• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
there are a few bugs that are caused by various things we didn't see in testing here / live environment / more players etc.
Ok thanks, I hope it gets fix for everyone that are having issues.

Stantron

jstevenson said:
We've found several more of the hitching issues, they'll be coming in another patch. We've got two more planned, 1.04 has the Move fix among some other things, a bunch more lag / frame / hitch fixes in 1.05 tho.
Good to know. Thx for the update.

DigiMish

So whats the deal with the shields (both the perk and the killstreak)? Does it completely negate damage, or a specific portion of it? Insomniac did a terrible job explaining this.

Loudninja

DigiMish said:
So whats the deal with the shields (both the perk and the killstreak)? Does it completely negate damage, or a specific portion of it? Insomniac did a terrible job explaining this.
No damage while you are inside the bubble shield, people cannot shoot at you from inside as well.

patsu

Loudninja said:
Is is their any reason why the patch didn't work the same for everyone?

*If* it's a threading bug, the problem will depend on the order and timing of events (e.g., speed of your network, order of overlapping activities)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
test_account said:
Regarding the
Satan fight
, out of curiousity, what did you feel was missing? Personally i felt that it was a good enough continuity there. First
you get "shot down" by dropships, so you land in the outskirt of this random town. You walk towards this town. In this town there is a train, which you need to get further to New York, but the train doesnt work. The only guy who can fix the train is missing. The town's big problem is the creature called Satan. You go out trying to find the guy who can fix the train, then you go and fight Satan. After you beat him, you take the guy back ot the town, he fixes the train. So you saved (well, partly at least) the town, you brought this guy back to safety and your on your way towards New York again. I thought it was a good closure, especially when he asks the guy to do a prayer for them while the train starts to move (maybe a bit cliché, but it worked in my opinion).
:)

My biggest gripe with that section wasn't how it played out. The end of the level was a lot of fun to play. I completely understood what happened, but after
you killed Satan I expected there to be some conversation between the protagonist and the community of "people of God". Instead, we just end up at the train, boarding it and saying goodbye. There was no pause after you killed Satan, literally the second after you killed him you ended up at the train. I wanted a little segment, like the people saying "thank you for riding us of that horrible demon, God was right to send you to us and God will protect you in your journey to come" (I don't believe in God or anything, my point is that I felt it needed some closure like that, the jump to the train just felt too abrupt).
It's a very minor gripe but I felt this happened a couple of times in the game.

Thunderbear

Melchiah said:
I strongly disagree. Combined with the sombre music, and the
frozen and barren landscape
it felt truly epic and ominous for me.

BTW, I wonder why no-one has spoken positively about the
fight with Satan
. I found it extremely entertaining, a LOT better than any of the
bossfights in R2

It was a very fun
"Jaws" inspired fight, no doubt! As for the wormhole, I liked the scale of it and the way it felt huge.
What bothered me was how poorly it was done. The art was really bad. It looked way, way nicer in the CG cut-scene from a design point of view and they really missed that in the in-game version.
In the middle of the wormhole it should have been completely dark as if you're looking into space (because we were). If we were in a snowy environment, and the clouds separated and revealed space it would look a lot darker.
I mean, they did a great job in the cut-scene and there's no reason they couldn't have achieved a similar look in-game.

Thunderbear said:
My biggest gripe with that section wasn't how it played out. The end of the level was a lot of fun to play. I completely understood what happened, but after
you killed Satan I expected there to be some conversation between the protagonist and the community of "people of God". Instead, we just end up at the train, boarding it and saying goodbye. There was no pause after you killed Satan, literally the second after you killed him you ended up at the train. I wanted a little segment, like the people saying "thank you for riding us of that horrible demon, God was right to send you to us and God will protect you in your journey to come" (I don't believe in God or anything, my point is that I felt it needed some closure like that, the jump to the train just felt too abrupt).

In the IGN Spoilercast it was mentioned that
they considered having all the people you've helped to show up and fight together at the tower (pretty much saying "hey, you helped us, now it's time for us to return the favor). Sadly, they weren't able to implement it in a satisfying way. I would have loved to see R3 end like that and it would also haven given a bit more closure to the events/people encountered on the way. On the other hand, I did like how it looks that yet another protagonist is going to die, but still manages to go back to his wife and kid

Grinchy

Banned
patsu said:
*If* it's a threading bug, the problem will depend on the order and timing of events (e.g., speed of your network, order of overlapping activities)
This is why I try not to get upset when games don't properly work right away. I have no idea if this is even English. Everything in game-making sounds so complex to a person like me who knows nothing about it.

Grinchy said:
This is why I try not to get upset when games don't properly work right away. I have no idea if this is even English. Everything in game-making sounds so complex to a person like me who knows nothing about it.

It is English, but refers to a programming concept. Threading just means that you have multiple instances running at the same time that act mostly independent from each other. Imagine a group of workers who can do the same thing at different places at the same time. Those workers just look if there is a job for them to do, take it and start off. It becomes interesting if there are not enough tools for all workers to use at the same time or if one worker has to wait for another to finish his job first.

Since this is running in a virtual environment, the amount of workers can be dynamic and that can be pretty hard to debug if you don't know exactly what went wrong at a certain time for each single worker.

It's a very simple explanation though and there are a lot more technical pitfalls, but it should give you a good idea of what is meant.

Darkatomz

jstevenson said:
We've found several more of the hitching issues, they'll be coming in another patch. We've got two more planned, 1.04 has the Move fix among some other things, a bunch more lag / frame / hitch fixes in 1.05 tho.
Is there a timeline you can give us?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just rented this on redbox hoping to play coop with a buddy.

Started game, called friend to get on and blamo I get greeted with a psn pass code that I don't have :'(

I completely forgot this game used the online pass code. This sucks.

anyone got a code they don't use ;-)

edit- friend came through :)

Melchiah

Odd. The MP titles, skins and artwork I had unlocked before were locked again yesterday, and the points restored, but the cheats and videos I had unlocked were as before. Well, no matter as the points that were restored, were enough for unlocking another cheat I had been aiming for. =)

Also, on my profile in Global Resistance there was before that my team had won one war, and the 'humans' art was unlocked in R3, but now GR shows that my team hasn't won a war and the art is greyed. =/

test_account

XP-39C²
Thunderbear said:
I understand, fair enough :)

Thunderbear

kingschiebi said:
In the IGN Spoilercast it was mentioned that
they considered having all the people you've helped to show up and fight together at the tower (pretty much saying "hey, you helped us, now it's time for us to return the favor). Sadly, they weren't able to implement it in a satisfying way. I would have loved to see R3 end like that and it would also haven given a bit more closure to the events/people encountered on the way. On the other hand, I did like how it looks that yet another protagonist is going to die, but still manages to go back to his wife and kid

Agree with all of what you said :). I didn't know that they had planned that, that did sound awesome and very fitting to the theme/story.

NBtoaster

Melchiah said:
I strongly disagree. Combined with the sombre music, and the
frozen and barren landscape
it felt truly epic and ominous for me.

BTW, I wonder why no-one has spoken positively about the
fight with Satan
. I found it extremely entertaining, a LOT better than any of the
bossfights in R2

[ending spoil]
That fight was great, makes it weirder how there was nothing like that at the end of the game. I know it was a throwback to Resistace 1's ending fight, but it just felt easy and didn't really feel too different to the last Brawler battle. Would have loved a proper ending boss.

Melchiah

Is my memory just playing tricks on me, or was there added radio transmissions in the beginning of the boat level? I don't remember hearing them before, eventhough I've played the section through three times, if you include the demo as well. =)

Melchiah said:
Is my memory just playing tricks on me, or was there added radio transmissions in the beginning of the boat level? I don't remember hearing them before, eventhough I've played the section through three times, if you include the demo as well. =)

The transmissions have been there.

patsu

NBtoaster said:
[ending spoil]
That fight was great, makes it weirder how there was nothing like that at the end of the game. I know it was a throwback to Resistace 1's ending fight, but it just felt easy and didn't really feel too different to the last Brawler battle. Would have loved a proper ending boss.

I kinda missed the
Angels from RFOM. They seem to be gone. Perhaps that's why some Chimeras went feral.

pelican

A frustrating afternoon of playing on line.

The people using Move are annoying. I am wondering if auto aim is on using that control method. Too often the player with the move icon mowed down the opposite team. Perhaps I have just been unlucky today, but from today's impression it isn't particularly helping balance the game.

Matchmaking seems a bit broken. As a level 14 why do I end up in games populated with players at level 50? It can't be due to the on line population being that small can it?

Loudninja

dogmanstaruk said:

The people using Move are annoying. I am wondering if auto aim is on using that control method. Too often the player with the move icon mowed down the opposite team. Perhaps I have just been unlucky today, but from today's impression it isn't particularly helping balance the game.

Matchmaking seems a bit broken. As a level 14 why do I end up in games populated with players at level 50? It can't be due to the on line population being that small can it?
IG said a fix is coming for that.

patsu said:
Thats probably why some people get lag one day and none the next.

test_account

XP-39C²
dogmanstaruk said:
Does any games (or at least FPS games) have matchmaking like this? I dont think that i've ever seen it.

patsu

Loudninja said:
Thats probably why some people get lag one day and none the next.

Yes, possible if it's a threading issue. They are hard to find and fix. Usually need good tools and logging to prove.

This game is my first experience with the Sharpshooter and I'm really not liking it at all.

Is L1 on the NaviCon really the only way to zoom? The button's half covered up by the damn sharpshooter. It's a shame you can't customize the Move controls because that's a pain to use and I'm always accidentally tossing grenades instead of alt-firing.

Finished my superhuman walkthrough today... it was easier than I expected.

Going to collect the rest of the trophies for the Platinum later... going to take some break from the game now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So im replaying the campagin with loudninja grabbing all the journals and what not... and after the dissapointing ending let me tell you one thing Insomniac :
WHERES MY RESISTANCE 4 HUH?!

Grinchy

Banned
dogmanstaruk said:
I haven't bought the game yet, but KZ3 is kinda like this too. There are times when my K/D is 4.0 and I never give a shit about K/D. Move is just better for shooters than a regular controller. Simple as that.

MrPliskin

Banned
dogmanstaruk said:

Uhh, I'm pretty sure that's the icon for people who have gone 1-60 and are now "remnants". I think the icon changes as you go through the different levels. I'm almost certain that doesn't mean those people are using move, lol.

Edit: I could be wrong though. I'll check it out to be sure right now.

gibration

I was playing mp earlier today and it was surprisingly smooth. No lag spikes, no freezing, no bullshit or anything like it. Had to stop playing because the Barcelona game was about to start but damn, I hope it's like that when I play again.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Grinchy said:
If I am using my sharpshooter (that's a big if) then I use gesture. It is like using a bayonet, which feels right and doesn't screw up my aim.

When I use Move+Nav I'm totally a circle presser. I cannot stand the gesture melee. It was really bad in MAG, better in KZ3, but I still much prefer a button. I don't know what it is about the calibration, but it seems like it never "sticks." Even when it works for a while, I can't go more than like 3 or 4 rounds before fighting the cursor as it drifts off to the right. And that's with the magnet on or off.

Ok, next time that happens, try doing a few gesture melees in succession and see if that fixes it without resorting to calibration.

Any news about 1.04?

Loudninja

TTP said:
Ok, next time that happens, try doing a few gesture melees in succession and see if that fixes it without resorting to calibration.

Any news about 1.04?
Probably next week according to the twitter.

Top Bottom