• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
But wait, if there are no devkits around, how can we expect third-party games at launch or even during the first year? I'm a boring software dev, and no game developer, but I image most time in games is spent polishing and optimizing, which can only be done if you can have a hands-on experience with the hardware itself, especially low-level optimisations.
It's one of those rumors that seem believable, mainly due to Nintendo's track recond on third-party relations, but also one I'd hope to be false.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the ride and seeing this topic get crazier and crazier by the day. The thirst for NX is real.

Red Devil

If it's tame now, what does happen to gaf when NX will be officialy announced? o_O

You know, the reception can go both ways actually...

But wait, if there are no devkits around, how can we expect third-party games at launch or even during the first year? I'm a boring software dev, and no game developer, but I image most time in games is spent polishing and optimizing, which can only be done if you can have a hands-on experience with the hardware itself, especially low-level optimisations.
It's one of those rumors that seem believable, mainly due to Nintendo's track recond on third-party relations, but also one I'd hope to be false.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the ride and seeing this topic get crazier and crazier by the day. The thirst for NX is real.

Yes, it's the issue with these rumours.

ChaosXVI

I'm also on the side that hope the screen controller is false. I love the Gamepad, but I'd love to see the evolution of the GC/Pro Controller, and then be able to have the handheld double as the remote play device. But I really, really hope the rumored specs are true. But I'm not going to get too excited until I see an NX game in action that isn't a Wii U cross-port.

Basically, when I see what Retro or EAD Tokyo bring to E3. Then I'll get pumped.

MrV4ltor

Let's say Nintendo announces the NX next month and if the rumors are true, dev kits will be sent out after the reveal. Now let's take a wild guess and say that the system launches in November, because Nintendo loves that month. That would give des half a year to do the optimizations that they weren't able to do with just the SDK. I'm no dev, but that doesn't sound undoable to me.

ozfunghi

Your name stands for 10 (year old) Kid?

Yeah, but he chose that name 18 years ago.

All my convos took place within Twitter direct messages or Gaf private messages (yes some gaffers gave me that info you're reading in those posts).

What do you want from me? Text messages from devs? Dev kit screen shots? A pic of my sources pointing and smiling at the Nintendo logo in the front entrance of Nintendo HQ?

It's a method of communication. It doesn't discredit anything.

You're implying I just put "NX rumor" in Google and grabbed any rumor I could and passed it as my sources? Because Nirolak can verify that isn't the case.

And I labeled that rumor T0.5 because it was a short convo with a Spanish guy who claimed he had info on that studio.

Ok, to be clear... did these people you talked to privately (on twitter or gaf) show you any form of identification, or legitimacy? Is there any reason to think your sources aren't just 14 year old Gamefaqs members? I'm not asking for names, but just about the way you knew it was trustworthy. Did you contact them or did they contact you?

Looking into the Square Enix conversation, Square owes us some of their games on the NX console if it is capable of running the games easily.

After their relationship got to the point where they added Cloud in Smash Bros., they need to bring the remake and FFXV onto the NX.

And the ones who played the KH spinoffs on Nintendo platforms for a long time, Square owes them KH3 on the NX.

If those games I mentioned could be on the NX, then Square is on a good move.

This isn't the time where Square can ditch Nintendo, I know Nintendo will make a console capable of those games so Square can do their job. They don't have to pull crap on Nintendo fans where they wait for FFXV to be successful on the NX to judge whether or not to continue to port their games there.
(That is according the 10K rumor if I read correctly)

After all, Square is open to having their games on Xbox One too, so why not Nintendo.

That's my opinion on the Square situation.

Banned

They have software development kits where they can do most of the game development. When the actual dev kits with final specs come, they'll optimize it and launch the game.

Looking into the Square Enix conversation, Square owes us some of their games on the NX console if it is capable of running the games easily.

After their relationship got to the point where they added Cloud in Smash Bros., they need to bring the remake and FFXV onto the NX.

And the ones who played the KH spinoffs on Nintendo platforms, Square owes them KH3 on the NX.

This isn't the time where Square can ditch Nintendo, I know Nintendo will make a console capable of those games so Square can do their job. They don't have to pull crap on Nintendo fans where they wait for FFXV to be successful on the NX to judge whether or not to continue to port their games there.

After all, Square is open to having their games on Xbox One too, so why not Nintendo.

I wouldn't say "owes us" but it would be nice to have them back. At least KH3, DQXI, and Neir.
I think KH3, at least, would do pretty well there since they're already making a X1 port

Asd202

And the ones who played the KH spinoffs on Nintendo platforms, Square owes them KH3 on the NX.

What? SE doesn't own Nintendo and it fans anything.

Red Devil

I'm also on the side that hope the screen controller is false. I love the Gamepad, but I'd love to see the evolution of the GC/Pro Controller, and then be able to have the handheld double as the remote play device. But I really, really hope the rumored specs are true. But I'm not going to get too excited until I see an NX game in action that isn't a Wii U cross-port.

Basically, when I see what Retro or EAD Tokyo bring to E3. Then I'll get pumped.

Well, the GamePad is somewhat the evolution of the Pro Controller, if this controller is real it might be an evolution of the Wii U GamePad.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They have software development kits where they can do most of the game development. When the actual dev kits with final specs come, they'll optimize it and launch the game.

Is it possible to identify the GPU architecture from SDK though?

I wouldn't say "owes us" but it would be nice to have them back. At least KH3, DQXI, and Neir.
I think KH3, at least, would do pretty well there since they're already making a X1 port
Well considering, most of Square's console games have never been on Nintendo consoles in such a long time and remained exclusive Playstation and Xbox One, especially Final Fantasy in particular, I say owe is the right word.

If they don't, I'll be pretty angry, unless for some miraculous reason, the NX ends up being disappointingly less powerful again. :p

Which I doubt, but Nintendo consoles not being able to run Square games is the very reason Final Fantasy VII never came on the Nintendo 64 and how Square essentially broke up with Nintendo.

Nintendo has been a victim of bad timing in terms of Square having their console games on Nintendo consoles for far too long. It would be nice to see Square and Nintendo to really cement their relationship again just like in the NES/SNES days.

Mory Dunz

What? SE doesn't own Nintendo anything.

yeah....no one owes anyone anything

If anything, Square kinda needs nintendo to reach some of their lofty sales goals, especially for their JP games. I don't see Xbox One pulling much for KH3 and FFXV at all. To reach that 10 million, they'd need PC and whatever other console for sure. And stuff like DQ11 will probably benefit from being on a nintendo console as well.

atbigelow

My thought is that they will allow you on an OS-level to play+stream from "dumb" terminals. They could allow Wii U VC titles this way (as it'll put a hardware requirement on).

My dream is that Nintendo's platform becomes hardware agnostic to a degree. They just care that you have a screen (TV, Wii U Gamepad, etc.) and inputs (NX controller, Wii U gamepad, etc.). In this sense, you could easily build a dumb remote play-only Gamepad equivalent.

But that doesn't mean you would have to use it.

Banned

And the ones who played the KH spinoffs on Nintendo platforms for a long time, Square owes them KH3 on the NX.

For sure. Nintendo is still big in Japan. An FF on NX would outsell the Xbox version exponentially, while the Xbox one would maybe sell more than the NX version in the west.

There's no other console in Japan that can run these games besides PS4. If square wants a larger ROI they're gonna port these games to NX for at least the Japanese audience.

Vena

Is it possible to identify the GPU architecture from SDK though?

Probably not. The API calls are likely to be proprietary to Nintendo, and the best you could likely decipher is vendor specific commands (which will almost certainly be AMD).

You'd have a guess at the generation of GCN and supported functionality, that'd be right in the forefront of the development APIs. If you see something like PDA (Primitive Discard Accelerator) then you are sort of... limited in the options of what the system could be designed around supporting. You can sniff out a lot of information about the underlying hardware if you have the SDK and access to top and low level API.

Likewise, you can suss out the CPU architecture based on the calls and design to a large degree. This is likely how the CPU performance was found out by Geek's contacts.

Its also possible that the SDK outright has information and documentation that says: "Uses GCN 1.3."

Nanashrew

Banned
For sure. Nintendo is still big in Japan. An FF on NX would outsell the Xbox version exponentially, while the Xbox one would maybe sell more than the NX version in the west.

There's no other console in Japan that can run these games besides PS4. If square wants a larger ROI they're gonna port these games to NX for at least the Japanese audience.

Yep. And with how Japanese publishers only really look to their own Japanese audience, it's much more likely. Even if not right this instant, it will be for the ROI.

Let's say Nintendo announces the NX next month and if the rumors are true, dev kits will be sent out after the reveal. Now let's take a wild guess and say that the system launches in November, because Nintendo loves that month. That would give des half a year to do the optimizations that they weren't able to do with just the SDK. I'm no dev, but that doesn't sound undoable to me.

I don't know how much time is spent optimising, relatively speaking. But seeing as you need ~2 months for printing and distribution, time is really ticking. I guess it's doable if the NX is powerful enough that the pre-devkit builds can already run decently smoothly.
(My experience with optimising is just telling the customer to buy more powerful machines, so I am not really an expert, lol.)

I do remember they ported Dragon Quest 10 for Wii U for Japan at least, I personally thought it was a questionable move to not have it overseas as well.

I'm crossing my fingers that Square ports their big titles to the NX, Nintendo and Square right now are in perfect timing to enhance their relationship.

Zelda, Pikmin 4, Luigis Manson 3, Smash Bros NX at launch would be a great 1Party-linup. There will be definitely some 3party ports or exclusives too.

I think that would be a great lineup for the type of consumer who bought a Wii U.

Hopefully Nintendo has a few games for launch that are nothing like those.

Asd202

First thing you need is Japanese people to actually buy home consoles. Second 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo home consoles whether is Japan or West. Also FF XV NX port won't really do that much in Japan, most people intrested in the game will get PS4 for it. FF or JRPG in general are very frontloaded sales wise. SE success is more contected to their games performance is the West rather then some kind on potentional NX install base. Though if NX will get a nice, steady install base that buys something more than only Nintendo games it will definitely happen.

