• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

Can anyone recommend a reliable storage rack for CRTs? I'm looking to get one for my 20" monitors and some of my games.
Are you looking for a rack for PVM/BVMs that you would find in an old TV studio (like a server rack) or shelving for consumer CRTs?

If the latter, have you looked at wire rack/shelving? I have some in my garage (not for tvs) but I think it would work. You can get shelf covers as well. They come in a ton of different configurations.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CL91Z6G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

bodine1231

After getting my 20F1U I just threw up my hands and could not believe this was the Holy Grail of monitors for some. I just think going backwards with screen tech is neat for some but wrong for me. The best idea going forward is to see what we can do with modern displays and despite the CRT glow and input lag there is not a lot to love about them.

So I bought a 4K 40" Samsung for my home office because I was sick of such a small display. In my office I had a 32" Samsung LCD, a few CRTs, Computer monitor and nothing seemed to look right on that 32".

I've used the firebrand X profiles for a long time. I used to prefer the sharp pixel look of his 5X profiles but when I got the new tv I thought the effect didn't look as good on my 4K.

BVM
MMX_BVMde5f2.jpg

4K w/ 5X profile

MMX_5XLCDdd136.jpg

I wasn't really happy about it but I didn't really care that much. Later on I was in the menu of the tv and noticed the tv had a scaler that could stretch and shrink the image I was feeding it. I never used the 4X profiles because it left a lot of the screen unused but with this option on my new tv I could enlarge the viewing area w/o going to the 5x profile. My results really look closer to the CRT look I have been trying to attain since getting the xrgb. Cell phone images w/ no tripod. Sorry about that.

BVM

TMNT_BVMa9e82.jpg

4K w/ 4x Profile + TV Zoom.

TMNT_4XLCD80182.jpg

The lag on this tv is so low even the audio remains in sync to my crt. I think I finally found a way to enjoy my retro games without sitting 2-3 feet hunched over playing on my CRT.

I am going to keep my small pvm and sell my BVM. It kind of feels good.

(waits for someone to shit on it and make me second guess keeping my bvm).

Sorry but the BVM looks much much better to me. The softness and glow add so much to the art. Mega Man's armor blends together so beautifully whereas with the 4X it looks too harsh and it just looks like a combination of squares. Look at Mega Mans legs,on the BVM it looks like the different blues blend together perfectly shaded and on the 4x its just two harsh colors. Also his eyes,on the 4X its just a white square and a black square. On the BVM its a beautiful oval eye. Blur is good,glow is good (a little noise is good too) its how it was meant to be seen.

Are you looking for a rack for PVM/BVMs that you would find in an old TV studio (like a server rack) or shelving for consumer CRTs?

If the latter, have you looked at wire rack/shelving? I have some in my garage (not for tvs) but I think it would work. You can get shelf covers as well. They come in a ton of different configurations.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CL91Z6G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks, yeah I was thinking something like that. I'll have to find one that is high enough to fit my 20M4U.

Unrelated: today I picked up a Dell P780 monitor to upgrade my 31khz gaming setup. It seems almost like a PVM.

JDH

Sorry but the BVM looks much much better to me. The softness and glow add so much to the art. Mega Man's armor blends together so beautifully whereas with the 4X it looks too harsh and it just looks like a combination of squares. Look at Mega Mans legs,on the BVM it looks like the different blues blend together perfectly shaded and on the 4x its just two harsh colors. Also his eyes,on the 4X its just a white square and a black square. On the BVM its a beautiful oval eye. Blur is good,glow is good (a little noise is good too) its how it was meant to be seen.

Well said!

You know what, I would have totally disagreed with you a year ago while solely using emulation and used to razor-sharp pixels. Over the past year however, I changed to official hardware and got myself an OSSC. I have the setting @ 3x on my 1080p screen which every so slightly blurs the image, which is slightly reminiscent of an old CRT - albeit not quite as special, it gives the same vibe.

thanks guys! i couldn't find a modder but saw this on the GAF sales thread (he said it was done by Bahamut) the cost was about the same as if sent in my system to be serviced.

i just picked up a few cheap games while grabbing food today that had the pins in them =)
Zc66qU4h.jpg

Gt9X1cPh.jpg

f46gEfRh.jpg

LPFayhJh.jpg

IcEsJobh.jpg

qxswim6h.jpg

5dNGqX8h.jpg

Why did you open the carts up?

Why did you open the carts up?
these are special carts that have a converter you can use to play japanese famicom games. it's actually a famicom cart with a converter to play in us machines. these are the only officially made nintendo converters out there. since i got a nes i wanted to buy some famicom games so i grabbed these games that had the hidden adaptors.

Yes Boss!

these are special carts that have a converter you can use to play japanese famicom games. it's actually a famicom cart with a converter to play in us machines. these are the only officially made nintendo converters out there. since i got a nes i wanted to buy some famicom games so i grabbed these games that had the hidden adaptors.

I don't follow NES stuff. But this is freaking cool.

Madao

those NES adaptors inside the carts look so bizarre.

also, it's smart since it was probably cheaper to make the games like that vs making a different board for the NES release.

dubc35

Thanks, yeah I was thinking something like that. I'll have to find one that is high enough to fit my 20M4U.

Unrelated: today I picked up a Dell P780 monitor to upgrade my 31khz gaming setup. It seems almost like a PVM.
The shelves are completely adjustable so they don't need the equal spacing they have in the pictures. You can also add additional shelves to the same unit on most. I'd look for overall dimensions that would fit the space then adjust shelf spacing/add shelves as needed. Casters can be a nice addition as well if think you'll be moving the unit to make wiring changes or change out consoles/monitors frequently.

Mega

Banned
All my monitors make a sound like "BNNGGG!" which is sort of like BOINK!

Can anyone recommend a reliable storage rack for CRTs? I'm looking to get one for my 20" monitors and some of my games.

I second the recommendation of the Seville metal shelves. Adjustable shelf heights and each level can hold like 400 lbs.

Games that require precise timing should be okay if your display is very low latency. I honestly cannot notice the lag much at all even playing shmups or similar on my ~2ms computer monitor. If you've got a big ass TV with 40ms lag, though, that'll be a problem. Can't imagine 40ms would be enjoyable even with an OSSC, though. There's a point after around double where the framemeister's lag falls (~20ms) that things start to really fuck me up.

This is my experience too. 40ms + 0ms solutions (OSSC, HDMI mods) on my HDTV are good enough for most retro games, but still delayed enough to be a nagging hindrance for hectic shooters and precision platforming.

I would go one step further and get a non-BVM CRT if you want the really nice blending. The pro Sony monitors still retain some of that emulator-like visual characteristic. I'll post an example.

Sony BVM
3XV97rB.jpg

JVC CRT
7qKcqU0h.jpg

I still wish CRTs photographed better. It's such an ordeal getting photos that feel true to how they look in person. Bums me out every time.

I don't follow NES stuff. But this is freaking cool.
yeah i learned about it recently from a retro store manager.
those NES adaptors inside the carts look so bizarre. also, it's smart since it was probably cheaper to make the games like that vs making a different board for the NES release.
the story i heard was nintendo initially ran out of carts so they used famicom games with a converter. once they produced enough carts, they stopped using the converter. so it's a rare to find these.
here's a pic of an early cart that i opened up that didn't have a famicom converter:
My gyromite had the famicom adapter as well
alot of the early gyromite carts has them. you can sell it for alot more if it has the converter. great find!
I would go one step further and get a non-BVM CRT if you want the really nice blending. The pro Sony monitors still retain some of that emulator-like visual characteristic. I'll post an example.
BVM looks so good.
I still wish CRTs photographed better. It's such an ordeal getting photos that feel true to how they look in person. Bums me out every time.
man so agree with this. it's so much better in person.
Yeah it's a lot of trial and error for me. I should read some literature on how to photograph CRTs well.
is there a proper technic, that'll be cool to post =) i just grab my iphone and snap till it looks close to what i see in person.

Yeah it's a lot of trial and error for me. I should read some literature on how to photograph CRTs well.

Ultimately, it comes down to the shutter speed. You get best results if your shutter speed is slower than the refresh rate of the screen. I also try to do it a speed that is divisible by the frequency as well.

The longer the shot, the less CRT refresh lines you see. Unfortunately, more light is collected so the shot gets pretty washed out. This is where ISO comes in. The goal is to find a good compromise between shutter speed and ISO.

If your game is running at 60 frames per second, that means you want the shutter speed at 1/60 s or slower. This speed won't be able to collect a lot of light so it's better to have your shutter open longer. I get good results at 1/20 and an ISO of something like 640 (I can't remember off the top of my head). I will take a few quick shots and delete the ones that have too much CRT effects. It can still be better but I think the results I get are pretty good.

Here's some example shots from the latest Genesis Game of the Month (Ristar).

5faMDik.png

Ceg6yRm.png

rX9j069.png

and here's one from Hyperstone Heist

ZYOa2o7.png

bodine1231

All my monitors make a sound like "BNNGGG!" which is sort of like BOINK!

I second the recommendation of the Seville metal shelves. Adjustable shelf heights and each level can hold like 400 lbs.

This is my experience too. 40ms + 0ms solutions (OSSC, HDMI mods) on my HDTV are good enough for most retro games, but still delayed enough to be a nagging hindrance for hectic shooters and precision platforming.

I'd say that the PVM is the perfect balance between consumer CRT and BVM. I always found the BVMs to be a little to sharp and the scanlines a little too thick compared to consumer CRT and the PVM.

the rainbow effect on the last two screens, i always try to get rid of that in my shots. it's tricky...

If you have an iPhone just turn on HDR,takes perfect CRT pics. Here is one on my PVM.

5VunkoBl.jpg

Peltz

I'd say that the PVM is the perfect balance between consumer CRT and BVM. I always found the BVMs to be a little to sharp and the scanlines a little too thick compared to consumer CRT and the PVM.

I don't think there's any "right" or "wrong" answer to this. I would 100% be happy with a BVM, PVM, or consumer set that accepts RGB @ 60hz. It's my view that we are just lucky these things still function.

bodine1231

I don't think there's any "right" or "wrong" answer to this. I would 100% be happy with a BVM, PVM, or consumer set that accepts RGB @ 60hz. It's my view that we are just lucky these things still function.

It's just personal preference. I certainly wouldn't turn down a BVM under any circumstances even though I prefer the look of my PVM.

I feel like the second hand PVM/BVM market has really dried up in LA over the past 12 months or so. I got super lucky last fall and found a post-production house selling off a few PVM20M4Us for $30 each, so I bought one of those.. but now I rarely see any go up for sale on Craigslist that aren't asking an arm and a leg.

At one point I even visited a post-production house in Burbank to by a BVM20F1U for $150 last year but they couldn't get it to turn on. 😔

Mega

Banned

That really depends on the PVM. Some are near identical to a BVM, if not in fact the same tube.

Yeah, it's never quite the same. I can get close with my mirrorless camera, but charging it, setting it up, uploading pics... it's a hassle vs. smartphone snaps + direct upload. I got burnt out on doing the former.

Ultimately, it comes down to the shutter speed. You get best results if your shutter speed is slower than the refresh rate of the screen. I also try to do it a speed that is divisible by the frequency as well. The longer the shot, the less CRT refresh lines you see. Unfortunately, more light is collected so the shot gets pretty washed out. This is where ISO comes in. The goal is to find a good compromise between shutter speed and ISO.

If your game is running at 60 frames per second, that means you want the shutter speed at 1/60 s or slower. This speed won't be able to collect a lot of light so it's better to have your shutter open longer. I get good results at 1/20 and an ISO of something like 640 (I can't remember off the top of my head). I will take a few quick shots and delete the ones that have too much CRT effects. It can still be better but I think the results I get are pretty good.

That lines up with my own exp. I shot handheld so I did 1/40 shutter speed, lower I would get camera shake blur.

I have some old shots that I'd say look almost exactly like what I see on a PVM/BVM in person. I don't like what imgur resizing options do to these (smeared/lost detail, dull colors), and I don't wanna mess with anyone's bandwidth by posting full size images in quotes, so I'll post only links:

http://i.imgur.com/Bgspm8d.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SR94TJm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/J6QuFNc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OOxFslM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bekj9z2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FQVGvjj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/k6NSsDj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YM8H1xL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DwADviZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0gUAOcC.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/7Tbiw0s.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/LLfFzSJ.jpg

Mihos

Gold Member
yeah i learned about it recently from a retro store manager.
the story i heard was nintendo initially ran out of carts so they used famicom games with a converter. once they produced enough carts, they stopped using the converter. so it's a rare to find these.
here's a pic of an early cart that i opened up that didn't have a famicom converter:

alot of the early gyromite carts has them. you can sell it for alot more if it has the converter. great find!

BVM looks so good.
man so agree with this. it's so much better in person.
is there a proper technic, that'll be cool to post =) i just grab my iphone and snap till it looks close to what i see in person.

Welp, off to tear open all my NES carts! BRB

Peltz

I heard that Nintendo originally manufactured carts with the converters for the small NYC-only launch, then the NES-native PCBs got manufactured after the NES got a full release in North America.

Mega

Banned
I heard that Nintendo originally manufactured carts with the converters for the small NYC-only launch, then the NES-native PCBs got manufactured after the NES got a full release in North America.

I feel that would make them super rare and expensive. They seem to be pretty common, enough to make the story of a city-specific batch with converters very unlikely. They don't go for much more than the regular cart either, like $10 more.

I think it's more likely that early on they used the surplus of Fami PCBs to make up the difference of NES boards. I know at one point Nintendo was hedging its console's future on the Famicom Disk System so perhaps they were offloading extra Fami PCBs to the American market while pushing Japanese consumers to buy their disk games.

If you have an iPhone just turn on HDR,takes perfect CRT pics. Here is one on my PVM.
thanks for the tip!
sir, you are correct =) (edit: i actually really don't know. lol) did you beat breath of the wild yet?

Peltz

thanks for the tip!

sir, you are correct =) (edit: i actually really don't know. lol) did you beat breath of the wild yet?

I have over 45 hours clocked and have only beaten the first dungeon (if you want to call it that).

I'm averaging 4.5 hours a day in this game for the past 10 days. I don't think I've ever spent that kind of time on one game before. The crazy thing is, it's still fresh to me and I can't wait to go home and continue exploring it.

This game continues to exceed the hype I had for it all these years. I don't think I'm beating it any time soon either. I'll probably clock another 30-50 hours before it's all over.

Have you played your copy? I know you're not really feeling the Switch right now.

I feel that would make them super rare and expensive. They seem to be pretty common, enough to make the story of a city-specific batch with converters very unlikely. They don't go for much more than the regular cart either, like $10 more.

I think it's more likely that early on they used the surplus of Fami PCBs to make up the difference of NES boards. I know at one point Nintendo was hedging its console's future on the Famicom Disk System so perhaps they were offloading extra Fami PCBs to the American market while pushing Japanese consumers to buy their disk games.

That sounds as likely as any theory I've ever heard. The North American NES launch is so odd and poorly documented compared to how things are today. I wish I could see footage of people reacting to it on store shelves in 1985 just for the lolz.

I have over 45 hours clocked and have only beaten the first dungeon (if you want to call it that).

I'm averaging 4.5 hours a day in this game for the past 10 days. I don't think I've ever spent that kind of time on one game before. The crazy thing is, it's still fresh to me and I can't wait to go home and continue exploring it.

This game continues to exceed the hype I had for it all these years. I don't think I'm beating it any time soon either. I'll probably clock another 30-50 hours before it's all over.

Have you played your copy? I know you're not really feeling the Switch right now.
i'm tempted to, those neogeo games look interesting. i'm still on the nes at the moment and if i don't open the switch i'll definitely buy it for wii u.

Mega

Banned
Does Switch continue to track time when the game is paused? I have 70~ hours in Zelda with maybe "40%" explored... mostly the Eastern half of the map. I say "40%" because within those charted lands there's tons of stuff I haven't seen. You can stay in one region, walk and climb all day and still miss stuff. I have 40~ of 120 shrines completed and 850~ Korok seeds left to be found. It's crazy to think I still haven't seen the majority of the game yet.

Does Switch continue to track time when the game is paused? I have 70~ hours in Zelda with maybe "40%" explored... mostly the Eastern half of the map. I say "40%" because within those charted lands there's tons of stuff I haven't seen. You can stay in one region, walk and climb all day and still miss stuff. I have 40~ of 120 shrines completed and 850~ Korok seeds left to be found. It's crazy to think I still haven't seen the majority of the game yet.
The more I read stuff like this, the more I want a Switch and this game. Must resist.

I've always heard that 480i games can't display or run games at 60fps or something, is this true? When I'm playing say a Gamecube or Xbox game at 480i on a HDTV, does that mean it can only run at 30fps if the output is interlaced? How does it work? I don't really care about graphics or IQ, but this is a big deal, if true.

I've always heard that 480i games can't display or run games at 60fps or something, is this true? When I'm playing say a Gamecube or Xbox game at 480i on a HDTV, does that mean it can only run at 30fps if the output is interlaced? How does it work? I don't really care about graphics or IQ, but this is a big deal, if true.

It's not really true but it's kinda complicated. There are lots of games that run at 60"fps" at 480i.

But at 480i the TV doesn't display full frames each time the scanlines run down the screen. You get what's called a "field" instead, which is half a frame spaced out in the interlaced pattern. It takes two full fields to make a frame. So you can either display 30 full frames each over two fields or 60 fields, none of which are technically a frame on their own, relying on image retention from previous field being pretty similar to look decent.

Some games on some systems take advantage of this to do only less work drawing out frames, doing 240 lines each frame at 60 rather than rendering 480 lines and only displaying half. If you hear about "field rendering" on PS2 that's exactly what's going on; it's a neat trick to save RAM and rendering work but makes forcing 480p on those games sometimes impossible.

I don't believe the NYC-only story of those converters is true. More likely they were used during the following year (86) during the nationwide roll-out as they significantly expanded the markets covered across the US. They would have boosted the manufacturing process after the NES really took off that year. The converters are not common but they are not terribly rare, either -- just difficult to find because the only way to know for sure if a cart has one is to open it. There a few signs to look for that can give you a good idea without opening but you can't be 100% sure.

David, if those prices shown are what you paid then you got a good deal. Most go on eBay for like $15-$20.

I don't believe the NYC-only story of those converters is true. More likely they were used during the following year (86) during the nationwide roll-out as they significantly expanded the markets covered across the US. They would have boosted the manufacturing process after the NES really took off that year. The converters are not common but they are not terribly rare, either -- just difficult to find because the only way to know for sure if a cart has one is to open it. There a few signs to look for that can give you a good idea without opening but you can't be 100% sure.

David, if those prices shown are what you paid then you got a good deal. Most go on eBay for like $15-$20.
yeah, the carts are 4,5 bucks.

a sure way to tell without opening is looking at the end of the pins: there's a little tooth sticking out from each pin. if that tooth is sticking out off to the side at the end of each pin, it's a converter (see pic), if the tooth on each pin is dead center, it's doesn't have it.

Mega

Banned
The more I read stuff like this, the more I want a Switch and this game. Must resist.

I was playing all weekend in handheld mode... and this is coming from someone who almost never used Wii U Off-TV Play (bulky, awful screen) and who never liked complex 3D games on the 3DS (slide pad and right nub suck, subpar low-res screens). Personally, I literally forget I'm playing on a handheld because I'm so into the game and the screen is that good. I think this is the best launch portable hardware Nintendo has put out, barring battery tech limitations beyond their control and some people having Joycon problems (I've had none).

Relevant to this thread, I downloaded KOF '98 for Switch to see what it's like and it has pretty robust config options. Various scanline levels with bilinear filtering (it works well with the lines) or raw pixel output. Fine control over screen size, width, position and orientation (a shooter would be playable vertically on the Switch tablet or a rotated monitor). Output looks clean and pixel perfect, although I'm still playing around to determine exactly which size/width values produce even scanlines and even pixels... I think these values are different on the 720p tablet screen vs. docked on a 1080p display but I think I got it dialed in nearly perfect last night. I'm hoping VC games are this good in terms of PQ and options. Wii U was pretty bad for anything that wasn't GBA or DS.

yeah, the carts are 4,5 bucks.

a sure way to tell without opening is looking at the end of the pins: there's a little tooth sticking out from each pin. if that tooth is sticking out off to the side at the end of each pin, it's a converter (see pic), if the tooth on each pin is dead center, it's doesn't have it.

I can't believe I never noticed that.

I used to pick them out from Gyromite cartridges by weight. After a while you can tell the heavy ones.

bobble

Relevant to this thread, I downloaded KOF '98 for Switch to see what it's like and it has pretty robust config options. Various scanline levels with bilinear filtering (it works well with the lines) or raw pixel output. Fine control over screen size, width, position and orientation (a shooter would be playable vertically on the Switch tablet or a rotated monitor). Output looks clean and pixel perfect, although I'm still playing around to determine exactly which size/width values produce even scanlines and even pixels... I think these values are different on the 720p tablet screen vs. docked on a 1080p display but I think I got it dialed in nearly perfect last night. I'm hoping VC games are this good in terms of PQ and options. Wii U was pretty bad for anything that wasn't GBA or DS.

I downloaded KOF98 too, haven't played it since the new patch that brightens things up. Interesting about orientation - playing shooters tate on the Switch screen is a mini-dream I have.

Let us know the perfect settings!

Kawika

Games that require precise timing should be okay if your display is very low latency. I honestly cannot notice the lag much at all even playing shmups or similar on my ~2ms computer monitor. If you've got a big ass TV with 40ms lag, though, that'll be a problem. Can't imagine 40ms would be enjoyable even with an OSSC, though. There's a point after around double where the framemeister's lag falls (~20ms) that things start to really fuck me up.

You know I always wonder this about input lag. I wonder if its more to do with reaction time of a person vs the lag of the framemeister.

I have the following TVs and this is more or less my experience.

Sony (2015) 4K 810c. Pre Firmware patch was fine post patch reported 30-45ms (fume)

Pre patch I could only play my Analogue NT and modern consoles. Input lag was noticeable.

Framemeister was unplayable and I could never make anything look right to boot.

I basically only use this for movies now. Pretty much everything but rpgs and slow action games is unplayable

Dell G Sync TN Monitor estimated 1-2 ms input lag

Framemeister mostly everything is playable. No real issues.

Analogue NT - Mike Tyson Down - nuff said

Samsung (2016) 4K KU6300 - 19ms

Framemeister mostly everything is playable. Kind of had trouble playing Super Mario World here and there.

Analogue NT - Made it to Wily stage w/ 0 deaths in Megaman 2. I think this is fine.

Sony BVM 20F1U CRT - No Lag (240p test suite manual lag test constant perfect)

No issues. Feels better than the dell and Samsung but not enough to ruin my timing playing on the other two displays.

I really hope to get the OSSC in the next batch. If it behaves like my Analogue NT does I am certain that this will be my go to solution over the CRT. I'd much rather play in a relaxed position than hunched over staring at a 19".

If my use of bold is not allowed please let me know and I will correct it.

My OSSC arrived today, which is great. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any video from it. Audio is working fine, so I'm guessing it's the cable I'm using to connect it to my display.

So, I'm using a PS1 with an RGB cable. That's connected to the OSSC, which is connected to my monitor via a DVI-DisplayPort cable. Is the DVI-DisplayPort the reason I'm not getting any video?

Mega

Banned
I downloaded KOF98 too, haven't played it since the new patch that brightens things up. Interesting about orientation - playing shooters tate on the Switch screen is a mini-dream I have.

Let us know the perfect settings!

It wasn't brightness. The Neo Geo games had messed up gamma or colors... it was nasty. But they look great now. http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=232157298&postcount=658

This guy landed on the exact same numbers I did when I was testing last night:

depending what you want, I found that for pixel accuracy 133 should be near 4x while 100 is actually 3x resolution of the NeoGeo resolution when in 1080p, in 720p (which applies to portable) 150 is your best bet

3x at 720p (tablet): 150
3x at 1080p: 100
4x at 1080p: 133

My OSSC arrived today, which is great. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any video from it. Audio is working fine, so I'm guessing it's the cable I'm using to connect it to my display.

So, I'm using a PS1 with an RGB cable. That's connected to the OSSC, which is connected to my monitor via a DVI-DisplayPort cable. Is the DVI-DisplayPort the reason I'm not getting any video?

Try playing with the different scaling and output options on the OSSC. I don't own one but I've seen people post many times that certain scaling options don't work on their tv/monitor.

For reference you can find all the specs supported by display port here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

You know I always wonder this about input lag. I wonder if its more to do with reaction time of a person vs the lag of the framemeister.

I have the following TVs and this is more or less my experience.

Sony (2015) 4K 810c. Pre Firmware patch was fine post patch reported 30-45ms (fume)

Pre patch I could only play my Analogue NT and modern consoles. Input lag was noticeable.

Framemeister was unplayable and I could never make anything look right to boot.

I basically only use this for movies now. Pretty much everything but rpgs and slow action games is unplayable

Dell G Sync TN Monitor estimated 1-2 ms input lag

Framemeister mostly everything is playable. No real issues.

Analogue NT - Mike Tyson Down - nuff said

Samsung (2016) 4K KU6300 - 19ms

Framemeister mostly everything is playable. Kind of had trouble playing Super Mario World here and there.

Analogue NT - Made it to Wily stage w/ 0 deaths in Megaman 2. I think this is fine.

Sony BVM 20F1U CRT - No Lag (240p test suite manual lag test constant perfect)

No issues. Feels better than the dell and Samsung but not enough to ruin my timing playing on the other two displays.

I really hope to get the OSSC in the next batch. If it behaves like my Analogue NT does I am certain that this will be my go to solution over the CRT. I'd much rather play in a relaxed position than hunched over staring at a 19".

If my use of bold is not allowed please let me know and I will correct it.
This lines up with my experience quite well.

<16ms: perfect, effectively unnoticeable, in rhythm games I'll feel it but can adjust without issue.

16-32ms: acceptable, but 2 frames is sometimes questionable in the twitchiest/most precise genres

32-48ms: noticeable, but I can manage it in games that aren't very punishing and don't require precision such as action adventure games (zelda, for instance) and of course RPGs

>48ms: problematic in everything except RPGs, with inputs feeling noticeably off.

I feel this way about latency in online games, too, with similar numbers barring very good latency mitigation netcode. When I play csgo, for instance, I can feel the difference between ~15ms (the best I get online) and ~70ms which is the higher end of what I get on east coast servers (i'm in FL).

Damn, and I thought I was a stickler for lag.

2 frames (32ms or less) and I'm completely fine. I'm probably buying a 21ms OLED this year. I'm still a HUGE CRT fan though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom