• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took some better shots of my OSSC / PS1 setup.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
9bbEA9t.jpg

SOTN

Digging your choice of games.

Think those pictures show off how close to a CRT the OSSC comes, too, in terms of image quality. looks really nice.

8' arrived and...yep my head hurts. Its fucking beautiful though and will serve my one hour to two hour retro bursts well until I upgrade to 13'. For now though, quick question: How do ya'll use svideo via pvm? Been searching for a S-Video Female to male BNC and keep finding expensive alternatives. Am I missing something?

Also do standard RCA to BNC adapters work for Composite to Component as well?

Yes Boss!

8' arrived and...yep my head hurts. Its fucking beautiful though and will serve my one hour to two hour retro bursts well until I upgrade to 13'. For now though, quick question: How do ya'll use svideo via pvm? Been searching for a S-Video Female to male BNC and keep finding expensive alternatives. Am I missing something?

Also do standard RCA to BNC adapters work for Composite to Component as well?

Do yours have an S-Video input? I have a couple smaller units and I think they have them...though they might be larger then 8 inches...maybe 13 inches.

That small and it won't have component. Not 480p. You will have to use BNC for composite...as yellow video is still BNC.

Here are my minis. I love them for 16-bit stuff:

FF898F96-69C8-4CF5-9F35-168846B323D4.jpeg

.....It does have svideo. Oops.

SO component wont work via the RCA adapters whatsoever? Not trying to get 480p but 240p from my og Xbox.

Yes Boss!

.....It does have svideo. Oops.

SO component wont work via the RCA adapters whatsoever? Not trying to get 480p but 240p from my og Xbox.

I use component for 240p stuff on them for Wii VC. But I believe you need a display with those inputs. Like the 20Ls.

Has to have this on the back:

FB204AE5-B133-4C6B-AC77-6110C02968F0.jpg

I use component for 240p stuff on them for Wii VC. But I believe you need a display with those inputs. Like the 20Ls.

Has to have this on the back:

FB204AE5-B133-4C6B-AC77-6110C02968F0.jpg

Damn it doesn't have YPbPr. Man Mega was right, need a bigger model! For now I'll be satisfied with the majority of my SCART systems.

Mega

Banned
Damn it doesn't have YPbPr. Man Mega was right, need a bigger model! For now I'll be satisfied with the majority of my SCART systems.

You have the 8045q? It has Component on the same three inputs as RGB. RGB also uses the Sync input.

Composite goes in either Line A or Line B. S-video is on Line A.

For Composite, Component and RGB, you need BNC-to-RCA adapters.

It has all the connections you need, only problem being it's too small!

Yes Boss!

You have the 8045q? It has Component on the same three inputs as RGB. RGB also uses the Sync input.

There you go!

Damn, that is small.

There you go!

Damn, that is small.

Lol what a trial and error this has been, really should've consulted you guys first ;/ usually I'm more well researched then this before purchase but the hype impulse got me ;/.

How do you guys feel about the 14N6U models for a 13' upgrade in the future?

Yes Boss!

I think I prolly have those...but to be honest I don't follow model numbers and there are folks on here who are more knowledgeable. Plus, mine have been in storage for a few years as I was living in Korea. But the next size up is definitely the minimum threshold for size.

Friends, I remember many posts ago something about the Saturn being one of the only consoles where the region (NTSC-J vs. NTSC-U) matters for RGB SCART output. Is that right, and would I have to get a Japanese Saturn SCART cable if I wanted to switch my Saturn to a Japanese model? THANKS

Bonus round: I want to switch my Saturn from a model 2 North American to a model 1 Japanese, for the looks (cool grey color) and intro splash screen. And just because. In order to play Japanese and North American games, will the 4mb cart that allows me to play Japanese games on my North American console allow me to do the opposite? And what's the deal with the smaller mb carts, I've heard some games only support them and don't make use of the 4mb one. Are there 1 or 2mb booster carts required for some games, and do they come with the region free feature some of the 4mb carts have?

Friends, I remember many posts ago something about the Saturn being one of the only consoles where the region (NTSC-J vs. NTSC-U) matters for RGB SCART output. Is that right, and would I have to get a Japanese Saturn SCART cable if I wanted to switch my Saturn to a Japanese model? THANKS

Bonus round: I want to switch my Saturn from a model 2 North American to a model 1 Japanese, for the looks (cool grey color) and intro splash screen. And just because. In order to play Japanese and North American games, will the 4mb cart that allows me to play Japanese games on my North American console allow me to do the opposite? And what's the deal with the smaller mb carts, I've heard some games only support them and don't make use of the 4mb one. Are there 1 or 2mb booster carts required for some games, and do they come with the region free feature some of the 4mb carts have?

I believe the cable only matters between PAL and NTSC, not specific to NTSC-U and J.

As far as the RAM carts go, the Action Replay 4MB one works fine for me on every game except Waku Waku 7, which seems to need its own, but I'm not 100 on that.

But yes, the region unlock feature works both ways, allowing you to play US games on a J console, or the other way around.

Mega

Banned
Lol what a trial and error this has been, really should've consulted you guys first ;/ usually I'm more well researched then this before purchase but the hype impulse got me ;/.

14N6U and 14N2U have RGB but lack Component. Dealbreaker if I were looking for a single upgrade option.

May want to avoid the 14N5U. They go pretty cheap on ebay because their best input is S-video.

Mega

Banned
Switch has good, clean output.Took the Zelda shots because some really ugly captures are floating around in the CEMU threads to show how much worse the game looks on native hardware. Of course CEMU is a big improvement, but why use crappy misleading pics to prove a point?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My gscartsw arrived! I can't use it yet as I was lazy and didn't get on ordering a male-to-male cart cable. Doh.

Does anyone know if there's a cable to run from the 2nd VGA-style output to a normal scart-head?

Everyone seems to use the VGA-style to BNC cables if they want to use it on a PVM, but my PVM is a Sony and it has a custom input type. I have an adapter to run regular scart into it. Would be easier if I could just output a second scart, rather than BNC...

Peltz

Switch has good, clean output.Took the Zelda shots because some really ugly captures are floating around in the CEMU threads to show how much worse the game looks on native hardware. Of course CEMU is a big improvement, but why use crappy misleading pics to prove a point?

I mean... it's HDMI and Zelda is 900p most of the time (which is pretty darn clean looking). People should know better.

I mean... it's HDMI and Zelda is 900p most of the time (which is pretty darn clean looking). People should know better.

The problem with the switch is the screenshot utility creates a compressed image which then gets compressed again to upload to Twitter or Facebook which then gets downloaded and potentially re compressed a third time for an image comparison.

The problem with the switch is the screenshot utility creates a compressed image which then gets compressed again to upload to Twitter or Facebook which then gets downloaded and potentially re compressed a third time for an image comparison.

Really? Wish they would let you save uncompressed shots to the SD card.

Kawika

My gscartsw arrived! I can't use it yet as I was lazy and didn't get on ordering a male-to-male cart cable. Doh.

Does anyone know if there's a cable to run from the 2nd VGA-style output to a normal scart-head?

Everyone seems to use the VGA-style to BNC cables if they want to use it on a PVM, but my PVM is a Sony and it has a custom input type. I have an adapter to run regular scart into it. Would be easier if I could just output a second scart, rather than BNC...

I use this cable from Monoprice. Don't buy this from amazon its never in stock and even if they say it is, it often isn't. Even monoprice cancelled on me a few times before I could get it. I am assuming you have bnc hook ups on your PVM. If you have the multi pin I think you could buy a bnc to multipin adapter but you'd have to ask someone else here because I don't have any.

Also I highly recommend this male to male cable for your output to your xrgb if you are doing a dual set up like mine (1 goes to the bvm from the d-sub and the other goes to my xrgb-mini from the scart out).

I hope this helps.

By the way, does anyone ever use their SDI input to their bvm? Can you convert composite or analog (cheaply) to sdi? I really don't know anything about what type of signal travels through that input and if its inferior to connecting through bnc. I have a couple consoles I haven't converted (or bought cables for) to rgb yet and my BVM doesn't support s-vid or composite.

Mega

Banned

Some of them do know better and are purposefully misleading the rest. This one below for example... the "Switch" portion is a CEMU screenshot: emulator UI glitch on top left, bad scaling to a weird non-native resolution, low quality with compression, very blurry. Later today I'm getting a capture of that Kakariko shop to see how much better it really looks.

That's true, but some are going a step further to "prove a point" and using actual terrible captures not from the Switch photo utility. See above.

Really? Wish they would let you save uncompressed shots to the SD card.

Same, although I understand it's just a neat casual tool to show friends your pics and share on social media.

Mega

Banned
Nintendo is dumb for not giving the option for uncompressed screenshots. I took so many shots of Zelda and all of them look like doo-doo compared to how it looks on my HDTV.

I realized this at launch when I took pics of Fast RMX... the smooth visuals and clean graphic text on my screen turned pretty janky. Nintendo should up the screenshot quality since people are posting these publically and they're a less than accurate representation of the picture quality achievable by their new console.

I've seen some dumb comparisons on youtube of 3DS vs that system's emulator too. I'm not sure why but there a lot of really awful 3DS capture videos, like the scaling seems completely broken (non integer & not filtered resampled & some other level of fuckery), and then there are other people using this homebrew streaming thing that causes slowdown/framedrops and messed up audio.

Let's not even get into how hard it can be to even find good native hardware screenshots of Wii games due to the existence of dolphin, especially for older games.

televator

Are these external HDMI captures or the built in screen cap function?

jbueno

Alright GAF, so I got a pretty good deal on a couple of Sony PVM 1910 monitors, and even though those are pretty old, I just couldn´t pass them up. Playing on composite only for now, tried to connect the PS2 using component cables changing the menu setting to RGB it was a no go, so I´ll have to get some RGB cables. In the meantime, even composite looks great.

Balb

I've been out of the loop with this stuff for the last 6 months or so. What's the best way to play Game Gear games on the TV these days?

Balb

Well, been a hell of a six months that you missed.

Now it is the Analogue NT mini.

I'm interested in getting one down the line but I only got an original Analogue NT last year :(. Was hoping for a solution where I can use my original cartridges.

Yes Boss!

I'm interested in getting one down the line but I only got an original Analogue NT last year :(. Was hoping for a solution where I can use my original cartridges.

Apparently very easy to prop your cards to the side of the system and just spool every game from the SD. I have not updated mine yet...but seems most ideal. Even playing things like Ys with FM.

Well, I'm pretty fucking upset right now.

I left my PS1 paused for like 30/40 minutes on Tobal 2. It's hooked up to a OSSC which is connected to my Predator X34 monitor.

I come back to this:

That's some pretty bad burn in.

Well, I'm pretty fucking upset right now.

I left my PS1 paused for like 30/40 minutes on Tobal 2. It's hooked up to a OSSC which is connected to my Predator X34 monitor.

I come back to this:

That's some pretty bad burn in.
no worries, that's just image retention, not burn-in, your monitor is safe =)

Funnily enough, I loaded up the exact same video like when I noticed. Thanks.

Not to get too personal, but shit like this has been happening to me non-stop this past week.

I have to find a new place to live, got dumped and dropped and smashed my phone. Hopefully this one will go away.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I use this cable from Monoprice. Don't buy this from amazon its never in stock and even if they say it is, it often isn't. Even monoprice cancelled on me a few times before I could get it. I am assuming you have bnc hook ups on your PVM. If you have the multi pin I think you could buy a bnc to multipin adapter but you'd have to ask someone else here because I don't have any.

Also I highly recommend this male to male cable for your output to your xrgb if you are doing a dual set up like mine (1 goes to the bvm from the d-sub and the other goes to my xrgb-mini from the scart out).

I hope this helps.
Thanks! I was away from the thread for a few days so I didn't see this great response.

I actually can't use that VGA-style -> BNC cable by itself because my Sony PVM does indeed have the "CMPTR" multipin input.

I suppose I would need a BNC -> Sony CMPTR multi pin cable along with that... Anyone have any experience with this? Is this really the best way to get that gscartsw second input into my PVM?

Ran that video on loop for a while. All signs are gone. YAY

Went and played like 40mins of Tobal 2.

The UI is back again.

Am I going to have to run a video like that after every time I play a game with static UI, or is the image retention something that can go away by itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom