• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Prodigal

Banned
Is there any sort of scroll of resurrection/welcome back program thing for people that haven't played in a while? Kinda feel like hopping back in for a bit.

Rokal

Nothing really like a Scroll of Resurrection yet, no. You can jump on your old account and play/create characters up to level 20 without needing a sub.

When I signed into my Trion account a few days ago to check the game out after not playing for a few months, the website made me update my password but gave me 3 days of free time for doing so. If you haven't played in a while, you might be in the same boat.

I ended up doing the yearly sub for $99 after playing for those 3 days. Playing SWTOR really made me appreciate how well-crafted Rift really is. The UI and the feature-set is miles ahead of any other MMO out there. Trion is also still pumping out new content at a faster pace than any of the competition, and it looks like they're continue to do so for the rest of the year.

I still think it's the best MMO on the market at the moment.

The free mobile app is pretty cool too, if you've got an Android or iPhone. It's nice to get perks like that and free server transfers without being fleeced like Blizzard does with their mobile guild chat and transfer services.

frequency

SWTOR was what made me come back to Rift too.

But I haven't played in a while. I got distracted by other games. I fully intend to play again when things settle down though (probably in the summer).

Mechanics-wise, I agree it is the best MMO of its type. But I really wish the world was bigger.

The changing passwords thing was because they got hacked some time back...
Luckily, I think I made out okay. And I love that their password length is now 256 characters (I use a password manager/generator). That's the most secure on any website ever. Other sites go on and on about security but only let you have a password of length 8-16.

Ken

Oh man I don't remember my username/PW for this game. Hmm.

What server/faction are you mainly on, frequency? I'll probably just reroll from wherever I was.

frequency

Oh man I don't remember my username/PW for this game. Hmm.

That's why you should use a password manager! I don't actually know any of my passwords. And it saves all my user names too. So I don't have to remember anything ever.

What server/faction are you mainly on, frequency? I'll probably just reroll from wherever I was.

I haven't played much since the last time I listed my characters. FFXIII-2 and a bunch of other games are taking up all my time. And the Vita NA launch and stuff.

I've still got a bunch but I think I favour my Greybriar Guardian characters.
I played a bit on Briarcliff as Defiant, but PvP server is kind of annoying.

Prodigal

Banned
That's why you should use a password manager! I don't actually know any of my passwords. And it saves all my user names too. So I don't have to remember anything ever.

I haven't played much since the last time I listed my characters. FFXIII-2 and a bunch of other games are taking up all my time. And the Vita NA launch and stuff.

Any recommendations for a good password manager?

frequency

Any recommendations for a good password manager?

I use KeePass. I like it more than the alternatives because it's a completely offline solution. All my usernames and passwords are stored locally in an encrypted database. I back it up on my DropBox account and a USB stick.

Any of them are good though. I just don't want my password database tied to a website. In this case, even if KeePass dies, I still have the program and the database locally so it'll never be lost. I never have to worry since everywhere I registered to has a completely unique randomly generated password. And it's really convenient to never have to remember or type out my passwords again.

Ken

Yeah, I should use a PW manager. Don't even remember by secret question answers. @_@

Guess I'll make a new account, whenever I eventually come back to try playing.

Prodigal

Banned
Any of you guys excited for the 1.8 patch? Not sure when it's coming out but it's nice to see them continually pumping content into the game. Been playing with 3 friends lately, still having a good time. Apparently they're adding some sort of leaderboard mechanic, does that have to do with PvP?

Azzurri

There have been rumors of a new expansion or content patch coming up so I might start up again when that happens. When they added the new Ember Isle zone it was a ton of content and it was awesome.

If you start playing I'd suggest getting on one of the more populated servers like Wolfsbane.

I downloaded the free trial and chose a PvP populated server. So far for the first 10 or so levels the game is actually pretty fun, I love how the souls work.

eclipze

An update from someone who's been playing this game since launch:

Currently 4/8 in Infernal Dawn (The latest Tier 3 Raid) on my Mage with a 50 Rogue for all the crafting needs for my main and PVP when i want to be OP ;).

The game is still fresh for me, since I don't play it religiously like some people tend to do with MMO's. I log in on Raid nights and a couple other days to do random things such as artifact hunt, get achievements, run daily expert dungeons or help out other guilds in lower tier raids/dungeons/slivers. I also am a Max rank PVP and am pretty excited about 1.9 and the new Conquest feature. It's basically a persistent RvR with 3 Factions (not related to defiant/guardian) and all kinds of capture points, NPC's, crafting incentives and just good old pure open world PVP fun.

Overall, I can say I've been impressed on each update that has occurred, because each one has included player driven enhancements to make the gaming experience better. Whether its the Merc system, LFG, PA Leveling, class balancing, they have done an amazing job listening to the player base and making the updates focused on us.

On a sidenote, i do have a lowbie 29 cleric if anyone needs any help, and when 1.9 hits, I can mentor my main down to your level to help with questing, dungeons, zone events, rifts or whatever you need. Hit me up: Eclipze <The Grubs> @ Deepwood

Looks like a friend of mine missed out on the Raptr Free RIFT game giveaway, so I was just wondering if anyone here got a spare one that they don't need.

oktarb

Just resubbed due to Guild Wars 2 beta withdrawal.

Why did I leave this game - its damn good. I'm only level 20 but its polished, not filled with amine bunny girls in lingerie (yes I'm looking at you Tera) and has a ton on dynamic content.

oktarb

People still play this game? I thought it emptied out a long time ago.

I saw about 15 servers with 4 marked high population and the rest split between medium and low or Trial servers.

I logged on after months and months of an absence and easily found groups and people around and received two guild invites.

With the next expansion announced I would expect a good amount to people to recheck it out like I did. For me it looks to be the MMO to play until GW2 comes out.

Dunlop

Just reinstalled the client and it gives me a free 3 days to play. I no longer have a clue how to play my lvl 50 warrior and was going to make a new toon.

This is only to pass the time until GW2 comes, how does the free level 1-20 work, is it a different client?

I might resub for 2 months just to reward this company that constantly is updating the game but I want to see the population on my server since I left. I just can't give Bioware any more money for the generic SWTOR

Just reinstalled the client and it gives me a free 3 days to play. I no longer have a clue how to play my lvl 50 warrior and was going to make a new toon.

This is only to pass the time until GW2 comes, how does the free level 1-20 work, is it a different client?

I might resub for 2 months just to reward this company that constantly is updating the game but I want to see the population on my server since I left. I just can't give Bioware any more money for the generic SWTOR

It's the same client, you just log into your account and it'll tell you that you can't access your level 20+ characters, either subscribe or create a new character.

RIFT is pretty fun, and I applaud Trion for constantly updating their game, but I'm just not into the whole grind-grind-grind for better loot and repeat.

Kilrathi

I wish I could play this game, as it is blocked at my college network, as the firewall blocks the download after you log into the game. I also have work study at the IT department we spent 2 weeks trying to figure out what was going on, as the IT department head plays the game too.

Tess3ract

Banned
A new expansion pack just came out 3 days ago, along with a new mount.

Mount is $15 and if you spend $120 you get the expansion for free and a year sub (along with all the various rewards and titles you get)

acksman

Decided to bite on their year long subscription and you get the expansion free. Even with GW2 coming out it will be nice to get my rogue back out. Logged in last night and had totally forgot how to even play him. Its almost refreshing to the amount of people on a server after SWTOR.

Gamble

I decided to renew my sub and get back on after falling for the seduction of the new soul reveal, SWTOR left a bad taste in my mouth and WoW got redundant after a while so between this/GW2/D3 I will be satisfied for a while....though I will admit playing a Panda is intriguing to me....

percephone

Neo Member
Just started this game, i tried it before and sort of enjoyed it but was heavily invested into WoW Raiding then. Hopefully, i'll remember how to play it.

Audioboxer

So I can get the SE of Rift for £7 (contains 40 days playtime), but it's disheartening to see soo little activity on GAF for it. It looks quite good to me.

Guild Wars 2 just isn't doing it for me, and I don't really want to return to WoW (at least not until they fix character models). Spoiled by 'prettier' MMOs now haha.

I'm about to start the trial of The Secret World, but RIFT has my attention at such a low price entry.

Any opinions?

Dunlop

Rift is a great game, with devs that constantly update and try to keep their subs. It is unfortunate that the lore is not too interesting.

I'm in the same boat as you, GW2 was my most anticipated MMO in a long time and it turned into the MMO where I lost interest the quickest.

Not ready to jump back into Rift (just picked up BL2) but I will definately recommend the game

Audioboxer

Rift is a great game, with devs that constantly update and try to keep their subs. It is unfortunate that the lore is not too interesting.

I'm in the same boat as you, GW2 was my most anticipated MMO in a long time and it turned into the MMO where I lost interest the quickest.

Not ready to jump back into Rift (just picked up BL2) but I will definately recommend the game

Is it fairly solo friendly? I don't know anyone who plays. I do know they have a dungeon finder which is good.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Aud&#943;oboxer;43118647 said:
Is it fairly solo friendly? I don't know anyone who plays. I do know they have a dungeon finder which is good.
Yeah it's solo friendly, lots of quests. Even at the level cap there is a good amount of stuff to do on your own, including a whole zone for level cap players called Ember Isle. The dungeon finder tool is great too, it let me level the whole way as a healer without bothering with a DPS spec.

Audioboxer

The server screen populations look so empty :'(

See when you choose one of the 4 classes (warrior/mage/cleric/rogue) it lets you then choose a sub-class, can that be changed in-game or is it permanent?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Aud&#943;oboxer;43152596 said:
The server screen populations look so empty :'(

See when you choose one of the 4 classes (warrior/mage/cleric/rogue) it lets you then choose a sub-class, can that be changed in-game or is it permanent?

Yeah that can be changed. That's sort of just a "spec" you're choosing out of the gate to get you started quicker on your preferred style of play.

The populations will probably increase next month when the expansion comes out.

Friends talked me into coming to WoW for mop, but that didn't last long so I was curious what Trion was up to. Loaded up Rift, played for a few hours and then resubscribed (love you can do the 1-20 for free).
Couple changes I really appreciate:

- Talent Tree Guides: Rift was initially overwhelming with all the talent trees/specs, its hard to get your footing. These pre-built specs are a good way to learn the game before you start fine tuning your character. They tell you how to assign your points and give descriptions on how the spec is designed to work.

- Instant Adventures: It's like they took their rift public group concept, merged it with WoW's LFG tool and covered it in Guild Wars 2's questing. Queue up, get placed into a raid group, quest objectives appear on map. Everyone contributes (no fighting for spawns), you get timers for bonus missions (just like the Rifts) and constant rewards for completing phases.

I signed on to Steam yesterday and it had to convert the game to a new format. After it was done it had to re-download the 7GB client again :(

The pre-expansion world event going on now is pretty awesome. Keep doing instant adventure missions during the capital city invasion and you get mad xp.

I've gone from 43-47 in 2 days.

Anyone on deepwood around level 30~ want to play? Resubbing now

I'll probably be grinding to 60 since I'm going to be out for a week, but I can help you run a few dungeons (Can mentor down to your level). Character's name is Society.

In the meantime, I really recommend doing Instant Adventures, can level up pretty fast using that.

chiablo

I just grabbed Storm Legion and am going to subscribe. If someone wants to send me an Ascend-a-Friend, I'd appreciate it.

PM me.

Be sure to look into a soloing spec before entering into the new content. The mobs there have lots of hps and hit pretty hard. The new gear from quests are a huge step up for me, but even with that it can get pretty rough.

Top Bottom