• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

sutdawg

I'll be on tonight.... same place, same time.
Last night was pretty fun, for having such a small party we still kicked ass!

Kittonwy

Banned
sutdawg said:
I'll be on tonight.... same place, same time.
Last night was pretty fun, for having such a small party we still kicked ass!

Damn I can't believe I missed it!!!
angry.gif

Chrono

Banned
This thread is more about the online part now than single player but I guess it's still the Resistance thread so I"ll ask here...

Any tips on mastering the controls? :'(

Like settings for example, I pushed look sensitivity up to 5 and that helped a bit. More than that is too fast. I tried inverted controls then went back to the default ones. Is there any PS3 game on PSN that I can practice aiming with the sixaxis analog sticks? That might help. And before anybody starts laughing you should know I haven't played a console FPS since Perfect Dark on N4. Metroid Prime doesn't count. >_>

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Chrono said:
This thread is more about the online part now than single player but I guess it's still the Resistance thread so I"ll ask here...

Any tips on mastering the controls? :'(

Like settings for example, I pushed look sensitivity up to 5 and that helped a bit. More than that is too fast. I tried inverted controls then went back to the default ones. Is there any PS3 game on PSN that I can practice aiming with the sixaxis analog sticks? That might help. And before anybody starts laughing you should know I haven't played a console FPS since Perfect Dark on N4. Metroid Prime doesn't count. >_>

Just play through single player, you will get used to mastering the controls. To me its like second nature so the default controls are perfectly fine to me.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I mentioned this last night, did anyone else's game save get corrupted from the update? My entire game was wiped out and i JUST beat it on superhuman. I forget who i was talking to during one of the matches but apparently I'm not the only one its happened to.

Anyways, ill be on tonight for sure :D

edit: Thanks Kittonwy!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Tonx-

you was talking to me and someone else (can't remember who), I wasn't on superhuman but this happened b4 the update. I make it a option to backup all my data everyone once and a while. I think it was something I did in game, because I played it through with no problems to the part where i left off.

tanod

when is my burrito
g35twinturbo said:
Tonx-

you was talking to me and someone else (can't remember who), I wasn't on superhuman but this happened b4 the update. I make it a option to backup all my data everyone once and a while. I think it was something I did in game, because I played it through with no problems to the part where i left off.

I heard somebody say that it has to do with quitting the game while the HDD light is on. My game got corrupted once when I first got it.

So, after that, I would always "Save & Quit" in SP. For every PS3 game, I always get back to the main menu before I quit the game, just in case. I also don't turn off the system with the power switch.

You got to think about it more like a computer than the PS2, since it has a hard drive and an OS layer. It's like hitting the power button instead of Shutdown in Windows (e.g. not a good idea if you can help it).

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:
I heard somebody say that it has to do with quitting the game while the HDD light is on. My game got corrupted once when I first got it.

So, after that, I would always "Save & Quit" in SP. For every PS3 game, I always get back to the main menu before I quit the game, just in case. I also don't turn off the system with the power switch.

You got to think about it more like a computer than the PS2, since it has a hard drive and an OS layer. It's like hitting the power button instead of Shutdown in Windows (e.g. not a good idea if you can help it).

Man, I wan to backup the data on my PS3, but I don't have any USB devices that can hold 4 GB +. Why the hell can't the PS3 expose itself to the network so that I can copy shit off it to my computers?!?! ::cries::

rc213

M3Freak said:
Man, I wan to backup the data on my PS3, but I don't have any USB devices that can hold 4 GB +. Why the hell can't the PS3 expose itself to the network so that I can copy shit off it to my computers?!?! ::cries::

Got an Ipod? That will work to save the backup too.

The Jer

M3Freak said:

4 GB?

I only back up game saves. I can re-download videos and games and what-not pretty easily, if need be.

You can always move stuff over piece by piece, as well (a bit annoying, I know). That's how I ended up putting my music and and photos on the PS3.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
I thought this was interesting...
I've previously mentioned how the mood and tone of Resistance is quite similar to 28 Days Later, but I just saw some preview footage from the sequel 28 Weeks Later (which looks like it's shaping up to be pretty awesome, by the way)
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=535&item=0

and saw this brief shot:

28weekslatertunnelhd3.jpg

resistancetunnelrf9.jpg

Movies imitating Games imitating Life?

tanod

when is my burrito
Hey Kittonwy,

I just wanted to let you know that my wife likes the amusing cat pictures you use in the Sticky. :)

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
Hey Kittonwy,

I just wanted to let you know that my wife likes the amusing cat pictures you use in the Sticky. :)

Thanks.

Great idea on having a third team dedicated to attack the base in breach and while the x-ray team defends the nodes.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
Throwing a shout out to you guys that went ALLLLLLLLL night long. It was a night of firsts for me that I will never forget. ;)

Had some fun doing the CTF. As I said, I'm almost a 2-star general and I played my first ranked CTF game tonight. Also, played subway for the first time AFAI can remember. Also, like the balancing changes. Good stuff. That being said,

WHY THE **** DIDN'T WE GET ANY ASSAULT OR TEAM CONVERSION GAMES!?!?!?!?! Might want to check on that map/gametype algorithm for ranked. Results lag bug, Tags staying attached to dead bodies after you kill people, stats backlog. What the **** is this? :(
/rant
Blame Canada :p

Please fix this stuff soon, Insomniac.

Gaffers, something I noticed that you might want to check since patch stuff and it probably has more to do with 1.6 but check your mic sensitivity the next time you get on. I have mine set at 1, changed from 4. It was maxing out at every other mic level.

JB1981

I got a network error after that CTF game, guys. I tried to rejoin afterward, but you guys had already launched into a new game. I might see ya's tomorrow.

Angelcurio

I couldnt join the original party, but i am glad that i could join the late night party, as Aeon and m3freak baptized it. Its the first time i have played CTF.

Hope i can join you guys tonight.

Aeon712

I also missed the earlier party due to work and my need for fish sticks when I did get home:lol caused me not to start till about 12:30. Needed to feed the Resistance whore in me so gamed till 3am. Guys on offense that last CTF game missed me going back and forth with that 187 guy. M3 took his side over mine(insert Kittonwy crying smilie).

tanod

when is my burrito
Aeon712 said:
Guys on offense that last CTF game missed me going back and forth with that 187 guy. M3 took his side over mine(insert Kittonwy crying smilie).

What was that about? I didn't hear it. I got the impression though that the guy was a dick.

SleazyC

Was fun playing last night after not being able to play for over the last week and then some. Didn't really get enough taste of the new game modes but the carbine definitely hurts a lot more then it used too.

M3Freak

Banned
Safe Bet said:

No I didn't. I was just saying that that 187 dude _was_ pretty good.

At any rate, Aeon and that guy were trash talking each other because he was on the other side the first round. We lost two GAFers (they got disconnected), so when round 2 started, the round leveling kicked in and we got players from the other side.

He was saying that the GAF clan wasn't that great because we lost to them once already (we had _just_ played them in a previous match). Aeon went into a blind rage and yelled and screamed and cursed. Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad, but they were going back and forth for a while.

The 187 dude was a good sport though.

Aeon712

tanod said:
What was that about? I didn't hear it. I got the impression though that the guy was a dick.
He was all Gaf clan isn't that great cause they just beat us, and how he's so awesome cause he had a flag capture. He didn't like it when I called him the weakest link and the fact that he was weaksauce. He then made up an excuse about why Gaf has beat 187 many times before cause he wasn't there or he was a member of the skulls or something like that. The whole second round we went back and forth was a good time:).

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
He was all Gaf clan isn't that great cause they just beat us, and how he's so awesome cause he had a flag capture. He didn't like it when I called him the weakest link and the fact that he was weaksauce. He then made up an excuse about why Gaf has beat 187 many times before cause he wasn't there or he was a member of the skulls or something like that. The whole second round we went back and forth was a good time:).

The 187 dude also said we were doing better the minute he joined our side. Defence (Aeon and I) had a tough time the first time around, but with that guy things improved.

Then the guy left the flag defence to Aeon and I. Aeon and I had our asses handed to us within 30 seconds of that guy leaving. The flag was taken. We ran after the flag robber while Aeon cracked up the whole time because he couldn't believe what the 187 guy said had just come true. We died in the pursuit I think.

Those last few CTF games were damn hilarious, come to think of it. We had one match where we played really well the first round. Then on the second round (as humans), me and Tanod were screaming for one more person to come back help us defend. We were basically begging for help. I eventually switched squads to X-Ray and screamed at everyone else again. Then offence started screaming, and Aeon was yelling he was confused as hell about what the hell to do.

I switched back to Yankee (defence), and all of a sudden everyone was back at base defending the flag. We are all yelling and screaming at each other. Meanwhile, the Chimera bums show up and we're trying to hold them all off while we basically have a civil war on the mics.

Eventually things got sorted out and Tanod and I had the extra defender we wanted. Didn't matter though - we lost.

Good times...good times....

Earlier in the evening we had a brilliantly played Nottingham Meltdown (32) match. We decided to take only the three closest nodes and then go on defence for those three. The other side was screwed the minute we put that strategy into effect - they couldn't penetrate our node defences, and their reactor eventually blew up.

We repeated the exact same strategy three times last night (pretty sure it was four times). We even did on Somerset. Each time it worked very damn well.

Click was right - we should get what we need and then just hunker down. When we get greedy we usually lose or have a really hard time keeping things together.

Tanod's multi-squad idea sounded really dumb to me at first, but after doing it a couple of times, I think he's right. Basically for breach:

Base defence: Yankee
Node defence: X-Ray
Enemy base: Zulu

The extra squad is for 4 or 5 guys (at first) that just hammer the enemy base. When they die, they can squad spawn very close to the enemy base again instead of jumping around all over the place as we usually do when all offence/node defence goes to X-ray.

As the tide of the game changes to our favour, more people can join Zulu. The point is to keep sending an unending wave of attackers that just keeps getting bigger. It's the super wedge extreme!

We should try this agian tonight.

BTW, I don't like discussing strategy out in the open here. It would be nice if we had a private forum. Eventually people will learn what we're doing anyway, but it would be nice to have the upper hand as much as possible, for as long as possible.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
No I didn't. I was just saying that that 187 dude _was_ pretty good.

At any rate, Aeon and that guy were trash talking each other because he was on the other side the first round. We lost two GAFers (they got disconnected), so when round 2 started, the round leveling kicked in and we got players from the other side.

He was saying that the GAF clan wasn't that great because we lost to them once already (we had _just_ played them in a previous match). Aeon went into a blind rage and yelled and screamed and cursed. Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad, but they were going back and forth for a while.

The 187 dude was a good sport though.

What did I miss? Some sort of meltdown?
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
The 187 dude also said we were doing better the minute he joined our side. Defence (Aeon and I) had a tough time the first time around, but with that guy things improved.

Then the guy left the flag defence to Aeon and I. Aeon and I had our asses handed to us within 30 seconds of that guy leaving. The flag was taken. We ran after the flag robber while Aeon cracked up the whole time because he couldn't believe what the 187 guy said had just come true. We died in the pursuit I think.
I saved that guys butt plenty of times and made fun of him everytime he died. He was nothing but a decoy. I died when he left cause Angel shot at M3 I turned to shoot him and saw who it was and turned back around(next thing I know Angel is dead and I get laarked from behind, I thought Angel was still shooting at M3:lol. I never had so much fun on a lost before 3am games FTW.

Kittonwy

Banned
snipercat.jpg

^^ BEWARE OF TEH SNIPER!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!! MELTDOWN IMMINENT!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF NA Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I saved that guys butt plenty of times and made fun of him everytime he died. He was nothing but a decoy. I died when he left cause Angel shot at M3 I turned to shoot him and saw who it was and turned back around(next thing I know Angel is dead and I get laarked from behind, I thought Angel was still shooting at M3:lol. I never had so much fun on a lost before 3am games FTW.

I bet I'm a better decoy than that guy.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:

Yeah, what the hell was that. I saw him shooting at me and I'm thinking "WTH is wrong with this guy?". So, now I'm totally distracted.

Aeon is running around trying to figure out what's going on. Angel gets killed. Aeon gets laarked, and then I get the other one when I run over trying to help.

Core407

Banned
I pulled a major boner and reformatted my HDD, but forgot to backup my saves. I just started playing some more MP and have a couple matches under my belt, but my stats still say I haven't played a single match. I know it takes some time to update, but I played two matches last night and it's still not showing up.

M3Freak

Banned
Core407 said:
I pulled a major boner and reformatted my HDD, but forgot to backup my saves. I just started playing some more MP and have a couple matches under my belt, but my stats still say I haven't played a single match. I know it takes some time to update, but I played two matches last night and it's still not showing up.

Eeeek - that sucks. I have to backup my PS3 shit still - I know I'll do something stupid one day.

We're all seeing a stat backlog. We think it's because of Euroland hammering Insomniac's servers.

tanod

when is my burrito
For playing my first CTF games last night, I think I did fairly well.
LOL at the 187 guy saying we sucked and we did better because he switched to our team.

Well, no shit, it was 7 vs. 5 before, of course we did better you ****ing dolt.
Whoa, channeling David Jaffe there.

Had a good time last night, want to get on tonight to help reinforce some strategy changes and maybe we'll get something besides Meltdown. :)

I said it last night, "5 does not a wedge make," but the game is still fun.

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
What did I miss? Some sort of meltdown?
Indifferent2.gif

^Does this count as a pun?

Wow, first clan meet-up I miss in over two months and page 114 happens. I barely missed the "drunken roommate thing," too. :(

At least I got to hear about how quickly people can turn and tag people......

Anyways, I'm not yet sure whether or not I'll be on tonight either.

Top Bottom