• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah I am just going to add on to the pile of people who hate the no save "feature".

I was about to buy it, but the fact that I cant save mid run to do something else, makes this a no purchase. Of course you would still restart after dying, but at least let me have the option to do real life stuff or play something else when runs take several hours.

They tried to get mainstream with this game, part of that is to allow the mainstream to actual be able to play it. And yes, lots of other rouge lites have the option to come back to a run, when you quit the game.
I think they are loosing out on a lot of sales, or are getting some angry responses when those not in the know find out about it.

They probably will have to patch it in. In this state its not worth 80€ to a lot of people who are actually interested. An incredible oversight to be honest. And I am a bit mad about it, because I really like what I am seeing and I want to play it. I would also fork over the 80 bucks, but come on, let me fucking save the god damn game. Such a weird decision in their part and I wonder why no one higher up has made an executive decision on it (again, seeing as their are trying to break into the mainstream and Sony offers quite the amount of marketing money).
This is so yesterday.

Right off the bat they weren’t kidding about this looking next gen. The game is gorgeous!

hq964Qq.jpg

gi0OFxk.jpg

cSTTuMK.jpg

bm2nV2E.jpg

Last edited:

NewYork214

Have hour and 40 minutes in loving it. Not being able to save didn't bother me. It's really not that big of a deal. Got to first boss. Fuck that was hard. Almost got him on first try. Really didn't mind when I died any of the times it happened. Got caught up rather quick. Going to sleep. Definitely feels like a good secondary game to keep playing while playing other games after I do a deep dive on it first

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Got about 3 hours under my belt tonight. The shooting mechanics are fun and the arena layouts are starting to look more familiar. Haven't made it into the house, but I've seen something different every spawn and am intrigued. Really impressed with how tight the controls are and the overall performance.

NikuNashi

The control immediacy, the enemy reactions combined with the particle effects and the audio is amazing. It feels next gen, in fact it feels unique to have such an incredible looking arcade feeling game, it's definitely special.

Not loving the die start over repeat yet though, hope it grows on me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What engine is this using? I think it looks great but it also has that classic unreal engine 3 look. Lots of grey with bright purples and blues etc.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Don't have time to say much, but, game is dope. I suck at it and died on first biome boss after going through his first couple health bars. Then tried to rush through to play a bit more before i gotta sleep.

Diggin it though.

Dr Bass

Pretty cool game so far. Obvious influences of Metroid, Alien, Prometheus, Edge of Tomorrow, and maybe a few more I am missing.

In fact, I really feel like this game is somewhat what 3D Metroid should have been. The mechanics of moving, exploring and shooting are exactly what I had hoped for, and not really what we got instead with Metroid Prime. If you replaced Selene with Samus and removed the Rogue style setup, this style could easily be a Metroid game. It actually makes me not look forward to Metroid Prime 4 as much, because I think this is just better for what could have been ...

Oh well. Game is fun. Going to finish Ghost of Tsushima before getting into it though.

Last edited:

Duchess

For those playing it, how tough is this game so far?

Reviews say that the first biome is very easy compared to other.

I'm interested in the game, but Sekiro beat the hell out of me (never made it to the first boss..!), so I'm bothered the difficulty might become crushing.

(not bothered about that save thing - I use rest mode all the time to pause my games)

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I'm interested in the game, but Sekiro beat the hell out of me (never made it to the first boss..!), so I'm bothered the difficulty might become crushing.

(not bothered about that save thing - I use rest mode all the time to pause my games)
Well I died twice so far. The first time didn't take too long but the second one felt like awhile.

I can see the save thing being an issue. In my second run it was getting late and I needed to do other things and I am not a fan of rest mode. I didn't WANT to die but I wasn't upset when I did and that might be a problem.

But difficulty ... feels totally fair to me so far. Both times didn't feel cheap and I knew why I died and how I got hit. Still the first Biome though. :)

My answer is terrible, sorry.

Keihart

I had not much fate in the production values, but i have to say that some of the particle effects like the fog make the game shine above other similar stuff out right now. I was just watching Maximillian's stream and i really want to play it now.
I still think some animations look wonky as fuck and there doesn't seem to be any other ways of dealing with damage and movility besides the normal dash, run and jump, but maybe you get upgrades to parry or something, looks cool either way.
I hope it does really good.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Well I died twice so far. The first time didn't take too long but the second one felt like awhile.

I can see the save thing being an issue. In my second run it was getting late and I needed to do other things and I am not a fan of rest mode. I didn't WANT to die but I wasn't upset when I did and that might be a problem.

But difficulty ... feels totally fair to me so far. Both times didn't feel cheap and I knew why I died and how I got hit. Still the first Biome though. :)

My answer is terrible, sorry.
Wait until you get to the bosses and some elite enemies from later biomes. ;)

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Since the level layout, enemy placement and combination as well as weapon and artifact placement is completely random the games difficulty ranges from manageable to quite challenging.

The game also demands you full attention. You can get wrecked fairly quickly if you are careless.

I love it!

betrayal

Banned
Played just under 2 hours so far. There are actually the typical rogue lite elements like hidden rooms with 5+ parasites etc., the combat system is very good and responsive and the difficulty feels right. Not too easy, not too hard and always fair. I like it!

tommib

Gold Member
Played for 2 hours and was ecstatic through the whole thing. The graphics and music really stand out. Don't care much about the haptic feedback. What do the pre-order suits do? I couldn't find that info in the game itself but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Was I the only one caught of guard with these falling floors and panicking? Those "traps" get me every time.

