• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

The Jer

Firewire said:
I not sure I would start on easy. I didn't have that many problems on my first play through on normal. Theres the obvious learning curve but you get used to it fairly quickly. I'm on my second play through of Super Human, making this the 4th time I played the SP.
Basch said:
I started on Normal as well, and I thought the difficulty was just right (for Normal, of course). I started a Campaign on hard just a while ago. It is pretty fun. But then again, I like challenge. But, Super Human? There is a fourth difficulty setting? Awesome! I know what I will be doing once I beat the game again on Hard. :D

I would agree with both of you. Start on normal. I've played a few of the levels on easy, and it wasn't all that fun. Start on normal. re-starting alot is fine. If you end up getting too completely frustrated then go back and start playing easy.

Basch

andycapps said:
Really glad to see that Resistance 2 has been confirmed for Fall of 2008. RFOM is still keeping most of my gaming time online. First post here, account finally got approved after months of waiting. Glad to finally be on the boards here.

Edit: Basch- Mine is set to 7 I believe. Coming from PC shooters, the default sensitivity was just too slow for me.

Welcome! I need to bump mine up too. I am at six. I think I will go up to eight. I enjoy high sensitivity.

andycapps

firewire said:

Thanks!

Since someone brought up joining the GAF clan for this, would love to join this if there is still room. Remember reading a while back that the North America clan was full. Any info on that? My current clan is pretty nonexistent. While I don't play every night due to family obligations and work, I haven't played with anyone from my clan since shortly after the game was released. :lol

Firewire

Banned
The Jer said:
Hope to see you online sometime.

PSN: TheJer

Watch out for this guy! He had some serious ownage going on Friday or was it Saturday night. He's right up there with the other guys, awesome player!

Same goes for Patsu, all these guys are seriously fucking good!

And I suck huge! :(

Basch

Now, what do you guys think? I will referrence a previous post of mine... Do not uncover the spoiler if you have not beaten the game.

Basch said:
The link didn't translate over to my previous post with the confirmation of Resistance 2. So, for those that missed it...

Resistance 2 is confirmed!

The link also contains some other interesting information on this game and others as well. The article stated that Resistance 2 has been in development for some time now: full production, for those that wanted to know. The global unveiling is set for the early part of the new year.

I don't know what to expect. I am so excited for this game. I just got my copy of the first one about a week ago and have already played Single Player, Multi-Player, and Co-Op. I finished the Campaign in a little over 20 hours. From start to finish, I was so thoroughly immersed into the world of Resistance. I have got to say, this is one of my favorite games of all time. It is so good that I have already started the Campaign over, but this time on hard. The story is simply that good and remarkably well presented. I thought the characters were very believable and I actually cared about what would happened to them. These elements and more make Resistance 2 one of my most anticipated games as well.

Now, let's make predictions. What do you guys think will happen?
Do you think Nathan Hale will be playable? Who do you think the Chimera are? What are the intentions of the Clovin? How is the rest of the world affected by the Chimerean invasion? Is it? How far has the Chimeran threat been able to reach?

Firewire

Banned
andycapps said:
Thanks!

Since someone brought up joining the GAF clan for this, would love to join this if there is still room. Remember reading a while back that the North America clan was full. Any info on that? My current clan is pretty nonexistent. While I don't play every night due to family obligations and work, I haven't played with anyone from my clan since shortly after the game was released. :lol

We have basically one very large clan now. To get into it you have to PM Kaching (think I got that right), and ask to be invited into the clan. It can take awhile to get in though. So be patient.

andycapps

Firewire said:
We have basically one very large clan now. To get into it you have to PM Kaching (think I got that right), and ask to be invited into the clan. It can take awhile to get in though. So be patient.

Thanks for the info, I PM'd him, looks like I'm on the waiting list. If anyone wants to get any games going in the meantime, add me up. PSN ID is andycapps.

Firewire

Banned
andycapps said:
Thanks for the info, I PM'd him, looks like I'm on the waiting list. If anyone wants to get any games going in the meantime, add me up. PSN ID is andycapps.

I'll throw you an invite latter on tonight!

Basch

By the way, what are your guys' favorite weapons? I like the Arc Charger, Reaper Carbines, M5A2 Carbine, Auger, and L23 FarCry. I also enjoy the X-003 (title correct?) Hailstorm, but it seems that is not available in Multi-Player.

On a side note, does anyone want to discuss and predict story related material to Resistance 2. I reposted the questions in my last post.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gimme Auger, and i happy. I think i have the most Auger Kills in the gafClan:D , thanks to Wowhawk and Call of MySoul 4 i have'nt played in a while.

Story: it can go anywhere, Insomniac can suprise me; Rachel still alive but England eventually fell right so what happen to her, Black Ops true attentions with Hale, did Cartwright really die, the Clovens.....

...too much to talk about, only jsteve can save us:lol

andycapps

Basch said:
By the way, what are your guys' favorite weapons? I like the Arc Charger, Reaper Carbines, M5A2 Carbine, Auger, and L23 FarCry. I also enjoy the X-003 (title correct?) Hailstorm, but it seems that is not available in Multi-Player.

On a side note, does anyone want to discuss and predict story related material to Resistance 2. I reposted the questions in my last post.

My favorite weapon is the Bullseye. Other than that probably the Auger.

You've got some good theories there, I think the Black Ops troops brought him back to the US. I think we'll be seeing that Europe has been taken over and the next game will probably take place, at least mostly, in the US. Who are the Chimera? They're obviously some form of mutated humans, but as far as how the mutation started, it could be that someone's government came up with the virus and it somehow leaked out into population. There's lots of good theories out there the backstory in the game, but what I like about the story is that it gives you enough information to keep you and me guessing.

Have you looked at the Resistance website yet to look into the timeline for it? It fleshes out a great deal of the backstory.

Basch

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Gimme Auger, and i happy. I think i have the most Auger Kills in the gafClan:D , thanks to Wowhawk and Call of MySoul 4 i have'nt played in a while.

Story: it can go anywhere, Insomniac can suprise me; Rachel still alive but England eventually fell right so what happen to her, Black Ops true attentions with Hale, did Cartwright really die, the Clovens.....

...too much to talk about, only jsteve can save us:lol

I must have missed a lot.
Europe falls? I thought Nate just saved it. I guess this was stated on the official site documents. Black Ops? I thought the Cloven were the ones who captured Hale. Whenever I saw the bodies of the masked soldiers it was usually around the time I discovered documents about the Cloven. The masked soldiers would always bear that star emblem (the title/loading screens has it as well). So when I saw the soldiers capture Hale and the fact that they had the same emblem, I thought Cloven. Plus, if there is still a military unit (the Cloven) within Russia, how did the infection break out? If the Angels held all command over the Chimera, that must mean they were there first, so to speak. So what exactly are they? Why would the Angels direct the Chimera to attack like they have? Insomniac knew we were going to ask so many questions. They set up the story perfectly so we would ask these questions. Based on this inference, I believe the fight against the Angels will continue. Then the next logical question would be how. This is why I believe that the game will take place in America as well.
:D

I also think that Cartwright is still alive. They found her daughter if I remember right. But the way they said it, just made me think he was still alive. Well, at least I hope he is.

andycapps said:
My favorite weapon is the Bullseye. Other than that probably the Auger.

You've got some good theories there, I think the Black Ops troops brought him back to the US. I think we'll be seeing that Europe has been taken over and the next game will probably take place, at least mostly, in the US. Who are the Chimera? They're obviously some form of mutated humans, but as far as how the mutation started, it could be that someone's government came up with the virus and it somehow leaked out into population. There's lots of good theories out there the backstory in the game, but what I like about the story is that it gives you enough information to keep you and me guessing.

Have you looked at the Resistance website yet to look into the timeline for it? It fleshes out a great deal of the backstory.

I forgot about the website by the time I was playing the game, but the thing that kept me away from doing so until now is the fact that I wanted to put myself in Nathan's shoes. Nathan, going into the war, knew nothing about the Chimera or the situation due to government restrictions. So I did not go to the site. I will make that my task now that I have completed it.

Does anybody get the feeling, when they play the last few levels of the game, that there are quite a few resemblances to Matrix: Revolutions? That is a good thing by the way.
The Angels just remind me of the Sentinels so much.

The sequel could go anywhere from here, but I have a feeling that whatever it is we will wind up in a fight with the Cloven.

h3ro

patsu said:
I use the default sensitivity, and yes I still play Resistance whenever I can.

My PS3 is now occupied by wife and kid because of Everyday Shooter and Operation: Creature Feature respectively. So I'll be out of action again for the whole week as I commute to work on a project. While I am glad that they finally understood Daddy's passion, the child inside me is b*tching for more gaming time.

That second PS3 proposal is looking mighty attractive lately.

Who says the Triple isn't a family console!!!

tanod

when is my burrito
When I first played through Resistance in December a year ago, I played on Easy. I just finished my 4th playthrough of the game a couple weeks ago. Beat it on Easy, Normal, Hard and Superhuman. I think the most fun I had was during my Hard run through and Superhuman was more of a test of skill and mastery of the game mechanics.

GOTY 2006 by far. This game got me into console shooters. I played some Timesplitters, Goldeneye and Quake 3 Arena back in the day but this one really tipped me over the edge. I probably wouldn't even have a 360 now if not for this game.

Fun fact for the day: Every title I have for the 360 is a shooter. :)

EDIT: My look sensitivity is at 6 or 7. Every time I try doing a major adjustment like setting it to 10 or 0 to see if it will help me play better, I start fine-tuning/tweaking it and it eventually comes back to 6. I don't even know why I try. :)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Firewire said:
My personal favorite is the Carbine, followed by the Lark (taking 2-3 guys out from long range is awesome) & then the Auger.

far eye + bulls eye = you will die.

FabCam

I don't know what's up with my gaming preferences, but I play more RFoM online than I do CoD4 and I got CoD4 just last week.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Basch said:
By the way, what is everyone's aiming sensitivity in the game? How is max settings?

Its best to leave it at 3 imo, any higher and accuracy goes straight out the window.

3 is the sweet spot ;)

Aeon712

The Carbine is how I roll :D. Nearly all the other weapons seem cheap compaired to it and omg I now hate the Laark, it seems like nobody ever aims it or uses the primary anymore since you can just hold the button and have the mini rockets all follow someone at once.

andycapps

TEH-CJ said:
Its best to leave it at 3 imo, any higher and accuracy goes straight out the window.

3 is the sweet spot ;)

To each his own, I remember hearing about some of the Insomniac crew preferring a really low sensitivity like what you're saying and some preferring all the way up. With auto-aim by default, the accuracy doesn't matter as much. When I got into multiplayer, I was just getting killed too much having the controller sensitivity at the default setting. Then again I don't see how anyone plays inverted either... :D

Basch

TEH-CJ said:

3 is the sweet spot ;)

I think the word you are looking for is precision. :D At least, I think that is how it is with Physics. Accuracy would be spot on at higher sensitivities. Accuracy deals with registering every directional movement, while precision is defining the directions into a definitive result (think of it as the best fit). Or maybe, I have mistaken the two completely. :lol You still get some accuracy at lower settings. Just not as much: mostly precision.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Basch said:
I think the word you are looking for is precision. :D At least, I think that is how it is with Physics. Accuracy would be spot on at higher sensitivities. Accuracy deals with registering every directional movement, while precision is defining the directions into a definitive result (think of it as the best fit). Or maybe, I have mistaken the two completely. :lol You still get some accuracy at lower settings. Just not as much: mostly precision.

Your a legend :lol

Basch

TEH-CJ said:
Your a legend :lol

Oh, no! I can't be. Must kill it with fire. :lol

By the way, I will be playing some Resistance tonight. I'm going to bump up the sensitivity to eight or nine: probably eight. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I don't know if Hard mode is the best difficulty to try it on. But, oh well! :D

The Jer

Basch said:
Has everyone analyzed the story to death or something? Because it seems no one wants to have a discussion on it. But just in case people missed my thoughts...

You have to have beaten the game though, if you uncover the spoilers. :D

one year and over 200 pages... :D

If your looking for more info on the story, there's alot of discussion in this thread. I think we've been over the whole black ops and cloven thing several times now. Try looking around page...ummm.. 66

ya know what. I'll find you some links. They have some cool stuff. give me a sec. :D

The Jer

and fyi,
it is the american black-ops that pick Hale up at the end. They are the ones laying around the game; you can hear their radio chatter. The cloven aren't actually pictured in the game (aside from an MP skin). They are only mentioned in intel documents.
The trick is finding the correct intel documents (or getting someone to tell you what's in them). It's kind of hit and miss; some of the documents contain nothing interesting, but some contain some rather cool stuff. And you need them to learn about
the cloven

tanod

when is my burrito
The Jer said:
one year and over 200 pages... :D

If your looking for more info on the story, there's alot of discussion in this thread. I think we've been over the whole black ops and cloven thing several times now. Try looking around page...ummm.. 66

ya know what. I'll find you some links. They have some cool stuff. give me a sec. :D

There's some REALLY REALLY great story discussion that happened about the time we split off the MP thread. Probably the best discussion I've seen in the thread. To top it off, JS popped in to mock us. It was awesome. :D

The Jer

tanod said:
There's some REALLY REALLY great story discussion that happened about the time we split off the MP thread. Probably the best discussion I've seen in the thread. To top it off, JS popped in to mock us. It was awesome. :D

Ya, that was pretty recently. Look around pages 225-230, anything with a spoiler tag.

crap. over 200 pages and one year. It's amazing how much time I've spent in this thread. :/

over 1/4 of my posts have been made in this thread... geeze.

calder

I wonder if jstevenson ever goes into work, notices a gaf thread about something Insomniac, then just nods and clocks out. "Nice, thread about the new Resistance ads, lemme forward this to the boss and grab my coat, I thought I was going to have to work past lunch there!" :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
calder said:
I wonder if jstevenson ever goes into work, notices a gaf thread about something Insomniac, then just nods and clocks out. "Nice, thread about the new Resistance ads, lemme forward this to the boss and grab my coat, I thought I was going to have to work past lunch there!" :D

Nah, I just used the post count of this thread to get a raise is all :lol (j/k)

GAF doesn't shorten the work day at all. I'm pretty much ALWAYS reading it... if there is a significant news piece about Insomniac or one of our games (say an event, or new screens or whatever) I'll be on GAF (and our forums) pretty much constantly between my desk, laptop, and cell-phone. Like that Gametrailers thing Brian Hastings and I did? Totally posted on GAF from my cell-phone right before going on. Blizzcon? On GAF. Date in the bathroom? On GAF. :p

Reading all of this Resistance talk is making me want to play through the game again. :)
CoD4 multiplayer is keeping me away from most games right now, even Oblivion. :\ But I think I can make time for some Resistance. :D

andycapps

jstevenson said:
Nah, I just used the post count of this thread to get a raise is all (j/k)

GAF doesn't shorten the work day at all. I'm pretty much ALWAYS reading it... if there is a significant news piece about Insomniac or one of our games (say an event, or new screens or whatever) I'll be on GAF (and our forums) pretty much constantly between my desk, laptop, and cell-phone. Like that Gametrailers thing Brian Hastings and I did? Totally posted on GAF from my cell-phone right before going on. Blizzcon? On GAF. Date in the bathroom? On GAF. :p

So awesome.

My friend and I completed Resistance in co-op 2 weeks ago.

He suggested we go through the game again, on the Hard difficulty.

I have to say I glad he did, because the game does play differently on the hard difficulty. The enemy placements are different, you have to watch you back a lot more, they are much better shots. It is not so easy to flank them. We are having a blast, so much fun.

tanod

when is my burrito
Nick Laslett said:
My friend and I completed Resistance in co-op 2 weeks ago.

He suggested we go through the game again, on the Hard difficulty.

I have to say I glad he did, because the game does play differently on the hard difficulty. The enemy placements are different, you have to watch you back a lot more, they are much better shots. It is not so easy to flank them. We are having a blast, so much fun.

Hard is where the level design starts to shine, IMO.

methane47

jstevenson said:
Nah, I just used the post count of this thread to get a raise is all :lol (j/k)

Flying in a stunt plane at 350 mph upside down... posting on GAF

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
methane47 said:
Flying in a stunt plane at 350 mph upside down... posting on GAF

True:

n17201011_34222623_2154.jpg

justjohn

patsu said:
I use the default sensitivity, and yes I still play Resistance whenever I can.

My PS3 is now occupied by wife and kid because of Everyday Shooter and Operation: Creature Feature respectively. So I'll be out of action again for the whole week as I commute to work on a project. While I am glad that they finally understood Daddy's passion, the child inside me is b*tching for more gaming time.

That second PS3 proposal is looking mighty attractive lately.
awwwwwww :)

Basch

The Jer said:
Here are some:

- page 66 and page 67 of this thread

- morse code translations

- RFOMPS3.com (There is some seriously cool stuff here, I recommend reading everything; but here is a brief overview)

- ResistanceFallOfMan.com (Go here and click on the UK link, then click on "experience". Do it. It is really cool.)

welp, that should keep you busy for a few days :D

I feel like I am being sent into exile. :lol

I was able to play some Resistance last night. I bumped up the sensitivity to eight. I think I perform quite well at that setting. I will play with it some more to see if it is just right. Cleared everything up to the third level in the Grimsby stage in the Hard mode Campaign. Today, I don't work. So after I get home from classes, more time with Resistance. It is so fun to formulate strategies to take out enemies. I think I am getting better as well. It is oh so satisfying to clear an area. :D

Basch

patsu said:
Indeed, this "head-only" Chimera jet is one of the best character designs I have ever seen.

Look at those jaggies on the tail fin. This will totally take me out of the experience. :lol

I really hope Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 get a good space between them.

As much as I'm anticipating Killzone 2, it's bound to be a ridiculously HUGE event based on hype alone. Since Insomniac has proven their talents time and time again, R-2 needs quality lime-light time... and I'd sincerely hope Sony would push it as THE marquee holiday 2008 title. Ted Price and Co. deserve it.

My most anticipated "to see" game from Sony right now, hands down. Resistance is still my overall favorite first-party PS3 game- and I'm not even a big FPS fan. :D

Top Bottom