• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Bollocks

jstevenson said:
we offer campaign co-op through the entire game online and/or split-screen?
Sorry my mistake
Normally I would buy Resistance 3 hands down but Dead Island too offered Coop
was what I really wanted to say!

After all it was you who told me that all the SP trophies can be done in coop so at this point it was pretty much sealed :)

madmackem

I wonder how much hope there is for a classic map pack, rfom had some epic multi player maps id love to see given a lick of paint and brought back.

patsu

duffyside said:
Thanks patsu and jstevenson. Nice to have such quick and helpful feedback.

No need to thank. Someone on my friends list was already playing R3 a night or two ago. So I asked. ^_^

Loudninja

Eurogamer loves the maps
It's the maps which maketh the game in multiplayer shooters, and Insomniac's work here rivals masters of the form like DICE. Most of the 12 maps are drawn from campaign locations but there are also surprises hinting at the global battle which provides the game's
They're all fine examples of multiplayer design, juggling interiors and exteriors, cover points and open ground, vantage points and rat runs. Regardless of the game mode, it's a pleasure to explore them.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-05-resistance-3-review?page=2

newjeruse said:
Are people seriously excited about Dead Island? I haven't even heard about it since that first trailer.

That trailer was the only impressive thing I've seen on Dead Island, and it was pre-rendered up the wazoo. The twenty minutes of gameplay on MTV Multiplayer looked like crap. I could not be less interested in that game any further. But people are into that sort of thing I guess, so more power to them.

Jaroof

Wow. O_O
This game is gorgeous. I played up to Chapter 6 tonight, and I'm REALLY impressed with the visuals. The artstyle is amazing. I can't believe how much of a step up from R2 this is.
It looks great.

The gunplay is really good, too.. although, I gave up on the Move controls from the start. It seemed.. off. I'll try it again, but it just felt so different from KZ3's.

Bradach

Square Triangle said:
What are the impressions on the Sharpshooter? Thinking about getting it now with Resistance 3.
I've tried it with KZ3 and SOCOM 4 and i couldn't get it to work well. The main problem i found is having to move it so much to move the screen. With move in hand its easy to flick the screen around but with the sharpshooter you have to either move your upper body (if its braced against your shoulder) or move the sharpehooter only (if its free floating). either way i found it tiring very quickly. i spent a good while tweaking settings but i couldn't get past this problem. In the end i found using move in hand both more comforatble and quicker. that said, I'm going to give R3 a chance with sharpshooter and if i have the same problems i'll be selling it.

Square Triangle said:
What are the impressions on the Sharpshooter? Thinking about getting it now with Resistance 3.

I've yet to try with Resistance 3, but my experience with it in KZ3 was probably the best aspect of the game. But I have to say it takes a while to get used to play with Move+Sharpshooter, but at the end is very good. Can't wait to try with Resistance 3!

Just got my copy. Region 3

It's has some bonus content for download, I think it's the stuff that people got from playing in the beta. Coolest thing though is that the cover is reversible. Real minimal with the skull logo and whatever the main guy's name is walking towards it.

Dave1988

Finished the SP campaing a few minutes ago. I feel that it's pretty middle of the road actually. It's not bad but it never really gets great either. R3's campaing is set up like a summer blockbuster flick: moving from one scripted set piece to the other intertwined with killrooms. That's nice and all but this game didn't really make me go "wow! This is awesome!" at any point.

It doesn't help that the story is so-so at best. I know I'm supposed to care about the plight of the people facing extinction but I just can't. Most of the people you meet come and go or are there only to push the story forward. You never really start caring about any of them. Heck, I didn't even care about Capelli. He wasn't an interesting character in R2 and he still isn't very interesting in R3 (The fact that he doesn't utter a single word outside of cutscenes doesn't really help). I was hoping to learn more about the Chimera but I guess Insomniac is happy with packing that info into intel scattered across the levels rather than incorporating it into their "go on a suicide mission to save your family and the world" story. Actually, it felt more like a road trip than a suicide mission. Capelli went on a trip across America to blow shit up and kill Chimera. Good times were had by all. It kinda reminds me of the R2 where you learn that a large human settlement was wiped out by Chimera and I guess it's supposed to elicit some kind of emotional response from you but all it did was to make me go "wait, am I supposed to care about this?" I have similar feelings about the ending. R3 just kinda ends while still leaving a gate open so Insomniac can milk the franchise further. I do have to give you props for hiring Paul Eiding to voice one of the characters in the game. Hearing "the colonel" speaking to you over radio was awesome ;)

