• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Aeon712

Wollan said:
Does anyone know the average number of players login in each day for Resistance? JStevenson?
Whatever the number is times it by .70 to get the number of shotty whores :mad:).

Maverick said:
I'm about to break down and buy a PS3 because of this thread.

Resistance sounds like good fun online. I'm pretty much done with Gears online. The game just seems really limited, and I haven't even played online all that much.

My problem is that I'm basically spending $500+ to play Resistance at this point since Madden seems better for 360 and GTAIV got delayed.

Think this game's lasting appeal online is good enough for me to keep playing my PS3 into 2008? What appeals to me is the community aspect, which seems really strong.
Take it from somebody who spent over 600 to play Resistance(That and I needed a pick me up after the Eagles lost to the Saints) that it's worth it. Single player is great, Co-op is easier but even more fun. Online with the clan is beyond awesome. Been playing it like 3-5x a week since January and I'm still not tired of it minus the shotty whores.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Whatever the number is times it by .70 to get the number of shotty whores :mad:).

Take it from somebody who spent over 600 to play Resistance(That and I needed a pick me up after the Eagles lost to the Saints) that it's worth it. Single player is great, Co-op is easier but even more fun. Online with the clan is beyond awesome. Been playing it like 3-5x a week since January and I'm still not tired of it minus the shotty whores.

LAWLZ.
gstongue.gif

careksims

Maverick said:
I'm about to break down and buy a PS3 because of this thread.

Resistance sounds like good fun online. I'm pretty much done with Gears online. The game just seems really limited, and I haven't even played online all that much.

My problem is that I'm basically spending $500+ to play Resistance at this point since Madden seems better for 360 and GTAIV got delayed.

Think this game's lasting appeal online is good enough for me to keep playing my PS3 into 2008? What appeals to me is the community aspect, which seems really strong.

LOL! It's because of THIS VERY THREAD, I went out and got a PS3 and Resistance back in Feb. :D

exarkun

With the Auger, I find it hard to take people out. Is it cause the gun isn't worth using unless shooting it through walls or should I just start aiming better? it just seems that every time I get into a close conflict with someone and I have an Auger, I get pwned. Every once in a while I take them out buuuut thats few and far in between.

Aeon712 said:

IF X = Number of "shotty whores" on Resistance

IF Y = Number of times Aeon has complained about "shotty whores" in Resistance

IF Z = Number of beers Kittonwy has consumed while playing Resistance

THAN (3X = Y) < Z

Math is fun.

Kittonwy

Banned
exarkun said:
With the Auger, I find it hard to take people out. Is it cause the gun isn't worth using unless shooting it through walls or should I just start aiming better? it just seems that every time I get into a close conflict with someone and I have an Auger, I get pwned. Every once in a while I take them out buuuut thats few and far in between.

Yes, with the auger you'll have to aim better. Use secondary fire to shield yourself while going one on one, the auger is actually more powerful than either the bullseye or the carbine.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

THAN (3X = Y) < Z

Math is fun.

It's true. It's ALL TRUE.
Indifferent2.gif

methane47

exarkun said:

Auger is pretty strong... and it gets stronger every time it goes through a wall... The problem that I've found with it and why its not that great for close combat.. is because the actual projectiles from the gun are alot slower than other guns... so you need to lead your target a lot more if you want to hit them... and worst of alll the fire rate is abysmal... These problems lead the Auger to be more of a defensive gun... One you use while you are running away... Then a gun that you are using to try to run someone down...

Firewire

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

THAN (3X = Y) < Z

Math is fun.

:lol
Does he stagger around in the later rounds!

exarkun said:

Augers are weak when unobstructed. They pick up strength as they pass through objects.

So, if you just shoot somebody straight away with the Auger, you are going to need a lot of shots/headshots to bring 'em down. If you throw four or five layers of Auger shield out there first though, and shoot through those, they will be toast with one hit. Even just one shield or wall makes a huge difference. Of course, an Auger burst takes a bit of time to pass through all those layers, so there is a trade-off.

(You can also use your teammates in front of you to shoot through and increase the strength of your Auger! Pretty funny tactic to employ when you want to really take out a node with it, and you've run out of shields.)

Listen to Kittonwy RE: the Auger. The man may be drunk, and a hoser, but he knows what he's talking about. :lol

methane47

Pristine_Condition said:

*pictures a guy with 14 cats stumbling around his house saying SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM with that randy savage voice of his... *

womfalcs3

Banned
exarkun said:

You know what I love the auger for? In 32p Manchester, I get one and go up to one of those round-about towers, and just shoot through the walls pointing towards the other tower. It goes through them all and blows up all the explosive barrels in its sight.

Ah the multiple kills/auger master good times.

patsu

I find that a steady stream of Auger through the wall kills "instantly". But if I spread my rounds, I often get pwned due to the slow rate of fire.

I am an Auger whore in the small Manchester map (The one with a courtyard and 2 LAARK spawn points). I like to hide in the Auger room or the adjacent one and fire upon incoming enemies coming through the doors. The spike grenade near the door helps to weaken/kill them too.

I am a shotty whore in the Mall (when sweeping the rooms). An Auger works well too if you have a partner. Sometimes I switch to Far Eye. The Mall is my favorite level. :D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
womfalcs3 said:
You know what I love the auger for? In 32p Manchester, I get one and go up to one of those round-about towers, and just shoot through the walls pointing towards the other tower. It goes through them all and blows up all the explosive barrels in its sight.

Ah the multiple kills/auger master good times.

or the Mall

Maverick

pswii60 said:
There are more than enough games to keep you playing your PS3 until 2008 even without Resistance. If it's more online gaming you're after, you've got Warhawk, SOCOM and Unreal Tournament before the end of the year. Also you've got games like Ratchet, Uncharted, Haze, etc.

Ah, I thought SOCOM was delayed until 2008? Don't know much about Warhawk (never played the PS1 original).

Anyway, sounds good to me, fellas. Worst case scenario I've got a Blu-ray player and good online game for the next few months.

One more thing (and sorry to derail the topic) - how is the net code? One of the reasons that I don't play Gears anymore is because of the lag. My gameroom needs to be on a wireless network, and I've heard some negative things about PS3's wireless speeds - is this going to be an issue?

Thanks for the help!

Maverick said:
Ah, I thought SOCOM was delayed until 2008? Don't know much about Warhawk (never played the PS1 original).

Don't know about SOCOM. Sorry.

Warhawk is pretty awesome. I only got to play the beta for five days though before it ran out... Even if you had played the PSOne original, this one is so different that it could have been named something entirely different.

Maverick said:
One more thing (and sorry to derail the topic) - how is the net code? One of the reasons that I don't play Gears anymore is because of the lag. My gameroom needs to be on a wireless network, and I've heard some negative things about PS3's wireless speeds - is this going to be an issue?

Thanks for the help!

It is as close to a no-lag experience you are going to find anywhere. Even with 40-player games. Pretty amazing really.

There was a time right when the global servers went online where things were pretty buggered up for two weeks or so, but now, it's smooth as it ever was. Which of course means consistently smoother than any console FPS I've ever played, and right up there with the top PC experiences too.

If your router is good wireless shouldn't be a problem. I had mine in an upstairs-downstairs situation running off a standard Apple Airport Extreme base station ( a router which, in reality, isn't really that "Extreme" as far as range goes) for a few months, and it worked great.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Maverick said:
Don't know much about Warhawk (never played the PS1 original).
It doesn't have a lot in common with the original anyway, except for the fact that they nailed flight dynamics of an agile VTOL aircraft just like they did in the original. It's more akin to a Battlefield style MP game at this point, with a more arcade feel.

sutdawg

Maverick said:

Anyway, sounds good to me, fellas. Worst case scenario I've got a Blu-ray player and good online game for the next few months.

Thanks for the help!

I've been wireless since the release and I haven't had many problems. The only problem I encounter is when there's a bad thunderstom in the area, I'll get knocked off line. Still haven't be able to figure out if it's the PS3 wifi or just crappy Verizon DSL. There were definately some bugs at release but most if not all have been fixed with the firmware updates.
I won't worry much about it though.

sutdawg

Pristine_Condition said:

THAN (3X = Y) < Z

Math is fun.

:lol :lol :lol

Firewire

Banned
Guys if you're playing tonight someone invite me, please!
Someone invited me last Tuesday I think, got two messages 1st was blank & then 2nd one dissapeared! I pm'd kaching last week but got no response :(

PSN: Spartan666

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm so totally playing you guys tonight. I'm home, just a matter of time now }^)

PSN:eek:take-tux

tanod

when is my burrito
dralla said:
it doesn't lag.
at all. We report people who noticeably lag as cheaters, because that's how rare it is.

I'll definitely be on tonight. See you guys at 9:00. Until then, I'm gonna go play some DQ8.

JS and Bob, you better be on tonight. This is our last chance to wish Bob luck for this weekend and to give JS shit before they travel to the Big Apple for the tournament.

I better hear some NeoGAF clan shoutouts on the coming podcast, btw. :D

roxya

Regardless of the quality of your wireless network, it's always far better to be wired where online gaming is concerned.

I have to start playing this online sometime ¬_¬ too many SP games to finish

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Whoever from the GAF clan is up tonight please send a buddy invite to Bloody_Marcel (that's me) so that I can join some matches while I wait for the Clan invite to show up (Kaching sent me one yesterday but didn't show up oddly).

I'll be online (logged into Resistance) for the next 6 hrs so that I can receive/accept buddy invites. Wont be able to play today tho since I've got work to do. But at least I should be ready for the future.

Thanks

EDIT: Thank you TONX :)

I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I would love a patch that gave us an announcer for multi similar to Halo 2. I don't mean a similar voice but a voice that told you important info like 'orange team has the flag', 'one minute remaining' etc. I don't like taking my eyes away from the action to find out what's going on.

dralla

Yea, the lack of an announcer sucks. The UT games have the best one by far. The lady from the Campaign should do it in Resistance.

careksims

Bearillusion said:
I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I would love a patch that gave us an announcer for multi similar to Halo 2. I don't mean a similar voice but a voice that told you important info like 'orange team has the flag', 'one minute remaining' etc. I don't like taking my eyes away from the action to find out what's going on.

No way! Hearing an announcer would take me out of the game. I like our radio chatter better. Sounds way more hectic. When you watch our nodes take a beating, the chatter intensifies it all.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
TTP said:
EDIT: Thank you TONX :)

No problem, good times playing Lexington and Nottingham with ya. I'm stoked to play tonight. :D

Bearillusion said:

They do have it in Resistance, but its not an announcer. They have subtle noises for when a flag is taken, dropped, when your team is losing, winning, or when times almost up. I prefer that to an announcer IMO.

Kittonwy

Banned
dralla said:
Yea, the lack of an announcer sucks. The UT games have the best one by far. The lady from the Campaign should do it in Resistance.

The team who is on top of things can always read the text that pops up. The last thing I want is to have some annoying announcer telling the other team I have teh flag when I'm off running back to my base, or when one of our teams have taken down echo in somerset assault so we can quietly go about augering the hell out of the other team's base node, and the announcer freakin' announces it so the other freakin' team all spawn there. Jeebus.

NO ANNOUNCER PLEASE. THIS GAME AIN'T UT.

angry.gif

patsu

:lol That's right. Don't spoil the secret sauce. I think it's more tense that way.

It's better to hear our clan's groans and rawrs than the computer's emotionless announcements anyway.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
are you guys playing? I'm in the lobby, what's the game name?

FightyF

Banned
careksims said:
No way! Hearing an announcer would take me out of the game. I like our radio chatter better. Sounds way more hectic. When you watch our nodes take a beating, the chatter intensifies it all.

Exactly.

Plus, if we don't notice it, then it's our fault. It takes out the element of surprise if there was an announcer.

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
damnit, we have to get to 10k posts before i leave for NYC. BTW great games tonight. The auger only match was teh best.

301 posts in how many days?
Indifferent2.gif

The auger rounds were fun, people were putting up auger shields and I'm just shooting through them for more damage.
gladtomeetya.gif

purg3

slept with Malkin
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

The auger rounds were fun, people were putting up auger shields and I'm just shooting through them for more damage.
gladtomeetya.gif

Haha, those were fun even though I'm absolutely terrible with that gun.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

gladtomeetya.gif

U mean the Auger shots deal more damage when going through the shield?

Top Bottom