• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
PistolGrip said:
hey guys so are the maps worth it? I'm thinking about picking them up today.

Yeah, they're really cool, one of them is HUGE, I mean HUGE.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Kill/death 1.296

1.3 tonight or bust
angry.gif

K/D 1.028, for me. Last night was absolutely horrible for me. I finished positive twice, I think. Every other round I was minus or broken even (minus more often, though).

Hopefully tonight I play better.

Remember: defense go to yankee.

Me: I'm on defense. Defense go to yankee. (I switch over).
A few guys: ok. (they switch over too)
Everyone else: WTF?! Why? Shut up already!! (I can't hear them)
Me: Guys? Guuuys? Why are there are only three of us on yankee?
Everyone else: .....
Me: ::cries a little::

And this is where we lose horribly because we're not playing as a team, or we get lucky and we play with bigger numb nuts than ourselves and we destroy them.

Meawhile:

Aeon: m3, you shotty whore, stop taking my defense kills.
m3freak: I'm trying to keep the enemy out of the reactor room/node area.
Aeon: .....
m3freak: oh shit, another guy coming!!
m3freak: (two seconds later) Forget it, I got him.
m3freaK: oh shit, another guy coming!!
Aeon: (picks up shotgun)
Aeon: Stupid Insomniac! The shotgun is still broken!
Aeon: (hugs his blankie)

GAF attack squad at another node:

kittonwy: I'm going in.
kittonwy: I'm dead.
(50 deaths later)
kittonwy: (kills a dude)
kittonwy: Ohhhh, I can KILL the other guys! Damn it, why didn't you guys tell me?
kittonwy: (aims at reactor)
kittonwy: (chugs a bear)
kittonwy: Shit, I suicided.

On another part of the map:

efirtlisdotcom: I sniped a billion guys.
sutdawg: he he
click: you bitches

Angelcurio

I couldnt make it into last nights game, i was so tired that i fell asleep as soon as i entered my room.

I really like the idea of playing on the defense, from now on i will be a regular in the Yankee team m3freak.

(50 deaths later)
kittonwy: Ohhhh, I can KILL the other guys! Damn it, why didn't you guys tell me?

:lol :lol :lol

Aeon712

Meawhile:

:lol

And I only pick it up so that the enemy doesn't, I don't use it unless I switch to it during combat.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
K/D 1.028, for me. Last night was absolutely horrible for me. I finished positive twice, I think. Every other round I was minus or broken even (minus more often, though).

Hopefully tonight I play better.

Remember: defense go to yankee.

And this is where we lose horribly because we're not playing as a team, or we get lucky and we play with bigger numb nuts than ourselves and we destroy them.

Meawhile:

(50 deaths later)

Tis ALL TRUE.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
37587452_6c0bf6bc38.jpg

^^ IF (TDM = "true") AND (beer > 5) AND (bullseye = "true") then (K/D>1) else (K/D < 0.1)!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!!

YOU DON'T FIND GB, GB FINDS YOU!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

FredFish

Played defense on the last match I was in tonight. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Had that whole "Oh no you don't...THIS IS MY HOUSE!" vibe going for it which I found rather appealing.

FightyF

Banned
ChryZ said:
I have to write this down while my memories are still fresh. Aeon and myself just ended up in a TDM. 16p (or maybe 32p, the map was pretty big) Manchester, first round chimera (we) vs humans (the others). Our team got pretty much slaughter, I got sniped so many times, it wasn't funny anymore. The others worked really well as a team, the sniper houses were protected by other team members. I was only able to crack their defense for once to kill their sniper. Many people of our team just quitted. F*cking cowards. Second round humans (we) vs chimera, not the best odds for payback, but I got so pissed and kicked ass beyond sanity. We won that f*cking round with 3 people left vs 8 people on the other side and scored around 800-400. Aeon first place with 38-23 and I'm second with 37-27 (second round score 22-8). It took like forever and was nothing but epic.My hands are still shaking. I'm spend.

I killed that damn sniper from the first round like 10-12 times :lol

Farkin Shweet!

FredFish: I agree. Playing D is a lot of fun and requires good communication and teamwork.

Speaking of D, I don't see why people aren't switching to Yankee. Granted, I never played in a over a week, but it seems like a gradual decline in doing so when playing over the last few months.

Squad Spawning is done to help the offense. Why spawn at your own node, when you can spawn right at theirs?

Even if we are playing n00bs and we know we're gonna kick their asses, we should still squad spawn because:

1) It'll help new guys who don't really understand it, to get used to it.
2) It'll help us get to the point where we can SP with a high success rate.

Maybe I shouldn't be talking since I'm not one of the better players out there...but I don't think I'm saying anything that isn't true.

patsu

M3Freak said:

Meawhile:

(50 deaths later)

Heh heh... isn't Resistance a great game ? It brings out the BEST in us.
What is that word I'm looking for...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My five-months-late-to-the-party-post:

Well, I finally beat the game on Normal. It was a good time, if quite easy (not that that's a complaint since obviously the playthrough was on Normal and not expected to be difficult).

I started a new game on Hard and I'm already in love with it. For one, even though it mentioned something about new weapons after beating the game on normal, I didn't expect to get them straightaway on the first level. And, more importantly, the challenge feels really fresh and requires the sort of refined strategic approach I'm now better able to pull off after beating the game on Normal.

Really looking forward to this playthrough, looking like I'll enjoy it even more than the first.

Haven't touched online and probably never will. Such are the costs of jumping in late.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
AstroLad said:
Haven't touched online and probably never will. Such are the costs of jumping in late.

You really shouldn't miss out as it's never too late. Easily the best online game I've ever played.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
AstroLad said:

The only analogy i can think of:

Not playing this game online is like buying a 1080p HDTV and only watch PBS through antennae.

This game online is seriously the shit, and should not be overlooked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know, I'm pretty mediocre at online FPSes (RS: Vegas is probably my best, and I have maybe a 1.2 ratio on that) and this strikes me as a particularly hardcore one (for a console) or at least one where it wouldn't be particularly fun to be constantly and hugely outclassed.

Plus I don't have a headset yet (although I might pick one up soon since I'm thinking of skipping Warhawk) and I like the SP campaign I think a lot more than most people do.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
AstroLad said:
I don't know, I'm pretty mediocre at online FPSes (RS: Vegas is probably my best, and I have maybe a 1.2 ratio on that) and this strikes me as a particularly hardcore one (for a console) or at least one where it wouldn't be particularly fun to be constantly and hugely outclassed.

Plus I don't have a headset yet (although I might pick one up soon since I'm thinking of skipping Warhawk) and I like the SP campaign I think a lot more than most people do.

Well the GAF clan isn't full of "elite" players but as a unit we can be very deadly. Playing alone might be discouraging if you do decide to hop online. However, when playing Free For All games, the matchmaking does pair you up with people of similar ranks/stats. If you hop into team games alone then you may get matched up against organized clans or parties and not have as much fun.

Playing with a team is a whole different experience. On clan nights we basically play a team deathmatch, then an objective game and go back and forth. For the objective games it involves a lot more strategy than skill. Kittonwy for example, has a pretty low k/d ratio (which is deceptive since at times he takes 1st in team deathmatch) but is one of our most important offensive forces in objective games. His k/d suffers because he takes a kamikaze approach to attacking their nodes. Also worth noting is that his w/l record is about 3:1. Niiiice.

We don't take the game too seriously and chatting with the team is usually half the fun (maybe a third of the fun since this game kicks so much ass). Just remember to pick on Aeon when you get your mic :D

tanod

when is my burrito
AstroLad said:
I don't know, I'm pretty mediocre at online FPSes

Never stopped me from playing. .8 for life.

Speaking of which, everybody needs to send me angry PSN messages between now and tomorrow so I get on and play. Use lots of emoticons.

Damn my RPG backlog to hell! :mad:

jjasper

AstroLad said:
My five-months-late-to-the-party-post:

Well, I finally beat the game on Normal. It was a good time, if quite easy (not that that's a complaint since obviously the playthrough was on Normal and not expected to be difficult).

I started a new game on Hard and I'm already in love with it. For one, even though it mentioned something about new weapons after beating the game on normal, I didn't expect to get them straightaway on the first level. And, more importantly, the challenge feels really fresh and requires the sort of refined strategic approach I'm now better able to pull off after beating the game on Normal.

Really looking forward to this playthrough, looking like I'll enjoy it even more than the first.

Yeah the game is definately better in Hard mode and the new weapons are pretty cool. The flashback grenade makes a huge difference in some of the bigger battles. If you think Hard is fun wait till you give superhuman a try.

tanod

when is my burrito
Seeing astrolad's impressions has inspired me to go back through this thread and find links to all my gushing about this game as I found new things I liked.

GAF search is very unfriendly to finding a list of posts inside a thread. This is gonna take a while.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
tanod said:
Seeing astrolad's impressions has inspired me to go back through this thread and find links to all my gushing about this game as I found new things I liked.

GAF search is very unfriendly to finding a list of posts inside a thread. This is gonna take a while.

Heh, yeah I had to dig back through the thread to find some strategies for how to approach the game at first, but I wound up making a new post anyway after only finding a few. Gigantor threads can be a mixed blessing.

Kittonwy

Banned
Clan play takes Resistance to a whole different level for me, as much as I liked the single player campaign, the online play is simply awesome and shouldn't be missed for anyone who has the game.
Indifferent2.gif

Madman

AstroLad said:
Heh, yeah I had to dig back through the thread to find some strategies for how to approach the game at first, but I wound up making a new post anyway after only finding a few. Gigantor threads can be a mixed blessing.
The online is Resistance is excellent. You HAVE to try it. Once you get into it, there's no getting out.

I wish I could enjoy resistance :( I was getting terrible motion sickness (to the point of almost vomiting) and had to stop. Funny thing is I only had a few stages left to go.

Aeon712

Kittonwy said:
That somerset meltdown game where we came back in the second round and won by a hair because we got back to 4-2 was AWESOME.
Was the first one we played? If so that was the objective I was part of. Was loads of fun and proved why Meltdown is the best objective game.
AstroLad said:
Youre banned but I'll still write that playing with us is all about fun, ask my friend he's been going 0-20 some games :lol, he's finally started the single player today.
Beatbox said:
Just remember to pick on Aeon when you get your mic :D
:(

careksims

BTW a lil OT!

JStevenson! Ratchet demo was great! I was so surprised they even had it there at the convention. I loved using the groovitron thingy.

Of course we appreciate Kaching! :]

Nos_G

Glad to see I wasn't dropped from the clan due to my MIA status. I'll be playing regularly at this point, since I have my own PStriple to call my own. (had one on loan from my bro)

Anyway, I had a weak showing last night, but it was still lots of fun. At one point my H350 bt headset was going bonkers, so I apologize for any static or anything that was being transmitted on my side.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
careksims said:
BTW a lil OT!

JStevenson! Ratchet demo was great! I was so surprised they even had it there at the convention. I loved using the groovitron thingy.

Of course we appreciate Kaching! :]

Yup, lots of good response from people who played it at Comic-Con.

You'll see more coverage of RCF soon, check out out podcast Thursday for details.

FredFish

Just remember to pick on Aeon when you get your mic :D

Now now. Sure, he has a problem with jonesing for the shotty but the frequent family dramas (last night he made an 8 year old cry because he wouldn't share his beer or something) we get to hear in the background from his mic more than make up for that little flaw.

PleoMax

Banned
I haven't tried the multiplayer.

Just wanted to share my SP opinion, solid. The game doesn't do anything in great fashion, but it's solid and enjoyable, if very forgetable.

Not in the mood for some MP right now, gonna download that Hs demo, i can't believe how much shit i've missed in 17 days.

Aeon712

FredFish said:
Now now. Sure, he has a problem with jonesing for the shotty but the frequent family dramas (last night he made an 8 year old cry because he wouldn't share his beer or something) we get to hear in the background from his mic more than make up for that little flaw.
OMG you just confused me with M3, You are now on my Ignore list.

Kittonwy

Banned
PleoMax said:
I haven't tried the multiplayer.

Just wanted to share my SP opinion, solid. The game doesn't do anything in great fashion, but it's solid and enjoyable, if very forgetable.

Not in the mood for some MP right now, gonna download that Hs demo, i can't believe how much shit i've missed in 17 days.

Multiplayer is the best part of Resistance, not playing multiplayer is like ordering a full steak dinner, eating the appetizer and having the soup, filling up on the bread but skipping on the freakin' 32oz steak which is rare, juicy and melts in your mouth on the inside and charred on the outside, appropriately served with horse radish instead of some cheap-ass steak sauce bullshit. MP is the main course.
Indifferent2.gif

Nos_G

Aeon712 said:
OMG you just confused me with M3, You are now on my Ignore list.

For the record, it probably wasn't a twist top. Even a full grown man, unarmed, cannot open said beer. Poor kid.

:p

Kittonwy

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I'm getting a PS3 this week with Resistance. Should I start on normal or hard?

Can you handle hard?

It doesn't matter, log online and play multiplayer with us, that's the part that gets those of us in the clan hooked since November.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom