• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Rolf NB

patsu said:
Rolf, play on Hard level.
I will ... whenever the patching finishes. 80% of the first file, and there's a second one after that.

I suppose the background download of Resident Evil 4 HD is still going on, and that really doesn't help things.

I am not finished yet with single player but the game is very depressing.
I just killed this big boss thing underground and moved on to another chapter without feeling very victorious. The world is a mess I know it's the storyline but it's just not fun to be in this world with few or no upsides.

Ricker

What`s up with chapter 7 in St-Louis...is it one of those COD levels where you have to move to a certain point so they stop coming or what? fought there for 20 minutes and they are still coming and coming...

Himself

Ricker said:
What`s up with chapter 7 in St-Louis...is it one of those COD levels where you have to move to a certain point so they stop coming or what? fought there for 20 minutes and they are still coming and coming...

Which point? I don't remember encountered anything like this.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Himself said:
Which point? I don't remember encountered anything like this.

patsu said:
What happened there ? I forgot. ^_^

Right before the bar fight, the downed plane (A or V TOL?), Chimera attacking at the adjacent building. You come out of a hole in the wall, 3 Long-Legs drop down, then there's Steel Heads and Hybrids run a muck. I grinded there for awhile to get my guns to level 3, got almost all of them there except, shotty. If you don't use the zip lines, Hybrids keep coming in 2 lol, get more kills to level up.

You have to cross the zip line to trigger them to stop, or they keep coming LOL, once you are in the broken building, next script scene triggers, they call you over the NPC, before that they keep saying come over here stranger if you ar ein the building overlooking (where the Dead Eye is_

I'm hoping that is what he was referring too

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just picked this up last night, and I'm amazed at how great the campaign has been so far.
I know there's probably been some knocks against the resolution, but I just love the way the game looks. Insomniac seems to have taken a different approach, with textures that almost have a "painted" look to them. Their artists have also done a tremendous job with all of the devastation and debris strewn about, and the attention to detail is just fantastic. It literally looks like the Chimnera have left no stone unturned in their quest to eliminate humanity.
Speaking of humanity, it really feels like this is it. Like you're one of the precious few people left.
This may be the most fun I've had with a single player campagin, of all of Sony's fps titles so far.

GraveRobberX said:
Right before the bar fight, the downed plane (A or V TOL?), Chimera attacking at the adjacent building. You come out of a hole in the wall, 3 Long-Legs drop down, then there's Steel Heads and Hybrids run a muck. I grinded there for awhile to get my guns to level 3, got almost all of them there except, shotty. If you don't use the zip lines, Hybrids keep coming in 2 lol, get more kills to level up.

You have to cross the zip line to trigger them to stop, or they keep coming LOL, once you are in the broken building, next script scene triggers, they call you over the NPC, before that they keep saying come over here stranger if you ar ein the building overlooking (where the Dead Eye is_

I'm pretty sure that this might be a bit bugged. On 3 playthroughs, I had them only spawn endlessly once there and in one of the other two times the next scene didn't trigger at all, making it the encounter that did bug out most on me.
Of all fights,
the only one that consistently had them respawn was the reactor fight at the end. Even the Chimera during the Widowmaker fight in NY stopped spawning at some point. I consciously noticed this and actually was thankful that IG decided to not have infinite respawns during most parts of the game.

DigiMish

kingschiebi said:
Of all fights,
the only one that consistently had them respawn was the reactor fight at the end. Even the Chimera during the Widowmaker fight in NY stopped spawning at some point. I consciously noticed this and actually was thankful that IG decided to not have infinite respawns during most parts of the game.

They didn't consistently respawn for me at the part you're describing. I cleared them all out, then completed the objective.

DigiMish said:
They didn't consistently respawn for me at the part you're describing. I cleared them all out, then completed the objective.

That seems to be inconsistent. May I ask on which difficulty level you played?
My experience mainly comes from playing on Hard. The other times I played on Easy just to get journals and went straight for the objectives most of the time without paying too much attention to the Chimera around me.

I doubt that it is random for each playthrough as that would seem like a really strange design decision.

Ricker

GraveRobberX said:

Yeah that`s exactly it...at one point I heard someone say come here but I never found him,so I jumped down and headed towards the plane/chopper to help the people there but nothing triggered heh....i`ll try again this morning....it`s just that if you die after a while,there`s like no checkpoint per say,so you restart from the hole in the wall.

Rolf NB

Game looks amazing in motion. Gave me a few of those "wait, this is not a cutscene?" moments. Rendering human skin seems to be the final frontier for Insomniac's artists.

Love how the game handles. It's just perfect in every respect. Mad props for not only implementing full control customization, but going above and beyond, with multiple concurrent custom configs that can even be freely named. I like to crouch with L2 and throw my grenades with O. The game lets me do that. I think that's nice.

Great campaign so far. Stuff keeps happening and changing at a good pace. Nice flipping back and forth between different enemy families. Maybe a bit easy. Only died twice and I'm already up with the religious types. But I'm sure SH difficulty will fix that proper.

Campaign-wise, I'm ready to call it the strongest in the trilogy hands down even at this point. Mission accomplished.

test_account

XP-39C²
kingschiebi said:
That seems to be inconsistent. May I ask on which difficulty level you played?
My experience mainly comes from playing on Hard. The other times I played on Easy just to get journals and went straight for the objectives most of the time without paying too much attention to the Chimera around me.