It’s easy until it isn’t. I have to agree with ShillUp. The balancing of the elites is kinda shit.

The worst that happened was finding one of the treasure rooms in Biome 2 and this huge tentacle thing spawns in there and drops a fire storm on your ass, you don’t see shit as it’s a tight space and the Camera keeps spazzing out. This was the only time it was not fun and I died, besides that it was great. I finished act 1 (played for 5 hours).

I have played without Day1 patch (takes forever to download for some reason). So I hope this changes a few things in regards to balancing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Shmunter Shmunter was right, the cutscenes are prerendered, not real time, a guy on reeee said that during cinematic you see the original suit, not the dlc one.

Last edited:

Vindicator

Game already installed, really tempted to dive in today, but maybe finish God of War first, idk how much of the main quest is left, shouldn't take too long with fully upgraded Axe&Blades and Ivaldis Armor though.

I played Nex Machina while Returnal downloaded just to warm up a little...that shit is HARD.

And Returnal is FANTASTIC!!!!

Man...few can do what Housemarque does...their gameplay is so tight and fluid...just like Nintendo.

Last edited:

Orpheum

My copy was supposed to be delivered today and they changed it to Monday...shame shame... should have gone digital.

tommib

Gold Member
Three short runs and two bugs. First - door not open, second - teleport dont work. In booth cases i must restart cycle...Last patch installed.
Happened to me as well. On a mid-run I teleported back to near the ship to see if I could generate health back and then the main area door wouldn’t open. Had to restart the cycle. As if the game wasn’t hard enough! Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

My copy was supposed to be delivered today and they changed it to Monday...shame shame... should have gone digital.

I ordered mine for release day pickup at Best Buy about a week ago. I received a notification this morning that it would not be there today. I checked the site and there is one copy 77 miles and about a dozen Best Buys away available. I think Returnal may have done better than expected.

cormack12

Gold Member
I bought it. Slave to the machine I am. Have like 30 games on the go at the moment. Why am I this way?

Anyway, this game looks to have a very deep meta. I've spent about an hour on it maybe - just got to the house. There's a lot or buffs/debuffs, pros/cons you have to manage to really get something that synergises with your own playstyle. I think you'll be able to ignore them to an extent but later on, you're going to need to really use things like overcharge reload, parasite and artefact management.

Game looks fucking beautiful. I think Sony devs are really, really good at putting 'life' into their worlds. Even Horizon, which was devoid of most humans, had 'life' in it communicated via movement, fireflies etc. And Returnal is no exception with the flora all recting to the environment and weather. Will play more later but I really like the room design, almost like snapmapping from Doom - they are like challenge rooms. Translocator is cool and gets past the traditional slog through every room again.

Snapmap.jpg

Bugbear is the adaptive triggers again. I turned these off becasue they are annoying as fuck in some games. You can't really play this without them set to 'strong' for the alt-fire. Otherwise it's easy to just crash right past the bite point on weak/medium. On control I want the triggers set to weak as the default when shooting is stupid. Sony really need to expose those system settings within the games. I'm guessing it's an API call that doesn't exist to hook into from beyond the OS at the moment, because it seems a no brainer. The battery life flies down as well in this particular game. Probably because the haptic for rain is pretty much constant and the adaptive is always on for alt-fire.

drotahorror

Happened to me as well. On a mid-run I teleported back to near the ship to see if I could generate health back and then the main area door wouldn’t open. Had to restart the cycle. As if the game wasn’t hard enough! Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

Bah just happened to me too. I took one of those treasure room port things, and now I'm stuck down here cuz I can't press triangle anymore.

This is going to suck dick if this happens often. It might be related to trying to skip item reveals, I dunno. I used a fabricator and tried to skip the showing of the item, then could no longer pick up items or use triangle.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Seems there's an issue when installing the update file. The PS5 isn't installing it. I think it's a reported issue.

I didn't have a problem installing yesterday, but my Brother is having a problem installing the recent update. Anyone else?

Game is great so far. I wonder if the saving scenario will be addressed or not. I'm thinking the latter.

nowhat

I didn't have a problem installing yesterday, but my Brother is having a problem installing the recent update. Anyone else?
No problem installing the update per se, but rather I had preloaded .002 and when running it for the first time it told me .003 is available. On PS4, I always had the latest patch with a digital copy (caveat though, it's been such a long time since it was released that perhaps there were some teething issues initially - at least later on in the console cycle this was the case).

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Bah just happened to me too. I took one of those treasure room port things, and now I'm stuck down here cuz I can't press triangle anymore.

This is going to suck dick if this happens often. It might be related to trying to skip item reveals, I dunno. I used a fabricator and tried to skip the showing of the item, then could no longer pick up items or use triangle.
Same here. I was pretty much at the beginning so i don't mind. It was after i skipped the process of manufacturing the item.

betrayal

Banned
3rd try, failed at the boss with 10% on the second biome. The game is actually not that hard. Whereas I have to say that the parasite, which always heals you a bit when you're low, is pretty good.

But what really bothers me a bit is that you can't save during runs, because it actually drags a bit when you want to clear and explore all areas in one biome.

Here is a good summary about what is permanent and how later skips etc. work. But warning because of mild spoilers about level mechanics (no story spoilers or other relevant things): https://www.powerpyx.com/returnal-permanent-unlocks-explained/

Last edited:

Pantz

Main complaint so far is the lack of Save & Quit. Game itself says to use system's rest mode. Like, what? Not a fan of PS5 rest mode because the orange lights stay on. Also, what if you wanted to play something else for a bit?

Top Bottom