• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

M3Freak

Banned
Man, I want to capture some of my FFA games, and our clan nights, but I don't have anything decent to do that with!! There should be support in the PS3 OS or in the game itself for recording your games.

I wonder if there simply isn't enough CPU horsepower left idle to record when the PS3 is running a game. If so, a decent video camera is the only option.

The AVCHD cameras are looking nice...

sutdawg

M3Freak said:
Man, I want to capture some of my FFA games, and our clan nights, but I don't have anything decent to do that with!! There should be support in the PS3 OS or in the game itself for recording your games.

I wonder if there simply isn't enough CPU horsepower left idle to record when the PS3 is running a game. If so, a decent video camera is the only option.

The AVCHD cameras are looking nice...

Do it!!! I could use a good laugh... I can't see a better way then watching you get owned in a FFA game. OK, watching Aeon get owned in a FFA game would be funnier. Or if you can videotape Aeon running all the way to work(with his Mario hat) the next time someone gets shot on his way to the bus... now that has instant classic written all over it! :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Kittens-In-Pots--C10284416.jpg

^^ IT'S AN AMBUSH... BY BARRELZZZ!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

TUESDAY NIGHT!!!

GAF COME BACK WITH YOUR BARRELZ... OR IN IT!!! NOMNOMNOM!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

FightyF

Banned
I got an HD cam but my bro lent out the tripod.

Plus, it takes a while and lots of HDD space on my PC, to edit and all that jazz. The best solution is probably a capture card that can cap HD, but AFAIK those costs thousands. :p

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
exarkun said:
Hey guys is the new map packs required for game night (Ive never played on clan nights)?

Not yet, but once they integrate the maps into the normal game searches (in the next week or two) we will probably make one or two of the clan nights require the new maps.

Aeon712

sutdawg said:
Or if you can videotape Aeon running all the way to work(with his Mario hat) the next time someone gets shot on his way to the bus... now that has instant classic written all over it! :lol
:lol

JoeFenix

I rented this game a couple days ago. Finished single player and really dug it.

I need some people to play Multi with because just jumping in wasn't all that much fun.

Anyone wanna play? PSN ID is JoeFenix. I got the day off so I'll be checking this thread often. I wanna give the multi a fair shot because you guys seem to be all over it.

pswii60

A story about Resistance.

I played through Gears of War. Then I played through Resistance and despite enjoying it, thought it wasn't as good.

But now that I've just played through Gears of War again, I think Resistance is definitely the better game.

In fact, I've now fallen in love with Resistance and can't sodding wait for the sequel. Not that Sony won't have a ton of great games coming out to keep me going until then, but still.

Resistance really has a Halo vibe in the last section of the game though. I hope they pull that through in to the sequel and take it out of the WWII setting, and perhaps actually on to other planets or something (Nathan could get sucked up by a UFO!). The possibilities are, as they say, endless.

Resistance is definitely a grower and Gears is definitely a shrinker.

tanod

when is my burrito
JoeFenix said:

I need some people to play Multi with because just jumping in wasn't all that much fun.

Anyone wanna play? PSN ID is JoeFenix. I got the day off so I'll be checking this thread often. I wanna give the multi a fair shot because you guys seem to be all over it.

We're playing tonight. Read post #9608.

JoeFenix

tanod said:
We're playing tonight. Read post #9608.

Not sure I want to join in your ranked matches. I don't know the maps and probably wouldn't do very good.

Was looking for someone to play some unranked with.

tanod

when is my burrito
JoeFenix said:
I don't know the maps and probably wouldn't do very good.

Then you would fit in with 90% of people in the clan. We're just a bunch of GAFfers getting together for fun. Everybody is welcome.

Also, unranked is generally not near as fun as ranked. Some would say it is shit, relative to ranked games. The limited weapon sets, unlimited ammo, one hit kills and stuff like that really ruin the really great balance and fun this game has.

Plus, using the matchmaking to join the ranked games is fast and works really well.

