• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Fever |OT| "Wubadubaduba is that true?"

tim.mbp

As far as I could tell I got the last copy in Burbank today, if not the greater LA area. Best Buys from here to Santa Barbara were sold out and backordered, as were all the Targets around me, Frys, GameStop only ordered enough to fill preorders because they're little shits, and Amazon is backordered too. But the Target in Empire Center had ONE left and it is MINE. I can't wait to play it tomorrow before work :D :D

Not anymore. Ordered mine from Amazon this morning. :)

On remix 2, why is the game saying that I'm messing up the second tambourine bit no matter what I do? Is the timing different than the first bit? I just can't see what I'm doing wrong. Apparently I can't get a superb on that level until I can somehow convince the game that my timing isn't off on that part, since I beat it without messing up at any other part and still only got "OK".

EDIT Wait, do you have to do the A + B thing for that one? I'm dumb

Oh crap, that's why I was messing up! I was trying to figure out how I kept doing that part wrong...

So there's a rhythm toy called "police call", and if anyone finds out how it works, I'm interested.

So far:

If you get far enough in the endless mini-games, a secret word will show up. If you put one of those words into the police phone, it rings (as well as your Wiimote) and then plays what sounds like part of another mini-game when you answer. I assume there's an unlockable game eventually or something.

TimeKillr

Love Rap is teeeeeeeeerrible. :(

Yeah.

I don't know if it's because it's screwed due to the translation or what, but the timing on these things is ridiculous. It's like even the training part of it is impossibly hard because the timing changes between each hit.

So far, there's 3 games I can't stand at *all*:

Love Rap
Catch of the Day (horrible, horrible. without cues it's much too difficult, and the beat timing seems off...)
Shrimp Shuffle (1-2-3 works easy. 3-2-1, with a delayed 1 for no reason? Ugh. I have trouble getting past the training!)

All the other games are easy, though. Monkey Watch is so simple, I'm surprised people have a problem with it. How can you even pass shit like Shrimp Shuffle if you can't get through Monkey Watch?

My guess is that Monkey Watch is the first one that introduces you to half-beats, but otherwise it's basically just keeping a beat, which really isn't that hard.

flowsnake

I didn't get Monkey Clock at all at first, but once I got into it I liked it. Same thing happened with Lockstep in the DS game.

GWX

Yeah.

I don't know if it's because it's screwed due to the translation or what, but the timing on these things is ridiculous. It's like even the training part of it is impossibly hard because the timing changes between each hit.

Love Rap
Catch of the Day (horrible, horrible. without cues it's much too difficult, and the beat timing seems off...)
Shrimp Shuffle (1-2-3 works easy. 3-2-1, with a delayed 1 for no reason? Ugh. I have trouble getting past the training!)

All the other games are easy, though. Monkey Watch is so simple, I'm surprised people have a problem with it. How can you even pass shit like Shrimp Shuffle if you can't get through Monkey Watch?

My guess is that Monkey Watch is the first one that introduces you to half-beats, but otherwise it's basically just keeping a beat, which really isn't that hard.

I finally "got" Love Rap. Just got "superb" in the first and the second one. It's hard, and *fo' sho'* still fucks up my game, but it's doable. It's more about reflex than rhythm, and that's why I don't like it much.

Catch of the Day is just fucked up, I hate it.

Shirmp Shuffle is hard (specially the damned pause that screws up the rhythm), but it's easier than the goddamned fish one.

Yeah.

The worst part is that it doesn't even sound right when you are playing it correctly. It just sounds like someone's spamming the voice clips over and over.

Yeah.

Love Rap

I don't think the timing is really "off" on any of the games, different people just have trouble with different things. Love Rap was weird but I mostly got the hang of it. Catch Of The Day was pretty easy to me with some practice, the Pausegill and Triple-whatever fish timings are right on the downbeat and upbeat, respectively.

Shrimp Shuffle is KILLING me right now, I can't even get through practice. But again, I doubt there's something actually wrong, I'm just bad at it. There is something like a sixteenth-beat delay in it that is really difficult, but I'm sure it's deliberate.

The Wii being upscaled on HDTVs is also going to mess with everyone's timing. It has the most input lag of all the modern consoles.

Yeah, I should note that I'm playing on an SDTV.

Mzo

The Wii being upscaled on HDTVs is also going to mess with everyone's timing. It has the most input lag of all the modern consoles.

TimeKillr

I don't think the timing is really "off" on any of the games, different people just have trouble with different things. Love Rap was weird but I mostly got the hang of it. Catch Of The Day was pretty easy to me with some practice, the Pausegill and Triple-whatever fish timings are right on the downbeat and upbeat, respectively.

Shrimp Shuffle is KILLING me right now, I can't even get through practice. But again, I doubt there's something actually wrong, I'm just bad at it. There is something like a sixteenth-beat delay in it that is really difficult, but I'm sure it's deliberate.

Yeah, I should note that I'm playing on an SDTV.

I did eventually get the hang of Catch of the Day. I get the first and third fish 100% and the Pausegill at about 80%, which isn't bad.

But god damn Shrimp Shuffle. I'm stuck at training too, specifically, the part in the training where you stop and they take a pose. I can get to the pose, but getting out of the pose, I *always* mess up on the very last beat. I don't know what the hell is up with it :(

Jeff-DSA

I drove around looking for it yesterday and struck out. I should have preordered on Amazon.

I showed my 2-year old son the wrestler interview and he was cracking up at the "Wubadubazubaisthattrue?" line. I'd say it to him and he'd just bust up laughing the rest of the night.

My wife has made it my personal mission to find the game now.

mollipen

Anything feel different about this game compared to its predecessors? I know it's still early, but I'm really wanting to hear more from this little thread.

There's two things that really stand out for me.

First is that the games in this one just don't feel as unique and/or creative as the previous two Rhythm Heavens did. I feel like there's a LOT of "I'm in a line with four people/things doing something" in this one. And, just, in other stuff as well... I don't know. Rhythm games are a really finicky genre, where some games will click with you and then other games from the exact same franchise might not.

The other thing is that while I absolutely love the graphical style for the game, everything now feels... well, the same. Everything has the exact same visual style. One of my favorite parts of the original Rhythm Tengoku was that it almost felt like a lot of different little bits pieced together into one whole game. Rhythm Heaven DS brought in a more consistent style, but you still had there more "primitive" pixel-y graphics that had some variation between the different games. Here, everything just looks exactly the same. Again, beautiful, but the same.

And then you can get into smaller personal preference, like I far, far prefer the DS "tap or slide" to "A or A+B". Control was still very, very simple, yet that difference between tap and slide felt huge. (But thank god there was no motion control BS added to the game.)

For me, it's like, Rhythm Heaven is one of my favorite Nintendo games (but, er... one of the only Nintendo games I like), and I think the series is very, very good. So even a bad Rhythm Heaven game is better than a lot of other games. This Wii version certainly isn't bad, but it's easily my least favorite in the series at this point. It's almost as if, the more bigger and better-produced the game has gotten, the more it has lost some of that original charm that made it so special.

I saw this get sold out yesterday at target, granted they only got 2. I got one then the guy behind me got the last. I'm at love rap and it doesn't seem that bad...

Kokonoe

Banned
Just picked up this game, and i'm at Remix 3 currently. This game is pretty dang challenging at times, but I am enjoying myself a lot though. I really like the art style, the creativity with each level, and the music is great too.

HylianTom

Banned
Does anyone know how to unlock
Night Walk
? Soooo looking forward to that one.

Thus far, I'm at least Superb medalled through the first four series (with a handful of Perfects in there). No lag issues to report, and the Wii's audio input goes into the DLP TV and the TV's audio is output into the surround sound system.

linko9

Man, what is up with the tapdancing? Some of those "tap tap taps" are on completely different timings... not hard once you memorize it, but it's really weird. Can't figure out the timing on this damn shrimp dancing :(

edit: shrimp vanquished. Cheer Readers is awesome!

zroid

Banned
Originally, my problem with Monkey Watch was the fact that you only press A on every other beat. I found it difficult to follow the rhythm consistently in between presses without tapping my foot or something. But ironically foot-tapping led me to accidentally press A on the wrong beats because of my inability to keep the two actions from overlapping in my head.

For a while I tried a strategy of alternately pressing A and tapping the controller beside the A button with my thumb... this yielded mixed results.

After repeatedly failing and getting OK for a while, you can pretty much guess what happened. Took a break to watch some TV for an hour or two, came back to it and nailed it on my first try. Only outright missed 1 slap, with just a couple half-misses.

Typical!

They have this at my work (Kmart). Considered picking it up, but I have a ton of other games I still haven't beaten. What's the likelihood of this becoming rare? It seems like people are having trouble finding it right now. I figure it won't go on any more of a sale since it's Nintendo and all.

Haunted

Serious question: how did it not occur to anyone during development that people might want a quick retry button? Or pressing a button during the startup of the logo to skip the training?

Nintendo is so behind on UI/UX stuff. :/

zroid

Banned
Serious question: how did it not occur to anyone during development that people might want a quick retry button?
Nintendo is so behind on UI/UX stuff. :/

I can tell you this has been an "issue" in the series since the beginning, to no small outcry. And I can also almost guarantee that it was a conscious decision to leave it out. The thinking behind it is to discourage players from restarting in the middle of a game, and instead just play through for the fun of it and try to improve. It's a very Nintendo way of going about it.

You're gonna chill out and just have fun, even if we have to force you to.

I hate it.

I "get" love rap, the shrimps and even the fishing game (by counting in my head), but a "bahbah bah bah" from far away is almost always lost.

Yeah, I'm well on my way to Superb-ing all the regular mini-games but I had to skip that. The visuals and music are AWESOME but I get completely screwed up for the far-away volleys.

zroid

Banned
I love Air Rally, but goddamn am I bad at it. Just like the rest of you folks, when the dude goes deep I just lose it. It kind of helps to half look away from the screen a bit so I don't get too distracted by the visuals, but the ba-bum bum bum parts get me unless I'm focused so it's lose-lose for me. :(

Rarutos

Game's tons of fun as expected! Cheer Readers and Air Rally are great even if a bit difficult! Also, Love Rap isn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying in my opinion! I love this game so much. <3

GooeyHeat

Air Rally? Easy peasy.
Love Rap? Not too bad.
Catch of the Day? Kind of odd, but I got it.
Shrimp Shuffle? Took some tries, but it's good.
MOTHERFUCKING DONK-DONK? THAT GAME IS THE FUCKING DEVIL.

Adam J.

Canceled my Amazon order and found a sealed copy at GameStop (shudder).

Really loving it so far and feels like it may be the best in the series yet. Anyone know if the drumset from the original GBA game is in Fever? I sunk countless hours into that.

totowhoa

Banned
Loving the game, just got it today. Currently on remix 4, but I had to skip remix 3. The 1-2's for the punching game fuck me up every time coming out of the air rally round. No problems with any of the other games so far, but a few of them will definitely take a lot of practice to get perfect.

Haven't had any trouble due to input lag yet but I also don't usually play games where that is usually a big factor so I may just not be noticing it yet. Does it differ between TVs? I'm on a panny plasma viera.

edit: anybody know how much room for error there are on the remixes? i only played a friend's copy of the DS one a little bit, so I'm not too familiar with the series. They're way rough though. Sometimes I feel like I'd be just shy of a superb rating if it was a normal round, but in the remixes it just has me try again. Remix 1 and 2 weren't bad after a few tries, remix 3 is still killing me and 4 wasn't too bad either. Either way, they're definitely harder

Top Bottom