• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Cudder said:
There was an even better gif than that somewhere, where the player was just staring up at the sky. I couldn't find it, maybe you could though.

That's the image I was talking about, but the gif is still guuuuuud.

The old abandoned mansion or whatever it was in R1 after you exited the train station was pretty scary, too. The entrance was buried beneath snow. Hearing the footsteps and the walls making noises scared the fook out of me after

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Loudninja said:
Yep you guys not knowing that was a leaper is inexcusable.

I know what a leaper is it's just seeing it rolling about like that on a rooftop looked a little strange, I've completed RFoM countless of times I don't even remember them rolling around like balls, weird.

Looking for that snow gif is sending me crazy, I'm sure someone posted it recently.

Loudninja

lowrider007 said:
I know what a leaper is it's just seeing it rolling about like that on a rooftop looked a little strange, I've completed RFoM countless of times I don't even remember them rolling around like balls, weird.

Looking for that snow gif is sending me crazy, I'm sure someone posted it recently.
Those leapers are called Rollers, they roll around. :p

Y2Kev said:
2j0co5k.gif

i give you SNOW

best snow evaaaaaaaaaaar. Might give R1 play-though, haven't played it since launch.

I'm beginning to feel the hype pulling me into a purchase. I was slightly on the fence prior to reviews, based on being sorta disappointed with R2, but I have a feeling that 3 year development cycle might have done a lot of good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They can roll. When they first explode out of their pods, they often roll. And if you run away, they roll after you.

highrider

Banned
i'm hoping work won't feel like an eternity tomorrow. normally i would fall ill or have a doctors appointment but i already had today off. did a bunch of yard work to wear myself out. resistance and halo have given me the most hours of fun this gen as far as fps, so i'm pretty fucking excited. the positive impressions are just gravy.

patsu

Ad Infinitum said:
best snow evaaaaaaaaaaar.

;-)

You guys have it easy. I spent the whole day baby sitting kids in Great America Parkway. Arnold Swhartzneger is right. Babysitting is more difficiult than killing Terminator or being a super spy.

My hair is all messed up. My legs feel like jell-O. I have to work tonight to make time for tomorrow. Sometimes, gaming does feel like having 2 jobs. >_<

Anyhow, send some Chimeras my way tomorrow. I'll be ready after some nap. >8^O

Synless

Y2Kev said:
2j0co5k.gif

i give you SNOW
I wish they used that snow tech in their other games. Insomniac claimed to use it in R&C, but there is no way in hell they did. It hasn't been used since and I think it looks better than the snow flurries in Uncharted.

patsu

lowrider007 said:

You saw them in a couple of places...

[taking shower, close eyes, meditate with iPad in one hand]

Inside and outside the shopping mall. They led the charge with a few Hybrids herding/following them.

I remember I saw them in the alien tunnel once or twice.

They might have appeared right after Nathan Hale escaped from the Chimeran factory in RFOM too.

Persona7

Banned
Synless said:
I wish they used that snow tech in their other games. Insomniac claimed to use it in R&C, but there is no way in hell they did. It hasn't been used since and I think it looks better than the snow flurries in Uncharted.
Isn't there a snow level in Tools of destruction?

Synless

Persona7 said:
Isn't there a snow level in Tools of destruction?
Yeah, it's not even close to looking as good as the snow that falls in R1, that's why I said they didn't use the same tech in my OP.

Because of Gamestop's Steal of the Week, and the fact that I'm still inexplicably on my store's payroll despite not having worked there in three weeks, I just picked up R:FoM for $3.74. Let's see how this bitch rolls!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Synless said:
So many people went crazy over that snow in Resistance, but I never thought it looked that great. I got there and thought, "that's it...?". Nowhere close as good looking as snow in UC2, MGS4 or ZOE2 for that matter.

JB1981

Lord Error said:
So many people went crazy over that snow in Resistance, but I never thought it looked that great. I got there and thought, "that's it...?". Nowhere close as good looking as snow in UC2, MGS4 or ZOE2 for that matter.

i know i never understood it either

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ZOE2? Nice particle effects, true, but it also killed the framerate.

I think the snow just moves so realistically. MGS4 is just BRUTE FORCE SNOW and I don't even remember it in UC2.

Y2Kev said:
ZOE2? Nice particle effects, true, but it also killed the framerate.

I think the snow just moves so realistically. MGS4 is just BRUTE FORCE SNOW and I don't even remember it in UC2.

Ahh, I remember Anubis' framerate-killing ranged burst attack :D

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Massa said:
Their RFOM review was ridiculous, not just that score but there were some glaring factual errors as well.

RFOM was at the time of the PS3 hate sweeping the media. I look back at the launch year and still feel that PS3 games were treated very poorly... RFOM, Uncharted 1, Ratchet and Clank were all good games and I personally also enjoyed Heavenly Sword.

IMO even though R2 had more content, RFOM was a much better game which is funny to me considering the reviews. R3, despite the three year development cycle, seems to have had less people on it with a relatively short campaign and "just" a smaller scale MP mode when in this day everyone expects co-op mp for big titles (like Gears, Uncharted, COD, BF3 and so on). Not knocking R3 though, the beta was a lot of fun when it started working properly and I can't wait for the SP campaign (in 3D flavor, which I am very happy this game supports).

darkwing

how does the co-op play treated? is it like FoM? i mean the story progression, can you go SP where you left off in co-op mode, and vice versa

Ashes

Banned
Lord Error said:

It wasn't the 'hi-tech' snow for people like me though. It was more the experience at the time of the game. It was just suddenly there. I love falling snow perhaps. I don't know :/

Kinda like the beginning of MGS 1, the credits roll as you are playing, like a movie; or when he breathes out misty air.

It's small, I know, but it breathes a bit of life into a game, no?

Synless

Lord Error said:
Th snow on the ground was terrible, but the falling snow is some of the most realistic snow I have ever seen. Uncharted 3 and MGS4 in no way matched how good that falling snow looked.

I have to be honest, the three-year development cycle has raised expectations, which strangely I'm not sure will be met. This is probably a point better brought up after we've all played the game, but from early reviews and the beta, I'm not really seeing where that extra year went.

Especially if the campaign is 'short' and 'doesn't have a ton of fresh ideas,' as some people have already said.

LEGGZZZZ

CartridgeBlower said:
I have to be honest, the three-year development cycle has raised expectations, which strangely I'm not sure will be met. This is probably a point better brought up after we've all played the game, but from early reviews and the beta, I'm not really seeing where that extra year went.

Especially if the campaign is 'short' and 'doesn't have a ton of fresh ideas,' as some people have already said.

I think it's more so the level of polish of campaign and multiplayer this time around, as opposed to actually innovation. At the end of the day, I'd rather take a better, more polished campaign and multiplayer experience then a decent/sub par attempt at creating something "new" and "fresh" that brings the game down (ala Resistance 2).

If anything, games like Killzone 3 should also learn from this development decision.

patsu

Ashes1396 said:
It wasn't the 'hi-tech' snow for people like me though. It was more the experience at the time of the game. It was just suddenly there. I love falling snow perhaps. I don't know :/

Kinda like the beginning of MGS 1, the credits roll as you are playing, like a movie; or when he breathes out misty air.

It's small, I know, but it breathes a bit of life into a game, no?

Yesh sir... You emerged from the long, intricate tunnel system looking for the source of troubles, and then you see it right there. Your journey may be ending soon one way or another. Throughout the campaign, the game changes from greyish brown to brownish blue to bluish white. ^_^.

It was at the beginning of the Console Cold War, no one has really seen what Cell could do yet. The convincing falling snow and breakable glass gave an early glimpse.

If you look at the world with just numbers and dollars, then never mind. MGS4 is pretty good too coz in the midst of the blizzard, you see the MGS1 level looming in front of you suddenly, and then "The Best is Yet to Come" kicks in.

EDIT:
Nevertheless, I know why Snow is brought up again here. ;-)

Thunderbear said:
RFOM was at the time of the PS3 hate sweeping the media. I look back at the launch year and still feel that PS3 games were treated very poorly... RFOM, Uncharted 1, Ratchet and Clank were all good games and I personally also enjoyed Heavenly Sword.

IMO even though R2 had more content, RFOM was a much better game which is funny to me considering the reviews. R3, despite the three year development cycle, seems to have had less people on it with a relatively short campaign and "just" a smaller scale MP mode when in this day everyone expects co-op mp for big titles (like Gears, Uncharted, COD, BF3 and so on). Not knocking R3 though, the beta was a lot of fun when it started working properly and I can't wait for the SP campaign (in 3D flavor, which I am very happy this game supports).

By far, the most common garbage compliant was "Not worth $600!"

HS was iffy, but U1, R&C, and RFOM were all great games that caught some of that and it had nothing to do with the quality of the game in 3 of those cases.

Hopefully R3 is good, and the connection issues are fixed for the mp.

Trevelyan

Banned
jstevenson said:
Officially released on East coast. Woo-hoo!
When is the review embargo up? The game is on it's way from Amazon now, but still, I enjoy seeing the reviews, haha. Congrats btw, Jstevenson, and to Insomniac on what I'm sure is a spectacular game!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Trevelyan said:
When is the review embargo up? The game is on it's way from Amazon now, but still, I enjoy seeing the reviews, haha. Congrats btw, Jstevenson, and to Insomniac on what I'm sure is a spectacular game!

early tomorrow morning PST... might be 6am, might be a few hours later, I honestly don't know.

highly interested to read them myself

Congratulations JS and the team at Insomniac. Really hope this game gets some 9 - 9.5's in the reviews. The campaign footage I saw today on youtube looked incredible.

Picking up my copy at lunch tomorrow.

Also what actually happened with all the special editions being in Europe? We should really have had a version of the game somewhere between standard and the doomsday edition with at least a steel case.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What happened to jstevenson mod status :(?

patsu

CartridgeBlower said:

After R2, many gamers demanded Insomniac take more time to make games. People would be very very skeptical if Insomniac roll out R3 in 2 years like before. I don't think there is any universal expectation level. e.g., Some dude above mentioned/assumed that general expectation is low, while you think expectation is high.

Also fresh idea is a scary thought in R2... ^_^
We want old ideas from RFOM to return, and then sprinkle some new ideas on top.

Top Bottom