• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Bloody three days later for the EU...., Friday seems an eternity away :-(, those tweets from keighley and Garnett have me pretty hyped now.

So do the review embargo's end on the US or EU release date?

U2NUMB

Debating about going to the midnight release here... Think I may give it a shot even if I dont play much tonight. Wonder how many will be there for the release.

Loudninja

I hope my guild come sphere tomorrow as well, I order them separately.

lowrider007 said:
Bloody three days later for the EU...., Friday seems an eternity away :-(, those tweets from keighley and Garnett have me pretty hyped now.

So do the review embargo's end on the US or EU release date?
US date,Eurogamer review will come in 8 hours.

lowrider007

Loudninja said:
I hope my guild come sphere tomorrow as well, I order them separately.

US date,Eurogamer review will come in 8 hours.

YES!, I can't wait until the reviews start rolling in, Eurogamers will be quite interesting, they gave 6/10 for RFoM and 9/10 for R2 :-O

Massa

lowrider007 said:
YES!, I can't wait until the reviews start rolling in, Eurogamers will be quite interesting, they gave 6/10 for RFoM and 9/10 for R2 :-O

Their RFOM review was ridiculous, not just that score but there were some glaring factual errors as well.

Dead Man

lowrider007 said:
lolwut?! Any way, I won't be getting this for a while no matter what. Even if 2 hadn't turned me right off, my funds a very limited at the moment.

DarkChild

Banned
http://mashthosebuttons.com/review/resistance-3-review/2/
4/5
Visuals

There's some funky lip-syncing an the counter-melee animation is a clumsy, bumbling mess. The game also froze up on me a couple of times. Those minor grumblings aside, Resistance 3 is competent in appearance but can't stack up to the showpiece shooters on the system.

Sound

Solid voice work and sound effects - even if Malikov's Eastern Bloc shtick is a bit hammy. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about the soundtrack, but it gets the job done.

Control

Insomniac deserves a lot of credit here for doing something that every console FPS developer should be doing, but that few actually are doing: implementing fully customizeable controls. My sole complaint is the inability to be able to toggle your scope on and off. In all other control aspects, this is what all console shooters should strive for.

Game Play

The campaign is linear and doesn't explore any territory that shooters haven't before, but it is nevertheless strong from beginning to end.

Fun

Incendiary shotgun shells, lasers that shoot through walls, electrical vortex traps, hedgehog grenades and explosive revolver bullets make for run-and-gun bliss. It's a similar formula to the previous two games in the series, but that's not at all a bad thing - especially when you factor in the new toys.

Addiction

The constant introduction of new weapons and new levels for said weapons will make players want to always keep on plowing ahead to test out their new tools of destruction until they've eradicated every enemy the game throws in their path. Multiplayer should prove a fun distraction for a few weeks or so, but isn't going to replace your online FPS mainstay(s).

LEGGZZZZ

Borrowed from the Warhammer 40k thread:

v30spi.gif

I think it sums up all of our feelings pretty well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Good review thanks!But it like people want FPS games to innovate with each new title.
This is the only part that matters to me:
Incendiary shotgun shells, lasers that shoot through walls, electrical vortex traps, hedgehog grenades and explosive revolver bullets make for run-and-gun bliss.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I wish we had the gif of the snow falling in the R:FoM thread. Those levels were atmospheric.
*goes digging in the R1 thread*

I think dcharlie posted it, and it's gone. I just played it today...the rain and snow are awesome. When you look up, it doesn't keep falling straight...it kinda fuzzes around a bit, like real precipitation.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Y2Kev said:
i think i will set up a blog so i can get games early
it's called

Gamescoopz' Haus of Reviews
Ive thought about it actually.
My shtick: I would review games from a game dev perspective.

Back to NOT reading this thread >_<

Y2Kev said:
*goes digging in the R1 thread*

I think dcharlie posted it, and it's gone. I just played it today...the rain and snow are awesome. When you look up, it doesn't keep falling straight...it kinda fuzzes around a bit, like real precipitation.

The snow had that motion blur like element falling and zig-zagging. I loved it. Especially when you're on the rooftop of those european homes and that long ass space ship in the sky. The purple sky was just eerie, too.

lowrider007

Sound

Solid voice work and sound effects - even if Malikov's Eastern Bloc shtick is a bit hammy. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about the soundtrack, but it gets the job done.

The sound track has never really stood out in the Resistance games but I'm sure on one of the Full Moon Shows they said it was intentional, apparently the composer wanted the music to be more subtle and blend in with the set pieces and what was happening on screen rather than pollute them, personally I'm a sucker for big epic music myself.

Control

Insomniac deserves a lot of credit here for doing something that every console FPS developer should be doing, but that few actually are doing: implementing fully customizable controls. My sole complaint is the inability to be able to toggle your scope on and off. In all other control aspects, this is what all console shooters should strive for.

Respect for bigging up the customizable controls.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
The sound track has never really stood out in the Resistance games but I'm sure on one of the Full Moon Shows they said it was intentional, apparently the composer wanted the music be more subtle and blend in with the set pieces and what was happening on screen rather than pollute them, personally I'm a sucker for big epic music myself.

I put this on loud:

http://youtu.be/DMCJtdT5J9c

When it kicks in, in the boat demo, it really gets me going. Especially around the one minute mark.

And I like the meloncholic parts in some of the trailers/adverts.

edit: I don't think it will matter to anybody else, but the ochestra sound like they are of some real quality. Much higher than other games. I wander who they are using...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ashes1396 said:
I put this on loud:

When it kicks in, in the boat demo, it really gets me going. Especially around the one minute mark.

This sounds great...R1 barely had music, and R2 was really military. This sounds cool.

nofi

Single player done and review submitted. Loved it, for the most part.

The visuals are spotty up close, but the scale of some of the areas is amazing and there's a few sections where the graphics are fantastic.

Way better than R2, that's for sure.

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:
This sounds great...R1 barely had music, and R2 was really military. This sounds cool.

Did you check out their little video about recording it at Abbey Road? the composer talked about what his ideas for the score were :)

Pranay

nofi said:

The visuals are spotty up close, but the scale of some of the areas is amazing and there's a few sections where the graphics are fantastic.

Thats Nice To hear :D

Loudninja

nofi said:

Excellent.

nofi

Pranay_ said:
Thats Nice To hear :D

There are some things that Insomniac do better than anyone else. I don't want to spoil anything, but some of the stuff mentioned above from RFoM is bettered in R3. =)

I just want to play it again now, which is surely a good enough sign.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ashes1396 said:
I put this on loud:

edit: I don't think it will matter to anybody else, but the ochestra sound like they are of some real quality. Much higher than other games. I wander who they are using...
Wow, this sounds a ton better than anything from the other games. Insomniac really went all out with stuff that adds to the atmosphere, didn't they?

vDaedalus

Let's go. Bullseye on deck. I'm very interested in R3's prestige mode... Also hated R2's SP but I might actually make it through this one.

Top Bottom