• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

tommib

Gold Member
Ok. Got a really annoying freeze because I was super powered in my run and reaching the boss. Annoying. Game is everything I hoped for but now I’m dreading long runs and freezes.

Goddamit, I just got a message from the store from which I pre ordered the game that there have been more orders than they had anticipated, so I'll be getting my game next week.
Seems that atleast the physical version's pre order numbers are pretty good. But this store's price for Returnal is 50 €, so that might have something to do with it.

And my body was so ready to play it this weekend 😫
Some witchcraft was practised and I got my copy !!
Good weekend awaits!

Withnail

Played for a couple of hours, seems great so far. It controls like a dream, so smooth and responsive. Also the haptic feedback is so impressive, I feel like with practice it would be possible to time the active reload just from feel alone.

I had one crash to the dashboard which was a bit annoying so hopefully that will get patched pretty quickly.

Question: am I supposed to be able to kill the enemies with red shields at this point? I couldn't find a way to damage them so I've just been running past them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Played for a couple of hours, seems great so far. It controls like a dream, so smooth and responsive. Also the haptic feedback is so impressive, I feel like with practice it would be possible to time the active reload just from feel alone.

I had one crash to the dashboard which was a bit annoying so hopefully that will get patched pretty quickly.

Question: am I supposed to be able to kill the enemies with red shields at this point? I couldn't find a way to damage them so I've just been running past them.

You find an object to break the red barriers as part of story exploration

Why do people say you can't pause? I pause and it's a blank screen, does the game run in the background?

saintjules

Gold Member

Before we talk metrics, it's really got to be stressed that Housemarque is pushing the new GPU hard. Really hard. The game's visual make-up is based on a density of effects that demands some level of compromise elsewhere in the pipeline. Sony advertises this title by saying it's running at a dynamic 4K - a catch-all term it has used for all manner of upscaling solutions of varying levels of quality. At its heart, Returnal operates at a relatively low internal resolution, then uses a couple of techniques to boost the quality of the output. This starts with temporal reconstruction to 1440p, followed by a checkerboarding pass to deliver a 2160p output.
VRR support is needed asap by Sony

Even so, we're still in 50-60fps territory here, with 60fps generally the standard. As such, the drops are visible when they happens, but not in a way that will unduly impact your enjoyment of the game. However, this does highlight that variable refresh rate display support at the system level really is needed for PlayStation 5. It would smooth out all of the (minor) issues I encountered when playing the game totally.
Ray tracing is used in interesting ways

After checking in Housemarque, we got some answers: the PlayStation 5's RT hardware is used to accelerate global illumination queries, essentially speeding up a software-based system and not used for direct visual results. A similar system is used in Nvidia's RTXGI, so I'll be curious if this technology is repurposed in some way for Returnal - RTXGI is a part of Unreal Engine 4 now. Housemarque also shared that the hardware RT system in PlayStation 5 is also used to take the 3D audio in Returnal to the next level: audio environment queries are accelerated with hardware ray tracing support.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

shubik

What a game! I´m still in the first biome and getting my ass kicked but boy do I have fun. Gunplay feels great! Especially the second firing mode feels so powerful.

Dual Sense is such a nice upgrade to last-gen and overall the whole experience just feels fluid and crisp. No loading times still blows my mind 3 months into having a PS5.

I loved Housemarque´s past games but I´ll be honest I had my doubt that they can deliver a story-driven AAA title. So far I feel like they delivered on all fronts. Let´s see how hard the game actually is and if it can hold this incredibly high standard displayed in the first hours.

Last edited:

CyberChulo

So as I keep dying, when I get out of the spawn area, sometimes I see a warning that says Helios Abandoned. Was I supposed to get something from the ship? I go back but don't really see anything different.

shubik

You will get an upgrade melee sword in the first biome. This will help you a lot with those guys

cormack12

Gold Member
It doesn't really benefit you to translocate straight to the boss does it. Because you just spawn there with a pistol. It's better to grind the area again?

What a game! I´m still in the first biome and getting my ass kicked but boy do I have fun. Gunplay feels great! Especially the second firing mode feels so powerful.

Dual Sense is such a nice upgrade to last-gen and overall the whole experience just feels fluid and crisp. No loading times still blows my mind 3 months into having a PS5.

I loved Housemarque´s past games but I´ll be honest I had my doubt that they can deliver a story-driven AAA title. So far I feel like they delivered on all fronts. Let´s see how hard the game actually is and if it can hold this incredibly high standard displayed in the first hours.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the no loading time time comment.

I haven’t even thought one bit about loading screens when playing Returnal. The loading is seamless, and I haven’t appreciated how much of a difference it makes. It really sets the standard for what we should expect to see over the course of this generation.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It doesn't really benefit you to translocate straight to the boss does it. Because you just spawn there with a pistol. It's better to grind the area again?
Pretty much.

The shortcuts to reach advanced areas is kinda of a dumb mechanic because you get destroyed without bulking your character in the previous areas, it is probably a mechanic for speedrunner who can't waste time and can defeat bosses even with a pistol :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You need to explore every biome to find upgrades, but at least everything is marked in the map so you know where to go.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Ok. Got a really annoying freeze because I was super powered in my run and reaching the boss. Annoying. Game is everything I hoped for but now I’m dreading long runs and freezes.
Same. I'm not into roguelike or stuff like that, but I need something to play on ps5 and think this looks fun as shit. I hope they patch in the option to at least save at points

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Finally got some time in tonight after getting the kids to sleep.

First run I get a few rooms in but this huge dude beast slams me and kills me. Second run is the one, I’m making huge progress getting all kinds of shit, explore the house a bit, get to the boss and get him down to about 20% left before his last phase before I die. Next run I’m getting massive items, level 4 weapon with bonus damage, I’m ready to go.

Get the boss down to 1% and he just needs like two shots and I get tagged with an errant projectile from above. Goddamn the exhilaration, the rollercoaster. Got some of the same feels from when I play dark souls.

This game is good. Can’t wait to dive back in tomorrow and kill that boss and see what’s next!

Pantz

Just finish your run then quit. This isn't hard.

"Can't use a core system feature cuz orange" lol wtf
Even small indie rogue lites have a save & quit option. So I should just suicide my run if I want to play a different PS5 game or turn my PS5 off for an extended time? Maybe the orange lights don't bother you but they do bother me. I'm not into the whole LED fad.

The second boss is really tricky... at least, it was before the patch, not sure what it’s like now on the latest patch. The third boss battle I beat on my first try, the fight is epic though.

FrankWza

I’m not sure if anyone else posted this but Just a heads up. If anyone wants a physical copy get it ASAP because copies are looking scarce right now

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I think the devs might want to tune the negative perks on items.. Feel like most of the time the extra's are kinda lame. And the negatives are way more annoying. Kinda bad balancing in a game that gives out items a lot.
The risk reward seems off.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Anyone afraid of difficulty, it's not. It's fairly balanced, I would say slightly easy. Just beaten the game in a very long session, roughly 11 hours.

Dying is part of the game and story, don't be afraid. But I've fairly passed through the bosses easily. Gonna check the game again when I wake up, because story need more repetition to be saturated AFAIK.

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just beaten the game in a very long session, roughly 11 hours.
Samuel L Jackson What GIF by Coming to America

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Thoroughly exploring, reading. In gross it's from 8:00am (aka 12:00am VA, USA) and finished 7:45pm. That's with eating (iftar = Ramadhan) and bathrooms in betweens.

I wanted to save and sleep here's my full take on the review thread:

Ok, guys. Started 8:00am (opens that time = 12:00am in VA, USA) and finished the game just 15 minutes ago. Around 11 hours and 45 minutes, and explored nearly most of the optional missions.

Difficulty isn't really hard, didn't restart at the ship after the 2 premature deaths, around 9 hours without getting back to the ship. Died in total around 5 times, you can spare yourself a life past some level so you don't lose progress, but once on each level usuing your permanent "currency".

I didn't sleep since yesterday, like now ~30 hours awake, because I didn't simply die and start from the ship so I can sleep in peace. If anyone was hesitant about the difficulty I would rate it 7/10 vs Give Me God of War 10/10 and 9/10 Crushing in TLOU2.

