• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The best thing is, you can actually pull invincible enemy faction dudes with you and make them clean up. The disadvantage is that you'll have a hard time getting the levelling done.

So last night I hit chapter 2 at like... the 32 hour mark according to Steam. Wow. Of course some of that was spent leaving the game on but most of it wasn't.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
wmat said:
The best thing is, you can actually pull invincible enemy faction dudes with you and make them clean up. The disadvantage is that you'll have a hard time getting the levelling done.

As long as you get the last hit in you get the XP. :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Sinatar said:
As long as you get the last hit in you get the XP. :D
Correct, but you have an extra enemy, so if you're too eager, you're pretty much bound to get one in the face eventually.

So I just did the part on the far west coast for the
nameless graves quest
and
I really want to kill Vasili right now. I mean look at his stupid face. Will it hurt anything for future questing if I do? <.<

HappyBivouac said:
nameless graves quest
and
I really want to kill Vasili right now. I mean look at his stupid face. Will it hurt anything for future questing if I do? <.<
I think you could probably get away with it...?

Ceebs

HappyBivouac said:
So last night I hit chapter 2 at like... the 32 hour mark according to Steam. Wow. Of course some of that was spent leaving the game on but most of it wasn't.
It's a bit deceptive there as the back half of the game is mostly dungeon crawling.

I've always wondered about stuff like that in games like this.

For example if I somehow managed to take on and kill
Inquisitor Mendoza while he's standing outside the big magical gate by himself
what would happen?

Ceebs said:
It's a bit deceptive there as the back half of the game is mostly dungeon crawling.

This is great news to me. As much as I'm a fan of running around talking to people, the game has been seriously lacking in big epic dungeons so far.

Salaadin

HappyBivouac said:

what would happen?

This is great news to me. As much as I'm a fan of running around talking to people, the game has been seriously lacking in big epic dungeons so far.

I assume its like some of the
Arena fights where you just knock them out, they lay there a few seconds, and get up at 75% HP.

Salaadin said:
I assume its like some of the
Arena fights where you just knock them out, they lay there a few seconds, and get up at 75% HP.

Any time that happens if you keep your weapon out and click them once more you'll do a finishing blow that seemingly kills the npc for good.

timkunedo

HappyBivouac said:

what would happen?

IIRC you can't do that. I remember trying :D

Haunted

HappyBivouac said:
The first chapter is disproportionally bigger than the others. Each one is literally shorter than the one before. :p

Zachack

HappyBivouac said:
nameless graves quest
and
Skeletons took care of your spoiler for me. I wasn't even intending for it to happen.

I'm playing as a mage, should I start sinking all my talent points into magic missile? I sank a lot of early-game points into strength and all the secondary skills and life is hard.

How do I attain sword ranks 8-10? I have some learning points and I don't know if I want to just dump them into strength, but I can't figure out where to learn anything beyond rank 7.

Edit: nevermind, found it. It's
Fincher in the Don's temple.

coopolon

I am really enjoying this game so far. Just finished Chapter 1, took about 18 hours. I do really hope that they have more money to polish the rough spots for the sequel.

The lighting so far is freaking gorgeous, albeit a little overwrought. But surprisingly enough, even after several hundred god rays, I'm still not tired of them. The characters are ugly as sin, but it's not that big of a deal when so many other things are pretty. I think overall the game is a little graphically inconsistent, but where it shines, it really shines bright. I'm also pretty surprised by how good the writing is, there's nothing all that inspired about the plot so far but it has enough little quirks that I'm genuinely interested to see where it goes. I particularly like how there aren't really any good guys in this world and everyone has mixed motivations, it makes for a lot more interesting play compared to the Jesus/Hitler paradigm of more mainline WRPGs. A few moments I thought were written very well, like the
oaths
at the end of Chapter 1.

My two biggest complaints are the combat and the conversation system. The combat might be my fault though. I went mage, and so am trying to stick with staffs to stay in character, but boy is it annoying not being able to block when I get surrounded by a pack of wolves. Then I really long for a shield. I try sidestepping/stepping back, and while I'm good enough to do this to avoid counter attacks after one of my combos, I am still unable to read their attacks well enough to dodge when they are initiating the strike. I'm really excited to finally start getting to do magic. And I really hate how when ever an enemy gets backed into a wall they basically break and you just keep hitting them. Then I have to intentionally back off just so I don't feel like I'm exploiting the game. My other complaint is how I've leveled up several times in staffs now, but the game never told me what I got from leveling up. Every once in awihle a tool tip will come up in the loading screen mentioning something, like holding down attack for charged attacks. I think what I was supposed to do was level up once, then open up my character sheet and read the new benefit, but I had a bunch of gold and a bunch of skill points burning a hole in my pocket so I just bought 4 levels at once. I'm pretty sure there are other skills I've never learned. The system has its rewards though, it feels awesome when you sidestep a bad ass and go to town on him from behind.

The biggest problem with this game so far is the conversation system though. And it is awful. And at first I was surprised by that because it's basically just the old Bioware/Bethesda/etc. system of they talk, you have 5 fully fleshed out choices, choose whichever one you want. The problem is it's not refined enough, and so frequently people will be including things in their statements that we haven't talked about yet because I chose the wrong dialogue choice first, or sometimes they'll be talking about stuff that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever (the most jarring example of this was at the end of Chapter 1
the inquisitor made some really weird comment about how we'll see if the don is as good of a man as I say he is, except I've never worked for the Don, I did do the swamp quests but in the city I sided with the Order and haven't seen the Don since and certainly never brought him up to the inquisitor, so here in this big scene I'm pulled out of the moment by stuff that makes no sense.
Before playing this game, I would never say the dialogue system Bioware and Bethesda do are very good, but now I see how good they really are.

But the loads. Oh god the loads. And I suck at combat, so I'm reloading a lot.

Just picked this up during the STEAM. Fun so far but I am oh so terrible at the combat. Is it all just blocking / side stepping until an enemy whiffs then counter attacking? Any tips for a noob? I'm thinking of signing up to be a mage just to be able to attack from a distance.

For reference I did some quests at the bandit camp and now snuck my way into Harbor Town.

Haunted

Sir Garbageman said:
Just picked this up during the STEAM. Fun so far but I am oh so terrible at the combat. Is it all just blocking / side stepping until an enemy whiffs then counter attacking? Any tips for a noob? I'm thinking of signing up to be a mage just to be able to attack from a distance.

For reference I did some quests at the bandit camp and now snuck my way into Harbor Town.
Yeah, basically. Get some points into your melee weapon of choice to be able to chain more combos and parry to get a bit more depth into the combat.

I chose axes because you're usually able to get a free hit in upon approaching an enemy if you gauge it correctly. That coupled with the axes' charge attack means that I could take a good chunk of health off of pretty much any opponent in the game before the fight even started. Aside from that, each enemy type has their own unique attack pattern, so once you've got those down, you should be good.

John

i am completely obsessed with this game

and i LOVE IT

harbor town is the best city i've played in since the bloodlines hubs -- every facet of every objective has social relevance, and there's so much to explore. choosing sides in this war was the among the toughest decisions i've ever undergone in a game. they're both perfectly undesirable; i eventually went with the don, though not really on purpose.

i'm in the swamps now, can't stop!

pringles

Got the 360 version as a christmas present, I was skeptical but I'm loving it so far. Only a few hours in, spend most of my time in the swamp doing quests, now heading towards Harbor Town for the first time.

Looking at screenshots of the PC version make me a bit sad, it looks SO much better, but still the game is awesome on 360. Reminds me a lot of Morrowind in how much fun it is to explore, and how you can get your ass kicked by stumbling into areas with enemies much stronger.

pilonv1

Up to chapter 4 tonight, and chasing down the
Titan Armor
and it's no longer fun. The
Elite Lizardmen
are just brutal, I'm level 23 or something with 7 in swords and 7 in projectile magic and it's still annoying. Fred is only a minor help sadly. I really don't feel like pressing on but I've enjoyed it so much up to this point.

Seventy5

I know I'm doing it wrong, but I picked up the 360 version. I'm enjoying it so far, but is there a day/night cycle or something? I just got to the camp in the swamp and it's really hard to see anything. I tried to up the brightness but it makes everything super washed out looking. Really looking forward to my first duneon, this game seems pretty awesome.

pilonv1

Ended up getting the mage's amulet (+2 to all magic) and now with level 10 projectile it's ridiculously easier. Back to loving this game.

Ricker

pilonv1 said:
That boss fight makes me want to forget I ever played this awesome game.

I keep trying to beat him once in a while,still can`t,good luck...it`s an awful last Boss because you have to do stuff you never had to do during the whole damn game and on the 360,with the awful D-Pad and jump animation,it makes it even worst...up to there though,awesome game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Finally getting around to putting some serious time into this. It's great so far but god damn is it super dark at night. Can't see shit.

The combat in this game is as hard as hell (at least on the PC version), and it's incredibly hard to get money. I also have no way to figure out which skills are usefull and which ones aren't, or whether or not I should buy certain things, like the worker's clothes.

_tetsuo_ said:
Finally getting around to putting some serious time into this. It's great so far but god damn is it super dark at night. Can't see shit.

I think you're supposed to use a torch. But I just turn the brightness all the way up at night.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Trent Strong said:
I think you're supposed to use a torch. But I just turn the brightness all the way up at night.

I do use a torch but I still can't see much past a few feet in front of me, and the torch obstructs my view :lol

Durante

Night is supposed to be dark. Ever been out at night outside a city? Hint: it's dark.
Run for safety or shiver with fear until morning!

(One of the first things I always mod in Bethesda games are their ridiculously bright nights)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I usually do wait until morning, but I'm in an area now where there is no where to sleep. That's why it hadn't really bothered me yet until now. Wouldn't bother me much if the torch wasn't so terrible.

thefil

Trent Strong said:
Oh my God, the combat in this game is hard. I mean.....my God.

At least as a mage, I found it got easier and easier as time went on. That being said, due to computer mishaps I lost my save file and never got past chapter 3 :(.

Ricker

Trent Strong said:

Wait,wait...ennemy hits,usually 3 times,block,block,block,hit,hit,hit,...repeat making sure you are facing the closest one to you in groups...yes it`s hard but it`s all in the timing,you get use to it after a while,unless you meet a Troll that kills you in one hit,right through your block :lol

Ricker said:
Wait,wait...ennemy hits,usually 3 times,block,block,block,hit,hit,hit,...repeat making sure you are facing the closest one to you in groups...yes it`s hard but it`s all in the timing,you get use to it after a while,unless you meet a Troll that kills you in one hit,right through your block :lol

True, it's all timing, but when there are 4 or 5 monsters hitting you from different angles it seems nearly impossible sometimes. Not to mention time consuming.

thefil said:
At least as a mage, I found it got easier and easier as time went on. That being said, due to computer mishaps I lost my save file and never got past chapter 3 :(.

Maybe I should have been a mage instead of a swordsman.

Trent Strong said:

Yea it can be rough. I'm in chapter 2 now
collected half the golden disks so far
and it's gotten easier as a mage. Sunk a bunch of points into fireball and now I'm just chucking them as enemies charge me. Can either get rid of them or knock them down to half their health before they get into melee range. TBH I like the game but the melee combat blows, especially if you're facing more than two enemies.

You just have to be patient as hell, block a ton and wait for an opening or sidestep and counter 99% of the time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Deep in Chapter 2 now, and the game is taking off. I Unlocked the powerstrike ability and combat is SO MUCH better now. Before, it was pretty much pointless to attack an enemy close in on you until they struck unless you wanted your strike beaten which lead to a beat down. Now, not only can I crush blocks and follow up with an attack, the power strike covers more ground so I have an effective way to get into melee range.

Now, with that, fights I would dread turn into a high point because I know most of these enemies are in front of some nice gear. I was completely correct. Cleared out some pesky ghouls and war crickets in a few areas and got a bark skin amulet and a sword skill +1 ring. Killed an undead lord and took his shield AND I can wield a 2 handed bastard sword with 1 hand now. Love this game.

I just started this game today and I'm having trouble finding some armor, I'm still in my shipwreck clothes. I came directly to Harbor Town (I plan to make my way to the swamp and join the Don soon) but I can't find an armor dealer in town anywhere, is there one? The guy at the blacksmith only sells weapons. I thought that armor should be the first thing I spent serious money on before I start upgrading weapons.

Also, the maps really show minimal info, do stores and locations on the maps ever get labeled?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Closest you are going to get to armor is the navy officer's cloths that the local merchant sells. The one ripping everyone off. Proper armor won't come until you have sided with a faction and completed initiation. And no, shops never do get labeled. You will know your way around in no time, though.

Thanks! Also, is there a way to walk rather than run without having to continually hold the shift key down? I'm really loving the visuals and I like to amble through the landscape slowly, whenever possible.

yeah, you can see the location of all traders and trainers you've found. go into the journal and click a trader/trainer and quest map.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dick Laurent said:
yeah, you can see the location of all traders and trainers you've found. go into the journal and click a trader/trainer and quest map.

I completely forgot about that. I never need it though because the game teaches you where everyone is pretty well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did they ever patch the original EU 360 version of the game to resemble the supposedly improved NA release ?

Top Bottom