Now, enough of the story ramblings. Who plays FPS games for the story, right? Let's talk about the technical side of things. I do have to say that you guys did a terrific job with the lighting system in the game. It looks really great and helps mask the not-so-great textures. I think the most stand out moments of the lighting engine you have are
subway parts of New York and the interior of the Terraformer.
The particle effects are also very good. I especially loved
falling snow in the Now York level.
I'm also relieved that the game isn't a blurry mess like the beta was. However, I'm surprised you that guys didn't fix the ladder climbing animation. It looks terribe.

I suppose I should also write about about the gunplay. I'll be blunt; I feel it's light years away from being as good as that found in other contemporary shooters like Killzone or Battlefield. In those game shooting feels really good. There's a sense of weight there, a sense that you're fireing an actual gun. In Resistance 3 I feel that I'm running around with gimmicky toy guns that "pew pew" Chimera into smithereens. The guns, for the most part, sound and feel weak, and I could totally see them being included in a grittier version of Ratchet & Clank. I'd say that the gunplay in the Resistance series didn't progress past R:FoM. And while such gunplay would be sufficient in 2007, it isn't enough in 2011.

Well, that's my two cents about the campaing mode. It wasn't by any means bad but I doubt people will care about after an initail playthrough or two. I'd like to try out story co-op with my buddies but it seems that the stupid Sony online pass can't be redeemed yet. Guess I'll have to wait for the store update this week. *grumbles*

LifEndz

madmackem said:
I wonder how much hope there is for a classic map pack, rfom had some epic multi player maps id love to see given a lick of paint and brought back.

Incredible idea. Would love to have the subway map from the first game.

Thrakier

Jaroof said:
Wow. O_O
This game is gorgeous. I played up to Chapter 6 tonight, and I'm REALLY impressed with the visuals. The artstyle is amazing. I can't believe how much of a step up from R2 this is.
It looks great.

The gunplay is really good, too.. although, I gave up on the Move controls from the start. It seemed.. off. I'll try it again, but it just felt so different from KZ3's.

Can't wait for the demo. What was the problem with move? The weird perspective? It's a pitty if it's not as good as the KZ3 implementation, because that alone made KZ3 enjoyable.

madmackem

LifEndz said:
Incredible idea. Would love to have the subway map from the first game.

I loved bus yard and roof tops, there were some really good maps on rfom some of the most varied still on an fps.

Loudninja

I cant agree with the gunplay comments at all, its really fantastic in R3 every weapon feels destructive and they have nice weight to them without feeling sluggish.

Dave1988

Thrakier said:
Can't wait for the demo. What was the problem with move? The weird perspective? It's a pitty if it's not as good as the KZ3 implementation, because that alone made KZ3 enjoyable.

Using Ironsights with the Move is off, too. It feels kinda sluggish and it moves in a weird way. TTP described the problem in his R3 Move video.

Loudninja said:
I cant with agree with the gunplay comments at all, its really fantastic in R3 every weapon feels destructive and they have nice weight to them without feeling sluggish.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. Sure, when R3's gunplay isn't compared to any other shooter it holds up but when going against the best it's just doesn't cut it at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's rather disappointing to hear. The Move controls in KZ3 were sublime. Without a doubt the single best example of a motion controlled FPS to date. It felt absolutely wonderful.

I was really hoping Resistance 3 would be as good in that regard.

Dave1988

dark10x said:
That's rather disappointing to hear. The Move controls in KZ3 were sublime. Without a doubt the single best example of a motion controlled FPS to date. It felt absolutely wonderful.

I was really hoping Resistance 3 would be as good in that regard.

I think it might be as good as KZ3 Move implementation after a patch or two. Didn't js say that they're working on patching up Move controls?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Resistance 3 DLC in October

Sony’s announced the first bit of DLC for Insomniac’s Resistance 3, which is being overwhelmed by positive reviews as we speak.

Going for $3.99 starting October 4th, the Survival DLC pack features “a brand new multiplayer Invasion mode which challenges humans and Chimera to capture and hold multiple control points for as long as possible.”

A Survival multiplayer skin and a bonus Survival XMB theme is also thrown in for good measure.

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2011/09/06/resistance-3-dlc-in-october/

Just a mode? Or extra maps as well?

Thrakier

Dave1988 said:
Using Ironsights with the Move is off, too. It feels kinda sluggish and it moves in a weird way. TTP described the problem in his R3 Move video.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. Sure, when R3's gunplay isn't compared to any other shooter it holds up but when going against the best it's just doesn't cut it at all.

Yeah, that's because they chose to make it "drag" and not "point". Maybe to keep a better balance in MP? I don't know.

I do agree that Resistances Gunplay feels "weak" in compariosn to other shooters, however I feel that this is the style of the game. I'm fine with it, it's like a Ratchet & Clank shooter game. Not every game needs to feel heavy and what not. I'm annoyed by the carbine though, that really could be a bit better. However in the beta I think the last upgrade brought a nice high pitched "clank clank clank" sound to it which made it feel more powerful. I maybe wrong though.

Dave1988 said:
I think it might be as good as KZ3 Move implementation after a patch or two. Didn't js say that they're working on patching up Move controls?

No, he basically ignored all questions regarding move...also regarding the perspective.

Dave1988 said:
Finished the SP campaing a few minutes ago. I feel that it's pretty middle of the road actually. It's not bad but it never really gets great either.

Going to have to pass then. I've read this too many times now and my days of spending $60 on "just okay" single player modes are long behind me. Games like this make great rentals, not purchases, much was the case with Killzone 3.

Sure, there's always the chance that I would like it more, but with the 2-3 other games that also released today that I'm interested in with longer playtimes and a lot more content, I'm not sure that I can justify the buy at this point. Bummer.

Gamefly it is! Still excited to play it though.

I can't wait to pick this up tonight. It's so nice to hear that the campaign was given the love and attention it deserves as I don't expect R3 to fulfill my multiplayer FPS needs this holiday season. I've always played Resistance games for their campaigns though and this one looks to have some incredible potential.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Any good review to read about the MP without SP spoilers?

Cant wait !! >_<

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Shit, Amazon hasn't even shipped my copy and I preordered on the 26th. Release day delivery my ass!

Looks like I have to buy the fucker twice, albeit temporarily until Amazon refunds me. There is no way I'm not playing this game when I get home tonight.

Cornbread78

I miss the BETA already. I'm gonna have to wait two weeks (at least) until I get paid to join ya'll online. Keep on killin' and chillin' for me....

Dyno

Dave1988 said:
Finished the SP campaing a few minutes ago. I feel that it's pretty middle of the road actually. It's not bad but it never really gets great either. R3's campaing is set up like a summer blockbuster flick: moving from one scripted set piece to the other intertwined with killrooms. That's nice and all but this game didn't really make me go "wow! This is awesome!" at any point.

Thanks for the impressions. Totally sitting this one out it seems. I finally got around to playing the MP beta and it was basically shit all around. Horrible animations, bad envrionments, and forgettable gunplay. The genre has moved way beyond what they offer.

If the SP is what you say it is then they haven't changed much since R2. Pass.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
People are now putting down Resistance's gun-play wtf?, it may not the best of the best but it's always been good, it certainly doesn't feel "weak", unless that's changed in R3 but judging from the beta I thought the weapons felt great perhaps I'm missing something.

It doesn't help that the story is so-so at best. I know I'm supposed to care about the plight of the people facing extinction but I just can't. Most of the people you meet come and go or are there only to push the story forward. You never really start caring about any of them. Heck, I didn't even care about Capelli. He wasn't an interesting character in R2 and he still isn't very interesting in R3 (The fact that he doesn't utter a single word outside of cutscenes doesn't really help). I was hoping to learn more about the Chimera but I guess Insomniac is happy with packing that info into intel scattered across the levels rather than incorporating it into their "go on a suicide mission to save to your family and the world" story. Actually, it felt more like a road trip than a suicide mission. Capelli went on a trip across America to blow shit up and kill Chimera. Good times were had by all. It kinda reminds me of the R2 where you learn that a large human settlement was wiped out by Chimera and I guess it's supposed to ellicit some kind of emotional response from you but all it did was to make me go "wait, am I supposed to care about this?" I have similar feelings about the ending. R3 just kinda ends while still leaving a gate open so Insomniac can milk the franchise further. I do have to give you props for hiring Paul Eiding to voice one of the characters in the game. Hearing "the colonel" speaking to you over radio was awesome ;)

Sadface =(

This is exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do again
Still, gotta play it and see for myself

Top Bottom