• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

bill0527

I just got an email that this is free 2 play starting today July 13-July 19.

I think I'll give it another shot.

My complaint with it when it launched is that it ran like ass on my computer. I've since built a much beefier rig that will hopefully eat it alive.

Eric WK

bill0527 said:
I just got an email that this is free 2 play starting today July 13-July 19.

I think I'll give it another shot.

My complaint with it when it launched is that it ran like ass on my computer. I've since built a much beefier rig that will hopefully eat it alive.

It's not going to "eat it alive," that's for sure.

CAW

I just joined Briarcliff. Created a Defiant warrior named Threll. If there's a GAF guild, toss me a vite! :)

Enjoying the game so far. It runs great, but I have to manually run my 4890's fan speed at 80% to keep it between 80-90c. This game likes to run the card HOT!

Having a blast so far. Bought the steam digital deluxe version for $14.99. What a deal! Been wanting to play this game for awhile so the sale timing was perfect.

edit: I'm also leveling a Dwarf Rogue (ranged) named Shortbeard. Same server. I'll probably be playing this character first/more often.

g23

European pre-madonna
Is there a GAF guild for this game? I'm looking into getting into another MMO after playing AoC unchained for a bit. How does this game differ from AoC?

Ricker

g23 said:
Is there a GAF guild for this game? I'm looking into getting into another MMO after playing AoC unchained for a bit. How does this game differ from AoC?

I haven`t played much in the last month...there was a GAF guild but it was mysteriously abandonned overnight I think(on the US servers at least)so no,no GAF guild for now.

Infinity

Bought the CE of Rift for $17.99 @ Amazon yesterday. Getting the 8GB thumb drive + the other extras is a pretty good deal IMO. I played Rift by invitation from a friend and liked it.

LogicStep

So I'm going to try out the trial, thinking of a warrior. How are they for tanking and dps? They seem pretty hardy from some videos I've seen.

Brashnir

zazrx said:
So I'm going to try out the trial, thinking of a warrior. How are they for tanking and dps? They seem pretty hardy from some videos I've seen.

It's pretty easy to build a solid tank or DPS warrior, and switch between the two as desired. Most DPS builds are relatively fragile, and tank specs are obviously beefy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So they're giving out trial CDs and manuals at GenCon this year. I'll probably install it and see for myself, but I'm curious what GAF feels about this game.

Infinity

Rift is a good game, relatively bug free from what I can tell, and appears to have a good playing community. It doesn't pretend to be different from WoW, and uses those mechanics extensively in play.

But to me, it doesn't have the staying power to hold my interest long-term. This is from a Day 1 WoW player, so my opinion should be taken lightly. Rift has a lot of appeal and should be considered a solid competitor. How it holds up to ToR remains to be seen, but with a different theme, a decently dynamic world, and some interesting new elements, players should find something to hold them over until the next big thing arrives for them.

ultron87

The_Technomancer said:
So they're giving out trial CDs and manuals at GenCon this year. I'll probably install it and see for myself, but I'm curious what GAF feels about this game.

Just installed my copy from Gen Con. It's actually not a trial, it's the full game including the free 30 days.

You can stretch it a little farther if you grab a 7-day trial first.

Haven't made a character yet, but I will tonight.

I always enjoyed starting a new MMO, so this should be fun.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Game pretty sweet, got a free copy from The Int3rsect (thanks for the code again), haven't been able to stop playing for days.

Love the rift stuff, keep the game fun even when soloing.

Ken

Warnen said:
Game pretty sweet, got a free copy from The Int3rsect (thanks for the code again), haven't been able to stop playing for days.

Love the rift stuff, keep the game fun even when soloing.

When you went to use the code, did it ask you to choose a subscription?

Warnen

Yep, put it in but at the end it says you have 30 days of game time already. Just canceled the my sub after that (upgraded to CE for the mount for $5 as well). Don't like having an active sub with online games, wanna make sure I still want to play every month and I don't forget to cancel.

Warnen

Wolfwood0 said:
How do you get a free copy?