I've enjoyed the game and I think there are still some secrets to check out, even though I've visited the house 3 times already and usually try to explore thoroughly. Just don't be afraid about dying, when you jump back again you can skim through fast to the level as it makes it shorter to you to get back, and when you reach the level you get a weapon upgrade (not the weapon itself but something like ID level for your next weapon you open). You can even manage with 0 level guns as leveling isn't steep in the game.

I would give it 8.5/10.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Either this game is pretty tough or I just suck. I can't even beat the first boss. 😂😂

Here's my resume:

1st boss (one go)
2nd boss (2nd go because I came to him while being 30% in health with no health packs)
3rd boss (one go)
4th boss (one go)
5th boss (one go)
6th boss (2nd go and nearly killed me in the end because had 2 malfunctions in both runs)

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Thoroughly exploring, reading. In gross it's from 8:00am (aka 12:00am VA, USA) and finished 7:45pm. That's with eating (iftar = Ramadhan) and bathrooms in betweens.

I wanted to save and sleep here's my full take on the review thread:

Ok, guys. Started 8:00am (opens that time = 12:00am in VA, USA) and finished the game just 15 minutes ago. Around 11 hours and 45 minutes, and explored nearly most of the optional missions.

Difficulty isn't really hard, didn't restart at the ship after the 2 premature deaths, around 9 hours without getting back to the ship. Died in total around 5 times, you can spare yourself a life past some level so you don't lose progress, but once on each level usuing your permanent "currency".

I didn't sleep since yesterday, like now ~30 hours awake, because I didn't simply die and start from the ship so I can sleep in peace. If anyone was hesitant about the difficulty I would rate it 7/10 vs Give Me God of War 10/10 and 9/10 Crushing in TLOU2.

I've enjoyed the game and I think there are still some secrets to check out, even though I've visited the house 3 times already and usually try to explore thoroughly. Just don't be afraid about dying, when you jump back again you can skim through fast to the level as it makes it shorter to you to get back, and when you reach the level you get a weapon upgrade (not the weapon itself but something like ID level for your next weapon you open). You can even manage with 0 level guns as leveling isn't steep in the game.

I would give it 8.5/10.
I've already read your take from the review thread.

What's left is me in the second biome visualizing Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , completely overtired with one hand on the keyboard while posting in the review thread and the other hand on the DualSense beating the game.

American Horror Story Fx GIF by AHS

More and more signs that this game can be beat in just 12-15 hours. Even from streamers that tried to do everything in game.. I don't know where these opinions about 50h gameplay come from but apparently it's bullshit. 10-15 h game for 80 euros is just ..lmao

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More and more signs that this game can be beat in just 12-15 hours. Even from streamers that tried to do everything in game.. I don't know where these opinions about 50h gameplay come from but apparently it's bullshit. 10-15 h game for 80 euros is just ..lmao

Still there are story bits I didn't cover as it seems. Actually the more you die the better the immersion is. Not getting to the ship only 3 times (2 because of death and the 3rd forced, not death) so I think there are things to discover if you are a completionist. I take my time 100% exploring and reading.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
image0.jpg

I just went to a room

And all i got was this

Negative melee cool down
And alt fire cooldown

So all the game did was teach me to not pick up those two items

As a reward i got

Turn of turrets in a room
That’s only 1 room 1 time only
And turrets are fucking piss easy

now to fix this mess i need to take extra risk to melee enemies
and open an container.

I don't think you get an award for removing malfunction either

Bo_Hazem

Banned
image0.jpg

I just went to a room

And all i got was this

Negative melee cool down
And alt fire cooldown

So all the game did was teach me to not pick up those two items

As a reward i got

Turn of turrets in a room
That’s only 1 room 1 time only
And turrets are fucking piss easy

now to fix this mess i need to take extra risk to melee enemies
and open an container.

I don't think you get an award for removing malfunction either

Malfunctions only drag you down. I avoid them, and don't use ether on them. You need ether to have a second chance in each level, if you die you lose nothing and come back. Malfunctions stick on your ass when you comeback as well.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Can you hold more than one healing item

You can stack them if it's the same type. Not just healing. One slot could take like 3 at least from what I saw, but they're hard to find so use them wisely. Use those little aliens for low health regeneration and other stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom