• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
RobertM said:
Yes, I want Killzone 2 too.

Killzone controls just isn't butter like Resistance controls. Nothing better than jumping down from an upper floor while tagging and emptying a clip into someone from the other team on my way down.

B-Ri

Maggot9 said:
Is it strong? As strong as DS2 rumble?

it doesnt get in the way but you feel it. I havent played on a DS2 in so long i dont remember how strong it was. Its a SUPER solid controller, its a gigantic drastic difference holding a DS3 compared to a sixaxis. I was completely immersed in gameplay when i was using an auger shield to block those HUGE chimeras cannon shots. 5.1 surround sound going crazy from the explosion and the effects it had on my "hearing in game", and feeliung the damn thing as im shooting the auger, it was good times.

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
Killzone controls just isn't butter like Resistance controls. Nothing better than jumping down from an upper floor while tagging and emptying a clip into someone from the other team on my way down.
"HOW THE HECK DO THEY SPIN AND TAG LIKE THAT!
THEY FALL AND SPIN AND TAG - ALL IN THE AIR!
WHAT THE HECK!"

Barakov

Kittonwy said:

Let's wait for that kind of talk until all of us had hands on time with Killzone 2.

Kittonwy

Banned
The Jer said:
"HOW THE HECK DO THEY SPIN AND TAG LIKE THAT!
THEY FALL AND SPIN AND TAG - ALL IN THE AIR!
WHAT THE HECK!"

I wuv that shit when Ima teh one doing it to other people!!!
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Fighting against you is soo funny cause you'll keep firing tags sometimes till one connects :lol.

Sometimes I would miss like a bunch of tags and sometimes I would nail like 5 tags in a row, it's kind of weird that way.
angry.gif

B-Ri

has the MP been rebalanced? i stopped playing when the game would just spawn you on one side of the map and the other side was dominated by 7 snipers somehow getting amazing luck headshots.

So I just got a PS3 (with the bundle) and I'm suprised how much I enjoyed the single in this game (I'm normally a FPS-PC only guy) but it is REALLY frustrating with checkpoints and odd enemy spawns. I've finished it once and I'm going it through on hard this time but goddamn I hate going through the same 3-4 encounters again just because some chimera dude spawned in on the prevoisly cleared path behind me...

That said I'm really looking forward to Resistance 2. :)

Basch

Basch said:
Hey, everybody! Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on something we have all been expecting. Thanks to PSM3, it seems... Well let me just say it now...

Resistance 2 has been confirmed!

In 2008 no less. Insomniac, I am very thankful for all of your hard work and am incredibly excited for this game. It seems that Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch want to take over the world what with all the good games they have released and the ones that have yet to come out. I really do think that these three developers are probably the best in the business.

With that said, how about a screenshot for New Years? :lol

In all my excitement, I posted this in the wrong thread. But lets be fair, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to post the news in the Resistance: Fall of Man MP Official Thread. :lol

Well, now, let's discuss! :D

TEH-CJ

Banned
Basch said:
In all my excitement, I posted this in the wrong thread. But lets be fair, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to post the news in the Resistance: Fall of Man MP Official Thread. :lol

Well, now, let's discuss! :D

This is the day, the world ends........again.

Wollan

Kittonwy said:
Killzone had probably the most refined dual analog control of any PS2 shooter. With the improved PS3 controllers I'm sure Guerrilla will be at the cutting edge of control refinement with KZ2 (with that said, I must give kudos to Infinity Ward from going from 'eh-um okay' dual analog control in COD2 to the kings of console gaming fps control in COD4. It's just perfect.).

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wollan said:
Killzone had probably the most refined dual analog control of any PS2 shooter. With the improved PS3 controllers I'm sure Guerrilla will be at the cutting edge of control refinement with KZ2 (with that said, I must give kudos to Infinity Ward from going from 'eh-um okay' dual analog control in COD2 to the kings of console gaming fps control in COD4. It's just perfect.).

I have to agree with that

cod4 controls are responsive and perfect.

Basch

The link didn't translate over to my previous post with the confirmation of Resistance 2. So, for those that missed it...

Resistance 2 is confirmed!

The link also contains some other interesting information on this game and others as well. The article stated that Resistance 2 has been in development for some time now: full production, for those that wanted to know. The global unveiling is set for the early part of the new year.

I don't know what to expect. I am so excited for this game. I just got my copy of the first one about a week ago and have already played Single Player, Multi-Player, and Co-Op. I finished the Campaign in a little over 20 hours. From start to finish, I was so thoroughly immersed into the world of Resistance. I have got to say, this is one of my favorite games of all time. It is so good that I have already started the Campaign over, but this time on hard. The story is simply that good and remarkably well presented. I thought the characters were very believable and I actually cared about what would happened to them. These elements and more make Resistance 2 one of my most anticipated games as well.

Now, let's make predictions. What do you guys think will happen?
Do you think Nathan Hale will be playable? Who do you think the Chimera are? What are the intentions of the Clovin? How is the rest of the world affected by the Chimerean invasion? Is it? How far has the Chimeran threat been able to reach?

Basch

~Devil Trigger~ said:
not quite "confirmed" but its a givin that Disrupter 2 is in the works for Fall 2008:lol

What is this Disruptor? Does it have a connection to Resistance? On a side note, I've always wanted to say this. Thanks a lot European mass media and religious figure jerks for not allowing Insomniac to destroy your country some more. :D Seriously, Insomniac should just show one huge cinematic of Europe getting completely annhilated. But to be fair, they should also show America getting completely trashed, except for Sioux Falls, South Dakota: got to keep Nathan Hale's and my heritage alive. Then they should start the game in Japan. :D

EktorPR

Guys, I'm about to take the plunge into Resistance...just downloaded the demo to whet my appetite until later tonight. But by doing that, I unleashed a can of worms: Y'see, I don't consider myself a marksman, but I tend to shoot at things very well (we're talking game-wise, here :p). YET, the demo seemed very difficult for me, to the point that I couldn't advance too far thru the first area without getting killed by those monstrous motherfuckers. The unforgiving health bar didn't make things better. Now I'm worried I won't be able to tackle on this game, much less enjoy it. Any tips?

Firewire

Banned
EktorPR said:
Guys, I'm about to take the plunge into Resistance...just downloaded the demo to whet my appetite until later tonight. But by doing that, I unleashed a can of worms: Y'see, I don't consider myself a marksman, but I tend to shoot at things very well (we're talking game-wise, here :p). YET, the demo seemed very difficult for me, to the point that I couldn't advance too far thru the first area without getting killed by those monstrous motherfuckers. The unforgiving health bar didn't make things better. Now I'm worried I won't be able to tackle on this game, much less enjoy it. Any tips?

I think to a degree its difficult for every one at first. Keep at it you will get better, the only real suggestion I can give is aim for there heads you can get fast kills that way & its a important for the online battles!
Seriously though there is a learning curve to Resistance, you'll get the hang of it fairly quick if you keep at it.

EktorPR

Firewire said:
I think to a degree its difficult for every one at first. Keep at it you will get better, the only real suggestion I can give is aim for there heads you can get fast kills that way & its a important for the online battles!
Seriously though there is a learning curve to Resistance, you'll get the hang of it fairly quick if you keep at it.

I'll have to try and aim for their heads. The demo only gives me a pair of automatics and some shit that goes thru cover/walls, so it won't be easy. Oh well...

Btw. do I have you within my PSN friends? I don't think so.

I'll PM you in a minute. :D

Basch

EktorPR said:

The aim-sensitivity can be changed to your liking. If I remember right, the default is four and the max setting is ten. I put mine at six, for now. I will set mine to eight later: probably after I beat the Campaign on hard. I aim for the head almost all the time. But sometimes it is quite hard to do in a fire fight as the enemies perform an incredibe suppressive fire ability. Use cover whenever you can, and try to flank the enemies whenever possible. Once you get past the first level, the health bar won't be a problem. I'm serious when I say this too. In my opinion, it is just right. It does not make the game easy, but not unforgiving either. The best part is there is a story to explain it. You will understand once you get to that point. :D

tanod

when is my burrito
EktorPR said:

On the first level which is the demo, I think, you don't have the regenerating health. It does make that first level much more difficult than the levels that follow. Just try to keep your distance and see if you can find a better position to fire from.

In the full game, your health regenerates up to the next quarter of your life bar so it eases the difficulty, encourages the use of cover and reduces the emphasis on getting health packs. The way it's set up though, the limited regeneration keeps you from trying to rush through a section of a level to skip it (like you can in some sections of Halo) because you may end up with only a quarter of your health and a ways to go until the next checkpoint. Checkpoints don't come frequently in this game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:

I find COD4 controls, at least in SP which I've played, clunky compared to Resistance (SP and MP), in Resistance the controls are like butter, jumping from a higher ledge and take someone out with the bullseye/40mm/carbine/laark happens regularly in MP, in comparison I found COD4 controls very limiting and slow. KZ2 will probably follow more of the COD4 scheme because it's trying to be semi-realistic in its weapon and movement approach but to be honest Resistance offers hell of alot more speed and flexibility for those of us who have been playing the game for a long time.

The demo level is like the third or fourth level so your health is regenerating by that level I think.

I still remember playing that demo before I got my PS3 I was blown away by how good the A.I. was. The demo was probably only on normal too.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
EktorPR said:

what level is the demo?

cuz if its the begining, then i understand what you mean, the health system does'nt kick in till Hale gets infected

Firewire

Banned
EktorPR said:
The demo only gives me a pair of automatics and some shit that goes thru cover/walls, so it won't be easy. Oh well...

