• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

kyliethicc

2 of these guys have been playing Returnal. They preview/review it for around 25 mins.

One of the guys says he became addicted to playing it. Both praise it.

From like 5 to 30 mins in the video:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It will reset to midnight when it hits 00:00:00. Sorry for the breaking news but you won’t be able to play it before launch date.

Unless miracles?

Had the same thing with cyberpunk. Once it reached the end it just stared a new countdown with the actual time. So don´t get your hope up :D
Jim Ryan better be drawing up his resignation letter as we speak if that happens. This would never have happened under House.
hugh laurie good point GIF

nowhat

Seems that atleast the physical version's pre order numbers are pretty good. But this store's price for Returnal is 50 €, so that might have something to do with it.
I considered the physical option as well, but a) you may not get it at release, b) you would get it tomorrow instead of midnight, and c) tomorrow is "vappu" which is both crippled by the pandemic and I hate forced carnivals anyway.

So instead I went digital - I can support Housemarque and get drunk just on my own. Under eight hours and counting, just on my way to pick up some single malt.

HotPocket69

Banned
Boy I sure do love to still see the pissing and moaning about the $70 price tag 😂

I also love having enough disposable income where its a non issue for me 😎

Stick to RentPass, being a chisler with your PC or get a better paying job you losers 🥳

DonJorginho

Banned
For everyone who wanted to know how saves worked and if you have to do a full run on Returnal! SPOILERS AHEAD!

• There are 6 Worlds (Biomes) & 5 Bosses in total & 3 Acts in total. Act 1 = Biome 1-3 / Act 2 = Biome 4-5 / Act 3 = Endgame Free Roam.
  • There are 2 checkpoints during the story. One after act 1 (after 3rd boss), one after act 2 (after 5th boss). There are no checkpoints in between. The game is very punishing. If you die, you respawn at the start of the act. The game works similar to Wolfenstein 2 “Mein Leben” difficulty. If you die you lose your progress and respawn with practically nothing. You lose all your health upgrades, all your weapons, all your weapon proficiency, all your inventory etc. There’s also no character levelling system in the game, no way to permanently boost your stats between deaths.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I am slightly disappointed with the performance of this game. The framerate can drop in biome 2 or in final biomes when there's a lot of fighting going on. I wish there were different modes to choose from and to prioritize super stable framerate over better graphics. Or maybe the first post release patch will improve things, we'll see.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
I am slightly disappointed with the performance of this game. The framerate can drop in biome 2 or in final biomes when there's a lot of fighting going on. I wish there were different modes to choose from and to prioritize super stable framerate over better graphics. Or maybe the first post release patch will improve things, we'll see.

Yeah, the update is 15gb, so I'd like to think it could stabilize performance.

kyliethicc

Reviews are positive, game looks cool. And lots of to do. Reviewers have played it for over 20-25 hours and still have more extra stuff to do.

Good job Housemarque.

DonJorginho

Banned
Reviews are positive, game looks cool. And lots of to do. Reviewers have played it for over 20-25 hours and still have more extra stuff to do.

Good job Housemarque.
I have never liked a Housemarque game, as Arcade games just aren't my thing, but this is likely to be the game that makes me realise just how special this studio is.

I can't wait!

FrankWza

I have never liked a Housemarque game, as Arcade games just aren't my thing, but this is likely to be the game that makes me realise just how special this studio is.

I can't wait!
Kinda same.
Nothing wrong with this outlook. I think a lot of people feel the same. Kudos to Sony for seeing that and putting it in a pretty package and giving it the AAA treatment so that it would have broader appeal. And also for making it a PS5 exclusive so it could take advantage of a 6 month old system and give another new game to further cement everyone’s decision to jump on board to new gen. Good thing they take risks. They did something similar when they brought DeS to PS3 and we know how that turned out.

kyliethicc

I can't wait!

Kinda same.

A lot of people say they don't like "boring" cinematic story heavy games like TLOU RDR2 GOW etc, or just "boring" little indie games with very little gameplay. "Walking sims."

A lot of people say they want new IPs and more experimentation, not just endless AAA sequels from the same big name devs. They want next gen games.

A lot of people say they want fun action gameplay first and foremost. Speed, mechanics, good controls. replayability, boss fights, etc.

Housemarque delivered. Time for people to back up their talk.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
A lot of people say they don't like "boring" cinematic story heavy games like TLOU RDR2 GOW etc, or just "boring" little indie games with very little gameplay. "Walking sims."

A lot of people say they want new IPs and more experimentation, not just endless AAA sequels from the same big name devs. They want next gen games.

A lot of people say they want fun action gameplay first and foremost. Speed, mechanics, good controls. replayability, boss fights, etc.

I dont know why did you wrote that considering that i like every type of game, from slow and cinematic to fast paced but i'm waiting for my copy to arrive tomorrow from amazon so i guess that i'm backing up the words that i never said :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Nothing wrong with this outlook. I think a lot of people feel the same. Kudos to Sony for seeing that and putting it in a pretty package and giving it the AAA treatment so that it would have broader appeal. And also for making it a PS5 exclusive so it could take advantage of a 6 month old system and give another new game to further cement everyone’s decision to jump on board to new gen. Good thing they take risks. They did something similar when they brought DeS to PS3 and we know how that turned out.
It's not about graphics or production values, i just never liked shmups (or how the hell is housemarque favourite genre called) And not really a fan of bullet hell neither (for example i like neon abyss but i dislike gungeon)

Now they made a tps roguelite with an intriguing scenario\possibly interesting story so i was far more interested since day one.

I play a fuckload of indie games so i never undervalue games just because they are not triple A, it was never my problem with past housemarque games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
For everyone who wanted to know how saves worked and if you have to do a full run on Returnal! SPOILERS AHEAD!

• There are 6 Worlds (Biomes) & 5 Bosses in total & 3 Acts in total. Act 1 = Biome 1-3 / Act 2 = Biome 4-5 / Act 3 = Endgame Free Roam.
  • There are 2 checkpoints during the story. One after act 1 (after 3rd boss), one after act 2 (after 5th boss). There are no checkpoints in between. The game is very punishing. If you die, you respawn at the start of the act. The game works similar to Wolfenstein 2 “Mein Leben” difficulty. If you die you lose your progress and respawn with practically nothing. You lose all your health upgrades, all your weapons, all your weapon proficiency, all your inventory etc. There’s also no character levelling system in the game, no way to permanently boost your stats between deaths.
I don't like some of the info in that spoiler.

Weak progression between runs is huge if true (if you care aboit robust progression of course).

Some other reviews talked about that but some other doesn't mention it, to cite x-files, the truth is out there.

P.s. sorry for the 3 post, mods.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned

I totally agree, I am all for innovation and fresh ideas being put into the hands of fans of this industry.

I love all genres of games, but for some reason Housemarque games felt too arcadey for me to enjoy, maybe it's because I didn't grow up as an arcade kid, I was a Nintendo guy who would play his Pokémon's and Zelda's before moving onto the early days of Half Life 2 and COD etc. but Arcade as a genre never gripped me fully, although I still do appreciate the genre fully for what it is and what it's done for many people around the globe.

Returnal feels like everything I love in games all put into one consumable product; A gripping narrative, diverse locales, a true challenge, snappy controls, enemy variety, great combat/gunplay, a cinematic edge to it all, and all with a atmosphere that I adore.

Even though I have never loved a Housemarque game before, I am more than open to giving this a try, as someone who originally blasted the reveal and mocked the pricetag, I implore others who were once as naïve as me to give this game a chance, as it truly seems to deserve it. I just can't wait to press start and dive into Atropos myself!

I didn’t know what a rogue like was - now after researching I don’t know if this is the game for me :/ don’t really like the idea of repeatedly going through procedurally generated areas over and over. I wish they would release a demo or something - may pick up when it drops down to $40 or below

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I didn’t know what a rogue like was - now after researching I don’t know if this is the game for me :/ don’t really like the idea of repeatedly going through procedurally generated areas over and over. I wish they would release a demo or something - may pick up when it drops down to $40 or below
If the core gameplay is fun and addictive, which seems to be the case here, than it is quite a lot of fun.

If the core gameplay is fun and addictive, which seems to be the case here, than it is quite a lot of fun.
Yeah I mean the game seems fun I just don’t like the idea of super long play sessions. Maybe I’d feel different after playing but I struggled with demon souls and Bloodborne for the same reason - the amount of time needed to play to progress I eventually always give up. I’d love to at least try it out but I can wait

Now let's see how nobody will buy it lol

saintjules

Gold Member
Which country are you in? You can buy this in store today?

I'm in New York USA.

I was just at the store. I asked them about how they release stuff early. They said they ask their distributor if they're allowed to release games early as they get delivered and they're usually 'pushed' to sell immediately once it's in their system. Sometimes they sell two days early, but most of the time a day before.

I left the price tag on. No FUD at $70 :messenger_savoring:

yYrzcnP.jpg

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I hope Returnal at least gets a quick trailer to open the State of Play today.

It'd be a missed opportunity to remind people its launching.

saintjules

Gold Member
I remember ethomaz ethomaz saying it takes under a minute to install from disc on the PS5 with a PS5 game. Not the case with Returnal at least.

This is after 1 minute

6AWHLg3.jpg

rubhen925

Hey guys, I'm back again, this time with Returnal. My physical copy came in early. Sony said they ran out of codes lol. Had to take matters into my own hands. But yea, the game is quite literally particle effects the game. You'll understand what I mean when you play it. Couple things to note:

1) The game does indeed run at 4K 60FPS. It's great for the most part except for first person view when inside the house sections, and also when tons of projectiles and enemies appear. You can get some drops. I even had a stutter on stream today
2) Loading is less than 1-2 seconds. Pretty fantastic on that
3) Game doesn't have an option to turn of Ray Tracing. I checked, it wasn't in the settings.
4) HDR settings not available to customize the game visuals. You'll have to setup HDR settings through PS5 video and screen settings.
5) I suggest taking of motion blur as i got nausea during fast fight moments.
6) Once you beat an area/boss, and move to another region, if you die there are quick shortcuts to get to those new regions without having to go through the first area all over again. New abilities and upgrades allow this when traversing.
7) Other than that, not much else to say. Enjoy the game as it's one of the best rogue lites I can recommend.

Let me know what your impressions are if you get the chance to play it :)

Also HDR is still processing on Youtube. it's taking forever.....sorry

Cheers

Top Bottom