nevermind, im an idiot.

Seems you cant download with US account and play it via your normal one. Not sure why i thought that, guess i dreamed it.

what?

i downloaded with my qore us account and can play it just fine on my dutch psn account.

-PXG- said:
To me, it feels like it has a long way to go. R2 feels incomplete and rushed. I thought Resistance 1 was GOOD, but nothing great. SP was a lot of fun, MP was average at best. I thought the game had terrible, inconsistent art direction and poor MP map design.

In the Beta, I don't get a good sense that I am actually making contact with whatever I am shooting. The speed and how things move seem off and out of place. It's just a really sloppy game all over to me. Its fun for a while, but its just mindless mayhem and people creating Marksman phalanxes and shit. I hate to say it, but its a discombobulated mess of a game to be honest. Again, fun for a bit, but just not well put together.

So, I REALLY hope that this isn't anything close to what the final product will be.

I agree. I feel KZ2 is much better as a competitive multiplayer experience. It's hard for me to play the R2 beta competitively after playing KZ2, which is far more polished, has better gameplay dynamics and weapon balance. R1 felt too spammy with lots of laserbeam weapons. I know IG is known for their weapons, but having lots of crazy weapons does not make for a balanced MP game.

That being said, R2 has a fantastic co-op mode, and the single player will definitely be a lot of fun (just like the first). So it's still day 1 to me. I guess you can kind of expect some of these issues with just one year's development time.

I can't imagine what IG would do with 2 years dev time on a project.

Snipes424

-PXG- said:

Weren't you the same guy yesterday who was trolling this forum?

Flunkie

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I agree. I feel KZ2 is much better as a competitive multiplayer experience. It's hard for me to play the R2 beta competitively after playing KZ2, which is far more polished, has better gameplay dynamics and weapon balance. R1 felt too spammy with lots of laserbeam weapons. I know IG is known for their weapons, but having lots of crazy weapons does not make for a balanced MP game.

That being said, R2 has a fantastic co-op mode, and the single player will definitely be a lot of fun (just like the first). So it's still day 1 to me. I guess you can kind of expect some of these issues with just one year's development time.

Killzone 2 is an amazing game that, I think, blows every other shooter to date out of the water, but that doesn't mean the Resistance 2 is any less fun for me. They're both great games, for different reasons. I'm loving both betas immensely.

Flunkie said:
Killzone 2 is an amazing game that, I think, blows every other shooter to date out of the water, but that doesn't mean the Resistance 2 is any less fun for me. They're both great games, for different reasons. I'm loving both betas immensely.

This is true.

Actually, I kind of wish I hadn't played Killzone 2 yet.

By all means, R2 is a fantastic shooter, and definitely up there with other great shooters.

Killzone 2 is just so far above everything else that it really doesn't make me want to go back to CoD4 or Halo 3....AT ALL. The game is that amazing. Everyone is in for a treat in February when it releases. It'll be *THE* shooter to own and play this generation.

Like I said, I love Resistance 2 as well - co-op mode is a blast with 8 people, and that's something Killzone 2 won't have, and Resistance 1 had an awesome campaign with some great atmosphere.

jstevenson said:
No install. Just a system cache like RFOM and RCF.

Showing PS3 devs how it's done! I love the new UI. Very slick.

Ploid 3.0

Private Hoffman said:

I want to see insomniac work on a epic game that takes as long as GT5, but since they are independent they do what works, and their games are epic as is. Two year stagger development? Or is it brainstorm on ideas, while making one game, then after that game is near done start developing the game that was brainstormed?

And yea KZ2 is a long way off and R2 has it's own reasons for playing that KZ2 don't offer. Eating my burger with my Fries when KZ2 come out (I'd still be playing R2 *burger*).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tiduz said:
what?

i downloaded with my qore us account and can play it just fine on my dutch psn account.

Odd. Downloaded it on my US account and tried to play it on my AUS account, just sits there frozen on the start screen. Works fine back in the US account though.

For me, competitive was just an afterthought in the original game. Even though it's much more enjoyable this time around, it'll probably remain the same. That said, it's a huge bonus that I'm looking forward to playing both the single-player campaign and the co-op for a very long time. The co-op adds a whole lot to the package, IMO.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ToyMachine228 said:
Really? They're talked about in Resistance: FoM, but never seen, and they're not going to appear in R2 either? Seems kind of strange. Seems as if they would appear as a twist at some point in R2 to me. But what do I know.
I may be wrong, but when asked about it interviews the IG guys have said there wouldn't be much focus on them, if at all. It was certainly an interesting premise in the first game.

Llyranor

My main interest in this game is the 8p co-op. Hopefully that'll have some good value. Can't say I have much or any interest in KZ2 at all unless it has a co-op mode, though.

Anyway, leaving the download for overnight.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
evlcookie said:
Odd. Downloaded it on my US account and tried to play it on my AUS account, just sits there frozen on the start screen. Works fine back in the US account though.

maybe they locked it out now, a few hours ago it worked. if they locked it out that sucks, i dont have any friends on my us account =/

I need to stop playing co-op with random people; they are so clueless. Everyone thinks "Special Ops? That sounds like a badass class!!" and yet nobody realizes it is a support class. It's so annoying when you're playing as a Soldier and you have a bunch of Spec Ops running around in front of your gunfire and never dropping ammo.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I get co-op now, boy is it a blast. It's like a non stop adrenaline battle, like a mini WoW raid with guns. we had a great group, everyone had headsets and used teamwork. We beat the map and I got a level and a half as a spec ops.

So how many co-op maps are there in retail? How many planned for DLC? I'm not sure I will ever touch versus mode with co-op being so fun.

The graphics also looked much better than the first time I played, maybe it had to do with the day time light washing things out last time. Great work Insomniac.

Valkyr Junkie said:
I need to stop playing co-op with random people; they are so clueless. Everyone thinks "Special Ops? That sounds like a badass class!!" and yet nobody realizes it is a support class. It's so annoying when you're playing as a Soldier and you have a bunch of Spec Ops running around in front of your gunfire and never dropping ammo.

Yeah, that's the problem. A lot of people don't get that none of the classes are meant to be dedicated DDs. Each can dish out some decent damage, but their specializations are what make them different from one another. Most medics quickly learn that healing is the proper way to do things, but I'm constantly hard pressed to find soldiers that keep their shields up and specops that drop ammo as much as possible.

Shadow780

Somehow I missed having vertical split screen on co-op, plus the letterbox horizontal split-screen takes time to get use to.

Other than that great experience so far, having co-op really made this game special.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Played bout 8 rounds of 60 player, my eyes are fucking burning, look like Hale when you choose R2 in the XMB. There was some glitch a guy was invincible, literally, there was 6 people try to kill him, i hit him bout 8 times with the rifle R3'n or whatever, it would knock him down but he would get back up and keep shooting, i naded him as well, dunno what happened.

Can i have a code anyone got a spare one, being a brit i aint got a gamespot doing this offer and i might have been too late in the play.com order.

Enojado

Valkyr Junkie said:

This. Played a game earlier where I was constantly asking for ammo over and over again. Eventually the idiot would figure out he should hand some out. Still, was a pretty fun game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
kaching said:
I may be wrong, but when asked about it interviews the IG guys have said there wouldn't be much focus on them, if at all. It was certainly an interesting premise in the first game.

Resistance: Retribution is in Europe still... *hint hint*

Enojado

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah, that's the problem. A lot of people don't get that none of the classes are meant to be dedicated DDs. Each can dish out some decent damage, but their specializations are what make them different from one another. Most medics quickly learn that healing is the proper way to do things, but I'm constantly hard pressed to find soldiers that keep their shields up and specops that drop ammo as much as possible.

Dumb question, I play as the soldier (guy with big chain gun thing right?) and don't know how to use the shield. I have the berzerk that cuts down on damage. Do I change my berzerk somewhere to be the shield or am I missing something real obvious (I'm afraid this is the case :lol :lol )

Holy SHIT... co-op is fun as fuck, competitive deathmatch is utter crazy and fun chaos. This is game of forever, most fun I have had with a shooter since my Halo 2 days. Huge props, insomniac.. huge props.

Will custom soundtracks be supported?

G-Bus

Banned
Hype +1 after all the impressions. Only game me and my brother play together and I'm really glad to see split-screen added for online play :D

Hopefully I get into the beta when it opens up completely. Any word on when that would be?

Top Bottom