• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Aeon712

I played a quick game with M3 earlier, we were hoping for Assault but got Meltdown instead :(. The Laark losing some splash damage is a good thing. I died less from it but I sucked the 2 shots I had with it. I'll be getting on after I finish watching the new One Piece.

sutdawg

frAntic_Frog said:
so any news on whether or not the online portion of this game will move beyond the tired CTF/KingoftheHill/Deathmatch variants that been in every FPS online shooter since Quake3? i mean cmon add some vehicles for chrisake! or secondary weapons like pistols knives or other melee weapons. maybe this is why Resistance sales have fallen outta the top10 npd charts since jan....since people see it as more of the same ol' same ol'.........

Remy said:
You bought the wrong version of Resistance. Return it to your store.

I am sure glad I bought the right version! Because my Resistance is far from the same ol' same ol'. :D

JB1981 said:
well, it wasn't terribly long. Took about 10 minutes. But updates like this on 360 take less than 30 seconds, usually.

Took me EXACTLY 4 minutes, and i was pumping my broadband with:

- Xbox
- PS2
- PS3 (Wireless)
- 3 laptops (Wireless)
- 1 Desktop

And i have basic high-speed... go figure... :)

OH. MY. ****ING. GOD.

This must be somehow related to the PS3 freezing, BUT FOR THE THIRD TIME, MY RESISTANCE SAVED DATA HAS BEEN CORRUPTED. **** this shit. I'm not even going to bother TRYING for the black-ops shit now, as every time I do my data just gets ****ing deleted before I can finish and I have to start over from SCRATCH.

Surely this has happened to someone else?

lynux3

My Arms Your Hearse said:
OH. MY. ****ING. GOD.

This must be somehow related to the PS3 freezing, BUT FOR THE THIRD TIME, MY RESISTANCE SAVED DATA HAS BEEN CORRUPTED. **** this shit. I'm not even going to bother TRYING for the black-ops shit now, as every time I do my data just gets ****ing deleted before I can finish and I have to start over from SCRATCH.

Surely this has happened to someone else?

You should probably try backing up your game save data.

mr_nothin

Banned
lynux3 said:
You should probably try backing up your game save data.
yea..no shit. After the 1st time that's what he should have done. but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time but then again game saves should be reliable but then again he should have backed it up after the 1st time

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
frAntic_Frog said:
so any news on whether or not the online portion of this game will move beyond the tired CTF/KingoftheHill/Deathmatch variants that been in every FPS online shooter since Quake3? i mean cmon add some vehicles for chrisake! or secondary weapons like pistols knives or other melee weapons. maybe this is why Resistance sales have fallen outta the top10 npd charts since jan....since people see it as more of the same ol' same ol'.........

you're saying there's a quantified amount they would have sold if there were secondary weapons?

as if the secondary functions of weapons weren't enough to begin with?

Assault is some good shit, so far it seems at least.

Unfortunately, there are some SERIOUS issues with this patch. Namely, after a match, and maybe before, there is massive game wide lag... and by that I mean... in the menus and everywhere else and I've had four different games freeze on me since the patch. The matches actually stuck around, but I kept freezing... joining matches, the end of matches, you name it...

Pretty much every match I've been in so far has frozen my PS3 at some point.

I think it's your system dude. We played a good 7-8 matches (and they're still going so jump on if you like) and zero issues. The carbine has been balanced great. I'm getting a tremendous amount of quick headshot kills, way more than before.

I was playing in ranked and haven't hit an assault round yet. Meltdown like 5 games in a row. I'd love some CTF and certainly breach mixed in. Also the autobalancing helps out when we're dominating the other side ;)

Big-E

JS why did you guys get rid of the reload sound on the rifle? I miss it and plus it helped knowing when you could shoot again.

calder

Assault is the shit. Been in four very fun, very competitive matches in a row, the last one was omgsoclose for the last 5 minutes guys were freaking out on the headsets :lol One of those matches where even though we lost we were laughing about the awesomeness of it.

I do notice the game lagging a fair bit at the end of matches, but no other problems. My brother said he was d/ced in the middle of a match but nothing to me yet in a few hours of playing tonight.

JB1981

There is definitely some post-game menu lag since the patch. It's nothing terribly bad but it takes about 8-10 seconds to correct itself. I think it might have something to do with the way the system reorders the buddy list.

The Jer

Big-E said:
JS why did you guys get rid of the reload sound on the rifle? I miss it and plus it helped knowing when you could shoot again.

I wasn't the only one who noticed this then. I kept on checkin' to see if I was out of ammo. I liked having it, as well.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Aeon712 said:
I played a quick game with M3 earlier, we were hoping for Assault but got Meltdown instead :(. The Laark losing some splash damage is a good thing. I died less from it but I sucked the 2 shots I had with it. I'll be getting on after I finish watching the new One Piece.
you mean episode 301? its awesome by the way :D

Remy

Assault is amazing. It's really, really different from both Breach and Meltdown. I'm doing up a strategy post now for the clanblog - should be up by Thursday evening at the latest (if I don't finish it right now).

Post-results lag needs fixing ASAP.

The new map/health bar for nodes is great and was much needed.

New spectator mode is much appreciated, although I wish the "roaming cam" had some noclip - but I can understand why it doesn't.

We need to do single weapon conversion more often. Those sniper rounds were fun. :)

Big-E

Remy said:
We need to do single weapon conversion more often. Those sniper rounds were fun. :)

I keep saying but one hit kills with only melee is a lot of fun. Its a game where you try to fake your opponent into attacking then you go in with the but of your rifle.

Kittonwy

Banned
Remy said:
Assault is amazing. It's really, really different from both Breach and Meltdown. I'm doing up a strategy post now for the clanblog - should be up by Thursday evening at the latest (if I don't finish it right now).

Post-results lag needs fixing ASAP.

The new map/health bar for nodes is great and was much needed.

New spectator mode is much appreciated, although I wish the "roaming cam" had some noclip - but I can understand why it doesn't.

Assault is AWESOME. The new health bar for the nodes is AWESOME. Looking forward to the clanblog.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

g35twinturbo said:
you mean episode 301? its awesome by the way :D
Better then Awesome, I need 302 now :(.

We need to do single weapon conversion more often. Those sniper rounds were fun.
Good thing you left nades in, I wouldn't have stood a chance. I didn't even fire one sniper shot that second game :). And me and Bookey had the ultimate granade fight :lol. Insomniac you guys rule. Just one question JStevenson since we got the DLC 2days early, and chance of getting the maps 2mths early???
no eh :(

Remy

Oh, I also forgot:

To everyone involved in that epic Meltdown match, I salute you.

To everyone who wasn't: We were playing Nottingham Meltdown 32, which is the 5 nodes pattern. It was the second round, and we had already rocked them a bit the first round. But that's no excuse for what happened next:

At exactly two minutes into the round - I checked the game clock, it read 23:00 - all nodes were either in our possession or being converted to ours. It was the quickest Meltdown lock-down we've ever done.

We did the usual "lob all grenades into the base" thing that we do after a lockdown on Nottingham, but something curious happened maybe 30 seconds after that...

They stopped coming out.

FEAR THE WEDGE.

Hey, I had to get off early tonight to work out... then I chilled with friends and went out to eat. I had like eight party invites when I got back :lol

I'm kinda like Patsu... I just leave my PS3 on all the time... if I don't join the party/message back, that means my PS3 is just sitting there on, but I'll try to be better about at least closing out of Resistance.

Remy

Hey, I had to get off early tonight to work out... then I chilled with friends and went out to eat. I had like eight party invites when I got back :lol

I'm kinda like Patsu... I just leave my PS3 on all the time... if I don't join the party/message back, that means my PS3 is just sitting there on, but I'll try to be better about at least closing out of Resistance.

Don't worry about it; just realize that when I'm hosting the party, I sweep the clan list every round and invite anyone who the menu still shows that I can "Invite To Party". I apologize about the deluge. :)

Also, Assault post is up. If you didn't get a chance to play tonight - and even if you did - please read this.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/2007/03/assault_basics.html

Please see the regular announcement about clan night if you don't already know the login or password.

Also, if anyone wants to add their thoughts on strategy, post them here and I'll add them to the post.

M3Freak

Banned
Remy said:
Oh, I also forgot:

To everyone involved in that epic Meltdown match, I salute you.

To everyone who wasn't: We were playing Nottingham Meltdown 32, which is the 5 nodes pattern. It was the second round, and we had already rocked them a bit the first round. But that's no excuse for what happened next:

At exactly two minutes into the round - I checked the game clock, it read 23:00 - all nodes were either in our possession or being converted to ours. It was the quickest Meltdown lock-down we've ever done.

We did the usual "lob all grenades into the base" thing that we do after a lockdown on Nottingham, but something curious happened maybe 30 seconds after that...

They stopped coming out.

FEAR THE WEDGE.

I wish I could have been a part of that - sounds like you guys had a blast.

As for the update:

1. love the new node energy bars on the map - extremely helpful
2. carbine headshots - awesome,.
3. I walked away from several LAARKings. Nice!
4. Spectator mode is cool. I really, really liked the free roam mode.
5. Assualt rocks my socks. We need more practice to get the strategy down pat, but the game we played today was a blast.
6. WTH is with the lag after a game is completed? I thought my net connection was messed, but everyone is seeing it.

More impressions on Saturday since I didn't play much today.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ggs today jer and unregistered, thanks for playing with me. it kinda sucks playing without other clan members now heh

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shagg_187 said:
Pinch me if im late but...

"Players Met" has been fixed for Resistance... :D

When was that fixed? I Just noticed it (Unless it was part of the current update)
That's definitely part of today's update. I played last night so I made a point of checking Players Met before logging into RFOM today and updating. No players from last night's games were on the PM list. After updating and playing a few rounds, PM list was working.

ChryZ

Sorry for ignoring the early invit last night, I was already ingame and afterwards I had to split to get at least 5-6h of sleep.

Anyway, Assault is the shit!

It's awesome how Insomniac keeps improving and supporting the game. *cheers*

bigswords

ChryZ said:
It's awesome how Insomniac keeps improving and supporting the game. *cheers*

Damn you Sony Asia Where is my goddamn patch, in fact where is my FIRST patch....I just cant wait for international servers when everyone is being forced to update at the same time.

Edit: No offense to Insomniac of course, they do fix the game :) it's just that Sony Asia which runs the Asian side of the Sony network is not releasing us the patch!

Angelcurio

Aeon712 said:
Fun games tonight, Angelcurio you should really get a mic. Playing with Gaf is awesome but hearing us all talk is a blast :) . Also there were a couple times I wanted to warn you of people.

Are we game on Friday to try out the new modes or waiting till the normal Saturday? Ross wouldn't tell what time the modes were going up :(, now I'll be checking all day:D.
Playing Resistance online is a real blast. I really could jump in and play the game without any issues even though it is the first console fps game i play, and the first one i have played online. Also, i havent finish a single level of the single player campaign, i just got my ps3 a couple of days ago and since gaf was playing online, i decided to join the party without having played the game before hand :)

I still havent got a BT headset, but i am still searching for one who has both good price and good quality.

The Jer

I'm unsure how far up the shotgun is on my priority list after the update. This is how it used to be:
1. Bullseye
2. Shotgun
3. Carbine

with the bullseye and shotgun pretty much "neck in neck." But now I may like the Carbine better overall. I'd also like to throw the arc charger in that list somewhere (since I have only ~4 kills with it).
I think use the carbine more and just put it in the slot before the shotgun, so I can quick tap to the shotgun when I need to.

Also, I was trying to start using the sniper rifle a bit more during the games with dave and unregistered last night. The missing reload sound when using the scope was really bugging me.

Wow. I'm not really sure why I typed all that. I only intended to write the first sentence.

tanod

when is my burrito
Hi everybody. I'm finally back from my 2 week vacation. Some would call it a ban. :(

Tanod + LBP/Home Excitement + Miyamoto keynote disappointment-ton thread = IQ - 150

Even though I'm back on the boards, don't expect to see me on clan nights for a while until after the 1st. Grad school is kicking my ass and I have officially made the request (1UP article got me thinking) to my wife to have her hide my controller until I get through some school stuff. I did "get permission" to turn my PS3 on today to get all the updates. But tomorrow, the controller goes back into hiding. Not gonna get a chance to check to see how the updates/new modes play yet so I'm really disappointed because it sounds so awesome. *grumble*

See you on the boards.

PS: MotorStorm is waaaaaaaay fun but God of War 2 is awesome-er so MS got bumped. How awesome is MotorStorm, you ask? So awesome! :)

SleazyC

tanod said:
Hi everybody. I'm finally back from my 2 week vacation. Some would call it a ban. :(

Tanod + LBP/Home Excitement + Miyamoto keynote disappointment-ton thread = IQ - 150

Even though I'm back on the boards, don't expect to see me on clan nights for a while until after the 1st. Grad school is kicking my ass and I have officially made the request (1UP article got me thinking) to my wife to have her hide my controller until I get through some school stuff. I did "get permission" to turn my PS3 on today to get all the updates. But tomorrow, the controller goes back into hiding. Not gonna get a chance to check to see how the updates/new modes play yet so I'm really disappointed because it sounds so awesome. *grumble*

See you on the boards.

PS: MotorStorm is waaaaaaaay fun but God of War 2 is awesome-er so MS got bumped. How awesome is MotorStorm, you ask? So awesome! :)
I feel you... I'm getting my ass handed to me this quarter but I hope to be on during the weekend maybe for 1 out of the 2 days to try some of the new game modes. I got a lab to write up so I'm not sure how it will all turn out but I'll try to finish it up to get some playing time in.

ijm72

Man I need to get back to playing this game again I want to try out the new game modes and I want to play with some of the new clan members. Are the new maps out yet? I was caught up with a lot of school work and I was also caught up playing crackdown and winning eleven on the 360. I'll probably get on tomorrow night and play with you guys hopefully I wont be too rusty.

Tieno

Ok, so I played some Resistance campaign. I'm at the beginning of the York part, in this 'base'.
Things I like: the guns feel pretty good, the body reaction of chimera to fire, the animation/physics(?) of the chimera feel like they have weight, clean crisp look, the two guns I have used 2 guns so far (bullseye and the regular gun) feel pretty good, difficulty feels pretty good at medium but don't know yet if I chose the right one (can you 'up' the difficulty mid-campaign?), the game feels well-developed and put more thought into it than the standard shooter (for example I liked that there is an explination for the health system).

At the moment most of the 'nitpicks' I have with the game are either due to me being used to the 360 controller and sometimes having difficulty with the controller for example when trying to alt-fire while crouched. like t

bigswords said:
Damn you Sony Asia Where is my goddamn patch, in fact where is my FIRST patch....I just cant wait for international servers when everyone is being forced to update at the same time.

Edit: No offense to Insomniac of course, they do fix the game :) it's just that Sony Asia which runs the Asian side of the Sony network is not releasing us the patch!

Couldnt have put it better mate, im pissed off no new patch heck no old patch come on sony japan sort this shite out.

Steroyd

TheGuardian said:
As the resistance servers are region locked, maybe we should create a Euro GAF Clan?

Yeah that should happen, then when the WW servers are open we celebrate the occasion with a US vs EU epic GAF battle no prisoners and no pussies.

I should have a PS3 by then definately.

Aeon712

Steroyd said:
Yeah that should happen, then when the WW servers are open we celebrate the occasion with a US vs EU epic GAF battle no prisoners and no pussies.

I should have a PS3 by then definately.
That would be awesome, the mode would have to be Assault. Followed by a Breach game to see who can lock the other team inside their base.

Gadeus

I bought a headset yesterday, so hopefully I can start playing with you guys soon.

Could someone please clarify a few things for me relating to headset usage? I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it yesterday, and also almost no users in random ranked matches have headsets, so I couldn't really test things out extensively. I assigned voice chat to left on the dpad, so obviously when I'm playing a game, I just press left whenever I want to talk. However, does this extend to the pregame lobby as well? And also, if I understand correctly, if I join a squad, I just talk without pressing anything?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You don't have to press to talk in the pre-game lobby, Gadeus. Otherwise, your assumptions are correct.

Also, got your PMs, so I'll send you a clan invite tonight.

Gadeus

kaching said:
You don't have to press to talk in the pre-game lobby, Gadeus. Otherwise, your assumptions are correct.

Also, got your PMs, so I'll send you a clan invite tonight.
Awesome, thanks a lot.

tanod

when is my burrito
Just wanted to say welcome to the Euro-GAFfers.

You better practice up good for those world-wide servers in May. BALLLLLLIN!!! :p

I'd like to hear some more first impressions too. Enjoy the game. :D

kaching said:
You don't have to press to talk in the pre-game lobby, Gadeus.

Did they change something with the patch!?

Actually, if you want to talk to people outside your party, you do have to press to talk in the game lobby. That is also the only opportunity to trash talk the other team.

In-game,
Push to talk will only transmit to your teammates in team games.
In Free for all, you always have to press to talk.

Wollan

Aeon712 said:
Has Wollen played his Resistance yet? I'm really interested in seeing what he has to say about Resistance.

I've barely gotten the chance to play so far (the power has been gone for five hours now in Carlton, Melbourne. Just came back up again). Still on my first singleplayer level and I had one custom team deathmatch online game. I have one larger problem though. Whenever I try to send an buddy invite i receive the Error 80710017 so I have no friends on my list so far.

Top Bottom