• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

patsu

Steroyd said:
Oh yeah how the fuck does everyone kill me faster when I'm one on one with someone (i.e Carbine vs Bullseye, Bullseye vs Bullseye or Carbine vs Carbine), I swear they've gimped the weapons I hold because the bullets must be weaker even when i aim at their heads it's like 70/30 not in my favour, and damn those shotgun bastards. >_<

Do I just generally suck with the machine guns, because when we went the Auger only match I killed BobtheFork twice in one round.... I'd probably never be able to say that ever again and it was most probably because of the slower rate of fire.

I found out that if I twist my left thumb "violently" and quickly, I can stay alive longer in a gun fight, but I have to aim at the enemy's head as well. I am not an aggressive player though, so I usually settle for "cruising" pace. :)

Oh and give the heads up when your going to use those purchasable maps, for GAF nights, i haven't purchased them yet, because i fear the PSN stores incredibly low pricing on everything will make me spend a crapton unintentionally.

Me too ! But I still fell for the maps. Take care.

FightyF

Banned
patsu said:
Did you see the Six-plumed Bird in disc 1 ? That is one wierd creature.

The one that put up it's wings, and it looked like it had a blue smiley face on it? That was nuts.

I only saw the first disc, the 4 different episodes.

My jaw dropped in the beginning when the view was focused on a few birds, and then it zooms out to reveal hundreds if not thousands. Seeing that in 480p or even 720p for that matter, it wouldn't have been as impressive.

Actually I got a quick question...since we're off topic anyways :p, I hooked up my PS3 via HDMI and I made sure to allow the sound come thru via HDMI, but when I move around in XMB, I don't hear a click when I move from option to option. But when I scroll down a list, I start hearing them. But individual clicks, they cut in sometimes but are usually not audible. But games and movies sound perfect. *shrug*

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BobTheFork said:
O-o massive packers fan!!! Too bad they are going to suck again. and for the next few years until they get a crazy QB draft pick. At least the eagles will play like an expansion team this year and I don't have to grieve alone. I'll be on in the next hour or so.

My boy Brandon Jackson could be the Rookie of the Year for the Packers. :)

Maverick

Picked up a PS3 last night and hooked up Resistance.

You guys weren't kidding. This game is really fast, responsive and fun - and absolutely no lag. I didn't even start the single-player. I jumped right in online, played a few tam deathmatches, and then went on to Objective games with 15 players on a side, and that's where the real fun began. The level design was great. I think I played on Somerset mostly (some forest area with a town in the center).

My PSN name is SeanCon. I should be on tonight after I finish some All-Pro Football league games.

JdFoX187

Banned
Got my PS3 back last week and have been playing Resistance sporadically. Is there a way to constantly play large-scale matches? I hate going into games and it's like three on three and it takes forever to find anyone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JdFoX187 said:
Got my PS3 back last week and have been playing Resistance sporadically. Is there a way to constantly play large-scale matches? I hate going into games and it's like three on three and it takes forever to find anyone.

If you do ranked, I think the smallest match I was in was around 10 and they fill up very quickly. All in my limited experience.

M3Freak

Banned
Hey guys, just thought I'd drop a note if anyone's wondering where I am.

I've been busy this week, so I haven't been able to play. On Friday I'm heading out to Montreal with the family, so I won't be playing Friday or this weekend either.

I should be able to make it for next Tuesday's clan night, though. See you all then!

Oh, I'm going to leave my PS3 on in remote play mode. The hotel we're going to be staying in has free Internet access, so I'm going to take my PSP with me. I'll hopefully be able to try out the remote play over Internet feature for the first time.

JdFoX187

Banned
AstroLad said:
If you do ranked, I think the smallest match I was in was around 10 and they fill up very quickly. All in my limited experience.
Yeah, ranked is all I play and that's mainly Team Deathmatch. I've all but quit Team Objective because about every game I play is either three vs three or four vs four.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JdFoX187 said:
Yeah, ranked is all I play and that's mainly Team Deathmatch. I've all but quit Team Objective because about every game I play is either three vs three or four vs four.

Yeah, I don't even do any of the team stuff on ranked anymore, just solo. Much prefer just muting everyone and as awesome as Resistance is, playing with random people is the same as it ever was.

methane47

JdFoX187 said:

Stop playing Capture the Flag...

for some reason CTF is usually 3v3 or 4v4 for me... not because of player caps but because people quit.

M3Freak

Banned
methane47 said:

for some reason CTF is usually 3v3 or 4v4 for me... not because of player caps but because people quit.

People quit because the games are too LOOOOOOOONG. CTF games should be capped at 20 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, per round.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
M3Freak said:
People quit because the games are too LOOOOOOOONG. CTF games should be capped at 20 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, per round.

How convenient to feel bored when you're are losing 2 to 0.

methane47

M3Freak said:

people quit within the first 2-3 minutes... every time a play a CTF it always ends up being me defending.. and two of my partners teabagging a hedgehog grenade in enemy territory...

I hate to lose as much as the next guy.. but I rather stick through it and suffer a loss then have too many quits on my record..

dralla

M3Freak said:

Objective games should be 1 round. no one wants to sit there and play an hour long game everytime they go into the objective playlist

M3Freak

Banned
dralla said:
Objective games should be 1 round. no one wants to sit there and play an hour long game everytime they go into the objective playlist

Nah - I like the two round setup, as do most, if not all, of the regulars, I'm sure.

The only bit of tweaking needed is perhaps capping CTF games. Assault and Breach can get dragged out too, but those are usually a lot of fun, whether they're short or long. Long CTF games just get boring.

careksims

M3Freak said:
Nah - I like the two round setup, as do most, if not all, of the regulars, I'm sure.

The only bit of tweaking needed is perhaps capping CTF games. Assault and Breach can get dragged out too, but those are usually a lot of fun, whether they're short or long. Long CTF games just get boring.

Objectives being only one round!? Hell no! If you lose one round and that's it. 2 rounds you get a chance to get back at them.

I agree with CTF being the only one that needs tweaking. Long drawn out Assaults and Breach are the best :D. Rack up those defense kills! Clan play is the best way for these games.

tanod

when is my burrito
I agree that CTF needs some tweaking. It is definitely the least fun of all of the game modes.

2 rounds on objective games is necessary because you play each race one time. It's fair and makes the second playthrough unique that way. It also gives you a chance to read the opposing team's tactics or lack thereof.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like any mode/match where I can get a K/D>1.25, but in my experience they come up way too rarely. Like twice in all of the games I've played or something. Way to go, Insomniac.

JdFoX187

Banned
methane47 said:

Is there a way to choose which gametypes you want to play? I always wanted to play Breach and Assault but I can count the number of times I've played them combined using my fingers.

patsu

FightyF said:
The one that put up it's wings, and it looked like it had a blue smiley face on it? That was nuts.

Yes. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a real life Pokemon.... or a YuGiOh monster. It's unreal.

I only saw the first disc, the 4 different episodes.

My jaw dropped in the beginning when the view was focused on a few birds, and then it zooms out to reveal hundreds if not thousands. Seeing that in 480p or even 720p for that matter, it wouldn't have been as impressive.

Only have 720p monitor here :(

Actually I got a quick question...since we're off topic anyways :p, I hooked up my PS3 via HDMI and I made sure to allow the sound come thru via HDMI, but when I move around in XMB, I don't hear a click when I move from option to option. But when I scroll down a list, I start hearing them. But individual clicks, they cut in sometimes but are usually not audible. But games and movies sound perfect. *shrug*

Hmmm haven't noticed that. I use DVI and optical to my sound system though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh, didn't realized that the little cell phone bluetooth headset would work on PS3, but now I can try it out! I'll try to log on sometime tonight to try it.

methane47

JdFoX187 said:
Is there a way to choose which gametypes you want to play? I always wanted to play Breach and Assault but I can count the number of times I've played them combined using my fingers.

HA so I was RIGHT!!

Come play with the clan. we almost never play CTF matches...

sutdawg

tanod said:
I agree that CTF needs some tweaking. It is definitely the least fun of all of the game modes.

I agree, I think if they made respawn times a little longer in CTF that would cut out most of the hour long CTF games. It just seems as though people respawn at their flag way too quick.
I played a CTF game(at manchester) the other day with a bunch of random people. Round 2, I started off by playing defense for like 10 minutes, and neither team scored. I went and hid under the stairs in the one building, so I could go take a shower. I came back and the game was 1-0 with about 10 minutes left. I ended up capturing the flag once but the game ended up going the distance. Oh yeah, and the first round ended up being 1-0 and also going the distance.

dralla

I don't think the style of the game works well for CTF in general. there's a ton of people, which means people constantly respawning at the flag, and humans can infinitely sprint w/ the flag. maybe just have CTF games on small maps with a small number of people.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I think im in the minority with the CTF matches being fine. Thats where i get the most Defender kills from. =P

Ok, got my tourney travel info fianlly. Anyone who is planning to be there. I'll be playing at the GS at 33rd and broadway in NYC at 1030am. Unfortunatly because of limited space in the store, the players aren't allowed to hangout and watch other matches. That just means that I won't be in the store until 15 minutes before my match, but I play second so not that long of a wait. If I win that match, I play again at 1230 to see whos in the finals. I'll b later tonight. I still have allot of crap to finish up before I leave.

Aeon712

TONX said:
I think im in the minority with the CTF matches being fine. Thats where i get the most Defender kills from. =P
Meltdown>CTF for defender kills, and everyone knows just how much I love CTF greatest mode ever. Nothing like wasting an hr cause the other team wants to all stay by their flag.

Though i'm a little late to this, I just picked up a PS3 last month with Resistance. Due to work and playing on Hard the first time through, it took me until today to complete the game. I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay and the narrative, yet this is what lead me to be disappointed with the ending. Even the endings for Halo 2 and Gears brought a sense of closure to me greater than this game. I know there's an inevitable sequel that should explain far more but there's things rooted in the entire narrative that are constantly brought up in a teasing manner without even a semblance of understanding at the end....Cloven anyone. Loved the game just disappointed in this aspect.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
purnoman3000 said:
Though i'm a little late to this, I just picked up a PS3 last month with Resistance. Due to work and playing on Hard the first time through, it took me until today to complete the game. I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay and the narrative, yet this is what lead me to be disappointed with the ending. Even the endings for Halo 2 and Gears brought a sense of closure to me greater than this game. I know there's an inevitable sequel that should explain far more but there's things rooted in the entire narrative that are constantly brought up in a teasing manner without even a semblance of understanding at the end....Cloven anyone. Loved the game just disappointed in this aspect.

Come on now. Compared to the Halo 2 one, Resistance ending was like the Heroes season finale. :lol

IMO Resistance story/ending was quite appropriate for a "starter" episode. Yes, the Cloven thing is teasing, but it's offered to those that investigate the documents scattered around the levels. The main story per se was pretty clear to me.

purnoman3000 said:
I know there's an inevitable sequel that should explain far more but there's things rooted in the entire narrative that are constantly brought up in a teasing manner without even a semblance of understanding at the end....Cloven anyone. Loved the game just disappointed in this aspect.

There are a lot of hints and little inferences dropped throughout the game though, particularly the morse code transmissions (from the dead special ops soldiers you see along the way). There was a post on the myresistance forum awhile back that translated and detailed all that stuff but I lost the bookmark, maybe someone still has the link?

For me the whole teasing of the "bigger picture" kinda made the Resistance universe pretty intriguing in the end. Perhaps to better affect than if they laid thick on the plot from the outset. Resi 2 should benefit in that respect.

ok, im done for the night. I'm going to miss all 3 gaf nights this weekend. KittonWY is in charge until I return. damn so close to 10k.

careksims

BobTheFork said:
ok, im done for the night. I'm going to miss all 3 gaf nights this weekend. KittonWY is in charge until I return. damn so close to 10k.

Good luck and god speed! We know you'll kick all of their asses!

I turned off auto-aim on accident and then said "why not?!" boy was I getting whooped lol. Made me wish I was using K/B controls for it. Turned back on and what a difference it makes.

Nightz

Meh, internet disconnected me and I couldn't get back on for a while. I was looking forward to playing a lot tonight too :\

Kittonwy

Banned
My god in that Nottingham Assault game, some non-GAF hobos were like, "DON'T ATTACK TEH NODE!!!"

I wuz like, "I can't hear ya over my auger fire... ok lemme throw my hedgehog in there wutchusay?"

Indifferent2.gif

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
dralla said:
why wouldn't you attack a node?

It was a clan of losers that care more about k/d than winning or having fun. Our team was up two guys and then 3 in the first round. Not a single one of them would attack their base with us. They just stayed back and tried getting kills. The second round we were up 10 guys to 5 and they did the same thing. After we took their two nodes and started rushing their base they tried telling us to not finish their base off so they could "spawn camp" and get more kills. That sure makes their 3 to 1 k/d ratio laughable.

Kittonwy

Banned
SecretAgentKittonwy.jpg

^^ BEWARE FOR I HAVE MASTERED TEH... GUN KATAS!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

FRIDAY NIGHT!!!

IT'S GONNA BE... NOT WITHOUT INCIDENT RAWR!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

Aeon712

Beatbox said:
It was a clan of losers that care more about k/d than winning or having fun. Our team was up two guys and then 3 in the first round. Not a single one of them would attack their base with us. They just stayed back and tried getting kills. The second round we were up 10 guys to 5 and they did the same thing. After we took their two nodes and started rushing their base they tried telling us to not finish their base off so they could "spawn camp" and get more kills. That sure makes their 3 to 1 k/d ratio laughable.
That reminds me of that one ctf game we played where I had the flag and was ready to score and some guy told me not to score yet so we can raise our k/d. I was like hells no Gaf isn't like that :lol.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Aeon712 said:
That reminds me of that one ctf game we played where I had the flag and was ready to score and some guy told me not to score yet so we can raise our k/d. I was like hells no Gaf isn't like that :lol.

lolz. Forgot to mention that because of those nerds we won the first round but didn't even finish off their reactor.

As a result of the lack of games on the PS3 (besides F1:CE) since its release in Switzerland, i bought Resistance.

Finished the campaign in co-op with a mate and trying it now on my own on a higher level. Amazing game! Just recently started playing online. Looking forward to play some matches with you.

Today I'm playing with you guys, I've got nothing planned for tonight so... It's going to be really late where I live but since Saturday is tomorrow I don't care.

Edit: Hell yeah!!! (New page) This thread is enormous

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Steroyd said:
Now that I'm part of the clan (yay me) do I still have to beg to beatbox to join the party?
No, you shouldn't have to - whoever is forming the party just invites whoever is listed as online in the clan member list. As long as you're not already in a match, of course.

Top Bottom