• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal Rumble 2015 |OT| 30 Men enter. Roman remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...?

*stops to think about this*

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Why would they package a turd with two of their best prospects in years and hope try to use it as a vehicle for the turd? If that's true, then their investors should be worried. That is really fucked up logic that you'll use two better talkers and wrestlers to promote a third guy who is considerably worse in both areas than both of the other group mates. Like this is the first I've heard of that claim, and it makes zero sense to me. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of those meetings. How many people with common sense had to bite their tongues? PEACE.

WWE has had big plans for Reigns for a long time. He's got "the look". I don't think he's a turd either he just is being pushed way too soon, before he can develop any sort of personality of his own.

Rapstah

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...?

Why would they package a turd with two of their best prospects in years and hope try to use it as a vehicle for the turd? If that's true, then their investors should be worried. That is really fucked up logic that you'll use two better talkers and wrestlers to promote a third guy who is considerably worse in both areas than both of the other group mates. Like this is the first I've heard of that claim, and it makes zero sense to me. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during one of those meetings. How many people with common sense had to bite their tongues? PEACE.

Someone of Roman Reigns' size, look, family (this may actually be the most important one), and athletic background doesn't go through developmental every day. Especially not in 2012, when he was brought up, which was pre-NXT, regardless of how much they like to claim he's a successful NXT call-up. In their eyes, they were putting the big guy they wanted to push with two more experienced guys they didn't really want to push so he'd learn from them. And he did! Maybe not as much as he could have.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...?

Personally, I wouldn't say he's a turd. He wasn't with The Shield either, he just needs time to grow into WWE. Vince is the turd for pushing him too early. I feel for the guy.

jesus christ when you see it all compiled like that...he feels so forced. None of it comes across naturally at all. They should really make him the strong silent type. The less he says the better. It's not like you can't push guys like that. Not everybody has the mic skills to be Rock or shit, even Cena (who I hate on the mic, but at least he doesn't sound like he was rehearsing his promos in the mirror the night before).

ultron87

This whole plan could have been perfectly fine if Reigns hadn't been injured. He could've gained some more credibility and experience as a singles competitor, maybe gotten better on the mic, and the fans wouldn't feel robbed by him leap frogging all the faces who were carrying things while he was out. I don't think he would've gotten as over as Dean and Ziggler since he really didn't do that much of interest between the Shield breakup and going out on injury, but he would've at least had a chance to do some cool stuff people might have liked him for before winning the Rumble.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
They should make that his gimmick, a guy who forgets his lines and cuts shitty promos

They would never do that, even if 1992 WCW was savvy enough to realize that once the Shockmaster fell on his face he could only be booked as a comedy clumsy jobber.

Actually, WWE owns those rights now. Reigns should be the New Shockmaster. It would be an improvement over what he's doing now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...?

Every faction is formed with the idea that one guy is going to break out and be the star. Pairing a green as grass Reigns with by far the two best guys in developmental at the time sure as hell wasn't an accident.

I don't worry about Rollins at all anymore. The guy is extremely driven and has enough backing from Triple H that his time will come eventually but Ambrose has such a relaxed view on wrestling that he could easily find himself in the role of Dolph Ziggler (constant recycled midcard feuds). If he's ok with that, more power to him. I think there's something to be said for guys who can just enjoy the ride and not worry about their placement on the card.

Into

If after a Rumble win, you have to get a major star to endorse your "star", then your "star" might not be the star that you hoped he was.

Its not WWE's fault, its Philadelphia, last year it was Pittsburgh Royal Rumble 2014, also New York crowd is mean to them, Chicago too, and quite frankly the entire southern states too, they like that "raslin" with drama n shit. And also all the fans who boo Cena, they are also bad. But everyone else is fine!

I only started watching wrestling after wrestlemania last year. My thoughts were damn that dude is pretty bad ass but then soon you see he can't wrestle nearly as good as Rollins, Ambrose, or anyone else.......then when they decide to let him talk....LOL
This is it. He's got the look and some sort of natural charisma, but it falls apart once he starts to do his actual job. He was protected for a good long while there with the Shield covering his weaknesses, but now that he's on his own, the audience has turned on him. Everyone sees through this sort of shit eventually.

fader

Do you guys agree with Dave Meltzer how he says Roman Reigns is definitely not the guy? I don't see anything special with Reigns even if his promo's were not scripted.

Do you guys agree with Dave Meltzer how he says Roman Reigns is definitely not the guy? I don't see anything special with Reigns even if his promo's were not scripted.

Agreed. There is not a single thing about Reigns as a performer that stands out. He is below average in every single respect.

Rapstah

There might not be another "the guy" for a couple of years. In that sense, Roman Reigns is probably the closest they'll get. It's complicated.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Everyone just has to continue to BOLIEVE!

Wait is Bo even still wrestling? I don't watch often but I don't even see him referenced...

Rapstah

Everyone just has to continue to BOLIEVE!

Wait is Bo even still wrestling? I don't watch often but I don't even see him referenced...

He got injured and then sometime during the last week of constantly changing their minds about how the Rumble would go, he was removed from it, so he didn't return last night. He may not return at all.

There might not be another "the guy" for a couple of years. In that sense, Roman Reigns is probably the closest they'll get. It's complicated.
They had this problem in the mid 90s and came out of it a few years later having established the two best workers of that generation as megastars (HBK and Bret). I wish they had the patience to do this again.

I don't think guys like Ziggler or Bryan are "the guy" like Cena either, but they could at least have someone for fans to believe in and hold on to until they do. Right now, it's like why even watch? Who is anyone watching for?

VoxPop

Would there have been this much backlash if Bryan/Ziggler didn't win but stayed till they were the final guys in the ring?

I felt eliminating them so early was the most retarded thing they could do. Totally just killed the crowd from then on and just created a hostile environment for themselves.

I wonder if they will stick Rollins into the main event and have him win to salvage Mania.

I thought they went over the top. Together.

No pls rewatch, Big Show botch his own elimination, Rock slapped him a few times and he was supposed to fall over the top ropes instead he falls inside and rolls out, Kane eats a people's elbow and he rolls out of the ring, biggest fucking failure finish in WWE..

BTW, no shock, but the Raw in Hartford and Tuesday's Smackdown tapings in Boston have been cancelled due to the snow.

Might be a blessing in disguise for them for now.

Bizazedo

Would there have been this much backlash if Bryan/Ziggler didn't win but stayed till they were the final guys in the ring?

I felt eliminating them so early was the most retarded thing they could do. Totally just killed the crowd from then on and just created a hostile environment for themselves.

I wonder if they will stick Rollins into the main event and have him win to salvage Mania.

Eliminating Bryan early if he wasn't going to win was, in theory, a smart move. Gave the crowd time to settle and get over it.

Problem is, he did nothing in the ring and there was nothing cool to happen afterwards. Maybe Bubba should've been after Bryan?

Ziggler....felt like trolling at that point, I dunno. They were in a no win situation as soon as they decided Reigns would win. People who were there were thunderously booing Reigns at the beginning of the show, hours before the Rumble match.

No pls rewatch, Big Show botch his own elimination, Rock slapped him a few times and he was supposed to fall over the top ropes instead he falls inside and rolls out, Kane eats a people's elbow and he rolls out of the ring, biggest fucking failure finish in WWE..

That was after they had been eliminated. They came back to abuse Reigns. Biggest failure of a fan watching the show of 2015 thus far.

Heroman

Banned
They were already out.

TheCrow

They ran back in after being eliminated by Reigns.

Rapstah

Kane and Big Show started fighting, Roman Reigns threw them both out when they were trying to eliminate each other, then they both re-entered the ring and as they were beating Reigns up, The Rock came out. Please rewatch.

Mahonay

Banned
Eliminating Bryan early if he wasn't going to win was, in theory, a smart move. Gave the crowd time to settle and get over it.

Problem is, he did nothing in the ring and there was nothing cool to happen afterwards. Maybe Bubba should've been after Bryan?

Ziggler....felt like trolling at that point, I dunno. They were in a no win situation as soon as they decided Reigns would win. People who were there were thunderously booing Reigns at the beginning of the show, hours before the Rumble match.

That was after they had been eliminated. They came back to abuse Reigns.
That's the thing. The Bryan elimination by it's self could have been made up for, but instead as the Rumble got deeper it just gave us more and more sudden eliminations of fan favorites, and an excess of jobber entries. After Ziggler and Ambrose were knocked out, the drama was gone and every single person watching knew Reigns was about to win. Hell, people cheered on Rusev when he crawled back in the ring at the end.

