• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

NBtoaster

Just watched some bits of a playthrough of the final game on youtube and I'm liking what I see. Very good mood, setting and graphics. Don't think I'll watch any more though.

Ashes

Banned
Wow. If that is final code; it looks awesome! Wish I hadn't seen it though, even though I'd seen similar footage from the preview builds. Yep, this 'look' will do me just fine I thinks.

Ashes

Banned
Ahhh! I think some of that stuff is new! lol! seen it. shit. Read the disclaimer folks.

ps. It does look very beautiful. Around the 9 minute mark. Just sayin.

.la1n

Loudninja said:
Thats good so how you like, no story spoliers or anything like that please.Guys don't be afraid to post impressions just don't spoil anything or I will destroy you :)

I have pretty much covered all I want to so that everyone can get a fresh experience like I did. I will let you know that I am on my third play through. That is the single player. It's like Resistance 1 in that respect, it's just plain fun to run through the game on higher difficulties and realize the way you played the last time isn't going to cut it this time. Best part of all that? Weapon wheel. The return of which has made the guns I choose completely change any scenario / encounter I am happen to be on. No longer are you handed the gun needed to complete an area (Resistance 2.)
As an improvement over Resistance 1 you now find yourself ever more immersed in the characters and story thanks to all the events being tied to a more meaningful fight. It really is humanity's last push to save all that it has left. Every now and then you run into a part where you think it's going to be a cut scene but instead you realize "oh shit I have to actually fight THAT?"
If you didn't like the series a whole you should really give this a chance. If you loved the first and hated the second YOU MUST play this. If you liked the first two then you know what to do :) I won't comment on the new weapons and changed secondary modes of fire as that is one of the more entertaining factors of the new game.

Thrakier

patsu said:
I don't particularly care about realism details in games, 'specially scifi.

Who in this world carry a hoist of 12-14 weapons of all sizes + grenades + health serums (like Doraemon !), and can sprint forever like RoadRunner ? Nathan Hale,
before he became god

If it makes the game more fun, I'll strap another 10 to Capelli. ^_^

I reckon the gun perspective in Move is probably to simplify the implementation, and make the experience and view more consistent. It is possible that the developers tried the DS3 way (since it requires no change), but think that the existing Move perspective is better.

Some press folks who already have the game can probably ask Insomniac.

I agree the cross hair may be distracting to some folks though. It's the focal point for all Move users.

Yeah, for me it's just that in games with heavy emphasis on the atmosphere, immersion is a huge part of the fun for me. If my character feels like a human being or like a mutant is important. You need to see me how I'm playing such a game, I'm not rushing through it just shooting shit but I really try to immerse myself in the word step by step. Whatever, maybe it's part of the story. Capelli got infected and grew very very long arms so that he could hold the weapon 3 meters away from him and push it to the right corner of the screen. Something like that. Actually he should be able to shoot around cornes while still standing behind them if he holds the weapon like that. ;D

To be serious, I'd really love to hear an explanation from IG why they did this and how it makes any sense. I thought the KZ3 solution (while it had it's own problems) was pretty much perfect and it didn't hide the beautiful wepaon models. Also I don't think it's hard to offer at least three different crosshairs to choose from, is it?

Pikma

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
One of the unfortunate things about this game is that there are quite a few to climb.

The quality of that animation is unacceptable, I still don't get why they kept that ugly, awkward and straight-out bad animation. That right there is the worst thing I have seen about the game (from having played the beta).

Bradach

Pikma said:
The quality of that animation is unacceptable, I still don't get why they kept that ugly, awkward and straight-out bad animation. That right there is the worst thing I have seen about the game (from having played the beta).
Yeah, I noticed it straight away too. Just a little camera sway would've gone a long way. Ah well, not a game breaker

Yay... just got my copy \(^o^)/

photoigj.jpg

going to have launch then play it ALLLLLLL DAAAAAY :D

CozMick

Banned
I reached level 30 in just over 4 hours, i'm guessing the ranking up system is sped up for the beta? please say yes.

Also, are there weapons/perks in the retail game that weren't in the beta?

jsnepo

Bradach said:
Yeah, I noticed it straight away too. Just a little camera sway would've gone a long way. Ah well, not a game breaker

You mean the video is the retail version? Killzone got better ladder animation that that and that was a shitty PS2 game.

darkwing

CozMick said:
I reached level 30 in just over 4 hours, i'm guessing the ranking up system is sped up for the beta? please say yes.

Yes, way faster in Beta

Pikma

Banned
CozMick said:

Yes, you will level up slower in the full game, 60 is the lvl cap and from there you can start from the beginning again and choose another upgrades/perks (keeping your old ones). And yes, there will be plenty more, you can find the full list 2-3 pages back in this same thread. :)

jsnepo said:
You mean the video is the retail version? Killzone got better ladder animation that that and that was a shitty PS2 game.

Yes, it's horrible. I don't know what's worse, that a professional did that abomination, or that the team found it acceptable.

Reckoner

CozMick said:

it was already said that yes, it is faster to level up in the beta. it's always that way on the betas. nothing new.

jsnepo said:
and it is not only the animation. it feels too heavy to the general gameplay mechanics, but I can live with it.

Pikma said:

Exactly my thoughts. How you can have such a HORRIBLE looking element in a game that so heavily hinges on its visual impact/immersion is beyond me and basically a slap in the face to the player. It's ONE animation! And sure, you could use that exact point to rebut me, but it's seriously crap.

Melchiah

I just got an e-mail from the store that my special edition has been sent, which is absolutely amazing as I feared I had to wait until next week to get it. =)

I went 21-7 and 21-10 in my final two games in the beta. And in my final one I got the last kill by M203'ing a guy against a wall. Very satisfying way to send the beta out. Can't wait for the full game! I'd honestly peg R3's multiplayer above the CoD games.

glaurung

The steelbook special edition is available through all major webshops.

But the survivor edition that I wanted because of that flask seems to be a walk-in store exclusive. Not listed at any major shops.

CozMick

Banned
Reckoner said:
it was already said that yes, it is faster to level up in the beta. it's always that way on the betas. nothing new.

Pikma said:
Yes, you will level up slower in the full game, 60 is the lvl cap and from there you can start from the beginning again and choose another upgrades/perks (keeping your old ones). And yes, there will be plenty more, you can find the full list 2-3 pages back in this same thread. :)

darkwing said:
Yes, way faster in Beta

Thanks guys, appreciate the info :)

Friday can't come soon enough.

JB1981

NBtoaster said:
Nah, this one:
Disclaimer: I don't know if there are any spoilers in this video, I didn't watch all of it and just skipped around. Watch at own risk!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzyCtCBkTcE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
It's early in the game, just after the boat level.

Some really good looking environments there, shows of some great lighting. Saw an interesting weapon too.

Too bad about the res and AA .. game would look great in HD with good AA

patsu

For me, it looks great as it stands. Forgot that the RFOM style narration makes a comeback. Kinda miss Ms. Rachel Parker though. What happened to her ?

Bumped into someone who's playing R3 yesterday evening. He was in the chatroom. He played it on hard, going through superhuman now. Told me AI is great, they can do a variety of moves, including shoot at friendly AI. Looks like I need to play the game to experience it myself. 8^)

BobTheFork, you went to Insomniac to play R3 ?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Capelli's voice is so dif, lol.

Not a spoiler, but I'd really freak out if Hale suddenly showed up in the SP somewhere. NO ONE RESPOND TO THIS SAYING IF HE DOES OR DOES NOT K THNX

JB1981 said:
Too bad about the res and AA .. game would look great in HD with good AA

It still looks pretty good. The art and setting design is really unique. Go back and play R1. This looks much better. Res could be worse, I guess.

edit: WTF, the ladder is fine. I half expected this awkward teleportation/camera shaking mess. It's just simple and quick. What looks so bad? Hand over hand and you see the side of the ladder.

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Not a spoiler, but I'd really freak out if Hale suddenly showed up in the SP somewhere. NO ONE RESPOND TO THIS SAYING IF HE DOES OR DOES NOT K THNX

I WON'T RESPOND BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE THE GAME BEFORE ME! LOL

patsu

Oh yeah, he also told me there are other kinds of grenade in MP.

Curious how the game will run if everyone throws one. ^_^
As I understand, the effect is bandwidth intensive on the PS3. Keeping the game SubHD would make it possible.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:

It still looks pretty good. Go back and play R1. This looks much better. Res could be worse, I guess.

Hahaha.

patsu said:
Oh yeah, he also told me there are other kinds of grenade in MP.

Curious how the game will run if everyone throws one. ^_^
As I understand, the effect is bandwidth intensive on the PS3. Keeping the game SubHD would make it possible.
Yeah there is the EMP grande and the molotov cocktaill.

patsu

LOL. I don't know what is Molotov Cocktail. ^_^
Out with it... what does the grenade do ?

Now that I recount our conversation more carefully, I am not sure if the weapon is in MP. But we were talking about MP when he brought up the grenade. I assume it is also an MP weapon but did not double check with him.

EDIT: I looked up wiki. Molotov Cocktail sounds like Airfuel grenade though.

Loudninja

patsu said:
LOL. I don't know what is Molotov Cocktail. ^_^
Out with it... what does the grenade do ?

Now that I recount our conversation more carefully, I am not sure if the weapon is in MP. But we were talking about MP when he brought up the grenade. I assume it is also an MP weapon but did not double check with him.

EDIT: I looked up wiki. Molotov Cocktail sounds like Airfuel grenade though.
Well it does replace the air fuel grenade.You can see it in the E3 trailer at the 51 second mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-WwJlaH6tA

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished my playthrough of R1. The pacing is so weird in that game. Like in Somerset and Bristol and then in the tunnels...the levels just kinda end. The end of the level where you get to the top of the tower outside London is a single stalker battle and then it ends. Bizarre.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I hate to say this, but Insomniac really, really burned a lot of bridges with resistance 2. There seemed to be a lot more excitement over R2 (before people actually played it) compared to R3, which is releasing soon.

pelican

bobbytkc said:
I hate to say this, but Insomniac really, really burned a lot of bridges with resistance 2. There seemed to be a lot more excitement over R2 (before people actually played it) compared to R3, which is releasing soon.

I'd agree that R2 was disappointing, but I am still looking forward to playing R3.

People look back on R2 as being a terrible game. It wasn't. It was disappointing which is a world of difference in my book.

Loudninja

bobbytkc said:
Stop using message boards as hype indicators. ;)

Ashes

Banned
Loudninja said:
Stop using message boards as hype indicators. ;)

I think I agree with the others. The days of being compared to gears is over. I think the equivalent now is Dead Island.

Amongst friends at least, Dead Island seems to have more hype behind it. Even though Sony are throwing a lot of weight behind Resistance. And the previews have been favourable.

edit: I still think meta-critic counts for something though, and R3 will easily get higher reviews; it does have the advantage of being a first rate console exclusive. If it hits 90 though, it could go big. Still, I'm betting it'll be around the same as R1/R2 though.

dogmanstaruk said:
I'd agree that R2 was disappointing, but I am still looking forward to playing R3.

People look back on R2 as being a terrible game. It wasn't. It was disappointing which is a world of difference in my book.

Extremely disappointing, yes. The Campaign certainly was, but the co-op was fantastic. Competitive is YMMV.

Despite all that, I'm still looking forward to playing this one. The only thing that killed some of the hype for me at launch was the 8p co-op wouldn't be back.

But, it looks like that's Overstrike, so we'll see.

Hazelhurst

Boombloxer said:
Extremely disappointing, yes. The Campaign certainly was, but the co-op was fantastic. Competitive is YMMV.

Despite all that, I'm still looking forward to playing this one. The only thing that killed some of the hype for me at launch was the 8p co-op wouldn't be back.

But, it looks like that's Overstrike, so we'll see.
Wow, is this true? That was my favorite part of R2. So much fun and addictive. Is there anything equivalent?

Loudninja

Hazelhurst said:
Wow, is this true? That was my favorite part of R2. So much fun and addictive. Is there anything equivalent?
Its all in the OP in the FAQ section.You still have 2 player story co-op, online and offline.

Top Bottom