• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Chris_C

I'll be on tonight. I'd like to get a headset as well, but I keep hearing conflicting reports about which headsets work best etc, etc. I'm looking for either a Bluetooth headset or a USB one (assuming you can plug them into the controller and don't have to plug them into the console).

Anyway, looking forward to the group pic.

And I totally agree about Chimera VS Chimera TDM being awkward, personally I think it's primarily because the two skins are just far too similar in appearance.

tanod said:
I just started playing Hard and am actually having MORE fun with it than I did at the easier difficulties. What you're saying kind of makes me wary of trying Superhuman.

I think part of what makes the harder difficulties better for me are:
1)They are supposed to be hard so I don't get as frustrated when I die.
2)It's sufficient enough of a difficulty for me so that I can't do stupid things and get away with it like rushing in to a group of enemies with an underpowered weapon (seems more fair)
3)I've been able to appreciate the level design a lot more. It completely changes the way you have to work your way through a level (almost creating a "right" way to do it)

If I threw my controllers (which is not at all) as much as I swear (which is A LOT), I'd be a very poor man with no games. :\

Players who are usually good at shooters shouldn't waste their time playing Resistance on Easy or Normal. Hard is where the action's really at. And Superhuman is basically Hard + more enemies w/stronger weapons + more/different weapons to help you out (if you played Hard first).

Seriously, don't worry about Superhuman too much if you can beat Hard with decent efficiency. Superhuman just requires you to take more time and use your weapons a lot better/smarter. I think Hard took me about a week to finish, and Superhuman took me about 1 and a half weeks, playing on and off.

Core407 said:
What the hell is with this game. I've gone to three different shops and they're all sold out.

Edit:

Does anyone play this on an SDTV? My monitor won't be here for a week probably so I'm planning on just playing online matches until it gets here.

Here are some of the screenshots I took of Resistance...

SD shots:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5217734#post5217734

HD shots:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5282883#post5282883

Like I said in my SD post, Resistance in SD wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But it's nothing compared to playing this game in HD. If you can, try to get a HDTV. It's REALLY worth it, both for your gaming and TV programming needs.

M3Freak said:
It can take some time for everyone to sign on. So, the picture time is hereby set to 9:30 p.m. EST. You should still sign in at 9:00 pm EST, if you can (as usual).

Bah, I got to get ready for work at 9:30. Son of a...

Oh well, I hope someone takes some better screenies tonight. If we don't get some better screenshots again, we should try again on Tuesday, when I can actually play. >.>

tanod

when is my burrito
Crackerman16 said:
Players who are usually good at shooters shouldn't waste their time playing Resistance on Easy or Normal.

I'm not bad but I don't play a lot of them so it works for me. :) So, since I'm on hard now, this would be my 3rd play through.

I use the
carbide a lot from long range (haven't got the sniper yet) and in short bursts. Almost firing all the time. Just got through Manchester and boy, was that tedious. There were just wave after wave of Chimera advancing. Although I did figure it out today that the hybrid AI won't advance on your position unless you're outnumbered. Pretty neat!

I started at Easy because I figured that I could then go through some levels real quick and get some of the skillpoints that would be harder otherwise. For example, the timed ones and the
"not getting grabbed by menials" one on Grimsby
, I'm guessing will be much easier to get on EASY.

Remy

Hold the phone there, Mr. M3Freak:

M3Freak said:
We'll be co-ordinating the whole thing in this thread since not everyone has headsets, and since we're going to have two parties, we won't all be able to talk with each other.

We don't have to have two parties. We can have everyone join one private custom DM game (with the main party creating), and everyone will be able to get in and voice chat equally.

Granted, we have to make sure that everyone KNOWS we're doing the picture - this is difficult for the people without headsets - but it should be doable.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!! ROFFLES. Come out and join us for a fun night!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Before Resistance:

Indifferent2.gif

During Resistance:

gladtomeetya.gif

After Resistance:

love.gif

Looking forward to the new map packs, can't wait to play those soon.
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak,

We really can't do that picture at 9:30 EST, my wife will defenitely be watching Desperate Housewives and I don't want to miss this. I still think 10EST/9CST/7PST is the best time.

Kittonwy,

I think we can take out the names in the clan posting and just include the Google Spreadsheet roster, like kaching had said eariler. Also, there may be a better way to organize that post since there is so much there now.

EDIT: Can you also add the clan picture into that post.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
M3Freak said:
Holy shit man. I don't know how many times someone has typed that out in the party lobby screen. Guess you just missed it.

Anyway, now you know. And, you're missing out on a lot - the game is completely different when you're able to communicate - night and day.

i guess i never really understood what you guys were talking about :p

when we're back in the lobby though, i'm usually doing something else other than looking at the tv

JB1981

davepoobond said:
i guess i never really understood what you guys were talking about :p

when we're back in the lobby though, i'm usually doing something else other than looking at the tv

Everyone please try and get a headset (if possible). They really are crucial to the experience, if you want to play right.

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
M3Freak,

We really can't do that picture at 9:30 EST, my wife will defenitely be watching Desperate Housewives and I don't want to miss this. I still think 10EST/9CST/7PST is the best time.

Kittonwy,

I think we can take out the names in the clan posting and just include the Google Spreadsheet roster, like kaching had said eariler. Also, there may be a better way to organize that post since there is so much there now.

EDIT: Can you also add the clan picture into that post.

Done. I'm not sure which clan picture is the best, so I just picked one, I hope it's ok. Feel free to let me know which clan picture to use so I can change it.

Aeon712

Wollan said:
b0015280_22484926.jpg

'Everyone fights. No one quits. If you quit I will shoot you myself.'
:lol just reminded of the Breach game we played last night. Every one left the base without defending and we basicially made a clean sweep to their reactor killing everyone in sight till our reactor was under attack. I run up to a barrel and shout somebody shoot the barrel so I'll die without a suicide and the extra time to respawn. I think that was the highlight of my night since I complained that somebody actually shot the barrel :lol

I'll be on tonight. I'd like to get a headset as well, but I keep hearing conflicting reports about which headsets work best etc, etc. I'm looking for either a Bluetooth headset or a USB one (assuming you can plug them into the controller and don't have to plug them into the console).

Headset goes into the system, Bestbuy sells a PS3 one for 15$
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8188392&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103600050010&id=1164156729136

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
LOLZ, that's just me. People do talk during games.
Indifferent2.gif

This is especially entertaining when people have seperate conversations without leaving the squad or turning off the mic or something. I remember M3Freak (IIRC) explaining to his wife how Resistance was "like bowling."

This happened to me last night, actually. I left my door open to get some airflow and some guy came by and started asking me questions, wanting to know where someone lived. I was trying, politely, to shoo him away, since we were in the middle of a match. I felt like a moron when I realized I didn't mute my mic.

And Kittowny, I believe you sometimes talk a little bit, when it gets later and its near the last games of the night. At least, I see the icon show up.

davepoobond said:

Like go to Albertson's??

Aeon712

I think you guys heard me talking on the phone for the first part of my conversation before I muted the mic. I know you all heard the phone ring cause somebody told me to answer it. Also somebody didn't tell the nice lady in the background I said bye to her:lol.

tanod

when is my burrito
Kittonwy said:
Done. I'm not sure which clan picture is the best, so I just picked one, I hope it's ok. Feel free to let me know which clan picture to use so I can change it.

That's the one I was thinking of. :) Looks good.

Aeon712 said:
:lol just reminded of the Breach game we played last night. Every one left the base without defending and we basicially made a clean sweep to their reactor killing everyone in sight till our reactor was under attack. I run up to a barrel and shout somebody shoot the barrel so I'll die without a suicide and the extra time to respawn. I think that was the highlight of my night since I complained that somebody actually shot the barrel :lol

Headset goes into the system, Bestbuy sells a PS3 one for 15$
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8188392&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103600050010&id=1164156729136
Is that headset any good?

grendelrt

Ok ill be on tonight. I got a headset and linked in the PS3 menu. What do I have to do to join the chat channel? Just hit start once inside the match? (like the lobby or the actual gameplay?)

Big-E

grendelrt said:
Ok ill be on tonight. I got a headset and linked in the PS3 menu. What do I have to do to join the chat channel? Just hit start once inside the match? (like the lobby or the actual gameplay?)

You can do it in both. In the game lobby you can press triangle and this will bring up a menu with three options. Change team, change race and change squad. Click on change squad and chose x-ray. If you need to do it in game all you got to do is press start and go intro change squad.

davepoobond

The Jer said:
Like go to Albertson's??

:lol yeah. i was making spaghetti and i had no parmesan cheese. so i was like "i dont want to deal with having to rejoin the party" so i just left. and then when i came back i was the last one in the conversion match and some guy was just about to kill me so i dropped off the edge...

i dunno, did i tell this story in this thread already?

i think that's my favorite personal game story.

tanod

when is my burrito
grendelrt said:
Ok thanks, I find it weird you have to join a chat channel and that there isnt a default channel for each team. Oh wells
nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

It's not just a chat channel. It's also a game mechanic. If you don't join a squad, you have to press L3 to talk. If you're in the same squad you can talk to anybody on the squad at any time.

If you are in a squad, and are making an attack on a base or whatever, you can spawn on squad so your squad stays together, or so that you can infiltrate their base and sustain an attack.

The Jer said:
This is especially entertaining when people have seperate conversations without leaving the squad or turning off the mic or something. I remember M3Freak (IIRC) explaining to his wife how Resistance was "like bowling."

:lol !

I really need to get back into the game. I haven't played in weeks, since the Wedge was in its infancy.

tanod

when is my burrito
davepoobond said:
:lol yeah. i was making spaghetti and i had no parmesan cheese. so i was like "i dont want to deal with having to rejoin the party" so i just left. and then when i came back i was the last one in the conversion match and some guy was just about to kill me so i dropped off the edge...

:lol:lol Now, THAT's funny!

I should try that for our next conversion. :)

davepoobond

tanod said:
:lol:lol Now, THAT's funny!

I should try that for our next conversion. :)

i'm pretty sure it was either you, or bigE or patsu that was goin after me. maybe SleazyC. one of you guys.

tanod

when is my burrito
Ignatz Mouse said:
:lol !

I really need to get back into the game. I haven't played in weeks, since the Wedge was in its infancy.

Good time to come back.

CLAN PICTURE TONIGHT EVERYBODY. TO HAPPEN SOME TIME BETWEEN 10EST and 11EST

Try to get on for a while if you have a chance at all. We're aiming for 40 people.

garrickk

tanod said:
It's not just a chat channel. It's also a game mechanic. If you don't join a squad, you have to press L3 to talk. If you're in the same squad you can talk to anybody on the squad at any time.

If you are in a squad, and are making an attack on a base or whatever, you can spawn on squad so your squad stays together, or so that you can infiltrate their base and sustain an attack.
It should also be frequently noted that in Breach maps, the offensive squad is on the X-ray channel and the defensive team is on Yankee. Then the two squads can chat away constantly without interference, but you can still talk to everyone with L3.

SleazyC

grendelrt said:
I cant find the game, do you just search on clan only? Do I need an invite?
We haven't started playing yet and yes you will need an invite unless we have a custom game running.

The Jer

garrickk said:
It should also be frequently noted that in Breach maps, the offensive squad is on the X-ray channel and the defensive team is on Yankee. Then the two squads can chat away constantly without interference, but you can still talk to everyone with L3.

And you can spawn on squad!!!!!
This is extremely usefull in an offensive rush; since you can spawn in/near the opponents base. And if defense is a seperate channel, you don't have to worry about spawning somewhere else.

So, it is usefull to join a squad, even if you don't have a headset.

patsu

The Jer said:

This happened to me last night, actually. I left my door open to get some airflow and some guy came by and started asking me questions, wanting to know where someone lived. I was trying, politely, to shoo him away, since we were in the middle of a match. I felt like a moron when I realized I didn't mute my mic.

And Kittowny, I believe you sometimes talk a little bit, when it gets later and its near the last games of the night. At least, I see the icon show up.

Like go to Albertson's??

davepoopond said:
yeah. i was making spaghetti and i had no parmesan cheese. so i was like "i dont want to deal with having to rejoin the party" so i just left. and then when i came back i was the last one in the conversion match and some guy was just about to kill me so i dropped off the edge...

:lol You guys crack me up

Those conversion games felt weird sometimes. I can see Big-E and Akaneningen stepped over what look like my body a few times as they hunt for each other. I was like "Hey ! That was me... my body ! So that's how I look when I die".

I'm ready for pictures ! Ping me when you're there. I got some more werk to do.

That was fun, but I am pissed that I had to leave early. Stupid school. Well, I can't wait to get owned by everyone from the GAF next weekend, or maybe on Wednesday in a little Motorstorm.

That was weird!

One second we're all shooting at the sky taking our awesome picture, and then everyone starts killing each other! I guess it must've been game time, then.

I need to get a headset. Good game, guys! Dinner calls, so I'm heading out.

grendelrt

That was fun as crap, thanks for the invite. I had to jump off, between playing Gears, VF5, and Resistance today the wife is probably lonely :D

Edit: Oh that homer DOH! after the match was my txt message tone :lol

Top Bottom