I doubt that it is random for each playthrough as that would seem like a really strange design decision.
I played on hard as well and i managed to wipe out all the enemies there before i took the Widowmaker.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
SP mostly. I barely play MP games these days.

So it's good... hmmm... will buy it over the week :D. Gotta try and force myself to finish R2 though. Meh.

DireStr8s

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing a left handed option for Move. Killzone 3 pushed everything to the right side of the dualshock for me. R3 doesn't seem to do this. And juggling between Move & dualshock trying to figure it out is annoying as fuck

Rolf NB

Oh wow, dat snow! And the alien architecture stuff is brilliant as well. Definitely getting more challenging now. Awesome!
nickslicl said:
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing a left handed option for Move. Killzone 3 pushed everything to the right side of the dualshock for me. R3 doesn't seem to do this. And juggling between Move & dualshock trying to figure it out is annoying as fuck
It's there. I'm on v1.0 because the patch would take 35 minutes to download, and it's right there in the control customization, at the bottom. "Left Stick Function" can be either "Move" or "Look".

GrayFoxPL

I thought I'll pass this up because of short campaign but the demo is great.

Tons of new details, death animations and the dust, smoke, explosions effects are fantastic.

I must get it.

DireStr8s

Rolf NB said:
Oh wow, dat snow! And the alien architecture stuff is brilliant as well. Definitely getting more challenging now. Awesome!
It's there. I'm on v1.0 because the patch would take 35 minutes to download, and it's right there in the control customization, at the bottom. "Left Stick Function" can be either "Move" or "Look".

Yeah, I tried that; doesn't work. Using Move nullifies any custom control. In fact, I can't even access "Customize Controls" with the Move controller on.

Anyway, I don't think Move would change the fact that I'm not having much fun with the game.

Rolf NB

Dat ending sequence!
nickslicl said:
Yeah, I tried that; doesn't work. Using Move nullifies any custom control. In fact, I can't even access "Customize Controls" with the Move controller on.

Anyway, I don't think Move would change the fact that I'm not having much fun with the game.
Oh sorry, didn't get that you were asking for PS Move controls. Just thought you wanted to control which stick, err, moves.

Kurod

Banned
Global Resistance War 10 is over and I finally got my Malikov skin. Woo

It was getting really close there at the start of the final round. I figured the chimera had it in the bag once they took Greenland with its +95% to chimera deploy bonus and access to two areas of North America.

Violater

MrPliskin said:
How do you mean?
The rocket spamming right now is ridiculous
how the fuck is that a weapon you spawn with.
Turrets, invisible people, atomizer its all just to me for an old fart like me i guess.

Cornbread78

Violater said:
The rocket spamming right now is ridiculous
how the fuck is that a weapon you spawn with.
Turrets, invisible people, atomizer its all just to me for an old fart like me i guess.

If they coukd figure out how to stabilize the frameraate with all the weapon spamming going on and get rid of that lag, online would be epic. It's just sp hard tp deal with sometimes...

I played SP last night instead and made it to Penn.

I'm loving the capaign, the only thing tht bugs me at times is the lack of objective markers. you can get lost!

Pancho

Qurupancho
Finished the game on normal with a buddy, great game. Although we ran into a few sequence bugs where the next sequence would not play and you sorta stayed in limbo unless you quit the game. this got particularly annoying in the last chapter that happened very frequently
Charlie got stuck on walls a few times, breaking the sequence

Also on the
downed VTOL part, right before you get into the bar
happened two times I think.

Today I began on superhuman with another friend of mine and damn does the game kick your ass on that difficulty. We were stuck on
boat area
for quite some time. Damn longlegs.

I'm still sad they didn't bring the co-op mode from R2. They could've done it as different mission from the different resistance factions across the globe. It's the one thing I wish they kept from R2.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Up to chapter eight, and is it me, or are the people fighting beside me useless window dressing?
I mean sheesh, these guys are supposed to be some of the last survivors fighting for the human race, and they don't kill squat.
Still loving the game though, and I love meleeing a Chimera in the face, and seeing it kinda just shrug it off a little, before eating a second one.

MrPliskin

Banned
ShinUltramanJ said:
Up to chapter eight, and is it me, or are the people fighting beside me useless window dressing?
I mean sheesh, these guys are supposed to be some of the last survivors fighting for the human race, and they don't kill squat.
Still loving the game though, and I love meleeing a Chimera in the face, and seeing it kinda just shrug it off a little, before eating a second one.
When there's half a dozen enemies around you, their accuracy has to be toned down if you want to present the player with any sort of challenge.

This game has some of the best death animations around. All the enemies have the satisfying pop when they do down. Especially with headshots. It's such a contrast to R2 where titans would explode in comical fashion.

glaurung

For those that doubted that the weaponsmith trophy cannot be unlocked during first playthrough - I got it last night and I don't think I am that near the end yet.

Question for those that have already went ahead with New Game+
Do you get new weapons on the second playthrough like you did in the first Resistance game?

glaurung said:
For those that doubted that the weaponsmith trophy cannot be unlocked during first playthrough - I got it last night and I don't think I am that near the end yet.

Question for those that have already went ahead with New Game+
Do you get new weapons on the second playthrough like you did in the first Resistance game?

No, unfortunately.

glaurung

OneMoreQuestion said:
No, unfortunately.
Bah, weaksauce.

So what's the incentive of New Game+ aside from playing on Superhuman to get the trophy? (and the other trophies that one might have missed the first time out)

Top Bottom