• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Ashes

Banned
patsu said:
Yesh sir... You emerged from the long, intricate tunnel system looking for the source of troubles, and then you see it right there. Your journey may be ending soon one way or another. Throughout the campaign, the game changes from greyish brown to brownish blue to bluish white. ^_^.

It was at the beginning of the Console Cold War, no one has really seen what Cell could do yet. The convincing falling snow and breakable glass gave an early glimpse.

If you look at the world with just numbers and dollars, then never mind. MGS4 is pretty good too coz in the midst of the blizzard, you see the MGS1 level looming in front of you suddenly, and then "The Best is Yet to Come" kicks in.

EDIT:
Nevertheless, I know why Snow is brought up again here. ;-)

;)

edit: OT/
ooh looking for stuff on youtube, I just found this:
http://youtu.be/ojDkv_Jqkvs

patsu

If one is looking for "high performance" snow (use up lots of bandwidth, CPU/GPU cycles), then the one in RFOM seems pretty mild (though still convinclng). It's like a normal winter day, sometimes light snow, some times more heavy.

U2NUMB

Awww a 656mb patch? Yuck..

Ok well I had an interesting Gamestop experience. 65 people there or so.. I was the ONLY one there to pick up Resistance. Is the zombie craze still that strong? Anyways they pretty much singled me out and made fun of me for picking up Resistance over Dead Island.. The staff of Gamestop even.

Well looking forward to a game or two before bed.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
U2NUMB said:

Ok well I had an interesting Gamestop experience. 65 people there or so.. I was the ONLY one there to pick up Resistance. Is the zombie craze still that strong? Anyways they pretty much singled me out and made fun of me for picking up Resistance over Dead Island.. The staff of Gamestop even.

wow. that even blows my mind a bit

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow... ERP DERP MULTIPLATFORM HYPE, HOW CAN YOU BUY SOMETHING ON THE PREYSTA$ION 3. IMA GO HOME AND PLAY SOME SHOOTAHZ WITH MY BUDIES, SHOOT SOME ZOMBIEEEZ IN DA FACE

Ugh, fuck that shit. Gamestop strikes again. In fact, I was considering buying Dead Island before. Not anymore though.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
U2NUMB said:

wut?!

Must be predominantly 360 users surely? did you clock if that was the case or not?

U2NUMB said:

They made fun of you, but you get the last laugh. You are playing the better game right now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
U2NUMB said:

Awful. No one should be ridiculed regardless of what the game is, especially by staff. I would report those idiots.

U2NUMB said:

Should have bitch slapped them.

U2NUMB

lowrider007 said:
wut?!

Must be predominantly 360 users surely? did you clock if that was the case or not?

Based on the stack of games I would say it was 80% 360 to 20% PS3 dead island crowd.

Even at midnight when I went to actually grab the game the gamestop dude said "Last chance to get the good game tonight"

The only good thing is as they first made me out to the the only Resistance guy they gave me a few of those cheap free necklaces. Sadly they are very cheap. The rest they literally just threw them in the air for anyone else to get. That was their Resistance pre order bonus.

patsu

jstevenson said:
wow. that even blows my mind a bit

jstevenson. Don't be surprised. It is true.

A few of us have experienced it even in the chatroom.

But we managed to drag one or two into the beta with us and had some fun together.

They are not kids, but somehow fell into this abyss of hate for reasons beyond me.

It's probably tough since we are going to swarm your servers. Make sure your servers are up and stable. ^_^

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
U2NUMB said:
The only good thing is as they first made me out to the the only Resistance guy they gave me a few of those cheap free necklaces. Sadly they are very cheap. The rest they literally just threw them in the air for anyone else to get. That was their Resistance pre order bonus.
I'm outta this thread. I might just get banned for whatever I'm about to say.

I'll be back 9th when it's released in EU.

Ashes

Banned
theBishop said:
Fingers-crossed. Dead Island is getting poor reviews, right?

Nahh. Except for the one eurogamer review, its doing alright. People seem to be bitching about the pc version in the other thread though. So I'll probably wait it out myself.

U2NUMB

Gonna be nearly 1am by the time I get the game fired up. This patching and install process is a bit of a bummer. At least it is only one and done.

Anyone else online right now? How are the servers working?

U2NUMB said:
Based on the stack of games I would say it was 80% 360 to 20% PS3 dead island crowd.

Even at midnight when I went to actually grab the game the gamestop dude said "Last chance to get the good game tonight"

I only ran into that once in L.A., but that's easy to shut down, especially if it's the employees talking shit.

patsu

U2NUMB said:

You should report the GameStop staff if he ridiculed you as well. His management would be interested to improve their organization and staff performance (I would be interested if I were running the show !).

U2NUMB

patsu said:
You should report the GameStop staff if he ridiculed you as well. His management would be interested to improve their organization and staff performance (I would be interested if I were running the show !).

The store manager was standing behind him. It was a good ole boys club.

They were of course half joking but it certainly made me uncomfortable.

Anyways.. enjoying the game right off the bat. Smooth as hell!

newjeruse

U2NUMB said:

Are people seriously excited about Dead Island? I haven't even heard about it since that first trailer.

Duffyside

Banned
So how can reviews come out on Tuesday when there isn't a multiplayer community until about Wednesday? No, I'm not new to this review ish: but often these games have events to show that stuff off. Resistance 3 didn't have one of those, did it?

Synless said:
I can't believe people don't find that snow impressive. Seriously, it's top notch.

The best snow in a video game... ever. I remember stepping out of the tunnel and in the blowing snow and it just blew me away. I stopped playing for a while and just admired the snow blowing around. Not only does it look real, but it just brings the atmosphere together too.

newjeruse said:
Are people seriously excited about Dead Island? I haven't even heard about it since that first trailer.

I'm picking up Dead Island tomorrow and I have Resistance coming from Amazon. I'm pretty pumped about both.

Ashes

Banned
newjeruse said:

I have a feeling Dead Island is gonna walk all over R3 in the first week at least. Lucky for Resistance that it is a Sony published title. Its gonna be a rough shod ride me thinks though.

duffyside said:
So how can reviews come out on Tuesday when there isn't a multiplayer community until about Wednesday? No, I'm not new to this review ish: but often these games have events to show that stuff off. Resistance 3 didn't have one of those, did it?

There was that beta for months and months. I keep hearing about a day 1 patch though, so it might be that. Who knows whether its pr or both?

Duffyside

Banned
Got the Shakes said:
I'm picking up Dead Island tomorrow and I have Resistance coming from Amazon. I'm pretty pumped about both.
Yeah, me too. I can't wait to throw my daughter out the mother fucking window!

... whut.

Aeon712

I wanna pick my copy up tomorrow but my sister has decided to come to my new place tofix up my room and bathroom >_<.

mujun

Don't people find it hypocritical (or ironic perhaps) how people are getting incensed about the Gamestop story and then going on to make comments like:

"Don't worry you are playing the better game"

"Wow... ERP DERP MULTIPLATFORM HYPE, HOW CAN YOU BUY SOMETHING ON THE PREYSTA$ION 3. IMA GO HOME AND PLAY SOME SHOOTAHZ WITH MY BUDIES, SHOOT SOME ZOMBIEEEZ IN DA FACE"

I'm not trying to troll, it just strikes me as incredibly hypocritical and the type of thing that really ruins an OT.

patsu

duffyside said:

The Online Pass, day 1 patch, and production servers are up and running. Those who got it early are already playing MP to get a head start.

I heard some people flew to Insomniac to play R3 too.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
duffyside said:

We set up multiple sessions for press to play with us.

patsu

mujun said:
Don't people find it hypocritical (or ironic perhaps) how people are getting incensed about the Gamestop story and then going on to make comments like:

"Don't worry you are playing the better game"

"Wow... ERP DERP MULTIPLATFORM HYPE, HOW CAN YOU BUY SOMETHING ON THE PREYSTA$ION 3. IMA GO HOME AND PLAY SOME SHOOTAHZ WITH MY BUDIES, SHOOT SOME ZOMBIEEEZ IN DA FACE"

I'm not trying to troll, it just strikes me as incredibly hypocritical and the type of thing that really ruins an OT.

On the net, people hide behind their nicks, and throw sh*t at each other all the time when provoked.

When appearing in person, some basic courtesy should be expected especially if you're running a shop. I don't think he went in to ridicule the other people in the store first. He simply showed up to pick up a game he likes.

Ashes

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
So how long is the campaign on this?

Hard to say cause the game doesn't measure parts you die in. Who knows why that is?

So taking that in consideration, the game is around 7/8/9/10 hours length completion time or so some people say the game claims. I got no clue what the real time frame is!

One thing is for sure. This ain't a very long game.

That reminds me. If you are starting now or about to start, just keep a check on the time outside the game please...

J.S. said it's about the same or little less than the first two games, so I ain't worried any more. Still gonna play it on hard come first play through.

Funny thing is, I'm caring less and less about how long the game is, even as I write this post. :p

theBishop

Banned
theBishop said:
I'm 47% done downloading the 700MB day-1 patch. I hear a lengthy install follows. Lucky if I can post any impressions tonight.

And the install has just completed. A scant hour after putting the disc in, I can finally play. That's one huge sandwich!

Bollocks

Not gonna lie but even I considered Dead Island in favor of Resistance 3.
Normally I would buy Resistance 3 hands down but Dead Island also offered Coop. (something that is huge to me and mostly the deciding factor for which game I should buy nowadays)
DI setting is interesting and the previews also looked good but in the end the deciding factor was the developer. No matter how good DI will be, in the end it's still Techland we're talking about, their engines never excelled in anything and the games were always mediocre.
In contrast Insomniac Games with the Sony 1st party dev quality bar, PS3 exclusive, Move Support and so on.
It was then where I wished that someone would hit me if I raise doubts like that again.

Bollocks said:
Normally I would buy Resistance 3 hands down but Dead Island also offered Coop. (something that is huge to me and mostly the deciding factor for which game I should buy nowadays)
DI setting is interesting and the previews also looked good but in the end the deciding factor was the developer. No matter how good DI will be, in the end it's still Techland we're talking about, their engines never excelled in anything and the games were always mediocre.
In contrast Insomniac Games with the Sony 1st party dev quality bar, PS3 exclusive, Move Support and so on.
It was then where I wished that someone would hit me if I raise doubts like that again.
Resistance 3 doesn't have co-op?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bollocks said:

we offer campaign co-op through the entire game online and/or split-screen?

mujun

patsu said:
On the net, people hide behind their nicks, and throw sh*t at each other all the time when provoked.

When appearing in person, some basic courtesy should be expected especially if you're running a shop. I don't think he went in to ridicule the other people in the store first. He simply showed up to pick up a game he likes.

Nicks or not there is no point in disparaging Dead Island just because some people who chose it over R3 are idiots.

patsu

mujun said:
Nicks or not there is no point in disparaging Dead Island just because some people who chose it over R3 are idiots.

... and he knows he has misspoke:

Yoshichan said:
I'm outta this thread. I might just get banned for whatever I'm about to say.

I'll be back 9th when it's released in EU.

These are comments made while provoked.

The other case is a walk-in.

mujun said:
Perhaps you're taking the comments to seriously? Just showing support for our fellow gamer. No one went into the Dead Island thread to troll or disparage the game.

Top Bottom