• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

rubhen925

Is the ray tracing noticeable
Unlike most other games there's not that many puddles or mirrors to check for significant ray tracing reflections etc. It's there but sometimes not that noticeable. More noticeable in darker areas like the first areas than the second and 3rd. But then again that's me. Maybe others could chime in.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hey guys, I'm back again, this time with Returnal. My physical copy came in early. Sony said they ran out of codes lol. Had to take matters into my own hands. But yea, the game is quite literally particle effects the game. You'll understand what I mean when you play it. Couple things to note:

1) The game does indeed run at 4K 60FPS. It's great for the most part except for first person view when inside the house sections, and also when tons of projectiles and enemies appear. You can get some drops. I even had a stutter on stream today
2) Loading is less than 1-2 seconds. Pretty fantastic on that
3) Game doesn't have an option to turn of Ray Tracing. I checked, it wasn't in the settings.
4) HDR settings not available to customize the game visuals. You'll have to setup HDR settings through PS5 video and screen settings.
5) I suggest taking of motion blur as i got nausea during fast fight moments.
6) Once you beat an area/boss, and move to another region, if you die there are quick shortcuts to get to those new regions without having to go through the first area all over again. New abilities and upgrades allow this when traversing.
7) Other than that, not much else to say. Enjoy the game as it's one of the best rogue lites I can recommend.

Let me know what your impressions are if you get the chance to play it :)

Also HDR is still processing on Youtube. it's taking forever.....sorry

Cheers

I watched and skimmed a few minutes, would rather go in fresh but looks stellar and smooth.

Chukhopops

781299.jpg
Do you think we need seven threads on the main page about one game? But hey whatever.

Kuranghi

Hey guys, I'm back again, this time with Returnal. My physical copy came in early. Sony said they ran out of codes lol. Had to take matters into my own hands. But yea, the game is quite literally particle effects the game. You'll understand what I mean when you play it. Couple things to note:

1) The game does indeed run at 4K 60FPS. It's great for the most part except for first person view when inside the house sections, and also when tons of projectiles and enemies appear. You can get some drops. I even had a stutter on stream today
3) Game doesn't have an option to turn of Ray Tracing. I checked, it wasn't in the settings.
4) HDR settings not available to customize the game visuals. You'll have to setup HDR settings through PS5 video and screen settings.
6) Once you beat an area/boss, and move to another region, if you die there are quick shortcuts to get to those new regions without having to go through the first area all over again. New abilities and upgrades allow this when traversing.
7) Other than that, not much else to say. Enjoy the game as it's one of the best rogue lites I can recommend.

Cheers

5) Does that also disable object motion blur or just screen motion blur?

Unlike most other games there's not that many puddles or mirrors to check for significant ray tracing reflections etc. It's there but sometimes not that noticeable. More noticeable in darker areas like the first areas than the second and 3rd. But then again that's me. Maybe others could chime in.
There are no ray traced reflections. Only ray traced GI (Global Illumination).

saintjules

Gold Member
Extreme early findings/impressions so far. I'll update accordingly as I progress until official release:
  • The Dualsense is absolutely amazing in this. In my opinion, surpasses Astro's Playroom. Every press of the button generates a unique vibration and to the reactions from the environment. For instance, the raindrops. You can feel each drop on you. And when you hide under something where there is no rain, it just stops. Doesn't feel like they're forcing to keep the vibration running just because you're in an area where it requires vibration. Turns on/off accordingly to where you're positioned.
  • Feels like there's an endless amount of variations in the vibration features. You even feel it unique in the settings menu. Definitely a 'next-gen' experience in gaming on PS5 so far.
  • The audio sounds great in Home Theater, but I think the ultimate experience is in the Headphones. I'm going to try this now.
  • The timed reload action I feel will be something users may not pay much attention to, especially when there's so much going on in 'heat of the moment' battles. I got the hang of it early on in preparation as I feel it will be a clutch moment.
  • Rock solid 60fps and no dips so far.
  • The blue ball like artifacts that we've seen in the previews when Selene teleports resemble the ones in Sony's marketing videos, specifically the showcase reveal back in June. Coincidence.
  • Dualsense Controller gets drained like crazy. I'm on the last bar probably after 2 hours of solid use.
In the Settings
  • Aim Assist - there's low, medium and high. Usually the options I see in games normally for this feature is either on/off, which is cool there's a level variance here in this case.
  • Crosshair features under HUD - you can adjust the weight (thickness) and scale (size) of the crosshair
  • There's no HDR in this game, only a 'Brightness and SDR' setting. Personally it looks amazing on my C9, so it doesn't feel like it needs HDR anyway. I don't know if this impacts the system settings HDR in any way though.
    • Edit: I'm going to double check this again. See now if I restart the game to verify it on the OLED (lol)...The in game settings say "Brightness and SDR" and you can only use the brightness adjustment slider. It seems HDR is going by the OS system settings.
There's going to be things in this game that will immediately have players say, 'wait for a sale'. I kind of see why. It's just a feeling I have when playing, but I'm super early in on this game, so I'll reserve judgment for later. I'm happy with my purchase though so far.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Even if it does, worth it.

But yeah companies really need to separate the blur options.

Personal choice and all but I don't want to play a game where enemies move as fast as they do in this without object motion blur, unless the implementation is rubbish ofc.

Control has terrible screen motion blur, but then the physics objects look rubbish when you throw them without motion blur on imo, they're far too clear and it doesn't look as cinem... exciting :p. This is on my "smeary" 65ZD9 panel as well.

looks boring and dull

Compared to what?

Hezekiah

Banned

Cheers

Looks tasty af.

Last edited:

nowhat

Is the patch already downloaded on the digital version?
On PS4, usually you'd get the latest patch with the download. But I just fired up the game, and.... yeah, my version was 1.002.000, it's just downloading 1.003.000. Which sucks, but luckily I have a 100M connection, so I'll wait for another 15 minutes. Still, not great. The patch is about 10GB FWIW.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Interest before today: 0

Interest after finally seeing this OT and bothering to check a trailer: 100

I can't wait for this weekend.

nowhat

About an hour in. I know I've been rather critical about these kinds of comments/threads, so yes, egg me all you want and I'm well aware of the hypocrisy, but still...

FFS JIM RYAN BUY HOUSEMARQUE ALREADY!!!ONE!

I've been a fan of the studio for quite some time, but still had my doubts whether they'd be able to pull this off. So far, did they ever. This feels so good to play. Literally, the DualSense implementation is just amazing. Regarding the whole "you die and you have to start over"-thingy, this doesn't apply if you fall off a cliff or somesuch. So no worries with exploration/platforming in that regard.

skit_data

Playing right now, everything feels good.

As far as I’ve seen pretty much all items I’ve picked up seems permanent. I have only died 2 times, but so far I really don’t get the whole ”you lose everything on death”-scare. There is definitely permanent progression being made in one way or another pretty much all the time so far.

I cant really wrap my head around the weapon calibrators you find. Are they specific to the weapon? Are these permanent?

Last edited:

renzolama

I'm dipping so hard I might never break the surface again - extremely well reviewed housemarque AAA third person arcade shooter, it's like the holy grail of awesome

Last edited:
Hmmm either my clock is still busted or this unlocks at 11

C8vtggz.jpg

EDIT: Yep it added another hour. See u at 12.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I downloaded black ops cold war last night and turned out no storage room for Retunal pre-load, lmao, gotta rush through COD campaign to make some room.

ToadMan

I'm in New York USA.

I was just at the store. I asked them about how they release stuff early. They said they ask their distributor if they're allowed to release games early as they get delivered and they're usually 'pushed' to sell immediately once it's in their system. Sometimes they sell two days early, but most of the time a day before.

I left the price tag on. No FUD at $70 :messenger_savoring:

yYrzcnP.jpg

You know though that for people who are holding off because of price, the resale value of this will stay higher. You’ll get $50 and maybe more quite easily if you decide to sell in the next month or so.

I think I’ll go physical because of that too. Maybe I’ll be one of the people buying it used at this rate ...

TheAssist

Yeah I am just going to add on to the pile of people who hate the no save "feature".

I was about to buy it, but the fact that I cant save mid run to do something else, makes this a no purchase. Of course you would still restart after dying, but at least let me have the option to do real life stuff or play something else when runs take several hours.

They tried to get mainstream with this game, part of that is to allow the mainstream to actual be able to play it. And yes, lots of other rouge lites have the option to come back to a run, when you quit the game.
I think they are loosing out on a lot of sales, or are getting some angry responses when those not in the know find out about it.

They probably will have to patch it in. In this state its not worth 80€ to a lot of people who are actually interested. An incredible oversight to be honest. And I am a bit mad about it, because I really like what I am seeing and I want to play it. I would also fork over the 80 bucks, but come on, let me fucking save the god damn game. Such a weird decision in their part and I wonder why no one higher up has made an executive decision on it (again, seeing as their are trying to break into the mainstream and Sony offers quite the amount of marketing money).

Top Bottom