• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar has 'requested that no UK retailer dispatch GTA 5 before September 16'

So instead of playing the game we'll be watching someone play it on Twitch.tv...

Thanks Rockstar? Instead of pre-ordering I'll just wait on reviews. Not a single fuck was given from either side of the fence.

RulkezX

I wouldn't worry about Shopto , they'll dispatch in time , there is no way they will risk having to pay out £5 for late deliveries to a load of people.

Pre-order cancelled, only reason for me to pre-order anymore is to get them a day early (far more free time on a thurs, compared to a fri/sat/sun).

I'll just wait for the price to drop now

Recall

It won't be any different to Final Fantasy 13 or other big releases where dates try and get enforced, it still ends up in people's hands early. I got my copy of FF13 3 weeks before street date simply due to an over eager local games shop. (In hindsight most likely the best thing to do with a poor game)

The discs are already done and sent to most stores so of course street dates will be broken by the smaller shops or chains so Rockstar has to do its best to try and be on top of the situation.

Do the PSN preorders unlock at midnight like Steam if there is a pre-download period? And assuming so, does anyone know if that's midnight Pacific Time in NA?

I downloaded Hitman Absolution a couple of weeks ago and it seemed a bit slower than usual, was done in about 4 hours. Granted that was a big damn game as I recall.. but I normally get pretty good download speeds from PSN. About half as good as Steam (which is quite fast, usually 10-11mb/s or so) or the same as iTunes.

Since NA can't preload, the game will unlock for us at 12am pst and then you can download. It will be 3am est for me but at least I will have the game ready to play bright and early when I wake up Tuesday morning.

Verendus

Banned
Request from Rockstar probably goes something like this:

Try and dispatch it early. I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, try and dispatch it early one more Goddamn time!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why is it always Europe that almost always breaks Street Dates anyways? I swear, anytime I see a global game before launch, it's always got a PEGI sign.

dyergram

I wouldn't worry about Shopto , they'll dispatch in time , there is no way they will risk having to pay out £5 for late deliveries to a load of people.
This. Shopto are great they have never let me down ill be shocked if I don't get it the day before it comes out. I won't grass them up to the rocksteady police though.

It won't be any different to Final Fantasy 13 or other big releases where dates try and get enforced, it still ends up in people's hands early. I got my copy of FF13 3 weeks before street date simply due to an over eager local games shop. (In hindsight most likely the best thing to do with a poor game)

The discs are already done and sent to most stores so of course street dates will be broken by the smaller shops or chains so Rockstar has to do its best to try and be on top of the situation.

Most stores won't be getting copies until next week. They're most likely sitting in distribution centers at this point if they've left T2's warehouses yet.

If Shopto ships before the 16th they risk losing stock refreshes and any future Rockstar release.... whenever that may be. If anyone takes a stand I expect it to be them given their stance on Cowadooty. But how long can they keep running a business like that?
This. Shopto are great they have never let me down ill be shocked if I don't get it the day before it comes out. I won't grass them up to the rocksteady police though.
Don't worry game journalism has that base covered.

codblops.jpg

Acorn

One year for FIFA they revoked that like a week before release, I can't remember why.

Edit Yep wouldn't place too much hope on this

Terms & Conditions Hide

A Release Date or Compensate claim is only available when you use the first class signed for delivery option only.
If you claim is approved your £5 store credit must be spent within 6 months of issue. The voucher will be invalid after this period.
We reserve the right to withdraw this offer in the event of Royal Mail postal strikes, adverse weather conditions (There can be no compensation offered if you do not receive your item by the release date if it has been due to the delivery being affected by the weather) etc. Bank holidays are also excluded.
If you are not home when Royal Mail attempt to deliver and your package is delivered or collected after the release date, a claim will not be accepted.
If an item is refused, not signed for or lost in transit you are not eligible to make a claim.
You cannot make a claim if you return the item for a store credit or refund.
This offer is only valid for pre-orders that are charged and dispatched before the official release date. *********** is not responsible and will not compensate in the rare event that due to circumstances out of our control we do not ship your pre-order in time for release (e.g. stock shortages, adverse weather preventing deliveries).
This offer is dependent on the service provided by your local Royal Mail sorting office. If 3 consecutive or over frequent claims are made then we reserve the right to withdraw this offer and not accept further claims from your account.
You are not eligible to claim in the event your pre-order is shipped late due to your card being refused by your issuing bank.
The decision on if you qualify is at the discretion of *********** and our decision is final.
Claims must be made within 10 days from dispatch of the item.
This offer can be withdrawn at any time.
This offer is only available for items shipped to United Kingdom addresses.

What do you mean "instead of playing the game"? Are you mad that Rockstar are releasing their game on... its release date? If you're that worried about a delivery, go to a shop.

Except this countries post is renowned for being shit and first class doesn't mean next day like it used to. There will be large number of people who will be getting the game late now thanks to publisher pettiness.

Personally the only reason I get games on launch day at all is because retailers post them out early. If they had to start posting them the day before then I'd never get them on time. And as release days here are usually Fridays, that means a good chance I'd get stuff the next week.

And before you ask I can't get out of the house easily so rely on shopping online.

edit in response to Rockstar withholding future releases. Do people really believe that if all the big retailers stuck to their guns and sent the game out a couple of days early, Rockstar would withhold future games? Not a chance in hell.

edit in response to Rockstar withholding future releases. Do people really believe that if all the big retailers stuck to their guns and sent the game out a couple of days early, Rockstar would withhold future games? Not a chance in hell.
Well GAME are going to toe the publisher's line so any etailer's loss is their gain.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Most major retailers adhere to the street date. Most retailers don't just break them so they can get extra sales.

Except this countries post is renowned for being shit and first class doesn't mean next day like it used to. There will be large number of people who will be getting the game late now thanks to publisher pettiness.

Personally the only reason I get games on launch day at all is because retailers post them out early. If they had to start posting them the day before then I'd never get them on time. And as release days here are usually Fridays, that means a good chance I'd get stuff the next week.

And before you ask I can't get out of the house easily so rely on shopping online.

First class does mean next day for the majority of people, the majority of the time. If you know you're in an area where it's less reliable then you shouldn't rely on the post, with or without publisher restrictions. And since most people don't get games a day early, aside from with ShopTo where it's fairly regular, then we have to assume that most places ship the day before regardless. If everywhere typically shipped two days early, I'd get games a day ahead of release all the time. I don't.

It sucks that you're not easily left with the option to go to a physical shop, but again this isn't something that is going to effect many people. Unless you ordered from Zavvi, as others have noted.

03sho

Preordered mine from Amazon for £35 including free guaranteed release date delivery. Please do not disappoint me Amazon!

I think that this is fine. The game drops on the 17th. We're moving to a digital future and no publisher wants to put that future in peril by penalizing gamers who buy digitally, while other retailers leak out early.

Also I am confident that online retailers that offer release-day shipping will still honor that. Amazon usually keeps these games in warehouses around the country prepared to ship. I know from past experiences that the Amazon shipping warehouse they use for videogames is about 20 minutes from my house. One of the reasons why my city may become another pilot for Amazon's same day shipping for select items.

big_z

Hopefully futureshop in canada still ships preorders early. I'm hoping to get it the Friday before launch day.

Metalmarc

How do you work that one out? Most places in the UK can expect next day delivery.

Even with prime delivery now amazon are sending games out with royal mail which turn up late anyway usually 2-3 days later especially recently, so its just a waiting game hopefully they will have prime via another company buti doubt it theyd have too many vansout at once

though ive been lucky my kz:m vita has been dispatched with tracking saints row 4 did not

Metalmarc

Amazon can deliver in one day.

Not if they send it via royal mail ive had 5 or more times turn up late recent, got a free month, if they send these out via royal mail, im expecting a big melt down esp now that rockstar has halted the dispatch date this is going to be good...but bad

Mafro

Even with prime delivery now amazon are sending games out with royal mail which turn up late anyway usually 2-3 days later especially recently, so its just a waiting game hopefully they will have prime via another company buti doubt it theyd have too many vansout at once

though ive been lucky my kz:m vita has been dispatched with tracking saints row 4 did not
I've got Prime and my copy of Saints Row 4 was sent via tracked first class. It just seems utterly random as to what method they send Prime stuff by sometimes. For example I've had plenty of single CDs or DVDs sent by DPD or UPS.

Albo

Come on Tesco, please fuck this up.
Fuck this up so bad that I receive this on the 10th.

My sentiments exactly.

I can live with it, i ordered from tesco months ago on the £30 deal I think it was

Probably be the following Monday when it arrives but I'll cope

Same here, before it got delayed but I noticed it still said march 2013 on my order page so I tweeted customer support a few days ago just to check it's planned for the 17th and they said "we are endeavoring to send these items to be delivered on the day of release". In my past experience with tesco I've had then deliver early and late occasionally, but they usually deliver on release day. Here's hoping for an early one.

KAP151

Its shit like this that made me pre-order in store, to be able to go to midnight launch.

As much as I HATE EB games and their ridiculous pricing/fuckwit staff, when it comes to GTA, there is no compromises made.

Condolences to anyone that gets shafted by this. =(

Dougald

Dropped? How can they drop the whole point of the service?

Because that way it costs them less money. It used to be "guaranteed next-day delivery", it's now "one-day delivery"

I complained when something was sent first class and arrived late, as it's not a one-day service. They told me they don't guarantee it any more and gave me a free month as "a coertousy"

As a result I don't buy anything I need quickly on Amazon any more, at least unless it's large enough that it has to come via a courier.

haikira

As someone in Northern Ireland, I've definitely had a more rocky experience with delivery times and wouldn't be as confident as some of you. I'm fairly confident Amazon would still definitely deliver this day one for me. However, Rockstar's request casting even just a small amount of doubt on it, is enough to now have me buy it from a Tesco store.

Not surprising really they on lockdown. Some retailers sold GTA IV earlier. I recall Argos selling it to a few people.

Also Shopto aren't stocking Ghosts for this very reason. So I wonder what their reaction is to Rockstar doing this.

Covfan

I got my copy of GTAIV on the Saturday before it was meant to come out because some store still had it as releasing on the Friday instead of the following Tuesday.

Might just buy two £25 vouchers from a site to get the DD version of the game.

Because I'm a horrible, horrible person, I sort of want this to backfire. Like, Rockstar tries to keep it away from retailers until the last possible moment that there's some disaster and barely any copies get out or no-one gets it before Monday and there's a giant shitstorm over the whole control freak thing being so unnecessary.

Absolutely terrible for gamers and don't want it to happen for them, but the "I'm a shit person" part of my brain would find it so fun.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah they're okay if all you want to buy is the latest shooter. You're better off going to an electronics shop or Gamestop though.

Well GTA V will be one of the biggest games this year so it won't be hard to find it in UK supermarkets like Tescos, Asda (which is owned by Walmart coincidentally) etc. Some of the biggest 24hr ones have a bigger games selection than others as well.

Top Bottom