@10k: So anyone can post you something and you write it down in this thread? Do you verify your sources (pm partners) in any way? If not the infos aren´t worth much.

People should not get hyped about anything in this thread or the crash could be very very hard/brutal when "NX" is announced ;)

Mory Dunz

What have the splits been in the west though? Despite 360 getting plenty of JRPGs, I'm not sure the audience is there yet. Weren't splits for Type-0 around 80/20 or was it 70/30? KH3 is gonna be bad imo. I think at least 80/20. I'm not one of those people (i.e. fanboys tbh) who say stuff like, Xbox version should be cancelled or stuff like that. I'm saying that it won't take much for a port to be "viable". It's not a CoD situation where a Wii U version does a fraction of the other versions.

First thing you need is Japanese people to actually buy home consoles. Second 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo home consoles whether is Japan or West. Also FF XV NX port won't really do that much in Japan, most people intrested in the game will get PS4 for it. FF or JRPG in general are very frontloaded sales wise. SE success is more contected to their games performance is the West rather then some kind on potentional NX install base.

A nx console might do more for those games than Xbox 1 though. Japan, assuredly, and the west is a maybe depending on the game. I kind of see it as "they might as well". But of course dealings are more complicated than that.

Square Enix owes Nintendo and it's fans games? hahahahaha

Also, why would people in Japan buy a late port of FFXV? 10k, I don't think it'd sell that much at all. Home console gaming is niche as it is already, the people who want to play FFXV will buy it on PS4 and be done with it. I sincerely doubt there are that many people, other than a handful of Nintendo fans who are holding out to play FFXV on a Nintendo system.

ReyVGM

This E3 is going to break GAF completely. Zelda NX and three possible console presentations.

Even if they remove the avatars and make the forum text mode with no graphics, it will still go down.

LordOfChaos

Nintendo need to reveal it already so 3rd party/indies can talk about it.
I imagine Yooka-Laylee would get a NX port for example.

Yeah, imo Nintendo should be doing a lot to get that on their platforms! They don't have Banjo, but they could get its spiritual successor at least.

ReyVGM

Square Enix owes Nintendo and it's fans games? hahahahaha

Also, why would people in Japan buy a late port of FFXV? 10k, I don't think it'd sell that much at all. Home console gaming is niche as it is already, the people who want to play FFXV will buy it on PS4 and be done with it. I sincerely doubt there are that many people, other than a handful of Nintendo fans who are holding out to play FFXV on a Nintendo system.

I can feel the reverse-fanboyism in your words. That leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

The PS4 is not selling gangbusters there. So if the NX ends up being a lot of people's first 'next gen' console, then FF15 could very well sell well enough, even if it's a late port.

I wonder if the new gamepad could be sold separately and function like an OnLive streaming device. If you own the game stream it from anywhere or "rent" it from their servers for a few hours.

The PS4 is not selling gangbusters there. So if the NX ends up being a lot of people's first 'next gen' console, then FF15 could very well sell well enough, even if it's a late port.

I didn't say it was. Look at the franchises sales history in Japan - Final Fantasy is a front ended game.If people in Japan want to buy the game, they'll buy it for PS4 or Xbox One on September 30th. A late NX port isn't going to add any meaningful numbers to the LTD.

I think if NX is powerful enough, a port is likely. But it's not going to make any meaningful impact on sales. Your logic reminds me of the 'Is there any reason Wii U won't dominate Japan?' thread from a few years back.

MuchoMalo

Banned
You'd have a guess at the generation of GCN and supported functionality, that'd be right in the forefront of the development APIs. If you see something like PDA (Primitive Discard Accelerator) then you are sort of... limited in the options of what the system could be designed around supporting. You can sniff out a lot of information about the underlying hardware if you have the SDK and access to top and low level API.

Likewise, you can suss out the CPU architecture based on the calls and design to a large degree. This is likely how the CPU performance was found out by Geek's contacts.

Its also possible that the SDK outright has information and documentation that says: "Uses GCN 1.3."

That one isn't likely since 4th-gen GCN (as it would more likely be called since "GCN 1.x" is a term coined by the media) likely isn't even in the hands of many studios, or has only been there for a few months. It wouldn't be very useful.

I wonder if the new gamepad could be sold separately and function like an OnLive streaming device. If you own the game stream it from anywhere or "rent" it from their servers for a few hours.

Bleh. If they're going to charge for some service, make it Virtual Console On Demand please.

Red Devil

I didn't say it was. Look at the franchises sales history in Japan - Final Fantasy is a front ended game.If people in Japan want to buy the game, they'll buy it for PS4 or Xbox One on September 30th. A late NX port isn't going to add any meaningful numbers to the LTD.

I think if NX is powerful enough, a port is likely. But it's not going to make any meaningful impact on sales. Your logic reminds me of the 'Is there any reason Wii U won't dominate Japan?' thread from a few years back.

Not sure why people are talking about FFXV anyway, I think the FFVII remake has a better shot than that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom