• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Dizzan

MINI Member
For the Aussies...... Cybershack on channel 10 just featured resistance...... Looked good watching native 720p footage on my tv but other than that it was mostly stuff we've already seen and just general, no idea speak about the game! They did tout it "the best PS3 launch game by far" though.....

Kolgar

TTP said:
hey, how was the frame rate with all those people in such a close vicinity?

If there are 40 gaffers, you should split in two teams and gather in one spot :D

Dude, that frame rate didn't hitch. It didn't THINK of hitching. We had all these guys in one spot, blasting holy hell out of clock towers and pigeons and whatever else, and as far as I know, nobody saw a HINT of slowdown.

It was amazing. Several of us remarked about it, with one guy going, "The POWER OF CELL!" Hahaha.

Wollan

5000+ posts.

200 000+ views.

100+ members.

~4 months.

Success.

champagne.jpg

Kolgar said:
Dude, that frame rate didn't hitch. It didn't THINK of hitching. We had all these guys in one spot, blasting holy hell out of clock towers and pigeons and whatever else, and as far as I know, nobody saw a HINT of slowdown.

It was amazing. Several of us remarked about it, with one guy going, "The POWER OF CELL!" Hahaha.
It really was impressive. If you ever have played Rockets on Midship in Halo 2, you would know what happens last-gen when you got a bunch of people together to blow shit up. Not this gen. The game ran as smooth as ever with all those people in the same area shooting the crap out of the tower. It was pure awesome.

Busty

Banned
Wollan said:
5000+ posts.

200 000+ views.

100+ members.

~4 months.

Success.

CONGRATS and KUDOS.

Though I own neither a copy or Resistance or a PS3 on which to play it I have enjoyed the thread.

Keep it up.......

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
God this game is awesome. I'm just getting into it after being distracted by WoW:BC and Zelda...and having a blast.

I'm going online later this week for some MP action...any advice?

Kolgar

EMBee99 said:
God this game is awesome. I'm just getting into it after being distracted by WoW:BC and Zelda...and having a blast.

I'm going online later this week for some MP action...any advice?

Sure!

Grab yourself a headset. That way you'll know what's going on and can coordinate with your teammates. And be sure to check out this site of pure awesome:

Remy said:
Big Important Announcement!

I am also pleased to announce that I am putting together a Clan GAF Resource page, meant for players to brush up on their stuff. If you're new to the game, or the clan, this blog will help you figure out what the hell is going on.

You can find the page at:
http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM me.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop me a PM about that as well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I want to apologize to a few people who requested clan invites over the weekend. I couldn't get to them before the big clan mashup (and also couldn't play in the mashup myself) because I stupidly took my home network down over the weekend and couldn't get it restarted again.

Hopefully I have everything back up and running today and can send out invites to everyone who requested one over the weekend.

Again, apologies if this caused anyone to miss the clan game on Sunday.

Steroyd

http://www.psu.com/node/8428

Rise of Man?
Added on 04/03/2007.

We were talking to some of the people showing up at GDC, and this little interesting tidbit came across our desks. A middleware company informed us that Insomniac was working on a sequel to Resistance. They didn’t want to tell us anything beyond the name: “Rise of Man”.

The folks that told us work with PS3 software, so you can be fairly confident that the sequel will be coming to the PS3 and not the PSP, but Insomniac has signaled their desire to put a Resistance themed game on the portable console.

So what to expect in the sequel? Hard to say. Be looking for the atmosphere and unique gameplay that defines Insomniac, and perhaps even a few new weapons. If we hear anything else, we’ll be sure to pass it on.

I know I know not a well known source but the mod over at PSU is very reliable they gave coverage and interviews at E3, so i trust this source.

lunlunqq

Crackerman16 said:
With more to come... Euorpean launch!

yeah, i hope they can finally open up international servers such that we can tear up some resistance noobs from europe... :D :D :D

i'd also like to test my skills on the battlefields of the far east...

tanod

when is my burrito
lunlunqq said:
yeah, i hope they can finally open up international servers such that we can tear up some resistance noobs from europe... :D :D :D

Hey Lun,

Did you see the info. on the patch coming? Look a couple pages back, but
Wish granted, WW online play enabled in March. Somebody posted that it wasn't coming until later but I don't see how they got that out of the IGN article.

Dizzan said:
For the Aussies...... Cybershack on channel 10 just featured resistance...... Looked good watching native 720p footage on my tv but other than that it was mostly stuff we've already seen and just general, no idea speak about the game! They did tout it "the best PS3 launch game by far" though.....

Yep, i caught it tonight. It was funny when Erin told one of the guys to stay in front of her so she wouldn't get shot and the guy replied with, thats just stupid. :lol
Anyway, the game looked a lot better than what i was expecting, i'm really excited for the game now, even more than what i was originally.
I really hope i dont suck at it though, I got sick of COD2 on the other console because i couldn't aim for shizzen.

Steroyd

lunlunqq said:

Those Euro n00bs will have 2 months experience before you get pwned so bad.

lunlunqq

tanod said:
Hey Lun,

Wish granted, WW online play enabled in March. Somebody posted that it wasn't coming until later but I don't see how they got that out of the IGN article.

wow!!! how could i miss that???!!?!?!!

i guess dealing with 2 ladies at the same time consumed all my time... :(

tanod said:
Hey Lun,

WW Online play is slated for May, along with the new maps I believe. Gives those European noobs that we Yankees always have to help win a fight a good number of weeks of practice.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Kolgar said:
Sure!

Grab yourself a headset. That way you'll know what's going on and can coordinate with your teammates. And be sure to check out this site of pure awesome:

Done and done. See ya'll soon.

I thought this game would eventually fade into the ether but this thread is going strong. Can't wait to get my PS3 today.

JB1981

Kolgar said:

hehee that was me

tanod

when is my burrito
lunlunqq said:
wow!!! how could i miss that???!!?!?!!

i guess dealing with 2 ladies at the same time consumed all my time... :(

Bros before hos, dude. :)

Sonycowboy, could we get a thread title change to the tune of "Go 5,000! Not dead yet" or something of the sort.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kolgar said:

Wow. IMPRESSIVE O_O

Aeon712

I can't believe I missed the awesome 20 Gaf rush, stupid 7am work days. All those errors joining a game around 11:30 made me think it would be better to get 5 1/2 hrs of sleep. Now I regret the extra half hr :(. And what's with people seeing more medals then me? I hear people mentioning medals that aren't listed like 85% shot accracy and 1000 games played.

My character :wub

snack said:
It really was impressive. If you ever have played Rockets on Midship in Halo 2, you would know what happens last-gen when you got a bunch of people together to blow shit up. Not this gen. The game ran as smooth as ever with all those people in the same area shooting the crap out of the tower. It was pure awesome.

Yeah, the only time I think I saw some slowdown was a Grimsby 40 man DM we had where everyone was in close quarters and all hell was breaking loose. And even that was only for a split second. I'm wondering how you could make the game really chug. Maybe everybody getting together and throwing air-fuel grenades at the same time. Bonfire! :D

Core407

Banned
So I finally managed to get me a copy and have a few questions.

Can servers disable auto aiming or is it up to the player? Is there a way to force other character models onto the enemy? I played a team deathmatch game in some forest level and I kept mistaking my guys for the enemy and vice versa.

Remy

Core407 said:
Can servers disable auto aiming or is it up to the player? Is there a way to force other character models onto the enemy? I played a team deathmatch game in some forest level and I kept mistaking my guys for the enemy and vice versa.

1) It's up to the individual players, and it's not auto-aim, it's aim assist. It's not Socom PSP style.

2) Nope, everyone's got the model they've chosen. You probably experienced a Chimera vs. Chimera match, which is a new invention which I think a good 75% of the GAF clan disapproves of for that very reason. All I can suggest is getting used to looking for names over heads and/or the color of the crosshair.

The Jer

Remy said:
Nope, everyone's got the model they've chosen. You probably experienced a Chimera vs. Chimera match, which is a new invention which I think a good 75% of the GAF clan disapproves of for that very reason. All I can suggest is getting used to looking for names over heads and/or the color of the crosshair.

I'm pretty sure there are TWO different character models for chimera vs. chimera or human vs. human; one for each team. However, your point still stands - that everyone still pretty much looks the same and we all hate it for that reason.

Core407

Banned
Remy said:
1) It's up to the individual players, and it's not auto-aim, it's aim assist. It's not Socom PSP style.

2) Nope, everyone's got the model they've chosen. You probably experienced a Chimera vs. Chimera match, which is a new invention which I think a good 75% of the GAF clan disapproves of for that very reason. All I can suggest is getting used to looking for names over heads and/or the color of the crosshair.

Any chance for a patch of this? I thought I heard 'em discussing it at some point in time. I mean, all they have to do different shades of the models.

What exactly is the difference between auto aim and aim assist?

Remy

Core407 said:
What exactly is the difference between auto aim and aim assist?

Auto aim would allow you to hit a button to lock onto an enemy and keep firing at them without adjusting your aim. Think GTA, or Crackdown.

Aim assist will help your crosshair stick to the enemy if you move a little, but will not do much more than that. At least, that's my understanding.

Pazuzu

Banned
I've been exiled on the Asian servers since day 1, and can't wait for the chance to test myself against people from back home. We have only enough people to support 1 unranked game at a time usually. With the international servers coming soon, has there been any talk of combining the JAP/US Clans, (too many people probably) or starting a new one?

Core407

Banned
Remy said:
Auto aim would allow you to hit a button to lock onto an enemy and keep firing at them without adjusting your aim. Think GTA, or Crackdown.

Aim assist will help your crosshair stick to the enemy if you move a little, but will not do much more than that. At least, that's my understanding.

Yes, I suppose so. I'm really enjoying it so far, but the free for all mode is really hectic.

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I can't believe I missed the awesome 20 Gaf rush, stupid 7am work days. All those errors joining a game around 11:30 made me think it would be better to get 5 1/2 hrs of sleep. Now I regret the extra half hr :(.

I was wondering where you went to. You missed out on a great match - probably one of my most memorable simply because we confused the other team so completely.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
I was wondering where you went to. You missed out on a great match - probably one of my most memorable simply because we confused the other team so completely.

They're probably wondering what the hell happened.
Indifferent2.gif

JB1981

Core407 said:
Yes, I suppose so. I'm really enjoying it so far, but the free for all mode is really hectic.

Personally, I hate death match. Always have, always will. I'll take an objective-based game over that every time.

I'm currently playing through this game a 2nd time on Hard and indeed, it is hard.

This time I'm messing around with the physics in the game as much as possible. It's so cool. I love blasting those little yellow orb things and watching the ensuing chaos. I also love how each scenario in the game has to be approached with the appropriate weapon. The game is a lot like Halo in that respect. The AI is actually a lot better than I remember it being as well.

Props to the Arc Charger on Hard mode. I thought this was a throwaway weapon but it actually comes in handy. It absolutely eviscerates the little creepy-crawly things. What a great game. Best value of next-gen, imo.

I3rand0

JB1981 said:
Personally, I hate death match. Always have, always will. I'll take an objective-based game over that every time.

I'm currently playing through this game a 2nd time on Hard and indeed, it is hard.

This time I'm messing around with the physics in the game as much as possible. It's so cool. I love blasting those little yellow orb things and watching the ensuing chaos. I also love how each scenario in the game has to be approached with the appropriate weapon. The game is a lot like Halo in that respect. The AI is actually a lot better than I remember it being as well.

Props to the Arc Charger on Hard mode. I thought this was a throwaway weapon but it actually comes in handy. It absolutely eviscerates the little creepy-crawly things. What a great game. Best value of next-gen, imo.

So am I. There's a lot of weapons I took for granted that I am in love with now. Especially the Dragon, what a great weapon to use in close quarters.

tanod

when is my burrito
JB1981 said:
Props to the Arc Charger on Hard mode. I thought this was a throwaway weapon but it actually comes in handy. It absolutely eviscerates the little creepy-crawly things.

I found the same thing on my second playthrough. It just eviscerates those bugs. They coil up and shoot off everything. Really neat effect.

I just wish I could start out the game with all of the weapons. There are so many times I'll be playing it in the first few levels of the game and think that "it would be great if I had "this" weapon right now, it's such the perfect situation for it."

teiresias

Finally finished the campaign last night. The last firefight was intense and difficult the first few times through until you realize where the enemies are emerging from in the environment and can move to the appropriate areas to get some cover.

Gonna play through it again with the new weapons, but sticking to Medium - I don't think my sanity could take trying to play this thing on Hard :lol

Now, just to find time to get into online, but with GoW2 coming out . . . urghhh, it's like a freaking gaming barrage recently.

Remy

Couple of new articles up on the Clan site, one just being a call to arms for tonight and the other being a recap of something JStevenson posted at the official forums.

Kittonwy, can you add the site info into the usual post the next time you post it?

Kittonwy

Banned
Tonight is...

TUESDAY NIGHT!!! ROFFLES. Come out and join us for some DIRTY WEDGE ACTION!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Resistance will make you go:

69827.jpg

That's right. You can bet your ass on it.
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Remy

Might want to include the login and quasi-password info in the post too.
Indifferent2.gif

I should be there at 10 EST. Hopefully.

Top Bottom