Looking forward to listening to Austin's next podcast to hear what he has to say about this shit.

Hasney

Yeah Punk talked about having to talk Vince out of it because no one would care. Then either Punk or someone else put together Ambrose and Rollins, and WWE threw Reigns in there with them to make the team. Someone else here probably has a better memory of this story.

That's it. Punk wanted Ambrose, Rollins and Hero, but it was comprimised to Reigns instead of Hero.

Shield wasn't going to have Big Show, Shield wasn't supposed to exist and Big Show was just supposed to be his heater.

Pimpwerx

Every faction is formed with the idea that one guy is going to break out and be the star. Pairing a green as grass Reigns with by far the two best guys in developmental at the time sure as hell wasn't an accident.

I don't worry about Rollins at all anymore. The guy is extremely driven and has enough backing from Triple H that his time will come eventually but Ambrose has such a relaxed view on wrestling that he could easily find himself in the role of Dolph Ziggler (constant recycled midcard feuds). If he's ok with that, more power to him. I think there's something to be said for guys who can just enjoy the ride and not worry about their placement on the card.
I get that, but this is like Turd Dibiase getting the bigger push than Cody. Like you can't ignore the superior member of the group. It just makes no sense to me. PEACE.

fader

He seems to believe that Ambrose is the closest person if compared to Reigns. Which I was a fan of Ambrose during his Rollins fued.

Madness

The royal rumble was brutal. Don't even know what happened to the quality of the wrestling too. Everything seemed so amateurish from what I remember in the past. People just waiting for their hits, staring elsewhere for the entries of others, almost everyone seemed lethargic. Maybe it's because I haven't watched in a while.

The booing, we want refunds, cheering the heels, etc. I wonder how RAW will be tonight. Usually after Wrestlemania, the following RAW is rowdy, who knows after yesterday though how upset fans still are.

Lrrr

Reigns is not the guy right now, but he could be a few years down the road. Personally, I see big time star potential in him, but he definitely needs more seasoning. If WWE would just push Bryan, who is clearly the most over guy they have, until fans naturally start rejecting his schtick, then people would be clamoring for Reigns to become the top dog. This is just how wrestling works. Instead, WWE, by eliminating Bryan early last night, continue to send the message that he's not who they want as the face of the company and since fans already know this, every other wrestler is going to suffer a backlash.

Contrary to the IWC's beliefs, Reigns didn't get booed last night because he stinks on the mic or because he has a limited moveset. No, it was because the fans wanted Bryan to win and once again Vince and co. said "Screw You!". In watching the Rumble, the only other wrestlers I feel could have won and not been booed out of the building were Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler and neither guy had a chance in hell of going on to face - and defeat - Lesnar at WM.

Mahonay

Banned
If after a Rumble win, you have to get a major star to endorse your "star", then your "star" might not be the star that you hoped he was.

Its not WWE's fault, its Philadelphia, last year it was Pittsburgh Royal Rumble 2014, also New York crowd is mean to them, Chicago too, and quite frankly the entire southern states too, they like that "raslin" with drama n shit. And also all the fans who boo Cena, they are also bad. But everyone else is fine!
Millennials, god damn it!

Bog

Junior Ace
Related, I'm remembering the Punk podcast where he says the Shield was originally going to have the Big Show in it or something.

Vince is comically out of touch.

At the Bischoff/Pritchard debate yesterday, someone asked Pritchard if Vince has EVER been in touch. He danced around the answer and said you can't expect a 70 year old billionaire to be in touch.

Bizazedo

Contrary to the IWC's beliefs, Reigns didn't get booed last night because he stinks on the mic or because he has a limited moveset. No, it was because the fans wanted Bryan to win and once again Vince and co. said "Screw You!". In watching the Rumble, the only other wrestlers I feel could have won and not been booed out of the building were Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler and neither guy had a chance in hell of going on to face - and defeat - Lesnar at WM.

Again, Reigns was getting thunderous boos hours before the Rumble started. You can't tell me all 17k already knew Bryan was going to lose due to the Net. They'd have accepted others. Hell, Ryback got support.

They just don't like Reigns right now.

[edit]Although, fun to theorycraft about, if it was due to the Net and knowing Bryan was doomed, that's an even bigger problem for WWE.

Ithil

Pretty much. Meltzer said Ambrose is the guy, until Bryan came back, in which case Bryan should be the guy at least for the time being. But not Reigns, either way.

He just doesn't have "it". He's a look and nothing more.

Reigns is not the guy right now, but he could be a few years down the road. Personally, I see big time star potential in him, but he definitely needs more seasoning. If WWE would just push Bryan, who is clearly the most over guy they have, until fans naturally start rejecting his schtick, then people would be clamoring for Reigns to become the top dog. This is just how wrestling works. Instead, WWE, by eliminating Bryan early last night, continue to send the message that he's not who they want as the face of the company and since fans already know this, every other wrestler is going to suffer a backlash.

He will never be "the guy" now, they've poisoned him by pushing him too soon. He'll always that that stink with a large part of the audience. He doesn't have the charisma of a Rock where he can bounce back from a flopped face run, nor is the WWE equipped to facilitate that anymore with their overscripting and creative stagnation. You keep blaming fans for this, but it's all WWE's own fault. They're the reason Cena gets booed, and the reason Reigns got slaughtered last night.

Lone Wolf

I actually watched the Royal Rumble after not watching wrestling for probably 15 or so years. I was surprised to see Kane and Big Show still a big part of main events. Overall I thought the rumble was a big disappointment compared to when I watched. One question though. Dolph Ziggler(sp?) seems to be an athletic dude that the WWE needs. HAs he ever been pushed? I don't know much about him, just noticed that he has talent (to me)

no idea what you watched they both went over the top. They were eliminated before Rock even came out.

kirblar

I actually watched the Royal Rumble after not watching wrestling for probably 15 or so years. I was surprised to see Kane and Big Show still a big part of main events. Overall I thought the rumble was a big disappointment compared to when I watched. One question though. Dolph Ziggler(sp?) seems to be an athletic dude that the WWE needs. HAs he ever been pushed? I don't know much about him, just noticed that he has talent (to me)
Ziggler is great, but has a serious issue with lacking the killer instinct/selfishness to push through to the top tier. He makes his opponents look like a million bucks, but doesn't make sure to make himself look good as well.

Kane and Big Show started fighting, Roman Reigns threw them both out when they were trying to eliminate each other, then they both re-entered the ring and as they were beating Reigns up, The Rock came out. Please rewatch.

my bad, i skipped a few sec didn't see that just heard rock came out and skipped to that part, ok i was wrong...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ziggler is great, but has a serious issue with lacking the killer instinct/selfishness to push through to the top tier. He makes his opponents look like a million bucks, but doesn't make sure to make himself look good as well.

Speaking of Ziggler, if for some reason he did end up winning I'd imagine the pop he would have got would have been like when he cashed in post-WM a few years back. Mainly because NOONE would have expected it happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpMwUND2-I

Lrrr

Again, Reigns was getting thunderous boos hours before the Rumble started. You can't tell me all 17k already knew Bryan was going to lose due to the Net. They'd have accepted others. Hell, Ryback got support.

They just don't like Reigns right now.

[edit]Although, fun to theorycraft about, if it was due to the Net and knowing Bryan was doomed, that's an even bigger problem for WWE.

People have known Reigns was being groomed to win the Rumble and go on to defeat Brock ever since Summerslam, when the first reports came out (at least that's when I first read them) and WWE has held steady to that course. Only the truly deluded didn't see last night coming from a mile away. This has the double-pronged effect of Bryan's comeback meaning nothing and that's what fans have picked up on. It's not just Bryan's elimination that bothers people, it's that he was tossed out like a mid-card jobber. He didn't make it to the final four. He wasn't booked to have a strong showing. He wasn't eliminated by someone new he could get into a feud with heading into WM31. He was unceremoniously dumped early like the B+ player the authority keeps saying he is. That's why people flipped out.

Mahonay

Banned
He had the World Heavyweight title for a bit before they combined the belts. He got one push and then that was about it.

They actually put him over hugely at Survivor Series two months ago, but then in the following weeks they failed to follow up on it and he's been out of the picture of the most part again.

Kane and Big Show, ugh. Kane is their fallback for every match they don't know how to end now. He interferes literally every week in at least one match. And they still put over Big Show like some unstoppable force and no ones buys it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom