• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Wollan

Reposted for great justice (oh, and page 50 ftw):

I took an hour and went through this thread and gathered all clearly posted nicks upto this post for the US players (I think there are only just around three Japan ones posted in the week before US release):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
mackaveli - mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 8pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

First who gets online should create a game with these details:

Name: neogaf

Password: believe

Game should support as many players as possible. Game is open for all readers of NeoGAF (no need to be in the clan).

Kinda ot but for those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

JB1981

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, sorry for dropping the game, I was suddenly... crowded.

Oh, no worries. I logged off. I actually can't decide WHAT I wanna do tonight - i'm suddenly really tired .. maybe i'll watch a blu-ray movie or something - heh

Kittonwy

Banned
commish said:
Nice job, Wollan. I'm gonna add... EVERYONE... does a USB keyboard work with the PS3? Don't know why it wouldn't, but I don't have one to try.

I use a USB keyboard with my PS3 (specifically the logitech mini PS2 keyboard). ~_~

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
JB1981 said:
. maybe i'll watch a blu-ray movie or something - heh

heh, that's what I'm gonna do. Wanted to watch Kingdom of Heaven, but it's too long to watch at this time.

Call me ignorant, but I don't understand why common game scenarios can't be used for MP types. In addition to objective based game types like Breach and Meltdown, wouldn't it be bloody wicked to have to battle against Widowmakers or Titans in MP? Give each team the task of taking out the large scale Chimera "guarding" the side of the opposing team, or something like that. People in the know, educate me on the shortcomings of this type of scenario.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was on IGN insider the other day and came across this article...

http://insider.ign.com/articles/753/753346p1.html

Its a grudge match between Gears of War and Resistance. Its also the biggest bullshit article Ive read in 2007 so far.

They got Jon Miller to do the article...the guy who reviewed Gears of War. And with that GoW takes nearly all the categories...and at the final end comments Jon points out:

Jon Miller: While I haven't had that much time with Resistance, it's not too different than what we've seen before.

Great idea IGN. Lets put a guy who hasnt played much of Resistance but lots of GoW and get him to write the article!

Then there's this one guy whos a total moron at the end of the article:

Brennan Ieyoub, IGN Video: Resistance is, at best, a competent science-fiction, twitch shooter. The graphics are sub-par, the music and sound effects are forgettable, and the gameplay is totally vanilla. It's overrated across the board. The killer-app-starved masses of PS3 owners that are singing the praises of Resistance are kidding themselves, and I'd go as far as to say Jeremy Dunham must've been writing his review on a mouthful of Quaaludes when he scored the game a 9.1.

...But honestly if I had one thing to say to Ted Price about his maiden voyage into first-person-shooter territory it'd be this: stick to making platformers, Ted.

...Gears of War and Resistance are fundamentally different, so obviously a direct comparison cannot be made, but in the grand scheme of things I believe people will sober up in time and give credit where credit is due. Resistance has only gotten as much press as it has because the PS3 is sorely lacking in terms of software. Gears of War is a well designed and rather original take on the shooter genre that will continue to evolve in future installments and continue to amaze us with each innovation.

BTW, the editors who reviewed Resistance for IGN are no where in that article.

Way to go IGN. Make sure to drop them a line and let them know how much they suck.

Wollan said:
Reposted for great justice (oh, and page 50 ftw):

I took an hour and went through this thread and gathered all clearly posted nicks upto this post for the US players (I think there are only just around three Japan ones posted in the week before US release):

M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
mackaveli - mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
XMonkey - snak
drohne - drohne

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind

Kinda ot but for those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Wollan - please add me to this list as well. I would have been posting more in this thread buy my iMac hard drive died 3 weeks after getting the damn thing.

my PSN tag is Arde0 (its a zero, not an o)

chubigans said:

Hence why I no longer subscribe to IGN Insider. I don't know if they simply don't have anything better to do with their time, but the editors (well, the ones covering the consoles) seem every bit as obsessed with the system and games wars as the people who post on the IGN boards. That article was crap, but unfortunately that goes without saying seeing as how it is an IGN [insert console here] article.

JdFoX187

Banned
At least give a counter-point like any professional journalist or journalism institution would. Having played Gears of War AND Resistance substantially (keep in mind, I've been a somwhat loyal "xbot") I think Resistance offers more fun. They're both different games. But to say the graphics are subpar and the sound is horrible shows true biasness. There wasn't one single game on the 360 launch that looked as good as Resistance. I'm not going to be dumb enough and say Resistance looks better than Gears, but it's still a damn good looking game. It surprisngly plays very well and the online is intense. I don't know what this guy is thinking, but he openly admits not playing much of the game. At least finish the campaign and take a couple rounds in the multiplayer, especially Breach with 40 people.

Additionally, I'm not sure if emailing IGN will have the effect you want it to have. It's become abundantly clear to me that IGN desires this "negative attention"; from the dodgy Terms of Service and moderation of the boards to articles like the one you linked to, it seems unrealistic to think that criticism, let alone outrage, would be viewed as anything but success by IGN. I know that you (chubigans) is a VIP there so I assume that you don't pay for Insider, but for everyone else, cancelling your subscription is really the best action you can take at this point. When IGN asks you why you want to cancel your subscription, point to articles like this one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Game face-offs like this are rarely about anything more than generating page hits. One game has to come out on the ****-end of the stick to generate some controversy.

But, you know, read between the lines: The only way they could get RFOM to look bad in the comparison was by getting opinions from people who had barely played it.

I think the reviewer is so biased. What can I say. They forgot to mention that the Gears Of War is Gears of Glitches. I haven't found any glitches in Resistance yet.

djkimothy

Crackerman16 said:
Did you get your pants (from the thread you made 2 days ago)?
Good thing you listened to all the GAFers who told you to get Resistance, eh?
Resistance > pants...

And yes, definitely play campaign mode. If you think you're a pretty good player already, play it on Hard then Superhuman. Otherwise, Normal, then Hard. I also ignored campaign mode at first, only playing a bit of it, focusing most of my playtime on online MP. But once I played campaign, I realized this is truly a 2 headed beast of a game.

LOL, yes, Resistance > pants. But I still need them. Only have 3 good pairs. :( I think I'll go get a pair today.

Wollan, you forgot to add me! The lovable gaffer.

I have no time to be part of a clan. But let me know if you guys are starting up a match.

Bad_Boy, I added you twice but you're not on my list. Are you ignoring me? :(

Wollan

I don't have the game but let me suggest two times for people to start to meet up regularly:

Tuesdays 8pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

If people can start to meet up at those times (if the opportunity is there) then I guess you can get something going. The first one (whoever) to come online can put up a game called neogaf with password believe.

Just meet up at those times whenever you can and the ball should start to roll.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
I don't have the game but let me suggest two times for people to start to meet up regularly:

Tuesdays 7pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

If people can start to meet up at those times (if the opportunity is there) then I guess you can get something going. The first one (whoever) to come online can put up a game called neogaf with password believe.

Nothing today? T_T

djkimothy

Wollan said:

Tuesdays 7pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

This sounds doable (except tuesdays, I work the next day man). Mark me down for saturday nights, excluding the nights I'm actually doing RL stuff. :)

Is the infantry combat in this game as good as Battlefield 2's combat system? Is it possible to take cover, snipe etc? or is it just run and gun like Half life 2 death match?

djkimothy

IMG_1329.jpg

I got my pants!

PS: Is it possible to adjust game times to 6 PM PST?

I'm down for Saturday and Sunday 7 PM PST, but 6 would be grand.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
I guess I can add a third day. I guess several people spend their saturday evening socially.

Edit: Added. 7pm PST Sundays.

Awesome. ~_~

It's true but I would still trade couchtime for gaming on saturdays... sometimes.
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
djkimothy said:
IMG_1329.jpg

I got my pants!

PS: Is it possible to adjust game times to 6 PM PST?

I'm down for Saturday and Sunday 7 PM PST, but 6 would be grand.

Are those stain-resistant? Stain-resistant pants are the best.

djkimothy

Kittonwy said:
Are those stain-resistant? I like stain-resistant pants.

No, just straight legged denim pants by Nevada. It was cheap, $20 at SEARS.

My waist size is getting larger, went from a 32 to a 34. :eek:

djkimothy

teepo said:
GET THE ****ING PS3 OFF THE CARPET

But none of the vents are covered...I'll try to find a flat object to put it on but it's the only place I can put it... Unless... Bah, that will take too much cleaning... :(

ROFL

Hail Britannia
First this IGN nonsense, then I see Edge has decided to give it a 'clever' (clever like Eurogamer) review of 7.0.

I'm close to killing someone.

Edit: IGN: < The point is to let editors who are knowledgeable about the individual titles argue in favor of one or the other. This Grudge Match has a unique quality in that both of these games have been developed as system sellers for their respective consoles.>

Amazing they could include 2 glaring errors within such a short distance from the opening word.

1. How would someone who hasn't <had that much time with Resistance> qualify as "knowledgeable about the individual title" any more than say, your next door neighbour who popped over for half an hour to drool at your PS3 running on your brand spanking new HDTV?

2. Resistance was not "developed as a system seller". It was developed because according to Ted Price, Insomniac took the (somewhat brave) decision to have a go at doing the definitive console first person shooter, a genre Price clearly loves and believed could make shine given the possibilities the new PS3 hardware would offer. Hence you saw next to nothing about this game until E3 when Sony suddenly realized they had a potential monster hit on their hands and pushed it to the front of their queue as their 'flagship' launch title.

Safe Bet

Banned
djkimothy said:
But none of the vents are covered...I'll try to find a flat object to put it on but it's the only place I can put it... Unless... Bah, that will take too much cleaning... :(
Dude...

GET THAT MOTHER****ER OFF THE CARPET!!!

;)

It's not heat you have to worry about, it's static electricity.

On-Topic:

I finally made Officer since stats have started updating again. :)

Hope to see some of you guys on tonight...

Also...

Woolan is there a chance you could add me to the id list?

PSNid & Resistance ID = Safe_Bet

J-Rzez

Ignatz Mouse said:
How in the hell can you call R:FOM graphics "sub par"? What the hell is "par"?

Gears is par... duh... if it's not Gears, it's garbage... guess you missed the memo to the videogame media industry...

That IGN article is one of the most terrible things I've ever read... it's just bad on so many levels... but I don't care... I'm just gonna continue playing what I believe is the best online gaming experience so far this gen... and that's R:FoM...

By the way... I'd love to play in the clan as well, but in 2 weeks from today, I'm leaving for training that I'll be away for 6months... sucks... maybe when I'm back... :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ROFL said:
First this IGN nonsense, then I see Edge has decided to give it a 'clever' (clever like Eurogamer) review of 7.0.

Complaining about the controller ("the Sixaxis disappoints"), no less...

Here is the complete paragraph about it:
EDGE said:
While you can tame the floaty analogue sticks with a suitably tightened sensitivity setting, the down-barrel precision aiming will then feel twice as flighty, resulting in some graceless jitters as you chase after the headshots that are necessary for effective takedowns of enemy squads. Ultimately, you can salvage some kind of comfort and skill from the control scheme – which, other than analogue precision, is well configured – but it’ll never feel like mastery in a way that it does with some other console shooters.

Pacman2k

Haha, cool. Nice to run into you again. You were one of the few people I thought had decent skills in that game.

and I was a tester back on UYA!

theBishop

Banned
TTP said:
Complaining about the controller ("the Sixaxis disappoints"), no less...

Here is the complete paragraph about it:

lol... in otherwords: "the aiming doesn't feel identical to Halo...-100,000 pts"

Safe Bet

Banned
*blush*

Thank you for the compliment.

:)

Hopefully we can play some Resistance together...

I'll be playing tonight in the GAF game.

Wollan

lunlunqq said:
who's down for some resistance tonight???? i will create a party and invite everybody who's online tonight.

We have formed some meet up times to try to increase NeoGAF traffic.

Tuesdays 8pm.

Saturdays 7pm.

Sundays 7pm.

First to come online sets up server.

Server name: neogaf

password: believe

djkimothy

OK OK, here's my new setup with some rearranging.

IMG_1331.jpg

I'm up for resistance tonight if you guys want some target practice. I suck apparently. :/

PS, my ex girlfirned picked out that laundry basket. And those pink sheets are my moms. SERIOUSLY! :D

lunlunqq

Wollan said:
We have formed some meet up times to try to increase NeoGAF traffic.

Tuesdays 8pm.

Saturdays 7pm.

Sundays 7pm.

First to come online sets up server.

Server name: neogaf

password: believe

sounds good. count me in for tonight.

Wollan

Reposted for great justice:

M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
mackaveli - mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
XMonkey - snak
drohne - drohne

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 8pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

First who gets online should create a game with these details:

Name: neogaf

Password: believe

Game should support as many players as possible. Game is open for all readers of NeoGAF (no need to be in the clan).

Top Bottom