Never played the demo, because I got Resistance on launch day, but hell it seems they give you the Auger in the demo? Its a very effective weapon in tight spots, and the more objects it goes through the more powerful it is when it hits an opponent. Also hitting L1 will bring up a shield (if equipped with the right rounds) that your enemy won't be able to fire through.

EktorPR

InterMoniker said:
The demo level is like the third or fourth level so your health is regenerating by that level I think.

I still remember playing that demo before I got my PS3 I was blown away by how good the A.I. was. The demo was probably only on normal too.

Ok...didn't notice the regeneration happening in the health bar, I'll look for it next time.

So, what you're saying is that *gulp* it's going to be an uphill battle for me...I could deal with that, if the game offers enough incentive to do so. Judging by the legions of fans this game has, the incentive is there so I'm going to take the plunge anyway.

EktorPR said:
Ok...didn't notice the regeneration happening in the health bar, I'll look for it next time.

So, what you're saying is that *gulp* it's going to be an uphill battle for me...I could deal with that, if the game offers enough incentive to do so. Judging by the legions of fans this game has, the incentive is there so I'm going to take the plunge anyway.
Not necessarily, you should just start the game on easy when you get it. It's still a good challenge on easy.

Basch

EktorPR said:
I'll have to try and aim for their heads. The demo only gives me a pair of automatics and some shit that goes thru cover/walls, so it won't be easy. Oh well...

Btw. do I have you within my PSN friends? I don't think so.

I'll PM you in a minute. :D

Just a warning, the Auger, the weapon that can shoot through walls, gains strength with every wall/hard object it passes through. The con to this gun is that it takes forever to travel through multiple objects and that it does not have a high ammo capacity. It can only fire seven to eight shots per clip so you can time your attacks as well. Some pros for the gun is that it is great for taking snipers and stationary enemies out and that the power increases with every object the bullets pass through. The Auger also has a nice secondary fire which generates a rectangular shield in front of you. You can shoot through it, but enemies cannot shoot back at you. The downfall to this is that it doesn't last forever (also needs special ammo) and enemies with Augers as well can shoot through the shield.

By the way, I think the guns you start with are semi-automatic: you can fire single shots. The secondary fire slings grenades (with special ammo) and it has a high firing rate and ammo capacity. The downfall would be the how weak it is and range doesn't make it any better.

Those are just a few hints. Let me know if you have any more problems. You will get more weapons as well after the first level. Remember, though, that these guns are made to be unique. So don't expect standard fare. The weapons are incredibly well balanced, as well. :D

Firewire

Banned
EktorPR said:

The more you play through the game, the more exciting it will become. The story plus the levels & the amount of enemies just gets better throughout the game. When I first started playing it I couldn't put it down. The single player portion of the game is quite long & most have enjoyed it so much they've played the SP numerous times ramping up the difficulty every play through.

Firewire said:
The more you play through the game, the more exciting it will become. The story plus the levels & the amount of enemies just better throughout the game. When I first started playing it I couldn't put it down. The single player portion of the game is quite long & most have enjoyed it so much they've played the SP numerous times ramping up the difficulty every play through.
Yup thats what I did I started it on easy then I wanted to play it again so I turned up the difficulty and it took me way longer to beat! The A.I. Insomniac has in this game is the best I've seen at times.

God I'm getting hyped for the sequel. I hope there are vehicles in mutiplayer this time around. I wish they would make the zoom like COD4 on the machine gun too. It kind of annoyed me how it just snapped forward.

The grenades are just perfect though I love how you throw them in this compared to COD4. Being able to hold down the grenade till it almost blows in your hand (or "cook" the nade") is cool sometimes, but I'd rather be able to huck them far and quick like in Resistance.

Firewire

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Yup thats what I did I started it on easy then I wanted to play it again so I turned up the difficulty and it took me way longer to beat! The A.I. Insomniac has in this game is the best I've seen at times.

God I'm getting hyped for the sequel. I hope there are vehicles in mutiplayer this time around.

I not sure I would start on easy. I didn't have that many problems on my first play through on normal. Theres the obvious learning curve but you get used to it fairly quickly. I'm on my second play through of Super Human, making this the 4th time I played the SP.

Firewire said:
I not sure I would start on easy. I didn't have that many problems on my first play through on normal. Theres the obvious learning curve but you get used to it fairly quickly. I'm on my second play through of Super Human, making this the 4th time I played the SP.
Holy shit I got to man up on hard mode.

Sony needs to get on the Home/trophy stuff so we can all check out each others achievements. I think Wollan or some one said that the trophies will be straight in the XMB so you don't have to go launch home or something.

Just highlight a friend in your list and check out his trophies and stuff. Hopefully thats how it goes.

Basch

Firewire said:

I started on Normal as well, and I thought the difficulty was just right (for Normal, of course). I started a Campaign on hard just a while ago. It is pretty fun. But then again, I like challenge. But, Super Human? There is a fourth difficulty setting? Awesome! I know what I will be doing once I beat the game again on Hard. :D

Firewire

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Holy shit I got to man up on hard mode.

Sony needs to get on the Home/trophy stuff so we can all check out each others achievements. I think Wollan or some one said that the trophies will be straight in the XMB so you don't have to go launch home or something.

Just highlight a friend in your list and check out his trophies and stuff. Hopefully thats how it goes.

Yeah I hope they do have achievements viewable through the XMB one day. As for being on my 4th play through, it doesn't mean all that much when it comes to online play! Ever since I joined the GAF Resistance clan I've been owned by pretty well by every member in the clan. I generally come in last place in the matches. Seriously guys like Kittonwy, M3, Aeon, efertlis, BobtheFork & Tanod have fucking crazy stats.

andycapps

Really glad to see that Resistance 2 has been confirmed for Fall of 2008. RFOM is still keeping most of my gaming time online. First post here, account finally got approved after months of waiting. Glad to finally be on the boards here.

Edit: Basch- Mine is set to 7 I believe. Coming from PC shooters, the default sensitivity was just too slow for me.

Basch

Firewire said:
Yeah I hope they do have achievements viewable through the XMB one day. As for being on my 4th play through, it doesn't mean all that much when it comes to online play! Ever since I joined the GAF Resistance clan I've been owned by pretty well by every member in the clan. I generally come in last place in the matches. Seriously guys like Kittonwy, M3, Aeon, efertlis, BobtheFork & Tanod have fucking crazy stats.

I don't think I am that great either. I think it is quite amazing that people can fire off tags like nothing, especially when Humans are in Full Sprint. :D

Firewire

Banned
Basch said:
By the way, what is everyone's aiming sensitivity in the game? How is max settings?

Right now 7, I generally move it around though depending on how I'm playing on any given day. 8 & up is kinda insane for locking on to people, your movement just becomes so fast. (Well for me anyways!)

andycapps said:
First post here, account finally got approved after months of waiting. Glad to finally be on the boards here.

Welcome!

The Jer

EktorPR said:

It certainly may end up being an uphill battle. But, it'll be a fun one. Just enjoy playing and don't worry about "being good" and crap like that. And you'll get better.

This isn't my first console FPS (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo, Black). And, honestly, I was restarting alot my first time through on normal difficulty. So, don't worry if you spend alot of time restarting. I think it's just part of playing this game. On my second play through (on hard) I hardly ever restarted and finished each level much faster and easily. I haven't played black ops, yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, because...

MP is where this games shines. The SP is awesome, but the online MP is incredible. It's why the game has such a following. And Insomniac continues to give attention to it and make improvements and make sure it runs smoothly. Honestly, the best online experience I've ever had. YOU MUST TRY PLAYING THE GAME ONLINE. and hit up the GAF clan; it's good fun. Also, it can be hard to find good custom games (especially if you don't know what to look for), so you may just want to hit up ranked games.

I played the demo after I played the game. I don't think the demo does the game justice. It shows how nice the controls are, but little else. It wasn't one of my favorite missions. The first and third levels were, by far, my favorite. But most people on GAF prefer the later levels (because of the better textures (?)). And the game needs to be taken as a whole, imo.

That being said, I don't want to "over-pimp" the game. The popularity (perhaps over-popularity) of Halo made me have impossibly high standards, that no game could ever meet. And it, kind of, ruined the game for me. I wasn't able to have a more realistic view and enjoy the game for how wicked awesome it was/is until much later.

Hope to see you online sometime.

PSN: TheJer

patsu

I use the default sensitivity, and yes I still play Resistance whenever I can.

My PS3 is now occupied by wife and kid because of Everyday Shooter and Operation: Creature Feature respectively. So I'll be out of action again for the whole week as I commute to work on a project. While I am glad that they finally understood Daddy's passion, the child inside me is b*tching for more gaming time.

That second PS3 proposal is looking mighty attractive lately.

Firewire said:
Thats intimidating! :lol I have to start playing Resistance online some more. I was in the clan but I never met up with people at the right time so they booted me. Some people have invited me in to but I always get the message late and get "Game Full" :p

Plus I've been playing COD4 (lev. 32!) the leveling up is addicting every online shooter should have it, unless it's unbalanced. There's a couple things that piss me off in COD4 like when people choose the perk martydom when you die and drop a grenade, not fun. I've also got into Warhawk too. I'll go back to Resistance for a while before the sequel :)

Top Bottom