The Int3rsect got some free code at PAX, posted in haul thread and gave them away. Dunno if he has any left. Really nice of him, I would have missed this game, just bought a PC and was waiting for SWTOR.

Dunlop

I hooked up with my Old Warhammer guild on Greybriar - guardian.

If you haven't made a character yet, look me up (dunlop).

I am only about level 11 but am liking the game so far with no real expectations.

I will drop it like a stone when TOR comes out
KuGsj.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned
Dunlop said:
I hooked up with my Old Warhammer guild on Greybriar - guardian.

If you haven't made a character yet, look me up (dunlop).

I am only about level 11 but am liking the game so far with no real expectations.

I will drop it like a stone when TOR comes out
KuGsj.gif

aww it's a PVE server :)

Dunlop

ok, so what exactly is killing this game aside from it not being wow?

I am quite shocked at how much I like Rift, the game seems insanely polished. I totally expected to play it for a few days to validate my $10 steam purchase.

Does the end game blow or something?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dunlop said:

I am quite shocked at how much I like Rift, the game seems insanely polished. I totally expected to play it for a few days to validate my $10 steam purchase.

It's extremely competent, but it's also extremely similar to WoW, while not being WoW. WoW has the huge advantage of being first with an established player base. People who play WoW aren't looking to jump ship for something that's only a bit different but not quite as good. People who don't play WoW probably don't play it for a reason and aren't looking to play something that is so similar. Amongst those who don't play WoW are people who don't like it because of the art style, the direction Blizzard has taken the lore, or for other similar reasons. Those people are probably a big part of the Rift player base.

Boken

Banned
The game was fun to me because it was a new world to explore + being able to make whatever "spec" you wanted to make.

But at the end of the day, it was very... WoW and yeah, I didn't want to leave WoW just to do the same things in another game with less people.

Dunlop said:

What do you mean by "killing the game"?

From what I've read the game is doing fine. It's not selling millions but has kept a steady user base. Lot of people liked it, many people of course felt like it was just more of the same. A few months ago they had stated they were at about 600k subs and rising slowly, and not declining as you see with most other new MMOs.

If you are looking for an alternate MMO to play that is not WoW, and ok with playing something that is similar to most other MMOs, RIFT is a good choice.

Dunlop

BattleMonkey said:
What do you mean by "killing the game"?

From what I've read the game is doing fine. It's not selling millions but has kept a steady user base. Lot of people liked it, many people of course felt like it was just more of the same. A few months ago they had stated they were at about 600k subs and rising slowly, and not declining as you see with most other new MMOs.

If you are looking for an alternate MMO to play that is not WoW, and ok with playing something that is similar to most other MMOs, RIFT is a good choice.

Gotcha, was just basing off what people where telling me in game.

I agree about the wow like similarities and the point is valid. Maybe I like it more because I am completely burnt out of WOW ; )

Gvaz

Banned
So does anyone (gaffers) still play this game? I played the beta and it ran like horseshit and it was an alright wow clone.

I started up a free trial and I'm downloading now. Be frands?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I got the game because of the free deal from this thread.

I'm having a great time with it. I like how it feels nice and RPG-y and not trying to dumb things down too far. Nice big skill trees and all. Yet it still has certain conveniences like cross server dungeon LFG (which I've pretty much leveled solely through as a healer). Queue times are fast as a healer too. I'm already level 47. The cap is 50, I can't wait to do the expert difficulty dungeons.

One random thing I really appreciate is that it feels like one big cohesive world and only things that need to be instanced (like dungeons) are instanced. I heard in SWTOR, you can be on the same server and same zone as someone, but if you try to meet up with them they'll be on a separate "instance" of that zone. Stuff like that really irks me and it doesn't exist in Rift. I loved WoW for a good while, but I wanted a change of scenery and Rift gives that to me, with extras like incredible graphics and other stuff.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Up to lvl 22 on my Rogue and enjoying it quite a bit. I expected nothing, I think that helped. One thing I REALLY like is the once a week free transfer to other servers. Moved from a low pop server to a med-high one and the difference was immediately noticeable.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Awesome I got to the level cap, 50. My guildie took me on these things you can do at 50 called "chronicles", they're basically dungeons you can do with 2 people, they have more lore than you'd see in a normal instance, plus they give loot and other novelty drops like mounts.

Another thing I found really interesting is that at the level cap you still get XP for quests and kills. Every 500k XP you earn, you get points to put towards "Planar Attunement". It's a hexagonal grid things you can choose from. It's a mix of options, something that makes run faster or mounted speed faster, simple stat boosts like extra wisdom, etc.

Right now I don't think I'm quite ready to heal expert level dungeons so I'll just stick to the regular level 50 ones for a bit.

etiolate

Banned
I've been playing this for a couple months. The Rift Zone events are easily the highlight of the game. The soul system is pretty good as well, allowing more situational adaptability. I've been 50 for awhile, but have just sort of done a bit of this and that. I liked the PVP at first, but gear-based PVP is a bad idea. I don't know why Trion decided to go this route. They're still hanging on to some old MMO practices despite pushing forward in other areas.

I like having a rogue that can tank, and the teleporting, aoe-ing style of rogue tanking is fun.

Effect

I got an email about 30 days free so I took advantage of it. Not sure why but oh well. I think I've found a combination that has clicked with me to a degree. Pyromancer with Elementalist as my second soul just for the pet. I don't think this is really all that different from what I was trying before with Elementalist as my first soul and primary but perhaps the fire effects make all the difference? The attacks just seem powerful. Similar to how Bright Mages in Warhammer Online just had that powerful feeling. That and I've decided to use swords with this character instead of staffs. It just seems to feel right overall for some reason now. The problem is the third soul which I might just ignore for now and do the soul quest later to get more and then decide. That and I've been reading everything. Said I'd try that before but really trying it now and it helps I was really bored last night when I decided to play and nothing good was on TV at the time and didn't feel like going into the other room to turn on my consoles, charging my Kindle, or getting the 3DS off the cradle. So perhaps more lazy then bored. haha

Anyone else get the email about the free time? I figured this would happen with Star Wars: The Old Republic coming out. I'm surprised I didn't get one from SOE for Everquest 2 or one from Blizzard for WoW though.

spirity

EQ2 has gone free to play, I got an email. Well, parts of it - there's restrictions on the character slots races and classes.

Tess3ract

Banned
No, It was just kind of average and not a wow killer. There's been some patches for stuff recently that were very good ideas but since it's not a wow killer no ones interested

Torraz

What rift that bad?

The first post on this page is 04-26-2011 and there has apparently been 6 patches since Planes of Telara.

No, it was quite good actually. Probably one of the most flawless and bugfree launches to date.

Some common mistakes, like too many servers which made for some ghost towns after the first month ended etc, but overall a very valiant attempt.

TimeKillr

Do people still play this?

I've gotten super tired of TOR for some reason, but I still have an MMO itch to scratch (and I don't feel like going back to WoW). I played Rift when it came out but it didn't stick back then. Maybe now's a better time?

What servers are populated? How does the game run now?

LowerLevel

So far this is still my favorite current MMO. The world Rift events, when in full swing, just are great. But you must be on a decently populated server... Honestly, the moment I get too annoyed or am just done with TOR, I'm back to Rift.

Tess3ract

Banned
Dayblind and Seaside are good ones

Runs better than tor.

Don't play this alone. Get a guild going, get in mumble chat, kill some bros

TimeKillr

Yeah, looking at the shard status there's one "Heavy" server, so it looks like this is where I'll end up going :)

And, huh, I don't see servers called Dayblind or Seaside? Closest would be Seastone (which is PvP, which I despise lol)

**edit** Weird... If I look here - http://www.riftgame.com/en/shardstatus/index.php - there's no mention of these 2 servers.

If I look at the forums, I can at least see Dayblind. What gives?

Top Bottom