Try PMing kaching to see if he can add you tonight so you can grab somebody to play with if you don't want to do ranked games with us. Otherwise, try logging into Resistance at around 8PM EST (1 hour before our normal start time) and send a message to one of the following to see if they'll play a couple games with you:

efertlisfotcom, bige, kittonwy, aeon712, click, sutdawg, methane47, jstevenson, bobthefork, tanod, m3freak

I would recommend at least trying to play a few games with us.

jjasper

pswii60 said:

I played through Gears of War. Then I played through Resistance and despite enjoying it, thought it wasn't as good.

But now that I've just played through Gears of War again, I think Resistance is definitely the better game.

In fact, I've now fallen in love with Resistance and can't sodding wait for the sequel. Not that Sony won't have a ton of great games coming out to keep me going until then, but still.

Resistance really has a Halo vibe in the last section of the game though. I hope they pull that through in to the sequel and take it out of the WWII setting, and perhaps actually on to other planets or something (Nathan could get sucked up by a UFO!). The possibilities are, as they say, endless.

I really don't think that the sequel will be in a WWII setting. Although I think it will directly continue the story but it will be set in Europe which the Chimerian have completely taken over so while it will still be on Earth in 1940's or 1950's, it will look futuristic (more like the later stages) due to all the Chimerian architecture.

JoeFenix said:

CaliChronz I'll add you :D

exarkun said:
Hey guys is the new map packs required for game night (Ive never played on clan nights)?
Beatbox said:
Not yet, but once they integrate the maps into the normal game searches (in the next week or two) we will probably make one or two of the clan nights require the new maps.
Mehhh I haven't bought that stuff :/
pswii60 said:

The Bullseye is the shiznit :p

methane47

tanod said:
Resistance at around 8PM EST (1 hour before our normal start time) and send a message to one of the following to see if they'll play a couple games with you:

efertlisfotcom, bige, kittonwy, aeon712, click, sutdawg, methane47, jstevenson, bobthefork, tanod

I would recommend at least trying to play a few games with us.

/sniffle

Wow... I actually made it onto a list of recommended people to play with? especially since My first time playing was last monday..

/sniffle

My life is complete....

tanod

when is my burrito
I was just trying to think of people who have been playing recently.

Don't get sappy on me noob. ;) Suck it up.

methane47

JoeFenix said:
Not sure I want to join in your ranked matches. I don't know the maps and probably wouldn't do very good.

Was looking for someone to play some unranked with.

Listen to what tanod said... Ranked games are games of skill and tactics and strategy.. While the unranked games are games of who can get the one hit kill first... The first game I played on Resistance Multi was unranked and was actually really good because there was no one hit kill rule nonsense.. so It played fine... then I went strickly ranked for a couple days.. then over the weekend I tried unranked again and saw how crappy the games are...

They are realllly really retarded... with unlimited ammo and grenades... people are literally spraying bullets in every direction while at the same time constantly throwing hedgehog grenades everywhere... its a pretty crappy experience to say the least...

If you want to play resistance multiplayer... go ranked... Don't worry too much about your ranking because... Resistance Ranks are TOTALLY difference from Socom ranks.. in that you ONLY go up in rank.. you can't lose anything... So I've seen people online with 50k deaths with 25k kills and they were supreme comanders... Your kill death ratio is unimportant unless you want a big epeen.

PS: That being said... I missed the SOCOM ranking system... as broken as it was... it still created a kind of class system of elites who could obtain some of the higher ranks....(I got to captain for like 3 hours before i lost my wings..) and you could truly appreciate your score/rank/title

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Man....i played for the first time in a LONG time last night....holy crap I love this game....why did i ever buy Oblivion and let that consume my life?

I got schooled pretty hardcore but i still had a blast and the update is really nice...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pswii60 said:
I think they can take it out of the 50s era easily enough but it'd lose something if they started planet hopping. I think the mythos of the game is well-grounded in a mystery that's yet to play out fully on Earth and going interplanetary would smack of jumping the shark. They've established some form of pre-existing Chimera presence because of the excavated pyramids that were already there, have barely scratched the surface with some of the earthly factions at play here (The Cloven, Covert US forces) and of course the origin of the Chimera on Earth and whether they are alien or something else remains to be determined. Earth itself can become an unfamiliar planet due to the alternate history + the continued efforts of the Chimera to terraform.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
methane47 said:
Listen to what tanod said... Ranked games are games of skill and tactics and strategy.. While the unranked games are games of who can get the one hit kill first... The first game I played on Resistance Multi was unranked and was actually really good because there was no one hit kill rule nonsense.. so It played fine... then I went strickly ranked for a couple days.. then over the weekend I tried unranked again and saw how crappy the games are...

They are realllly really retarded... with unlimited ammo and grenades... people are literally spraying bullets in every direction while at the same time constantly throwing hedgehog grenades everywhere... its a pretty crappy experience to say the least...

If you want to play resistance multiplayer... go ranked... Don't worry too much about your ranking because... Resistance Ranks are TOTALLY difference from Socom ranks.. in that you ONLY go up in rank.. you can't lose anything... So I've seen people online with 50k deaths with 25k kills and they were supreme comanders... Your kill death ratio is unimportant unless you want a big epeen.

PS: That being said... I missed the SOCOM ranking system... as broken as it was... it still created a kind of class system of elites who could obtain some of the higher ranks....(I got to captain for like 3 hours before i lost my wings..) and you could truly appreciate your score/rank/title

unranked isn't that bad if you play on the all sniperz matches. those are freaking awesome indeed!

all snipers and snipers and carbines. love those.

sutdawg

tanod said:
efertlisfotcom, bige, kittonwy, aeon712, click, sutdawg, methane47, jstevenson, bobthefork, tanod, m3freak

Who is this Aeon712 you speak of? I see him posting in here but I never see him playing!
Canadia > Aeon712 :D

tanod

when is my burrito
methane47 said:
I hate the bullseye... i get tagged by it too much on multi...

After some practice, you'll be tagging with the best of 'em. I used to think it was cheap and thought that people were cheating when I would get tagged by somebody 50 ft. away and jumping off of one of the tree walk-ways in Somerset at the same time.

Now that's me doing that. :D

otake said:
carbine is the best weapon in the game.
Not in MP, it's not. In SP, it's the shit.

Where the **** is Aeon, anyway?? Did he start following Maroon 5 around on tour?

womfalcs3

Banned
methane47 said:
I hate the bullseye... i get tagged by it too much on multi...

Shake the controller to shake off the tag. It may not always help because the enemy may have the gun pointed at you anyway, but for those cases where the gun isn't, it'll help greatly. It'll save you a few deaths here and there.

When I started playing I hated the bullseye because I didn't know how to use the tagging properly... but lately it's become one of my favorites (now that I'm good at using it of course).

kaching said:
I think they can take it out of the 50s era easily enough but it'd lose something if they started planet hopping. I think the mythos of the game is well-grounded in a mystery that's yet to play out fully on Earth and going interplanetary would smack of jumping the shark. They've established some form of pre-existing Chimera presence because of the excavated pyramids that were already there, have barely scratched the surface with some of the earthly factions at play here (The Cloven, Covert US forces) and of course the origin of the Chimera on Earth and whether they are alien or something else remains to be determined. Earth itself can become an unfamiliar planet due to the alternate history + the continued efforts of the Chimera to terraform.

Exactly.

They need to keep it on the Earth for at least the next game. Too much left to do and reveal.

methane47

womfalcs3 said:
Shake the controller to shake off the tag. It may not always help because the enemy may have the gun pointed at you anyway, but for those cases where the gun isn't, it'll help greatly. It'll save you a few deaths here and there.

When I started playing I hated the bullseye because I didn't know how to use the tagging properly... but lately it's become one of my favorites (now that I'm good at using it of course).

Yeah I know about shaking and so forth... and I love the bullseye when I'm in a close quarters fire fight... because I'm usually good enough with my headshots that I can take care of 2-3 people before they get me (if they dont have a shotty)

But it almost seems unreal that I can be zigzaging through trees jumping on boosters flying over walkways.. only to see a guy pop around a corner full speed and tag me on his first attempt...

Its just alittle annoying how accurate some people are with tagging.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
methane47 said:
Its just alittle annoying how accurate some people are with tagging.

It needs to be said you dont have to be terribly accurate to tag someone in the first place.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
It needs to be said you dont have to be terribly accurate to tag someone in the first place.

Tagging someone in the head versus tagging in the torso can make a pretty big difference if both of you have the bullseye or if the other guy has a shotgun, and especially if you're outflanking a handful of guys. If you miss with a tag against someone who's good, you might not get a second chance.

Kittonwy

Banned
dralla said:
that's why tagging is cheap, it's so easy to tag people. 2 tags per BE + increase range of Carbine plz

Carbine already got the headshot upgrade. The Bullseye balances out something like the sniper rifle in somerset. If someone has you in his sights with the carbine and you missed the first tag, you won't get the chance for a second tag, not to mention you have the 40mm as the secondary fire which is instant kill. Also Bullseye vs. Arc Charger often goes to the Arc Charger, the weapons are actually pretty balanced now.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
dralla said:
that's why tagging is cheap, it's so easy to tag people. 2 tags per BE + increase range of Carbine plz

the Carbine already has a nice range imo

nothing more satifying for than an Auger kill:D , its not the best weapon but its my favorite

Maverick

I'm about to break down and buy a PS3 because of this thread.

Resistance sounds like good fun online. I'm pretty much done with Gears online. The game just seems really limited, and I haven't even played online all that much.

My problem is that I'm basically spending $500+ to play Resistance at this point since Madden seems better for 360 and GTAIV got delayed.

Think this game's lasting appeal online is good enough for me to keep playing my PS3 into 2008? What appeals to me is the community aspect, which seems really strong.

pswii60

Maverick said:

Resistance sounds like good fun online. I'm pretty much done with Gears online. The game just seems really limited, and I haven't even played online all that much.

My problem is that I'm basically spending $500+ to play Resistance at this point since Madden seems better for 360 and GTAIV got delayed.

Think this game's lasting appeal online is good enough for me to keep playing my PS3 into 2008? What appeals to me is the community aspect, which seems really strong.

There are more than enough games to keep you playing your PS3 until 2008 even without Resistance. If it's more online gaming you're after, you've got Warhawk, SOCOM and Unreal Tournament before the end of the year. Also you've got games like Ratchet, Uncharted, Haze, etc.

Firewire

Banned
Maverick said:

I've played my PS3 more than I ever did my 360, and its all because of Resistance and well for some reason I like getting my ass handed to me by the Japanese guys in RR7.

Resistance online never feels old. Easily my favorite online game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Maverick said:

your paying for POTENTIAL:lol

no, but seriously, there's plenty of things to justify the purchase of ps3... Although I shouldn't talk mine pretty much collects dust. If you have an HDTV bluray alone is truly worth it. Resistance is incredible online, single player is great too so much replayability, both online and off. The medals online keep it interesting, it's very challenging, but alot of fun. Also the amount of teamwork involved is great, you'll see just how much depth there truly is in the game. Also learning to use all the guns the right way is a fun challenge, learning to use bullseye traps, how to use the air brake with laark, how to destroy nodes with the arc charger, or 2 hand grenades etc. It's truly an incredible onlineexperience , especially for a launch game, and insomniac continues to update/improve the experience.

Also if you buy one now, in a month you can get the next best online experience, warhawk, incredible fun:D

pswii60

Firewire said:
I've played my PS3 more than I ever did my 360, and its all because of Resistance and well for some reason I like getting my ass handed to me by the Japanese guys in RR7.

Resistance online never feels old. Easily my favorite online game.

You really had a 360?

Top Bottom