• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDH

Do you guys think it's better to buy an old/used micro SD card on eBay, or is it safe to order a new 1 or 2gb Sandisk on Amazon?

I just ordered a Sandisk 2GB Micro SD from eBay (although probably a knockoff) but i'm still waiting for my OSSC (shipped on the 9th of Jan) i'll report back when I get everything if no one else has already.

Galdelico

Glad you got one, in the end. :)

Thank goodness, I dug out a Kingston 1GB from an old cellphone I still had laying around for some reason, so hopefully I'll be good. According to courier's tracking status, I may be receiving my new monitor as well, tomorrow... Fingers crossed it will be all fine, and my retro setup finally complete!

Edit - for those who asked, it's possible to upgrade from 0.73 straight to 0.75 (it's been confirmed on both VGP and shmups forums).

linko9

Hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap way to capture my SNES video/audio while maintaining RGB output onto my monitor. Don't really care if the capture ends up being composite or s-video.

So the current path is SNES > SCART cable (male) > 4 BNC adapter (scart female to bnc male) > Monitor.

I'm at a loss as to where I should split the signal, and where to go from there. I've looked for scart splitters, and the only one I can find is 1 male to 2 female, so I'd need a way to get the SNES male scart cable to female, but that adapter doesn't seem easy to find. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Anyone have experience/ideas?

edit: Here's the splitter I found:

71P1LDOPQWL._SL1500_.jpg

Would it be possible to plug the SNES into one female, the BNC adapter to the male, and then this:

into the second female? Would I be splitting the signal with this setup?

Peltz

Hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap way to capture my SNES video/audio while maintaining RGB output onto my monitor. Don't really care if the capture ends up being composite or s-video.

So the current path is SNES > SCART cable (male) > 4 BNC adapter (scart female to bnc male) > Monitor.

I'm at a loss as to where I should split the signal, and where to go from there. I've looked for scart splitters, and the only one I can find is 1 male to 2 female, so I'd need a way to get the SNES male scart cable to female, but that adapter doesn't seem easy to find. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Anyone have experience/ideas?

edit: Here's the splitter I found:

Would it be possible to plug the SNES into one female, the BNC adapter to the male, and then this:

into the second female? Would I be splitting the signal with this setup?

If you're using a PVM or BVM, don't split the signal at all. Output from the monitor and reverse the connection from BNC back to to SCART. You'll get perfect lossless quality in every way.

If you're using a PVM or BVM, don't split the signal at all. Output from the monitor and reverse the connection from BNC back to to SCART. You'll get perfect lossless quality in every way.

You won't get lossless quality unless you're running an amplified BNC to SCART cable, since the output from the monitor doesn't have the +5V. I tried to do the same thing and had no luck (picture was in black and white).

I recommend a SCART signal distributor/splitter like the Shinbybow SB-3715. I use it to run signal to 2 PVMs, my OSSC, and my capture box simultaneously and don't have any image quality/signal issues.

what does it mean if you press power on the PVM and it doesn't turn on and there's an orange light at that top? is that some kind of error code?

Peagles

what does it mean if you press power on the PVM and it doesn't turn on and there's an orange light at that top? is that some kind of error code?

It's called tally mode, usually means there's something plugged into the remote port, though I've heard of some people experiencing it as an error of sorts.

purdobol

You won't get lossless quality unless you're running an amplified BNC to SCART cable, since the output from the monitor doesn't have the +5V. I tried to do the same thing and had no luck (picture was in black and white).

That's on TVs though. They require 1-3V (SCART standard) to switch to RGB mode. Some even require 9V (16:9) or 12V (4:3) to be present. Otherwise it defaults to Composite in PAL regions or S-Video in NTSC regions.

But I don't think capture devices need this. Do they? Don't have experience with them to be honest. It's worth a try in my opinion.

Peltz

That's odd. I used BNC cables to output from one PVM to another and then to a Panasonic broadcast monitor and saw no difference in the picture between the three monitors. The two secondary monitors were being feed a pure RGB connection through BNC cables that I acquired.

That's odd. I used BNC cables to output from one PVM to another and then to a Panasonic broadcast monitor and saw no difference in the picture between the three monitors. The two secondary monitors were being feed a pure RGB connection through BNC cables that I acquired.

BNC to SCART isn't a 1:1 mapping though. BNC has RGBS and the respective grounds. You would still need some external voltage source to define the signal for SCART. I believe SCART uses a voltage source to determine whether you are using RGB, composite or whatever since SCART can carry all sorts of signal types. That's probably what he is referring to.

This is from monitor to monitor, though.

When converting back from BNC to SCART, you need amplification.

What's the difference between an amplified and non-amplified BNC to SCART Cable? Like is there a visual way to tell?

I'm currently just using svideo directly in my PVM as well as component into BNC adapters to connect directly into my PVM(I haven't figured out how to use my composite ports)

linko9

I recommend a SCART signal distributor/splitter like the Shinbybow SB-3715. I use it to run signal to 2 PVMs, my OSSC, and my capture box simultaneously and don't have any image quality/signal issues.

Thanks for the replies. My PVM doesn't have output on the RGB input, only the composite/s-video inputs unfortunately. I think I'll just buy a splitter and see what happens, after searching around some more apparently some people have success with it.

Peltz

BNC to SCART isn't a 1:1 mapping though. BNC has RGBS and the respective grounds. You would still need some external voltage source to define the signal for SCART. I believe SCART uses a voltage source to determine whether you are using RGB, composite or whatever since SCART can carry all sorts of signal types. That's probably what he is referring to.

This is from monitor to monitor, though.

When converting back from BNC to SCART, you need amplification.

Ah... thanks for the clarification.

purdobol

What's the difference between an amplified and non-amplified BNC to SCART Cable? Like is there a visual way to tell?

If you're using PVM don't worry about it. There's no difference in picture quality between the two. One just have additional wire on pin 16 with 1-3V current. It's just a way consumer TV recognizes RGB signal.

If there's no current on pin 16 - TV thinks composite video is connected and ignores RGB pins.

Wounded

Hi all, I have a couple of questions:

1. If I play my NTSC copy of FFVII on my PAL CRT TV via Scart, the right hand side of some of the image is slightly cut off. Adjusting the image horizontally doesn't help, is there anything I can do?

2. I have a PAL version of Super Metroid. I know NTSC games are universally better, but is this version good enough to not worry about it and enjoy it?

D.Lo

Hi all, I have a couple of questions:

1. If I play my NTSC copy of FFVII on my PAL CRT TV via Scart, the right hand side of some of the image is slightly cut off. Adjusting the image horizontally doesn't help, is there anything I can do?
Not unless you have access to the geometry controls on your CRT, it sounds like it's overscan.

2. I have a PAL version of Super Metroid. I know NTSC games are universally better, but is this version good enough to not worry about it and enjoy it?
NTSC is not universally better, it all depends on circumstances. Typically they are better because they were designed as NTSC, but there are exceptions. On SNES for example PAL games always have music full speed, first party games mostly have the image stretched to not be squashed, and some are speed adjusted to match the NTSC versions. And best of all because the games are running technically (if not actually if they are adjusted) slower, they have a lot less slowdown at 50Hz, because the SNES CPU isn't hit as hard.

Now for Super Metroid, it is actually a decent PAL conversion and all the above applies, except I hate the forced poorly translated German/French subtitles.

Wounded

Not unless you have access to the geometry controls on your CRT, it sounds like it's overscan.

NTSC is not universally better, it all depends on circumstances. Typically they are better because they were designed as NTSC, but there are exceptions. On SNES for example PAL games always have music full speed, first party games mostly have the image stretched to not be squashed, and some are speed adjusted to match the NTSC versions. And best of all because the games are running technically (if not actually if they are adjusted) slower, they have a lot less slowdown at 50Hz, because the SNES CPU isn't hit as hard.

Now for Super Metroid, it is actually a decent PAL conversion and all the above applies, except I hate the forced poorly translated German/French subtitles.

Ah I can only rotate the image, not sure I can do much about it then. I'll have a play with the service menu.

As for the PAL version, that's interesting, seems like I generalised too much (I've only really experience with the PS1, where most NTSC version do seem improved). From what you've said it looks like I'd be fine with the PAL version, despite the subtitles.

D.Lo

As for the PAL version, that's interesting, seems like I generalised too much (I've only really experience with the PS1, where most NTSC version do seem improved). From what you've said it looks like I'd be fine with the PAL version, despite the subtitles.
Yep PS1 (and most PS2) PAL is actually abominable and close to universally worse. Outside of Psygnosis and a few others typically there was no PAL conversion at all, almost every single game was squashed and 20% slower.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yep PS1 (and most PS2) PAL is actually abominable and close to universally worse. Outside of Psygnosis and a few others typically there was no PAL conversion at all, almost every single game was squashed and 20% slower.

But doesnt this mean that the games can just be played on ntsc hardware and be fine?

Has anyone got any tips concerning ps2 480i output and an hdtv?, I recently picked up some brand new oem ps3 component cables (amazing) and while my 4k bravia does a serviceable job with the progressive signal it produces some horrendous deinterlacing and scaling artifacts at 480i. I have been able to somewhat sidestep this issue using the homebrew program GSM and forcing games to output in 1080i, but it isn't compatible with all titles and it does not scale the image so I end up with a smaller screen area than I would like.

I am currently on the waiting list for the OSSC and the framemeister is (especially now) a bit rich for my blood, are there any other alternatives?

linko9

You get to do the Bomb Torizo skip!

Honestly there are a lot of differences, as with all PAL games, they have to change the speed of everything to account for 50hz. I don't remember all the specifics for SM, but I believe the only thing they corrected the speed for is Samus's movement. So everything else is 5/6 slower. That's not to say it's worse, or even that you would notice if you haven't played the game a lot. But it's certainly quite different from the NTSC version.

D.Lo

But doesnt this mean that the games can just be played on ntsc hardware and be fine?
Nope, Hz is controlled in software on PS1.

All the unoptomised PAL NES/Master System/Mega Drive/SNES/Saturn/N64 games play perfectly at 60Hz (actually on N64 you can even force 50Hz games to 60Hz with a converter on an unmodified PAL console).

But on PS1 the game itself is locked to 50hz.

You get to do the Bomb Torizo skip!

Honestly there are a lot of differences, as with all PAL games, they have to change the speed of everything to account for 50hz. I don't remember all the specifics for SM, but I believe the only thing they corrected the speed for is Samus's movement. So everything else is 5/6 slower. That's not to say it's worse, or even that you would notice if you haven't played the game a lot. But it's certainly quite different from the NTSC version.
yeah that's the other issue, balance can be thrown off by the speed adjustments. The most famous example being Kirby's Adventure.

Krelian

Nope, Hz is controlled in software on PS1.
Does that mean NTSC games always run at 60Hz on PAL PS1 consoles? I have one of those import adapters with a spring to swap disks and never realized this if that's true. Although I mostly played RPGs and didn't have a frame of reference for the games I played.

D.Lo

Does that mean NTSC games always run at 60Hz on PAL PS1 consoles? I have one of those import adapters with a spring to swap disks and never realized this if that's true. Although I mostly played RPGs and didn't have a frame of reference for the games I played.
Yes, certainly that's how it works with a mod chip.

Krelian

The console is unmodified. I meant one of those adaptets you put into the extension port on the back of the console.

Edit: I may have misunderstood your comment. Disregard mine ;)

So, I have a framemeister and love it. I recently got an LG B6 OLED to replace my W800B and when trying it with the upscaler, I get no hdmi sound, where with the Sony I DO get sound. I tested this with an RGB modded SNES jr.

Anyone with an XRGB use this TV?

Update: also tried with my RGB modded N64 and had the same issue, no sound on the B6 OLED and fine sound on the Sony W800B, so I can't imagine it's a cable issue, right? Am I the only one here who rocks the framemeister and the B6?

Kawika

You need a 240P capable monitor for 240P consoles, which you already have but would be nice to get the 20inch version.

And then a separate monitor for 480P. I have this set up but instead of being ripped off for a 20L5 or a BVM D series I bought a PC CRT monitor. I use the OSSC or my mayflash VGA adapter with it.

Xbox and Dreamcast looks great but IMO GameCube/Wii looks better on my PVM on RGB. Haven't tried PS2 on it yet.

My monitor cost me £30, mayflash was £10.

You are right, I really just need to get a 20" PVM and maybe get a separate monitor.

Still, since you have the OSSC I would like to know if you tried hooking up a Wii to it? I really would like a better option and I have a lot of old VGAs and several new TN and IPS LCDs available to me. So I can experiment with things till I am happy if you think the line doubling works well.

I am on the waiting list for the OSSC (but already have a XRGB-Mini) with the hopes that it could be a good solution for some of my edge case issues.

I've been trying to find some direct feed of Wii to OSSC but I am having issues finding anything that isnt' off screen filming.

Peltz

Has anyone got any tips concerning ps2 480i output and an hdtv?, I recently picked up some brand new oem ps3 component cables (amazing) and while my 4k bravia does a serviceable job with the progressive signal it produces some horrendous deinterlacing and scaling artifacts at 480i. I have been able to somewhat sidestep this issue using the homebrew program GSM and forcing games to output in 1080i, but it isn't compatible with all titles and it does not scale the image so I end up with a smaller screen area than I would like.

I am currently on the waiting list for the OSSC and the framemeister is (especially now) a bit rich for my blood, are there any other alternatives?

The only other alternative for nice looking 480i that I know of is a standard def CRT.

Morfeo

Yes, certainly that's how it works with a mod chip.

Hmm, I just tried Castlevania Chronicles (Pal) on an ntsc PSOne with a modchip, and for some reason the framemeister just lost the signal after the title screen. Is this a normal problem? I have played pal Resident Evil 1 and Strider 2 on it before.

Wounded

Thanks for all the replies everyone regarding PAL vs NTSC. If I play my PS1 games via my PS2, the edges aren't cut off but the display is vertically misaligned. I can bring that down in the tv settings though.

On another worrying point, my FFVII disc 1 has a split on the edge. Obviously not ideal, I was wondering if it's possible I might be OK? I know the data is written outwards so fingers crossed it doesn't reach that point...

D.Lo

Hmm, I just tried Castlevania Chronicles (Pal) on an ntsc PSOne with a modchip, and for some reason the framemeister just lost the signal after the title screen. Is this a normal problem? I have played pal Resident Evil 1 and Strider 2 on it before.
240p game, so the PS1 would have been sending 256p at 50Hz. Set the FM to output at 50Hz and have another go?

I have Castlevania X68000. This is a port of that right? I like it a lot but it's ridiculously hard at times. I haven't been able to finish it yet. Thankfully it has saves and infinite continues.

D.Lo

I have Castlevania X68000. This is a port of that right? I like it a lot but it's ridiculously hard at times. I haven't been able to finish it yet. Thankfully it has saves and infinite continues.
Yeah it's just a port. There's a mode that's rebalanced with a re-done (more colourful) main sprite, and it offers three separate audio modules to choose from.

Yeah it's just a port. There's a mode that's rebalanced with a re-done (more colourful) main sprite, and it offers three separate audio modules to choose from.

X68000 offers 3 separate audio modules too
if you have the extra hardware....

Morfeo

240p game, so the PS1 would have been sending 256p at 50Hz. Set the FM to output at 50Hz and have another go?

Good point, this is probably it. Will check it out tonight. Thanks a lot!

Yeah, its a port of that. I just scored a huge local haul where this was included, so has never played it before. Looking forward to check it out, its the last mainline game I havent played (well outside of the 3D-games).

Peltz

Technically, not retro, I know, but how is the image quality on the PSTV? Anyone here have one? I heard it taps out at 1080i/720p. But for some reason, I kind of want one to play old PSP/Vita games on the big screen.

Alternatively, what PSP model should I look for if I'd like to output to a CRT? Do any of them have component-out? I've never had an original PSP and have only owned a Vita. I'd probably pick up a 2000 or a 3000.

The Vita TV takes whatever the Vita would output (960x544) and then scales it to 720p. I'm sure you can imagine how that effects image quality.

Get a 3000 or Go for playing on a TV. 3000 for the form factor, Go for compatibility with a dual shock.

Peltz

The Vita TV takes whatever the Vita would output (960x544) and then scales it to 720p. I'm sure you can imagine how that effects image quality.

Get a 3000 or Go for playing on a TV. 3000 for the form factor, Go for compatibility with a dual shock.

Thanks.

Timu

Alternatively, what PSP model should I look for if I'd like to output to a CRT? Do any of them have component-out? I've never had an original PSP and have only owned a Vita. I'd probably pick up a 2000 or a 3000.
2000, 3000 and PSP Go have component out.

With 272 active lines (windowboxed with black bars).

Also, when playing PS1 games, it outputs perfect full-screen 240p.

How does it handle games that swap between 240p and 480i like Chrono Cross?

Im fairly sure it outputs 240p only when in "interlaced" mode and fed a game with a 240p source. I would think games that switch between 240p/480i would do the same with the psp's output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom